IMDb > "Pingu" (1986) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"Pingu"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratings

"Pingu" More at IMDbPro »

Terrific educational and developmental art for children and adults, plus it's fun

Author: Jeffrey Poehlmann from Hollywood, CA
26 August 2006

The very idea that there are a few comments here which deride the educational and artistic merit of "Pingu" leads me to believe that the writers did not watch the programs very carefully. The first thing that struck me about "Pingu" was that the program was intelligent and subversively educational. That is to say that it teaches without being obvious. In fact, in some ways it feels very un-PC, which is great because it feels much more genuine that most of the muck posing as "educational programming" or "children's programming" these days. What we deal with here are real emotions and situations that children encounter through play and family life. There is no fear of bringing in sadness, distress, jealousy, selfishness or recklessness into the mix whether in terms of Pingu's actions or the affects of his actions on others, and the show does not shy away from showing that even if he is a good-natured penguin he is still capable of being a real pill sometimes. In short, it is not syrupy but it is definitely sweet and more satisfying than the sugar coated nonsense that fills most of the television bandwidth.

Educationally, "Pingu" is loaded to the gills with social lessons that are all the more impressive for not being preachy. Perhaps this is why some people miss them, since we are used to smothering our kids with the obvious, but that heavy-handedness often results in a rebellious rejection to what is being shoved down a child's throat and the more subversive nature of "Pingu" makes it even more brilliant. Beyond that, "Pingu" serves as a remarkable language / communication tool that teaches more about language and expression than any other show I have seen without ever using real "words" in the process. Infants and toddlers can understand the interactions without the speaking, which may in turn make it easier for them to work on their own communication skills. I am constantly impressed by the range of emotion conveyed by the characters, as simple as much of it is.

Artistically, the program is genius. The animation is whimsical and fun and always inventive. And because of the level of intelligence and the lack of condescension it truly rises above mere entertainment. As an adult, I find it refreshing to see a program that does not speak down to me, does not pander to its "intended" audience, and leaves me satisfied after every viewing.

Spectacular program for small children

Author: cynobite from United States
26 July 2006

First and foremost, Pingu is entertaining and adorable. It is one of the few shows that I care to allow my two year old to watch, mainly because she laughs whenever he makes his silly sounds, but also because she learns from Pingu. The alphabet and numbers? No, but Pingu teaches little social lessons if one cares to pay attention. For instance, Pingu becomes jealous of his little brother in one episode. He spends the entire episode trying to get his mother to stop feeding and soothing the baby so that he can have her complete attention. The episode ends with Pingu's mother rocking and playing with both of them. It's a simple and easy way to deal with a small child's jealousy of a new sibling and the attention that they must have. Pingu also throws tantrums, plays, basically behaves just like a toddler or three-year-old. Even the theme song is catchy and easy for a toddler to sing. In this day and age when courtesy is not a prized commodity on children's television, Pingu is a breath of fresh air. The message? It's normal to be angry, to be jealous, to have any of the other complex and confusing emotions, but we must learn to be courteous and respectful with each other so that everyone can be happy.

Pingu is awesome.

Author: Gretchen Crumpacker from Newport Beach, CA
16 May 2008

All my kids like Pingu, from the 7-year-old down to the 2-year-old, and I have to admit to watching it when the kids aren't even home. It's humorous and innocent, the characters are endearing, and the fact that the characters don't speak any language -- the dialogue is in "Penguinese" -- means that they convey their stories wholly with action, vocal inflection and body language. This is extremely intriguing.

Pingu is refreshingly unlike all the mainstream toddlers' programs out there, which are either excruciatingly heartwarming, unbearably didactic or just plain inane. It's a bit hard to find; at this point we're only able to get it from Time Warner On Demand cable. There are some DVDs available too. But if you have young kids, do check it out. The whole family will enjoy it.

Even though I am 17, part of me is still very fond of Pingu

Author: TheLittleSongbird from United Kingdom
17 September 2009

I think Pingu is a very sweet animated programme, and it was one of my favourites when I was little. Although I am 17, I am still very fond of it. The animation is very inventive and colourful, and the theme tune-the original theme tune that is- is one of the catchiest theme tunes ever for a children's' programme. The characters are really cute, Pingu(my favourite cartoon penguin) with his silly sound effects, the adorable Pinga and I liked their seal friend as well. The stories are original and charming and filled with social lessons for children, and although there isn't any dialogue strictly speaking, you can kind of understand what's going on from watching the screen. Some of it is very funny, and you do empathise with the characters, though I do think the new Pingu episodes aren't as charming or funny as the older ones. Overall, wonderful childhood favourite. 10/10 Bethany Cox

Well, I used to like it...

Author: general-melchett from United Kingdom
18 February 2007

I really used to like Pingu as a young kid. To be honest, which 3-year-old idiot doesn't like seeing a little clay penguin getting into rather childish adventures? Well, I did. Pingu is always enjoyable - though there's no real wit or any words spoken, it speaks a lot through action and sound. The animation isn't Happy Feet standard, but Pingu's charm lies in its simplicity, and it isn't badly done either, considering it's 20 years old. If only more Antarctic fun could be produced by TV nowadays rather than s**t like cooking shows and bilge like Tweenies. Other characters included Pinga who was Pingu's sister, Pingu's mum and dad, and that grey seal - I've forgotten his name. They all had their charms too, and helped to make this show even more fun. The shows are only 5 minutes long each, ensuring Pingu never gets boring. I mean, I'm just 14 years old, and already this can give me a sense of nostalgia. Those were the good old days... when the Simpsons was good, when we didn't have cr*p like Strictly Come Dancing on, when the music charts weren't full of rubbish... 9/10

Pingu is the cutest penguin on Earth!

