IMDb > Mirror Mirror (1990) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Mirror Mirror

Mirror Mirror More at IMDbPro »

Very Atmospheric

Author: CMRKeyboadist from Sleesburg, VA.
16 May 2006

I watched Mirror Mirror many years ago back in I think 1991. I seem to remember it being a pretty good film. After all these years, with the help of EBay, I found another copy and just got done watching it. Very interesting film.

The movie starts out back in the 30's. A young woman appears to have murdered her friend with an ominous looking mirror in the background. Now, skip to present day (1990), Megan and her mother have just moved into the same house in which that murder took place. The same ominous mirror is still in the house and instead of disposing of it, Megan has grown a liking to it. Now, Megan is a teenager and dresses like a goth kid so naturally she is tormented in the new school she is going to. But, she discovers that this mirror is giving her powers and her tolerance for the kids at school is wearing thin.

I know this description of the movie sounds a bit cheesy but you have to watch the movie to really catch the atmosphere. The camera angling is absolutely wonderful, the score is wonderful, the acting is okay (except Karen Black who is always welcome), the special effects are okay considering that this movies strong point was its atmosphere. And the ending is quite original. All in all, I give this a 7/10. Good effort.

Underrated film

Author: whammy666 from United States
12 February 2005

This film is excellent, and it is so underrated. The atmosphere is good. Excellent acting...Rainbow Harvest does a great performance as Megan. Karen Black does a fairly good performance as the wacky mother. The ending to this film is one of the most brilliant endings I have seen in my lifetime. No other ending like it. The film is not really scary, thought I am sure some may find it scary. I like the look of the mirror, also. Special effects are pretty good for the low budget.Film is hard to find to rent, best bet is either to buy the MIRROR, MIRROR COLLECTION (worth the 20 bucks just for the first 2 films, 3 and are crap) or to go to a Ma and Pa Video Store. Recommended for horror fans everywhere! 8/10

Karen Black Steals The Show As Usual

Author: Poochie from San Francisco
29 November 1998

Pretty funny little horror movie...better than one might expect. Karen steals it in a variety of different wigs as the wacky mother of Rainbow Harvest who's the new girl in school, tormented by her classmates because she dresses "punk". Kind of a cross between "Carrie" and "Heathers".

Fair horror film, capably acted

Author: gridoon
9 February 2006

"Mirror, Mirror" is at its best in the first half, with its simple but effective depiction of school life. In the second half, a few of the death scenes leave something to be desired, but others (bathtub drowning) are good. Karen Black and Yvonne De Carlo may be the draws in the cast, but it's their younger co-stars that do almost all the hard work: Rainbow Harvest makes a believable transformation from a "Winona Ryder in Bettlejuice" - wannabe to a wicked villainess, Kristin Dattilo is also convincing as one of the sweetest persons you'll ever meet, and Charlie Spradling plays the spoiled b*tch to perfection (and is downright GORGEOUS to boot). The movie does seem to go on a bit too long, but stick with it because the ending is the cleverest part. (**1/2)

an example of ambient horror

Author: dutchchocolatecake from United States
5 November 2013

If you want to dig this one up for nostalgic reasons, you might be disappointed.

I watched this movie over twenty years ago. I remember it being scary, weird, and highly sophisticated. It goes to show that hindsight isn't always 20/20.

This is where a horror movie relies on atmospheric effect instead of solid or believable storytelling. Ambient horror isn't necessarily bad but it takes more than ambiance to make a classic movie.

Mirror Mirror had potential but it ultimately falls flat with unrelatable characters, slow plot line, and unbelievable death scenes. They are heavy with the red corn syrup fake blood. The body count is way too high, yes there is such a thing as having too much death in a horror movie. It completely removes the isolating factor that's needed when the plot reaches a critical point; along with appealing to the "just world" complex most people carry around in their heads.

The good news is, this movie was completely remade and re-released in 1996 under the name "The Craft." Only in that version, the body count is believably lower, there's enough budget for some passable special effects; and in an ironic reversal, the strange goth girl already has friends and reaches out to the "good girl" outcast. Although - not everything has changed. The goth girl still gets revenge on the guy who rejects her. The "good girl" still goes against her friend and tries to stop her. Surprise surprise.

a charming B-horror movie

Author: ThrownMuse from The land of the Bunyips
15 December 2004

An 80s goth girl (Rainbow Harvest) and her goofy single mom (Karen Black) move to a new suburban town. She gets picked on by her new classmates and generally despises life in typical 80s goth girl fashion. She discovers a mysterious mirror in her room left by the previous owners and finds that it gives her the power to get what she wants...ie, the death of those who mess with her! The tagline for this movie is something about being a cross between "Carrie" and "Heathers". Well, it is nowhere near either of those classics. It is, however, a surprisingly charming little B-movie! The actors' style is late 80s/early 90s in the worst possible way but it is totally endearing. There is some witty dialogue and some really sick and twisted scenes (including a fair amount of gore). Karen Black is totally over the top. It seems like Rainbow Harvest (?!) was only cast because she looks like Winona Rider circa "Beetlejuice"...a more charismatic lead would have helped this movie. It also would have been more satisfying if the lead character had some attitude beyond her clothing and were a bit more hardcore (a la Ginger Snaps) instead of being a wimpering loser. But for a B-movie this was pretty damn entertaining. Recommended to fans of 80s B-horror as well as estro-infused horror flicks. My Rating: 6.5/10

