IMDb > Navy Seals (1990) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Navy Seals

Navy Seals More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 8:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [Next]

Screw the critics, pop the top on a brewski, kick back and enjoy.

Author: George Parker from Orange County, CA USA
10 June 2002

"Navy SEALS" is a fun escapist Hollywood testosterone rush packed with action and built around a thin story about a SEALS team which goes after some Stinger missels which have fallen into the hands of mid-East terrorists. The film features some great stunts, lots of pyrotechnics, and firefights galore as it shows SEALS in a variety of combat missions including high altitude and undersea insertion platforms. A critically panned flick but a great watch for military action junkies.

Excellent Movie.

Author: D. Jones from Maryland
6 March 2002

Like the previous person's comments, this was like the "Top Gun" on the ground. He just forgot to also mention that it was also done in the Sea and in the Air. I feel that it was similar also to Chuck Norris' Delta Force; however, it was alot more realistic. Well, the actors in this film did a wonderful job of portraying the actions of the elite Navy SEAL teams. This movie should serve as a testament to the courage and valor displayed by all of the great Special Operations and Special Forces teams of the Armed Forces. The characters were really believable and the script was top-notch. Those who are from the Hampton Roads area of Virginia (like myself) will definitely notice many of the stateside locales. You could definitely watch this movie over and over again! It definitely provides a boost of adrenaline to all couch potatoes and action junkies, not to mention any of those who have either served in the military or were born in military households like myself!

Mindless but Entertaining Action Flick

Author: (andyetris@yahoo.com) from Philadelphia, PA
21 April 2003

This is a rah-rah, gung-ho actioner and as long as that's what you're looking for, you'll have a good time watching this fast-paced story of the white hats versus the black hats.

Sheen, Biehn, Whalley, Kadi, and Paxton do workmanlike jobs with stereotypical roles. The plot is all formula but treated in a slightly unusual way and the action sequences are excellent. U.S. Navy SEALS (The good guys) stumble on a cache of weapons in the hands of mideastern terrorists (the bad guys.) The first attempt to get the goods fails, and in the process of tracking down the cache, everybody's best buddy dies (see if you can guess who THAT would be!) There are more tragic deaths before the finale, which, of course, includes hand-to-hand combat between boss baddie and our hero.

This is very definitely a promo for the U.S. Navy, with terrific shots of U.S. weapons, heroic depictions of our boys in action, and simple, demonized baddies. But if that kind of thing sets you off, it should be pretty obvious that this is not the film for you!

A very watchable action movie

Author: John J. Zich from United States
30 August 2001

OK, I'll try to comment mostly on the music cause enough has been said about this movie. I think it's a very watchable action movie (despite some flaws). Yes, it's not too realistic, but such a movie would most probably be boring (check how it worked out in The Finest Hour). Yes, it's not too deep, but come on, which action movie is (e.g. what's so deep about characters in Die Hard? nobody complains about that and they shouldn't)? Please take into consideration some other action movie involving the SEALS e.g. The Rock - the unwatchable Michael Bay/Nicholas Cage exploding blockbuster escapade which somehow has over 7.0 rating.

The most positive thing about this movie are the great action scenes which look pretty realistic (the gunfights in Beirut, for example). Nice use of the camera (although it looks a bit 'TV' in some places) and very authentic looking scenery (with some nice details, e.g. like that destroyed Israeli M113 in the background).

But the amazing thing is (personally) one of the best music scores in an action movie ever (which unfortunately I can't seem to find anywhere). I mean, Sylvester Levy really did his job right. Every time they head for action, they are followed by excellent instrumental scores which give this film and the scenery much more depth (my favorite one plays when they are running for the shore). Unbelievably good.

So, must have seen it a couple of dozen times and still like to watch it for the above reasons. It's not a deep movie, just good war action and great music. I enjoy(ed) it. Maybe you will, too. Personally, I'd rate it as 6, objectively at 5, IMDb 7 at least (should have more since atrocities like The Rock get 7.3 average).

A fun movie

Author: larabeeslady
8 March 2004

This is one of those action films I can watch with any of my guy friends and everyone's happy. It's a good, old-fashioned action-adventure movie. Michael Biehn delivers the same kind of reliable performance he always does and Charlie Sheen does just fine as well. (I won't comment on the director except to say that I've also seen his previous claim to fame, "The Lady In Red," a simply abysmal film starring Pamela Sue Martin and Robert Conrad.) Thanks to the stubbornness and tenacity of the cast, though, "Navy SEALs" went through a lot of revisions (which you'll see if you ever see any of the script drafts, reader's coverage, or the novelization) and actually came out as a straightforward, enjoyable actioner that's still watchable after more than 10 years.

