IMDb > Zapped Again! (1990) (V) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Zapped Again! (V) More at IMDbPro »

My brief review of the film

Author: sol- from Perth, Australia
4 July 2005

Todd Eric Andrews is brilliant in this film, working with a very witty, charismatic and charming character. His presence is not only enough to compensate for a silly plot and a predictable, lifeless romance, but he is also able to bring this sequel to a level higher than the first film. The are a number of amusing moments, and they are genuinely funny this time round, with likable even if very silly characters and Andrews heading the cast. Just like the first entry, this is not a film to watch for nudity, as there is very little. It is not one to watch for the premise either, because all the science behind it is not deeply examined. But, it is a film to watch for amusement - simple good fun.

Sure it's bad . . . if you're expecting Citizen Kane.

Author: VisionInBlack from United States
5 June 2005

This is one of those movies that suffers from painfully poor reviews here at the IMDb, from people who are the most pretentious film snobs you will ever not meet. If you are going to judge this film against something with legitimate cinematic merit, like Citizen Kane, or Seven Samurai, or whatever stock staple film you choose, of course you will be disappointed.

However, if you just want a ridiculous early 90's teen film for a little escapist fun whilst flipping through the channels at 4am on a Saturday night, then you could do a lot worse than this movie. If you are a big fan of teen movies in particular, you may find this pretty enjoyable. It's no Breakfast Club, don't get me wrong. It's complete crap. But it's fun crap.

So, if you are the kind of person who generally enjoys teen movies and has a high tolerance for zany antics, over the top performances, and silly plots, then you should watch this movie in the event that you happen across it.

If you are the kind of person who refuses to acknowledge anything as cinema except for films produced during the French New Wave, then not only should you avoid this movie, but also, maybe not waste so much time and energy criticizing it so harshly, you Godard-watching hippie.

Oh, come on.

Author: Adam Klein from Atlanta
17 June 1999

It's not all that awful ... it's actually sort of fun.

Yes, it's completely formula. Yes, it's total cheese. That's what everyone expects, though. It's light, it's funny, and it's got just a smattering of naked. Just what you need for 2 in the morning.

Lighten up.

AK

Zapped Again...........Trapped Again........That Telekinesis Rap Again

Author: bkoganbing from Buffalo, New York
18 November 2008

There was nothing so terribly great about the first Zapped movie, certainly nothing that warranted inflicting a sequel on the American movie going public. But who knows what the producers thought in making another film. I can't believe there was a great demand for a sequel.

All the tumult from the Carrie like prom night that ended the first Zapped movie has died down. It's some eight years later and a whole new group of kids is at Emerson High School. A new misfit of a kid in Todd Eric Andrews comes to town.

After that it's the usual angst as the various cliques in the school shun him and he joins the science club where they find in the lab where Scott Baio accidentally discovered that telekinesis formula. It's seems like he hid a stash of it behind the Albert Einstein picture in a hole in the wall. When Todd imbibes, the high school world becomes his.

Of course Todd's got eyes for the head cheerleader Maria McCann even though Kelli Williams of the science club really digs him. Maria's property of Reed Rudy the head jock at the school and he and Todd keep having it out. Of course Reed's overmatched from the gitgo with that telekinesis thing Todd's got going for him.

The climax at the homecoming was really dumb. Rudy frames the science club and gets their space for his exclusive fraternity and then further tries to humiliate them at the homecoming. But putting them in charge of the food? Dumb, Dumberer, Dumbest, that's just begging for payback. What a MAROON.

It's funny like the first Zapped in a juvenile sort of way and its for them I'd recommend it.

It keeps you reasonably entertained for 90 minutes, which is its purpose

Author: James Terrell from Gainesville, FL
11 December 2002

The only reason I watched _Zapped Again_ was because I had again watched the original _Zapped!_ after 19 years (see my review for _Zapped!_). From some of the reviews in video books and on the IMDb, I was prepared for an unmitigated disaster. Surprisingly, I found myself reasonably entertained for an hour and a half.

First of all, I should say that _Zapped Again_ isn't a great movie. Its origins and status as a low budget, direct-to-video movie clearly show. The plot is very superficial, the constant double entendres (especially the "wiener" jokes) get a little annoying, and the stand-up-for-your-friends-and-don't-go-with-the-popular-crowd moral that pops up in every teen film has been conveyed much more effectively. Even the special effects are worse than the original _Zapped!_, which actually came out seven years earlier.

