IMDb > Problem Child (1990) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 1 of 10:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [Next]

Really refreshing!

Author: Mark Nowiasz (buckaroo+imdb@midworld.de) from Dortmund, Germany
7 May 2003

I really enjoyed this film - which was truly different.

To be honest, I'm absolutely fed up with portrays of children (especially in commercials and family movies). Children are always portrayed as so cuuuuuuute and nice - actually, I'm worried about getting tooth decay because of the sweetness involved.

Problem Child is just different - the child is a complete evil brat which causes havoc during the whole movie.

Basically, the film concentrates on showing the evil side of children - and yes, people, there is a cruelty in children. Do you remember your own childhood? The bully who loved to harass weaker children? How about children treat outsiders, like fat/ugly peers? What about kids torturing animals like flies or frogs?

Sure - this comedy is far of and unrealistic, but so are cuuuuuuute and sweet family movies.

So - I quite like the movie, it's a black comedy which is a nice counterpoint to sweet & cute comedies like Home Alone.

7 / 10

This Is Funny

Author: Theo Robertson from Isle Of Bute, Scotland
12 September 2004

I'm not a fan of comedies but any movie that starts with a scene of school children writing to their penpals with the following dialogue :

" Dear Queen Elizabeth . How is England ? "

" Dear Bishop Tutu . How are you ? "

" Dear bow tie serial killer . I have all your newspaper articles "

has something going for it , and the best thing about PROBLEM CHILD is the amount of very bad taste comedy . It's almost like a Farrelly Brothers comedy ( THERE'S SOMETHING ABOUT MARY , KINGPIN etc ) in both feel and execution . Okay so it's a goofy movie , okay some of the acting is poor , and okay you can see some of the jokes coming a mile away ( Oh a bear costume . I bet a real bear will turn up within the next five minutes ) but I watched it on TV one wet Sunday afternoon and had a few laughs

I can't help thinking that the poor response from many forum members might be down to the fact that this was marketed as a " family comedy " . I can just imagine many parents renting this from the video store , taking it home and watching it with their cherubs only to find it features attacks on religion and family pets . I reckon Joe Stalin would have enjoyed this movie as much as I did

there is nothing wrong with this movie

Author: Steve from new orleans
10 April 2002

many people complain that junior gets away with everything and it is not right. if these kinds of things were going on by a real kid in real life, then there would be a problem. i have only four words for those of you who claim it should not be watched due to the example it sets for children. IT IS A MOVIE, not to mention a COMEDY, which are usually not to be taken seriously. if every movie that set a bad example for children was pulled off the shelves, we would have lost many incredible movies. i saw this movie when i was a child, and no i did not go try to do any of the things that junior did. although i was a child, i knew there would be serious consequences for acting as junior did. this is a very entertaining movie which i enjoyed very much. for those of you who who trash talk this movie because "it could be a bad example for children" you might want to get in touch with reality because there is nothing wrong with this movie.

Funny...even if you don't want to admit it.

Author: gridoon
15 October 2002

This movie is undeniably tasteless, and toward the end it runs out of steam (one car chase too many). BUT...it's often funny, and that has always been the essential mission of a comedy. By the way, this is NOT primarily a kids' film; kids may get a few laughs out of it, but the more subversive asides ("Maybe if you keep moving your hands like that people will think you actually know what you're talking about") are really intended more for adults. (**)

Brainless, Unpleasant Characters, but also Very Funny

Author: Claudio Carvalho from Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
11 October 2015

The seven-year-old orphan Junior (Michael Oliver) has been rejected thirty times by his foster parents since he was a baby because he is wicked. He worships the criminal Martin Beck (Michael Richards) and wears a a bow tie just like his idol. Ben (John Ritter) is a good affectionate man that dreams on being a father. However his flashy wife Flo (Amy Yasbeck) is infertile and he convinces her to adopt a child. The couple is lured by Mr. Peabody (Gilbert Gottfried) that manages an orphanage and they adopt the little devil Junior. When Ben's father Big Ben (Jack Warden) meets the boy, he immediately tells that Junior is evil. Soon Ben learns that his father is correct; will he call off the adoption?

