IMDb > Spaced Invaders (1990) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 1 of 5:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [Next]

Spaced Out Fun!

Author: Space_Mafune from Newfoundland, Canada
24 August 2003

After mistaking a Halloween re-broadcast of Orson Welles' classic radio adaptation of WAR OF THE WORLDS for a real Martian invasion, a group of moronic Martians shows up on Earth looking to conquer only their plans go awry as they find themselves truly out of their element and in reality all alone.

This really is often quite good and funny, with some decent lines (just check the memorable quotes) to boot. It will most likely appeal to Sci-Fi fans. This has passed the test of time for me as seeing it again recently it proved much better than I expected it to be. Despite a cast made up of no-name stars, this may just be the funniest Martian invasion ever put to film. Interestingly enough, the Martians themselves seem to represent almost every classic Action Hero/Sci-Fi Hero stereotype there is (cool 50s teen, fighter pilot, fearless astronaut, brave soldier and kooky scientist). Fun for the whole family.

"Prepare to DIE! Earth Scum!"

Just what is so bad about this movie?

Author: Randy Young (boomryoung) from hot springs, ar
11 December 2001

I first saw this movie in 1990 when it first came out on video. I agree that it is total nonsense, but it is also one of the funniest movies that I have ever seen. The very idea that a group of "advanced aliens" would be running for thier lives from a bunch of country hicks is totally side-spliting. Why do all science fiction movies have to be about murderous beings? This group of Imperial Martian Atomic Navy misfits reminds me of some of the idiots that I knew in the army! No wonder they were left on asteroid patrol while the rest of the fleet went to war. Leave this movie alone. We need more like it.

A fun romp thru SciFi Silliness

Author: davidemartin (davidemartin@cs.com) from Milwaukee, Wisconsin
9 February 2001

Looking at some of the negative posts, you really have to wonder what some people do for fun....

I was lucky enough to see the film during its all-too-brief theatrical run. The audience laughed its heads off. I'm watching a tape of it as I type and it's still dang funny!

It's also got a sweet side, with unexpected turns of genuine pathos. The late, great Royal Dano is especially effective as the lonely, down-on-his-luck farmer Wrenchmuller. Ariana Richards and J.J. Anderson are great as the lead kids. And the actors in the Martian suits, although limited to mime, do a great job

Another thing to look for is the background details. The film is full of homages, pastiches, and references to other SF and fantasy films. Take a look at the Martian costumes next time. One of them is wearing a Marty McFly costume, another is a Ghostbuster, a third is in a House Atreides uniform, and a fourth is wearing a Last Starfighter flightsuit.

TOTALLY FUNNY

Author: becca239 from Connecticut, USA
24 September 2004

I've watched this movie so many times the video is worn out. It is a movie I can put on whenever I need a good laugh. The farmer is hilarious, the duck boy is too. It's an overall feel good movie. Even kids 12 and up can watch it without being inundated with sexual innuendos, violence and cursing. The TNT award at the end is the best... "well, you can just say your prayers." LOL Oh yea, and so are the two old guys and the old woman after the martians fly by them when they are crash-landing on earth - "okay, go get the bucket" It's great! I think kids under 10 might be frightened by the enforcer drone, maybe. I don't know though, with all the crap they see on TV on a regular basis, it might not be. So go out an rent it today! If you have Blockbuster Rewards(TM) program, you can use one of your free rentals and you'll enjoy.

A hilarious spoof of the the War of the Worlds genre

Author: joseph_lauer
24 January 2002

This movie is not for everyone. You're either bright enough to get "it" or you're not. Fans of sci-fi films who don't take themselves too seriously definitely will enjoy this movie. I recommend this movie for those who can appreciate spoofs and parodies. Everyone I've recommended this film to has enjoyed it. If you enjoy Monty Python or Mel Brooks films, you'll probably enjoy this one. The voice characterizations are done in a tongue-in-cheek manner and the one-liners fly fast and furious.

Very fun take-off on alien movies!

Author: wjeffer from Los Angeles, CA
31 May 2000

Zany and fun -- that's all this movie is about! Don't think about trying to read too much into it. If you do, you'll be sorely disappointed. It's just a farcical take-off on monster movies and contains some real good slapstick moments. No violence, no sex, no foul language -- safe for the kids and fun for the adults!!

cute, above average movie

Author: Charles McGrew from US of A
4 July 2003

I thought this would be another goofball ET ripoff (like the awful "Nookie"), but it is, instead is light-heartedly enthusiastic, with clever dialog, and a generally don't-take-ourselves-too-seriously attitude that makes this a great late-night (or late-saturday-afternoon) entertainment. Give it a watch! "That's it! Take me to a Government Lab, and cut me into wafer thin sections."

This movie was pure fun

Author: JoeB131 from United States
23 August 2009

"I moved out here to get away from this kind of thing!" The small town sheriff laments.

"This happens a lot in Chicago?" His deputy asks.

Well, no, not really. The plot is that a group of Martians mistake a Halloween Rebroadcast of Orson Welles' War of the Worlds as an account of a real Martian invasion, and conclude they need to get in on the action! What follows are a bunch of mishaps involving the Martian's haphazard attempts to conquer the town of "Big Bean, IL". Everyone concludes they are kids in really good costumes, except for the Sheriff's daughter and her friend, a kid in a duck suit.

The Martians themselves are comical, and you get the impression they are no threat to anyone but themselves pretty early on. It's a fun family movie.

Soo funny!

Author: Karen S from Ohio
29 May 2002

I don't know how anyone could hate this movie. It is so funny. It took a unique mind to come up with this storyline. It's not your typical alien movie. These aliens are so stupid and confused. You need to rent it at least once.

Fun.

Author: Phil_H from United States
18 September 1999

Stupid? Yes.

Laughable? Yes, again.

Fun? Definitely!

This movie accomplishes it's primary goal: entertain and have fun. That's all a good movie need do.

Worth a rent, at least one time.

Page 1 of 5:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [Next]