But in spite of all of this, I didn't think this was half bad, probably because I went in with lowered expectations. One reason was because the movie doesn't rely on strong profanity, sex scenes, or gross-out scenes to entertain its target audience, the way so many other teen movies do. In fact, this is basically a PG-rated movie with some nude scenes incongruously thrown in--just like the original _Zapped!_. I'm no prude, and I have to agree with the reviewer who said that the movie is "gosh darn wholesome," but not all movies--or even all teen movies--require racy elements. Maybe this IS too much like _Saved by the Bell_, but it does have PG-rated material (and those nude scenes, the only reason why this is rated R).

I should devote a separate paragraph to Kelli Williams, who plays the hero's love interest (by the way, her mother, Shannon Wilcox, plays the hero's mom in the opening scenes). I had never heard of her before watching _Zapped Again_ (I never watch TV, so I hadn't even seen her on _The Practice_), but let me tell you, she helps this movie immeasurably. You see, her character is supposed to be a science nerd, just like Felice Schachter in the original _Zapped_, but Kelli lights up the movie every time she appears onscreen. Not only is she the perfect "sweet nice girl" (I always had a weakness for those characters), but she plays this part without overacting or resorting to caricature; she gets it just right. Although roles like this are never meant to win Oscars, Kelli takes this little part in a direct-to-video flick and actually does something with it. Although I'm sure she'd like to forget all about _Zapped Again_, the movie is much better for her presence. I'm not surprised that she went on to her present success on _The Practice_.

The acting is actually better than in _Zapped!_, which is one main reason why I liked _Zapped Again_ better. However, I thought that the types that

some of the characters were supposed to represent were inconsistent with those characters' portrayal and actions. Kevin (played by Todd Eric Andrews) acts just too "cool" to be an outcast nerd; I can't see why he would have any social problems. As for Kelli Williams as Lucy, I just couldn't accept her as a nerd girl (although I certainly don't object to her presence here). Not only does she look too good for the part, but her attempts at nerdy intellectualism fall flat, and the two scenes where she inexplicably wears glasses (and just as inexplicably takes them off) look like weak attempts by the filmmakers to establish her character. They should have just had her play a straightforward "nice girl" (which she does admirably). Linda Blair doesn't cut it as "the hottest teacher in the school": not only does she not look "sexy" enough, but her character is also just too nice.

Still, I thought that _Zapped Again_ was a half-decent movie, especially because the acting was better than _Zapped!_ (maybe because 1989 was a more exciting year than 1982, and had that hip attitude?). Hey, it kept me entertained, and sometimes I like to take a break from the Criterion Collection and watch something that does nothing more than entertain you.

If you demand that all teen movies and sex comedies have refugees from WB Network shows, big budgets, and great soundtracks (always a big selling point with teen films), then you'll hate _Zapped Again_ (which, by the way, is more a remake of _Zapped!_ than a sequel). But as long as you lower your expectations, and as long as you don't expect a late 80s teen classic like _Heathers_ or _Say Anything_, you might get a little something out of this.

Excellent Love Story Helps Save This Quirky Teen Comedy

Author: tony lefcourt from Belleville, Ontario, Canada
30 August 1999

Zapped with Scott Baio, borrowed from The Exorcist and Carrie and hordes of other films in the horror genre. The sequel tends to go in a different direction, borrowing from teen comedies like Revenge Of The Nerds, Some Kind Of Wonderful and Teen Wolf. The outcome is surprisingly better.

Similar premise as Revenge Of The Nerds finds a group of nerdy Science Club members being muscled out of their giant Science lab by the jocky Key Club members. The Key's want a place to party and the Science lab is just big enough to accommodate their needs. A hitch arises when the new kid in school, Kevin Mathews (Todd Eric Andrews), a sort-of outcast jock, persuades the Science Club members not to give in. The rivalry comes to a head when the two clubs face off in an event called ‘The Penguin Run.'

In the middle of all this rehashed material emerges a formulaic but sweet love story. This is the main reason I found the film so appealing. Kelli Williams(The Practice) plays Lucy, a shy, kind-hearted but nerdy Science Club member who falls in love with Kevin on the first day of school. Kevin spends so much time chasing Amanda, a beautiful Key Club member, that he doesn't notice Lucy's subtle advances. When Lucy attempts to pour her heart out, her awkward insecurities doesn't allow for the words to come the way she intended, `Before you came here all I cared about was studying and now...' Needless to say Kevin chooses the more confident Amanda. Heartbroken, Lucy soon distances herself from him. It is only then that Kevin notices just how beautiful the less attractive girl is.

