IMDb > Nightmare on the 13th Floor (1990) (TV) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Nightmare on the 13th Floor (TV) More at IMDbPro »

"Scream bloody murder...while you still can."

Author: Backlash007 from Kentucky
8 July 2007

~Spoiler~

Nightmare on the 13th Floor is a film that can be summed up in one word: tame. When I picked this up at the video store I had no idea it was made for television in the early nineties. Judging by the cover art, I thought it was an 80's slasher. Not so my friends. When the cheesy title screen reared its ugly head, I knew this was no obscure gem. Now, it's not a horrible movie. It's more like a murder mystery than straight-up horror. Michele Greene plays a writer who reviews hotels and travel locations. She's currently checking out the Hotel Wessex when an elevator accident leaves her stranded between floors 12 and 14. Where's the 13th floor you ask? It doesn't exist...or is that what we're supposed to believe? Our heroine witnesses a murder on this floor and can't explain it to the hotel staff or the cops. So, naturally, she becomes Nancy Drew-esquire and decides to investigate. Her findings lead her deeper and deeper into the history of the hotel and the 16 bloody murders that happened on the 13th floor. Are the new murders related? I'll spoil it for ya: Yes, they're related. The hotel staff is in on it and the killer is pretty dang obvious. James Brolin and Louise Fletcher co-star.

Would Be Nancy Drew

Author: aesgaard41 from United States
13 July 2001

This movie looks like equal parts of the tv series Nancy Drew TV Mysteries with Pamela Sue Martin and Kolchak The Night Stalker with Darren McGavin. With a dash of Friday The Thirteenth:The Series, it looks like writer Elaine Kalisher was meant to have a tv series in her name. This movie has all the production value of a TV movie and the mystery and horror of a big screen release. Nail-bitingly good, the movie has a very scary plot as it does to hotels what Psycho did to motels. Several guests are vanishing in a hotel and only she knows it. The police don't believe her, and the hotel staff who do want to believe her can't seem to find proof. It's just a matter of finding the right puzzle pieces and learning who is gas-lighting her. This is a wonderful if not under-rated movie !

VERY GOOD

Author: Nancy-40 (buffy432@aol.com) from USA
21 September 1999

This was a very good movie, i watch it every time its on. A girl (michelle Greene) is staying at this hotel and finds that the elevator stops at a floor wich is the 13th. She sees a dead body on the floor and then passes out and when she wakes up she tells the hotel workers what she saw and they don't believe her and tell her it was from being hit on the head but she finds that there is a 13th floor and with a little help from some people she finds that its used for cult rituals. Also the doctor she falls in love with may be in on it. its a very good interesting grabbing movie, kinda makes you think twice about staying at a hotel your unfamiliar with.

Good suspense, but it doesn't hold up.

Author: Andreas Ohn from Denmark
23 February 2016

A TV-movie that I remember scared me as a kid. I found it a couple of years ago, but on VHS on amazon for more than 50$. That seemed a little too much and I would have no way to actually play it, having gotten rid of my VCR. A couple of years later I found it on YouTube and was finally able to re-watch it.

The concept of this 13th floor that is not supposed to be there and this crazy ax wielder is still scary and the suspense works pretty good. But unfortunately as the movie starts to explain its mystery and the characters' motivation it falls apart.

A lot of good childhood memories with movies can be spoiled by rewatching them and this more or less falls into that category. It was however fun to re-watch those scary scenes that had caused me nightmares as a kid.

Fun fact: Louise Fletcher's parents are deaf.

Not too shabby

Author: headphonealone-1 from United States
31 July 2006

I'll start by stating that Louise Fletcher makes this film.

Now before you watch this, keep in mind that this was a made for T.V. movie so there was only so much they could get away with showing. However, they did a fairly decent job building a creepy atmosphere.

In a way it tips its hat to horror classics such as The Shining, Rosemary's Baby, and The Omen. Had this movie been made 20 years earlier and with a larger budget it could have done quite well.

That being said, if you're a fan of films that leave more to the imagination without a lot of glitz and glamour you may dig this little film.

It has a touch a mystery, a bit of horror, and just enough suspense to keep you watching until the credits roll.

Really wicked! (in a good way)

Author: dmdarbonne from Louisiana, USA!!
25 June 2004

I first saw this movie about 2 years ago, it was awesome! For a recently made film, it really had a spook factor. With the low lights and all that red on the 13th floor really added to the drama of it. I am glad it's on video, when I first tried to find it after I saw it on TBS, I was disappointed that it was a made for TV movie, and they usually didn't put those on video until recently..

I remember the reporter going on the 13th floor, and just the drama of her heart racing, just wondering what was around the corner. This is the kind of movie a guy can take a gal to and really spook her. It just has that factor to it. (if the girl is easily spooked of course)

Nightmare on the 13th Floor (1990-TVM)

Author: BradyBunch101 from Toronto, Canada
23 September 2003

*½ out of **** (fair, below-average)

Even with its all-star cast and top-name director, this made-for-TV horror film has little to deliver in the means of good production qualities. After Elaine Kalisher (Michele Greene) checks in to the Wessex Hotel in Los Angeles to write a travel article about it, she witnesses a murder on a seemingly non-existent 13th floor, and she now must prove to the hotel staff that their is a 13th floor. What she discovers is very disturbing (and very clichéd!). The acting is good from Greene, Louise Fletcher and John Karlen. Bad editing, bad script and usually pretty bad acting are pretty major spoilers this film has. I must admit that I did find this chiller very entertaining, which is why I decided to get a copy of it for home viewing!

Rated PG-13 for Mild Violence

In one word: Creepy

Author: D_Emery from Seattle, Wa
28 April 2001

That's the charm of this movie- it's older and it's perhaps not the best of it's genre, but it is /classic/. The sets and settings are just right to get those little chills going. We all know it can't happen that way (and there are enough plot holes to prove it), but we're still afraid of just that sort of thing happening... it's a big, giant, CREEPY 'what if'... Sometimes people are scarier than the supernatural!

Shame about the low budget...

Author: Grace Eteson from Blackpool, England
30 July 2002

Nightmare on the 13th Floor is an entertaining movie - the plot is good and the story moves at just the right pace to keep the viewer absorbed. There are definitely some tense moments in this creepy and suprisingly intelligent film that make it as exciting as a horror movie should be, but with an added mysterious twist - and it's trying to work out the mystery that keeps you watching! Unfortunately, there are a few things about this movie that let it down - namely the pathetically low budget it must have been shot on. The 'special effects' are practically non-existent and the few there are look embarrassingly fake, making a joke out of some of the scariest moments in the film. That said, the set design is pretty good, especially on the 13th Floor, with its tatty gothic furnishings and maze of dimly lit corridors. The characters are interesting and varied, and the script never seriously falters. The acting is satisfactory and what you would expect from a made-for-TV movie, but no one really stands out. Overall, I'd say that if you see Nightmare on the 13th Floor in the TV listings and make an effort to watch it, you won't be disappointed - just don't expect a masterpiece in terms of cinematography!

Phonograph question..

Author: cocorama from United States
13 November 2006

I watched this movie when I was about 8 for the first time...I believe on USA...I taped it, but the sound was really bad. I now really want to see it again, will probably purchase it eventually. I do have one question though. Does anyone know the song that is playing on the phonograph on the 13th floor. It's really a great creepy kinda tune, I know everyone can probably hear the tune while reading this. I tried to research it, but could not find anything. I also tried googleing it, and seeing if anyone else had said anything about it. But, alas, I have come up with nothing. Truly a unique movie, a weird sort of classic... If anyone can help at all, please e-mail me at cody701@gmail.com thanks so much