Good as an Action movie

Author: Jarkko Anttila from Finland
23 March 2004

Lewis Teague has made a bunch of average movies. This movie doesn't offer anything new, but as an action flick, it might be a legend for somebody. It's a great story about " America's secret weapon", Navy Seals. Casting is very impressive, including stars like Michael Biehn, Charlie Sheen and Bill Paxton. character development is minimal which is very understandable, after all it's all about action and little humor. Michael Biehn makes the most realistic performance from the cast, as a tough lieutanent. On the other hand, Charlie Sheen concentrates on joking in his role. Bill Paxton has got sadly only a minor role with hardly no lines at all. Movie is all about action, but good kind of. Worth watching.

***/*****

Michael Biehn is amazing

Author: Kyle Reese from Beverley, England
21 April 2001

The film was better than I expected, I didn't think I'd enjoy it that much. I only bought it because I knew Michael Biehn was in it, but I really enjoyed the film. The highlight being when Biehn has had the morphine, he is a joy to watch in that car chase. Charlie Sheen's character was annoying and Bill Paxton was wasted. A good blast!

This is a great movie that people will enjoy for Decades

Author: xbrad68 from SAINT CATHARINES, ONTARIO
7 March 2006

Navy Seals is really enjoyable to watch. Charlie Sheen looks over the top in a way that Football playing Jocks like. The Character of God with the .50 caliber sniper rifle is interesting.

As American Shadow Vice President I was just told the new code to the American Nuclear War Football, its so long that it now has to be written down. If Russia launches a nuclear first strike against America then I Brad HD Morgan in advance give the order for a defensive nuclear strike by the United States of America against the aggressor Nation. The code for the American Nuclear War Football is: "Motivation is a big word forge R EAM Day U Stoners Orcas I Seal Just. Connfidence JFK is high. There's trouble in Russia Pattern. Strike. Strike. Strike." I apologize in advance to my boss American Shadow President Jack Kennedy for writing F I dense JFK. JFK did well repeating Latin like I did well repeating French. I apologize to Green Day for hinting that they are stoners. The Stoner is the name for an old Navy Seal assault rifle as well. I am law abiding. Its the old story, what if the American Leadership was in a foreign nation and had to issue nuclear strike orders and that foreign nation tried to arrest the American leadership. The American and British nuclear deterrents are the only thing keeping the free world free.

There are other Charlie Sheen Movies worth watching also.

ok, it's not that bad

Author: xeneize007 from Buenos Aires Argentina
1 December 2001

you can't watch a commandos film and expect to see a godfather with SMG's. It's quite different to any other film of this kind; there are no nukes or chemical or bio weapons on this one: they chase simple stinger ground to air missiles, what any terrorist nowadays can have. Also there is no big explosion at the end or a pumped up villain or troopers, they're the average man, and their operations and equipment should be the one the real SEALs use. But i believe that Charlie Sheen's character is out of place, i really hated him from the beginning, and even more after he caused the big black guy's death. What a jerk! A court martial over there! He believes he can do anything he wants and nothing can stop him, also it was a very exaggerated perfomance by Sheen, i rather see him telling jokes than shooting arabs. A good film anyway for someone who needs a doses of testosterone, average than it's brothers.

Not great, but decent

Author: Aglandiir
3 June 2004

First off, I'd like to correct the poster below me who said that God "Had a sniper rifle that fired tiny grenades." God was armed with a Barrett M-82A1 .50 caliber BMG. It is a current special forces rifle and is fully capable of (and often used for) putting a bullet all the way through a truck's engine, a foot of solid metal plate, or, as often shown in the movie, wimpy little concrete or cement block walls.

Anyway...

This movie is certainly not a feast for the brain, but neither is it intellectually devoid. The issue with the journalist in the movie is startlingly relevant in today's world, for example. I doubt it was intentional; it's likely that it was put in as a weak attempt at adding conflict and depth to a flat script. But hey, take what you can get, right?

The real strong point of this movie, for me, is the set design. This was shot back in the old days, when neat backdrops couldn't just be drawn in with computers over a bluescreen. The Beirut scene at the end of "Navy SEALs" has some of the best *real* urban combat sets I've ever seen, right up there with the Hue scene at the end of "Full Metal Jacket"... though not quite as good.

I don't know if the sets alone make this movie worth watching, but they do for me. It's generally mindless action, but that doesn't mean that it's without substance; just because "Navy SEALs" doesn't meet the standards of a "great" movie, with well-developed characters and all that junk, doesn't mean it's awful. "Navy SEALs" doesn't include much script depth because it really doesn't need to. That isn't the point. Do you think that real Navy SEALs would make well-rounded characters in the Hollywood sense? These soldiers *can't* have strife within the team, *can't* have little internal conflicts that, in most movies, would be considered interesting. That just isn't realistic.

Page 1 of 8:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [Next]