IMDb > Total Recall (1990) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Total Recall

Total Recall More at IMDbPro »

Page 9 of 37: [Prev][4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [Next]

A bullet on Sharon Stone's head

Author: Pretty Face
24 December 2003

After watching this movie so many time, I still can't accept the fact that Arnold Schwarzenegger put a bullet in Lori's head for Melina. I mean Lori in the movie is a perfect woman. Lori didn't kill Arnold when she had a chance. She only wanted to bring him back for memory implant so that they can be together again. Lori wanted to kill Melina because Melina killed all her body guards and hurt her.

That Richter guy, he was taking way to long to get to Lori. He was late twice for saving Lori. And Cohaagen is mad. Why he had to send Lori to Arnold? Arnold punched Lori in the face earlier.

What I recall of the movie

Author: cinematic_aficionado (cinematokrisis@gmail.com) from London, England
6 December 2003

Total recall is a typical sci-fi movie packed with action and of course Arnie. I could just say a typical Arnie movie however there is some plot in there which will keep you interested throughout, and Sharon Stone does well too. Overall a good movie to watch on a Sunday night with a takeaway.

One 'total' movie

Author: swipht1
1 November 2003

This was a very cool movie. The special effects must have been spectacular for the time. The plot was very rich, with many twists and turns in the story. I enjoyed myself quite a bit. Big, bad fun from Arnold Schwarzenegger. 8 out of 10.

Action-filled sci-fi thinker

Author: CarelessMoonDruid from .: Fiendish Writings in the Dark :.
6 October 2003

In my honest opinion, this is the most intellectual of Arnold Schwarzenegger's movies.

The screenplay and plot lines are so well written, coherent, imaginative and complex and cohesive. The performances of these stellar actors are absolutely professional, quality and believably portrayed.

PLOT

While his wife teasingly steers him clear of his obsession, Doug Quaid is obsessed with Mars and Earth's colonization of the Red Planet. In an attempt to realize his obsession without damaging his marriage, he goes to the much-touted "Recall," a memory implants vacation team to have at least the memory of having been to Mars.

But something goes wrong, and before they can implant the "secret agent" portion of his mental "vacation," they hit a memory cap which was already installed by an anonymous governmental bureau known only as "the agency." He freaks and begins screaming at the techies, "YOU BLEW MY COVER!!"

END PLOT

From that point on, the action does not stop. But this is not your typical Schwarzenegger fare. This action is underlined and surrounded by intelligence, thoughtfulness and a main plot riddled with complicated sub-plots which are cleverly written and beautifully executed. The sets are creatively designed, the scenes are wonderfully constructed, and the landscapes of Mars are pure sci-fi/effects genius. The visual effects are some of the best I've ever seen ANYwhere, and the finished product leaves you feeling more enlightened and thoroughly entertained.

For these reasons I say, this is one of the best of AS's movies. It tops T1 & T2. These three, are his absolute best in the genre of sci-fi/action. A definite "Must See," even if you are a fan of sci-fi alone and do not really care about the Schwarzenegger element.

As a PS, I would like to add that the Special Edition DVD version of this movie is much more enjoyable with advanced digital sound, remastered Widescreen visuals and a commentary with AS and the director Paul Verhoeven. There is also a behind the scenes special that shows you why this movie won the Academy Awards for special achievement in visual effects.

It rates a 9.1/10 from...

the Fiend :.

oh yeah!!

Author: wingchun_al from Ireland
12 September 2003

sorry, but if you dismiss this movie because it is too violent (as many people seem to do) then you are missing out on an excellent film. the story is what sci fi should be - thought provoking and unique - not just a story that takes place in the future - but could really happen at any time. arnie always gets slagged for his, "bad" acting but this is just a fashionable thing for high brow film fans to say. he gets the job done - even though english isn't his first language. how many american hollywood actors can act in a different language? not too many i'd bet.

in fact - all the performances are very good. ironside is the ultimate henchman - his portrayal is stone cold. ronny cox also returns from verhoevens previous film - robocop - to play a similar role. i also love that taxi driver on mars - he was kinda funny. the much hated/loved action is nicely choreographed - and very bloody.

all in all, an excellent movie. don't dismiss it because it has action/violence/arnie/whatever.

among Verhoeven's best North American films

Author: rdoyle29 from Winnipeg, Canada
31 August 2003

Total Recall revels in the state-of-the-art special effects and frantic violence characteristic of most of director Paul Verhoeven's American productions. Though based on a story by Philip K. Dick, Total Recall is more of an action movie than a philosophical rumination on identity. Still, the film gets a lot of mileage out of the questionable notion that "you are what you remember." The screenplay was finally credited to seven screenwriters; it had bounced around Hollywood for a number of years with different directors and stars before it reached Verhoeven. The director's brand of high-octane, cartoonish, violence is a good fit with the material, though his style may have been better-suited to 1988's more satiric Robocop. The movie received a special-achievement Academy Award for its impressive effects.