Author: Remeud from Melbourne, Australia
24 December 1998

Pingu is a young penguin from the South Pole. He lives with his mother and father-the local postman and younger sister, Pinga. Pingu just loves to play, but he is rather mischievous. When he's not playing he likes to help his father with the post. Like most little sisters, Pinga never misses a chance to tease Pingu. But they still enjoy playing together sometimes. Robby the Seal is one of Pingu's best friends. Whether they're fishing or just playing hide and seek, they always have great adventures. Pingu teaches children lessons of life. In each episode the benefits of co-operation, and good behaviour are stressed. The negative consequences of greediness, teasing and disobediance are explained to younger viewers through Pingu's actions. I highly recommend that you watch Pingu - he appeals to all age groups - from children, who like the animations (and the trouble that Pingu gets up to) to teenagers and adults, who can appreciate the pathos and humour in the series.

Pingu

Author: Jackson Booth-Millard from United Kingdom
6 May 2005

When I was really young I didn't know anything about the Arctic or penguins, I just liked to watch a very good children's show. This is a show with very short episodes about the gibberish talking penguin, Pingu and his family and friends. They have many weird and wonderful adventures and stories. Some of the best examples are those that make you laugh and have a nice ending. Some of the best short stories include: Pingu and Pinga home alone, Pingu runs away, Pingu and his friend build their own igloo, Pingu goes to the dentist, Pingu wants to play with his ball, Pingu and Pinga make popcorn, and Pingu pisses on the floor! Very good for a laugh and as a kid!

I am 20 and I love Pingu.

Author: blkmgcbhl from India
29 June 2013

When I was 9, Pingu used to air on Cartoon Network. I found it quite meaningless back then and usually waited for it to get over (not a long wait, each episode is just five minutes long) before a show that I enjoyed watching was on air. Not a long while ago, I came across this meme on the internet regarding Pingu. It went along the lines of "Why does Pingu's dad always iron clothes when no one in his family wears clothes?" This meme really cracked me up and I felt like watching an episode of Pingu. This time around, I viewed it in a whole new light. I absolutely enjoy everything about this show now, especially how Pingu turns his beak into a horn and goes NOOT NOOT. Another interesting thing about this show is how the makers have smartly imbibed the qualities of clay in this claymation cartoon. It is a common sight to see Pingu roll about like a ball made out of clay. This show has a timeless feel to it, I can't seem to assign a time period to it. I think this must have to do with it being a clay animation. Most importantly, this show stands out for the fictional language that its characters speak. It's a remarkable approach to creating cartoons, making them equally appealing to every linguistic group.

Fun For All Ages

Author: MoffatLP from Canada
1 September 2011

Who doesn't like watching clay penguins running around talking random gibberish for 5 minutes? Even though the show is only 5 minutes an episode and half of the time you don't understand a thing that is coming out of the mouths of these funny little creatures it gets the message through to you, the message that not everything need to make sense to be brilliant. There is pretty much no plot but has the characters of the show and every episode creates some whacky scenario for Pingu. Scenarios vary from fishing (which is where he meets Robbie the seal), the dreaming about a very disturbing walrus that made me cry as a child. Pingu is lots of fun to watch especially if you aren't looking for something intelligent to watch. The older I still love this show.

Excellent and very unique kids' entertainment!

Author: Electrified_Voltage from Guelph, Ontario, Canada
4 August 2007

It appears that this animated kids' show from Switzerland came along the year I was born, but I first saw it many years later, when I was around eight years old. Eventually, I got hooked, watching it every day after school! In Canada, the station to see it on was TVO. I have so many memories of watching kids' shows on that station for a good chunk of the 1990s, but "Pingu" was probably my favourite of them all, at least for a while, despite the fact that most of the other programmes I saw had much longer episodes!

The show took place at the South Pole, with anthropomorphic penguins living in igloos, and speaking gibberish, possibly using bits of different languages occasionally. The main character was Pingu, a young mischievous penguin who lived in an igloo with his parents, and eventually, his younger sister. Pingu was very cheeky and often poorly behaved, which could often get him into trouble. He experienced various kinds of problems, sometimes at home, and sometimes in other places. At home, he often got in trouble with his parents, and didn't always get along with his sister. Outside, he sometimes met other adults, and also found himself on adventures with peers.

I recently re-watched some episodes of "Pingu" and found that I didn't really enjoy it that much anymore, which didn't surprise me. However, I can't forget how much I loved it when I was a kid! Without a doubt, the show was very entertaining for many younger kids, with its excellent animation, characters, humour, and probably even the gibberish dialogue! Did it have any educational value? Well, definitely not as much as some kids' shows, and kids definitely couldn't learn anything from the words, but there may have been some mild lessons to be learned from Pingu's experiences, often about getting along with others. Despite the gibberish dialogue, viewers could always tell what was happening and understand the emotions of the characters. With all these qualities, I'm sure "Pingu" is still entertaining for many kids today, regardless of what language(s) they speak!