Very good movie

Author: (johnnycage10@yahoo.com) from Scotland
18 August 2004

This was a movie that we rented thinking it's going to be one that's so bad that we can laugh at it. But the last laugh ended up being on us, but not in a bad way, since from the very beginning, this film proves that it's incredibly well-written and sharp. The dialogue is some of the best I ever heard (reminds me of early, high school episodes of Buffy The Vampire Slayer), but it was written ages before that wonderful show. There are some shocking scenes that I just didn't see coming, like *****SPOILERS****** where the Goth chick tells the guy who was hypnotized by the mirror that he doesn't have to worry about his girlfriend killing him, and I'm thinking she's going to say that she killed his girlfriend already, but nope, it was because his execution was coming up! And the other surprise is when the same girl is spilling every secret she knows to her friend in the girl's bathroom, not knowing that one of her rivals is nearby and listening in. But surprise again, she knew that all along, and once her friend leaves, it was time to execute the spy. She just couldn't be inconvenienced enough to ask her friend to go elsewhere, so she decided to kill the one who was listening in on their conversation instead! And don't even get me started on the mirror's ability to actually CREATE an entire artificial girl that pretends to be the person whose place it took, for the sole mission of performing an assassination. Brutal! Just too bad we didn't see a fighting match between the imposter assassin and the real girl that it was pretending to be, once the real person came face to face with it. But I guess such a scene would've cost more money than the budget allowed ******END SPOILER*******. It's scenes like that which made this film downright incredible to watch at times. Acting was decent enough. Too bad the cast wasn't able to use this film to propel themselves to bigger roles, though. And while I'm at it, too freaking bad that the writers for this film didn't continue working in the industry! That's the biggest loss of all. Instead we have 90% of Hollywood films and shows being written by retards. The characters overall are pretty charming, with the main protagonist (who was temporarily replaced by an imposter assassin) being sweet without being cheesy. So to make a long review short, don't think this is another predictable piece of garbage that centers around high school kids taking their top off. Find this film and either rent or buy it. We now own our copy:) You'll be glad you did.

Reflecting the inner-demon.

Author: lost-in-limbo from the Mad Hatter's tea party.
3 July 2009

Where credit is due, 'Mirror, Mirror' is a hot and steamy little Gothic horror oddity that won't blow you away from its originality, but by confident performances (headed by the likable Karen Black and Yvonne De Carlo) and director Marina Sargenti's presentably moody handling which simply builds towards the ghastly shocks. The script is standard, but its focus on an outcast's passage through school-life remains stimulating… no matter how many times we've come across it before. This can be attributed to the sincere acting of Rainbow Harvest (as the shy Goth girl who has a striking resemblance to a 'Beetlejuice' star Wino Ryder), Kristin Dattilo and the buxom Charlie Spradling as the stuck-up bully. Then revenge is served, as those you get in Harvest's way… bites the dust in many unexpected ways.

Megan and her mother arrive at their new home and a mirror (which did belong to the original residents) in Megan's bedroom catches her attention. Starting school isn't easy, and she's made fun of instantly. Her anger is soon picked up by the mysterious mirror, which suddenly gives her the ability to cause some 'accidents'. Soon she begins to pick on these things and virtually it takes control of Megan, which would go on to hurt those who she cares for.

The low-key back-story could have been a little clearer about the supernatural link (but the conclusion holds a witty touch), and the story could have been tighten since it dragged on too long. The low-budget look didn't stop the atmospheric camera-work (like POV from the mirror) and lighting being effective. Sargenti stylishly uses slow motion efficiently, and crafts some lasting scenes (some bloody and cringe-like scenes) and the eerie flight of the shady score works trumps.

Very passable horror feature.

"I have kept the evil locked in the mirror ever since that night."

Author: Backlash007 from Kentucky
29 January 2006

~Spoiler~

While watching Mirror Mirror, I got that nostalgic feeling that I only get when watching a movie I saw when I was little that I've forgotten about. That is one of my favorite feelings in the world. However, it did not magically transform Mirror Mirror into a good flick. I have to say that this was one sorry excuse for a horror film. We've seen the whole "geek" empowerment thing done way too many times. The best example of this is always going to be Carrie. In the film, Karen Black and her daughter, Rainbow Harvest (a dead ringer for Winona Ryder in Beetlejuice), move into an old house that is inhabited by a demonic mirror. The mirror gives the outcast daughter certain powers and the teen takes it too far. The movie takes a long while to get going and nothing creative or even fun ever happens. The demon doesn't even escape from the mirror. You see the demon once at the end; he pops his head out to say hello and that's it. Yvonne DeCarlo of Munsters fame co-stars as the ever-present character who knows exactly what's going on and how to stop it. Karen Black isn't given much to do and William Sanderson is completely wasted in a role that's not even necessary to the plot. In fact, several parts could have been omitted to get Mirror Mirror down to 90 minutes. Sadly, this is another forgettable entry.

Revenge of the 80's: Teenage revenge horror films.

Author: Miyagis_Sweaty_wifebeater (sirjosephu@aol.com) from Sacramento, CA
8 September 2005

Mirror. Mirror (1990) is a flat out lame movie. Why did I watch movies like this when I was younger? Who knows? Maybe I was one for punishing myself by watching one terrible movie after another. I don't know, I guess I needed a hobby during my teen years. A teenage outcast (Rainbow Harvest) seeks solace in an old mirror. Soon she learns about the horrific power this antique mirror has and uses it to strike out against those who have wronged her. Movies like these, the power giver has a nasty side effect. This one changes her inside and out if she likes it or not.

A mess of a movie that for some reason was restored on d.v.d. a few years back. I don't know why. They should have left it on the shelf and collect dust. People love this movie foe some reason. If you do I would like to know why. Until then I dislike this movie and I have no reason to ever watch it again.

Not recommended at all.