"Problem Child" is a brainless film with unpleasant characters. Ben and the psychologist are dorks; Junior and Martin Beck are mean; Big Ben is selfish and Flo is ambitious and unfaithful. The situations are politically incorrect bu also very funny. If the viewer shutdown his or her brain, he or she will find a hilarious movie and laugh a lot. The best scene is the interview of the psychologist with the psychopath criminal. My vote is five.

Title (Brazil): "O Pestinha" ("The Little Devil")

Another Childhood Favorite!!!

Author: Pumpkin_Man from United States
11 January 2009

Ever since I saw this on TV when I was little, I've loved this movie! I love the the plot and direction of this movie and thought everyone was cast perfectly. Junior is a mean-spirited kid that nobody wants. When Ben and Florence Healy consider adopting a kid, Mr. Peabody persuades them to take Junior. Soon after, havoc ensues. My favorite scene is at the birthday party when he throws presents in the pool, puts exploding candles on the cake, and puts pickles in the piñata. Everybody in Ben Healy's life starts hating Junior, but Ben doesn't want to give up, until Junior drives the family car into Ben's dad's store. When a psychopathic killer escapes, he kidnaps Junior and Florence, but at first, Ben doesn't care, until he finds out that the entire time, Junior liked him. Ben saves Junior and tries to stop the bad guy! I highly recommend PROBLEM CHILD!!!

This movie is awesome!

Author: Quint75 from United States
22 February 2002

One of the best comedic films of the 90s. I don't understand why so many people thought it was so terrible. Yes, i know Junior could be a little annoying sometimes, but that is his role and he will be greatly remembered for it. As for the rest of the cast, i thought everyone did a great job, especially Jack Warden. He may have been the funniest character in the movie. anyways, you have to watch the movie repeatedly to understand and comprehend its hilarious outcome.

This film has its problems but personally I don't think it is that bad

Author: TheLittleSongbird from United Kingdom
22 April 2010

I was expecting to really hate this film, but after seeing it, it wasn't that bad. Yes it was mediocre and crude at times, but absolutely awful, no. There are much worse movies out there, and I will probably be here all night listing them and why they are so bad. I'll drop a few hints, Friedberg-Seltzer movies, Home Alone 4, Cat in the Hat, NeverEnding Story 3 and Superbabies:Baby Geniuses 2 ring a bell? Anyway, the script does have its weak spots, the ending could have been better, Michael Oliver as the truly dysfunctional kid is thoroughly obnoxious at times and the plot is a touch simplistic. That said, it has its good moments, the gags are crude but some of them are amusing, John Ritter is charming in the title role and Gilbert Gottfried is hilarious. The soundtrack ain't half bad either, Amy Yasbeck is effective at playing her character like a total snob,Jack Warden is great and the film is nice to look at. Overall, could have been better but it could have been a hell of a lot worse as well. 6/10 Bethany Cox

Problem Child

Author: Chris from C-World
8 July 2013

Problem Child was a funny and hilarious film. This was one of the best funny family films of all time. Michael Oliver did excellent playing as Junior. John Ritter and the whole cast did excellent as well. This movie is fun film for all families to watch, the problem child series is a all- time favorite.

A recommendation for all of those who love comedy family films. This one is must watch. A funny adventure film of the 90's.

Some people thought this film was terrible, but they were wrong. Problem Child is the best and beyond the funniest family film. Michael Oliver did great as Junior and shined through he was crazy LMAO yet funny throughout the series. Awesome flick!

One of the funniest movies!

Author: Movie Nuttball from U.S.A.
4 April 2003

The Problem child movies are very funny!John Ritter,Amy Yasbec,and Jack Warden,and Michael Richards are all good in the film!It is always sad to to see the great late wrestler Kerry Von Erich.The film has some of the more hilarious scenes ever!.If you like comedy film with bratty kids then check this out!

Page 1 of 10:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [Next]