IMDb > Total Recall (1990) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Total Recall

Total Recall More at IMDbPro »

Page 10 of 37: [Prev][5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [20] [Next]

could have been better, but not that bad.

Author: Wired_Desire from Dallas, TX
10 August 2003

For the most part, it was a good movie. there were a couple unneeded scenes, and at times the dialoge was cheesy. Paul Verhoven has directed a couple other science fiction flicks, and generally ruined them. I seen this movie for the first time last summer, and was actually surprised, i was expecting a stinker.

Totally Wicked!

Author: Arazmataz from Uk
4 August 2003

ha, i only write nice reviews!! Um, i love Arnie movies, even if his character seems the same in every movie, Ben Richards is a grrrreat person for him to be playing. i saw this movie when i was a young un, and i have loved it since....maybe i just like 80's styled movies! I dont like action movies really, and this is the epitome of, but its so watchable! The thought that the American Government would do something like this has been in my mind since i read Armagedon the musical by Robert Rankin, and i liked this movie just because it was so anti-police!!! In the great words of NWA! This movie is wicked and worth watching for the cocky come backs, Arnie bein wicked hXc and the 80's dancin, i mean honestly! Yeah, Who do love and who loves you? yes Yes YES!

A cinemagoing experience - and then some.....

Author: templer_doom (templer_doom@yahoo.co.uk)
20 July 2003

There are occasions when you go and see a movie with an audience in a cinema that the true power of collective enjoyment really comes across.

TOTAL RECALL is one of those moments. I saw it four times within a month of it's release in the UK and lapped up not only the movie, but also the reaction of those around at key moments.

I regarded it at the time as the best sci-fi thriller since ALIENS and felt it was more enjoyable than the likes of THE ROAD WARRIOR, ROBOCOP and TERMINATOR. However, in recent years, my opinion has shifted to respect all the said films a bit more in terms of what they offer and all are excellent in their own right, maintaining the conventions of storytelling whilst creating new twists in their own contexts.

TOTAL RECALL is a movie that had to be made. After years of lagging in development hell in a number of sources, it is also one of two films that the now-defunct Carolco successfully brought to the screen with spectacular fashion from that place (T2 being the other one) I seriously doubt whether David Cronenberg's more urban version of Shusett's adaptation of Philip K Dick's WE CAN REMEMBER IT FOR YOU WHOLESALE would have worked and indeed I would have expected something a bit more bizarre. In fact, I feel that Cronenberg covered that territory well in VIDEODROME.

It is also sad that Sharon Stone never really managed to do as well after BASIC INSTINCT and this film, as this is her best showcase and for all the discussion about 'the scene' in BASIC INSTINCT, I actually thought she was sexier semi-clothed in TOTAL RECALL. Rachel Ticotin (who I first saw in FORT APACHE: THE BRONX) was the perfect contrast to Arnie's hero Quaid.

The action is superb and is punctuated with director Paul Verhoeven's signature style (inspired by his experiences as a child in WWII!) of violence and unlike some of today's film, the visual effects don't overshadow the story or performances. No need to give away anything, just enjoy it on it's own terms.

Another of my choices of films of the 90s!!

Misleading movie

Author: rabani (rabani@orange.net) from Coventry England
21 June 2003

At first it seems like its going to be a brilliant suspensful sci fi mystery and the movie is exciting. When Quaid gets his ass to mars from then on the movie loses its plot and it goes down hill so it gets boring and tasteless and obviously predictable. Arnie looks serious and stone faced. (he usually does) i must stress the fight scene in the alley involving Harry and his goons is is great and well performed and sexy Sharon Stones peformance is dynamic.

Inspired movies like The Matrix and the Fifth Element

Author: joninoxford from Oxford, England
15 June 2003

A superb film, largely underrated (due to Arnie being the lead actor) which inspired many other films. Think of the Matrix - the scene where Neo has to swallow a pill to return to real reality - that was also in Total Recall - and the plot of the Matrix (is all life a dream?) was clearly influenced by Total Recall. Also I was reminded of many other later sci fi movies, and had to keep reminding myself that they were ideas original to this film first. Even film The Bourne Identity with Matt Damon film seems to correlate with this (secret agent who has forgotten everything but still remember his agent tatics and fight skills). Credit where credit is due - a superb, very watchable film!

Vibrant action and glitzy sets make a lavish spectacle.

Author: silverzero from Dungarvan, Ireland
13 June 2003

Paul Verhoeven's paranoid fantasy `Total Recall' is a dazzling futuristic sci-fi. The short story by Philip K. Dick is adapted brilliantly, and in many ways is similar to `Blade Runner'. The main difference is the fact that `Total Recall' is not sadistic, over-rated tripe. But there are many things that separate this from your average gung-ho action movie. Verhoeven's directing styles are marvellous and he creates a familiar, but gleaming vision of the near future.

What's better than the brawny action is the Twilight Zone-ish atmosphere that is created. The film hits a peak when it reaches the half way mark and we don't know if this is reality or an artificially induced dream. Then again the movie is over-violent. This sometimes tarnishes the sparkling shine, but even the blood has that polished look to it and the stylish comic strip look certainly adds to the shimmering effect.

