IMDb > Night of the Living Dead (1990) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Night of the Living Dead

Night of the Living Dead More at IMDbPro »

Page 5 of 21: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [Next]

Good remake by the master of Special effects

Author: (trentpatterson518)
24 February 2013

This is very good remake of the classic movie, especially since it was directed by Tom Savini. The special effects are done very well, the autopsy zombie is especially gruesome. The movie also has a creepy feel to it, much like the original. The story itself did not change much, and characters retain the same names. This version is also the best one to come out with the same name as the original, and there have been plenty of horrible movies that keep the name of the original. The whole movie is solid and the acting isn't half bad. The violence is very tame though, especially coming from Tom Savini, and I believe it focuses more on human nature more than the violence. I would recommend this movie for George Romero's fans and Tom Savini fans. Very well done.

"Good Horror Remake!"

Author: gwnightscream from United States
7 November 2012

Tony Todd and Patricia Tallman star in Tom Savini's 1990 horror remake of George Romero's 1968 classic. This update is slightly different, but basically the same story. It begins with a young woman, Barbara (Tallman) and her brother, Johnny (Bill Moseley) heading to a cemetery to visit their mother's grave. They become attacked by flesh hungry zombies and Barbara barely escapes while Johnny becomes unfortunate. She seeks shelter at an isolated farmhouse nearby and is attacked by more zombies. She soon meets trucker, Ben (Todd) who helps her and together they protect themselves along with a few other people. Savini (Creepshow, From Dusk Til Dawn) wanted to do the make-up effects for Romero's original, but got to helm this version that's also written by Romero. Todd (Candyman) and Tallman (Army of Darkness) are great in it and I like the make-up effects. I recommend this good remake.

Colors more comforting to the eyes. That's all.

Author: (zfiany@hotmail.com) from Lebanon
15 October 2009

I usually don't love remakes even if they add to the original though in this case not much is added. The one time I enjoy a remake is when I haven't seen the original but in this case I did. I watched it anyhow for the sake of getting the sense of reality with the colors and everything. I just love horror movies so much that I don't mind sometimes even watching very-low-budget horrors.

This movie is not bad but is boring as a remake. To enjoy it, you have to deal with it as if you are watching a good movie again just like when you watch old good ones from your library.

The one good scene though in the movie is the one of the naked girl in the car when the zombies eat part of her face before she turns into one herself. Other than that, I can't seem to remember any scary scene in the movie.

BETTER Than The Original!

Author: Matthew Young from United States
2 May 2010

This movie is very unfairly written off in favor of the original but I think that is a result of people thinking it's a bad idea to even try and remake the 1968 version. I not only find this to be one of the finest horror movies of all time but I believe this version is superior in almost every way to the original.

Night of the Living Dead follows the same storyline as the first one. The recently dead are coming back to life and a small group of strangers must hide from the zombies in a country house.

The acting is not Oscar quality, but it is definitely better than the original. The characterization in this version is much better than the first one. Barbara is an interesting character, which she wasn't in the first one, and she even ends up being the most level-headed of all. The back and forth between Cooper and Ben is much better as they both make good points and are both portrayed as being unreasonable at times. In the original Ben basically pushed Cooper around the whole movie.

The action is definitely better in this one and that may just be a result of how far apart the two were. Most notably would be the scene at the gas pump which was nearly incomprehensible in the original. The scenes with zombies trying to get in are much more excited and realistic. And of course the zombies look much better.

I even prefer the ending in this one, even though that was one of the more original elements of the first one. This one may be more crowd pleasing but I find it more interesting and even more ironic.

So if your going to see one of the two Night of the Living Dead movies I suggest you watch this one and if you've seen the first one you should watch this one so you can decide for yourself which version you prefer. You may find this to be superior as well.

This Movie Is Hilarious

Author: gator1110 from United States
24 February 2004

This movie is not one bit scary, but it is one of the funniest movies i've ever seen. The one liners are unbelievable.If you haven't seen it I can't explain it to you, but if you have you know what I'm talking about. There are so many unnecessary lines and actions that make no sense. For example when they are getting doors upstairs to nail the windows down, to prove that the wood on one door was bad Ben punched through a door. Completely unnecessary, but funny if you watch the movie. It's also funny to hear him say " You know what, Cooper, I've only been around you a minute or two, but that's enough time for me to decide that I don't like you very much." It's funny hearing him say Coopa over and over. One of my favorite lines is "Cooper, I've got a shotgun out here. Open this door, you mother****er, or I swear to God I'll blow it to s***." It's also ridiculous to see Ben beat up about 10 or 15 zombies by himself. Maybe I'm the only one who sees the movie like this, but this is the way I felt about the movie.

Not even close to the original

Author: BobK-3 from Lakewood, CA
29 October 1998

This flick does compare to the original. The first version, because it was in B&W, was much more surreal and scary. And the acting was a lot better. This one had no originality and was just a re-hash of the first one. And of course, to be politically correct, this one had to have a female hero, taking on the zombies. Naahhh.

The black and white movie is better

Author: anonymous
16 September 1998

Why do a lot of people like this piece of trash? The old Night of the living dead is way better 'cause it got way much better acting and it makes more sense than this movie. All the movie does repeat the same things what happened in the old movie. Like locking theirselves inside of their own house.

Does that gets boring after awhile??? And the actors stink. Like they don't remember their lines. Why does they want to kill each other? That real dumb. does they worried about the zombles coming after them?

Rated:*

same basic plot, better gore and better barbara.

Author: Marc Rhodes-Taylor from United Kingdom
26 October 2014

just watched this and thoroughly enjoyed it! same basic plot as the 1968 original, so not particularly surprising, but very well done. savini does some great work here, and the move up to colour enhances the gore effects, which are certainly more gruesome than the first. music is not so good, the original had a better score, and goblin's work is also better, nothing wrong with the score but nothing catchy/moody as could be. one of the best aspects is, of course, watching how quickly people's civilised exteriors fall away under pressure. tallman is notable as a very different, much stronger barbara, another one of the good differences, there is also more time spent on the aftermath as we see more of the rednecks and the remaining humans. recommended.

One of em Good ol' Zombie flick

Author: Daario Naharis
24 May 2014

The original version is very old and I din bother to see it. I was in the mood of watching a good old fashioned zombie movie and this certainly catered to my needs.

Watch the movie with an unbiased opinion and you'll even love it. Not one of those high-fi zombie movies like Resident evil but one of the originals.

The Zombies are slow and dumb. Doesn't mean they are on easy mode. This is the way they were supposed to be; the ancestors of today's mutated zombies. This was the way they were meant to be. This movie was meant to be and it sure does a swell job of what it was originally meant to be.

You will love it if you love Zombie movies.

Amen!

Night of the Living Dead is Not to Dread

Author: askewglasses from Canada
17 July 2013

George A. Romero wrote the screenplay again, and Tom Savini, who was in charge of the effects for Dawn of the Dead (1978) and Day of the Dead (1985), takes over the directing chair this time.This movie takes a fresh new look at the original characters. And I think that it takes the already good characters and updates them accordingly. Most noticeable is the change between the Barbra's. In the first one Barbra becomes almost catatonic and was a very interesting psychologically. But this one she becomes much more independent and almost forms the background of the group. Now aside from the characters, this movie doesn't really add anything to the original. So it improves on the characters but the parts similar to the original that were already great aren't changed or made better.