The only reference to the original Zapped comes with the discovery of prune juice bottles stored inside the Science lab wall. Inside the bottles is the formula which gave Baio telekinesis in the original. Kevin Mathews uses the formula to help win ‘The Penguin Run' among other things. Zapped Again doesn't get bogged down in the implications of having telekinesis the way the original film did. It's more like a background thought in this one.

Despite what some reviews say about Zapped Again, it is not an overtly sexual movie. The amount of nudity in Again equals about one half of a second of screen time. Watch for Linda Blair, Lyle Alzado and Karen Black as teachers.

A truly fun movie

Author: Jackal-26 from Alabama
19 December 1998

The 80's, wow, they gave us some pretty wacky stuff. Stuff like Michael Jackson as we now know him, the appreciation of music from any other time period, and the teen movie.

This movie is a teen movie. It's not supposed to be a complex mental thriller. It's a film to make you laugh . Not so much at its jokes, but the movie itself. Sure the plot isn't Oscar material. Maybe the acting isn't superb. But the movie is hilarious.

The whole plot is uproariously preposterous. The movie goes against a lot of teen-flick principles. The hero isn't very geeky. The nerdy girl waiting on the sidelines is quite attractive, and at one point the movie goes black and white for a Casablanca scene that still makes me giggle. The whole prune juice telekinesis thing is never made clear, but that's ok, because the zapped part in the title only comes up about 3 or 4 times.

This movie was made in 1990, but the early 90s were simply the last revels of the 80s. This movie is an 80s teen-flick. The jokes are 80s and the music is the 80s. But the 80s were funny.

I love this movie, it is a great flashback to a less stressful time, back when some crazy magic thingy would always save the day. Simply put, this movie is a great party movie, it features a really cute girl, Kelli Williams, and it's worth a rent.

Not the best, yet not the worst...

Author: Courtney
27 June 2003

I was reading some of the user comments and one in particular caught my eye as it said pretty much all that I was thinking. I just recently caught this on USA, and I must say it's not half bad. I mean - I've surely seen a lot worse. Kelli Williams is one of my favorite actresses (LOVED her on The Practice!) and to see her as a *nerdy girl* (which, in my opinion, she wasn't) was different. Before watching, I read an interview she did that quoted her on this movie, saying it was bad (which - if you've seen her other work - Practice or There Goes My Baby does make sense). I thought it was nice and I thought her presence in the film made a big difference.

Not as good as the original...but fun for a B-movie.

Author: AlbertV79 from Florida
20 March 2003

I loved the original Zapped! with Scott Baio and Willie Aames. So when I first heard there was a sequel, I was shocked. I thought this is gonna stink. However, seeing it on cable, I actually enjoyed it. I like how they have Ms. Burnhart now the principal of the school where Barney first used his powers. Also the new fresh cast (at the time) delievered some B-moviesque performances. And Linda Blair??? Ummm...I would've liked to see Heather Thomas reprise that role but it's all sheer out fun. The song at the end is too laughable...ahhh...B-movies like this...so much fun and cheese to enjoy!!!

Simplistic entertainment at its best.

Author: Jack (jonohmeyers) from candyland cali (and I like it sometimes)
30 June 2002

This is your brain. This is your brain on prune juice. A lot of people hate this movie, but it offers entertainment of the mindless kind! And it's good for that purpose. I saw it when I was teenager (I'm 24 now) and it has been a classic between my homies and I. Buddah help you if you don't like this film when I show it to you (GET OUT)!;-) I worry about people who dislike it so much. It means they are too serious. I suppose you need to be in the mind frame of a kid to really enjoy it, without jaded sexual expectations (and weirdoes, don't rent/buy this movie if you're just horny). Not the typical eighties sex fest. Rent it or buy it just to see the stupid mistakes (they are unreal) and the endless jokes you can get from it. Classic! It's genius. So bad it's good. For instance, when they have the super cheesy 13th annual penguin run, then they say the key club has held the title since the 40's or something, IT JUST DOESN'T ADD UP! and its GREAT! Or when they lock doors and three seconds later they just pop open. HILARIOUS, because it's not intentional!!! C'mon now! If you cant find humor here, you are DEAD or just too damn serious. Don't expect an award winning script, it's about prune juice and telekinesis!!!!!