The general acting standard is average if unremarkable. Arnold Schwarzanegger isn't the greatest actor, but he does the required job. Verhoeven regular, Ronny Cox is moderately good in his part as the standard villain, ditto Michael Ironside. Sharon Stone doesn't get enough screen-time, but is still very good as the vivacious wife. The same can't be said for Rachel Titocin, who is very shallow as the typical significant other.

It's quite obvious that the standard of visual effects have drastically improved in the past 13 years, but the special effects in `Total Recall' are still spectacular. It's evident that the old technique of puppetry work is used, but the artists create the vast metropolis that was seen in recent blockbuster `Minority Report', but the settings are brighter, flashier and have an added dose of glitz. It's not very often that I can really say this, but this is a sci-fi movie with a brilliant script. There are enough added philosophical twists to dizzy the mind and alter everything that has gone before.

In typical Philip K. Dick fashion, the film ends on a question mark. Was he really on Mars or was it part of the dream? The answer is for you to decide. The movie starts out brilliantly and continues up this slant until it reaches a peak at the half way mark (when he meets the man from Recall). After that it fizzles into action formula but retrieves its philosophical characteristics when we learn the truth about the movie's protagonist.

One of the coolest, most vibrant and most violent science fiction movies in years, `Total Recall' is a fantastic demonstration that action movies can have brains. There is an equal measure of style and substance so I highly recommend this futuristic noir. My IMDb rating: 7.5/10.

Has it been that long?

Author: Andrew Eastenegger (andrew_eastenegger1984@hotmail.co.uk) from United Kingdom
11 June 2003

I can't beleive it's been 12 years since this sci-fi masterpiece was released. It only seems like yesterday when I was watching the original screenings on Sky Movies. Arnold was right when he remarked that this movie holds up very well all these years on. In fact it puts all of today's sci-fi movies to shame. And nobody deserves more credit for this than director Paul Verhoeven for his exciting visionary style. When Recall first came out it broke new ground in special effects technology (e.g. the camera panning away from Arnold on the train as we get a beautiful and realistic view of the Martian surface. Add to this the brilliant cast and star power of Arnie and Sharon Stone. Ronny Cox was brilliantly evil as Cohaagan as was his equally nasty henchman Richter (played to perfection by Michael Ironside). Verhoeven has given Sharon two of her most popular roles ever - as Arnie's wife/nemesis Lori and of course Catherine Tramell in Basic Instinct. The one thing that made these characters so enduring was their unbelievable evilness. Sharon has the ability to play a complete sweetheart one moment and then shoot you dead without any hesitation the next. The movie also gave Arnold one of his most popular roles and dominates every scene he's in. One especially exciting scene was his memorable and heart-pounding fight scene with Sharon. All of their scenes together are unfortunately few, but show their amazing chemistry together - you can't take your eyes off the screen. Combining the awesome special effects with Arnie and Shazza'a strong screen presences resulted in one of the most unforgettable movies in recent memory. It is also notable for being Verhoeven's biggest U.S. hit to date and Schwarzenegger's first action movie to top $100 million.

10/10 Excellent

P.S. Sharon would have made a perfect female Terminator (T-X). Watch her kick Arnold's ass in this movie and you'll see what I mean.

One of the greatest action/sci fi movies out there

Author: b-man-1 from U.S.A.
4 June 2003

Total Recall (1990) is one of the greatest action/sci fi films out there. I'm not even going to try to write a review to this film, because it would be long and complicated. But, why is the overall imdb rating so low? At this time it is 7.1. It should be a 10! And to the people who are writing on the message boards for this film- I do think this film is all just a dream, and no, I don't think there will be a director's cut dvd, since Artisan Entertainment released a great special collector's edition. This is one of Arnold's greatest films, full of action and gore! Go out and buy this film!

Very good Arnold film

Author: Mitch Brown from Los Angeles
17 May 2003

Watching this again for about the 100th time, I have to say this movie is one of my favorite Schwarzenegger movies. He really expands his acting ability here. He isn't just a big bad dude (although he certainly is that here), he is thoughtfull and even funny.

Yes, this movie's science sucks, but what sci-fi movie truely is accurate as far as science? If Schwarzenegger died at the end of the movie, audiences would have been up in arms.

One other note, I REALLY liked the acting of Ironside. He always plays the evil dudes, but this is one of his best performances along with Ronny Cox.

One of the best Arnold flicks ever...

Author: SiCHris0517 from Florida
11 May 2003

Arnold is perfect in this role as bad-ass hero, similar to some of his other movies (predator, T2). I like how the violence was done, pure shoot 'em up with no regard for human/mutant life, because of this I advise that the viewers need to be at least 8 and up, : ) j/k. In conclusion, good-movie, good action, corny (yet at the same time funny in a meathead kind of way) one-liners. This movie reminded me of what Arnold was all about and how he is a model action star. Overall I give it a 3 out of 4.