"American Playhouse" Sensibility and Sense (1990)

« Prev | 137 of 163 Episodes | Next »

Smart and thoughtful.

Author: k h from United States
2 July 2001

This is one of those rare things, a play that actually works as a film. Filmed in New York on one set, this is a very well made 'talking picture'- three older people get together and talk about their lives and their past together, and we see them both as old and young. The great Elaine Stritch is played young by Lili Taylor, and they're both marvelous and angry. Tom Aldredge is played young by Eric Stoltz, and they're both terrifically needy and smart, and Jean Simmons is played young by Trini Alvarado, and they're both just lovely. All the actors really nail it, and of course they're helped by a really great script. The story of lost idealism and love and choices is rarely done well, but this one did it. Featuring a whip smart script and a great supporting roles played by Jeffrey DeMunn and Lori Singer, this is one to watch for. I saw it on PBS and am still waiting for it to come out on DVD. In fact, I wish the whole series of "Great Performances" was available to rent. I remember they did a lot of plays in the 70's that I'd love to see again.