THE BIG SPOILER

Author: BigTimeMovieFan (VRWCman@aol.com) from St. Paul, MN USA
21 August 2003

The big debate about "Total Recall" is whether or not everything after the trip to "Rekall" is real, or a hallucination. Well, if you watched the movie closely, you already suspected the truth: Everything after Rekall IS a dream.

When Ah-nold is getting ready for his "Ego-Trip", you hear a tech in the background say "Hey, that's new...blue sky on Mars." At the end of the movie, when the frozen oxygen core of Mars (Huh?) is thawed to create an atmosphere, the sky is blue. (Quite a trick, considering that it's the NITROGEN in our atmosphere that gives our sky its blue color.)

Also, when the "girl" program is loaded (athletic, brunette, sleazy, and demure), the screen briefly shows us a full-face shot of...Rachel Ticotin! As Arnie says later in the movie, "She's real! I dreamed of her before!" So the computer at Rekall picked up her image from the dream that opened the movie, and implanted it in Arnie's Ego Trip.

Those are the little clues, to say nothing of the description that the Rekall salesman gives about bad guys, mutants, aliens, and all that stuff. The Big Clue, the one that tells you it's all a dream, comes at the very end. Instead of fading to black, the screen fades to white. As Verhoven explains on the commentary track, this is Quaid (Arnie) getting lobotomized, just as the Rekall technician predicted.

All right, now that I've established that I'm a TOTAL movie geek, let me just say that I liked the movie. Somewhat. It was no "Star Wars" and it certainly wasn't "Alien", or "Blade Runner". But it was OK. The jokes were good, especially the babe with the three hooties. (A sly nod to "Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy", which gave us Eccentricia Gallumbits, the triple-breasted whore of Eroticon 6.) I also loved Arnie's line "Relax, you'll live longer." I've used that one many times, and it comes in handier than "I'll be back."

It's not Verhoven's best, but give it a try. At least it's better than "Showgirls".

action at its very best

Author: william (willsgb) from london
17 August 2003

Arnold really excels in this sci-fi thriller. director Paul Verhoeven spent $100 million on this i believe, but it was worth it. the film did ok in the box office i think, and has been praised thoroughly since.

Doug Quaid goes to a memory journey type place, where he is able to go on a holiday in his mind, virtual reality. anyway events conspire to reveal to him that the life he is living and believes is true, and his memories, are nothing more then a cover. He decides to go and find out why, and what the truth is and regain his memories. His search takes him to Mars!

the special effects make the world seem plastic but are also very good, and mars is great. the music is very apt for this film. It even adds to the fun. the one liners are great, the fighting scenes are fast paced and enjoyable, and the plot is interesting and keeps you guessing. the acting is good and the whole film is a classic. Verhoevens plastic world reappeared in Starship troopers, but that film, this and Robocop are three of the best action movies of all time. and this film really packs a punch! suspend your belief for 2 hours and enjoy!

could have been better, but not that bad.

Author: Wired_Desire from Dallas, TX
10 August 2003

For the most part, it was a good movie. there were a couple unneeded scenes, and at times the dialoge was cheesy. Paul Verhoven has directed a couple other science fiction flicks, and generally ruined them. I seen this movie for the first time last summer, and was actually surprised, i was expecting a stinker.

Totally Wicked!

Author: Arazmataz from Uk
4 August 2003

ha, i only write nice reviews!! Um, i love Arnie movies, even if his character seems the same in every movie, Ben Richards is a grrrreat person for him to be playing. i saw this movie when i was a young un, and i have loved it since....maybe i just like 80's styled movies! I dont like action movies really, and this is the epitome of, but its so watchable! The thought that the American Government would do something like this has been in my mind since i read Armagedon the musical by Robert Rankin, and i liked this movie just because it was so anti-police!!! In the great words of NWA! This movie is wicked and worth watching for the cocky come backs, Arnie bein wicked hXc and the 80's dancin, i mean honestly! Yeah, Who do love and who loves you? yes Yes YES!