IMDb > Metropolitan (1990) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Metropolitan

Metropolitan More at IMDbPro »

Page 6 of 6: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6]

Pleasant, well written, well directed, amateur acting

Author: hamptons from Connecticut
7 August 1999

The hallmark of a professional actor IMHO is to hide behind a mask. It is jarring if the mask slips, and the actor's true personality does not match the intended persona. This is chiefly what makes school and most amateur theatricals so trying.

Metropolitan is witty, intelligently filmed and directed, pleasing to the eye, but the actors seem like high school amateurs - and like many high school plays, the male actors are unable to conceal their epicene nature - I don't have a problem with who they really are, I just want to have it concealed to ease my suspension of disbelief. As much as I liked this film, it seemed so stagey, the actors just did not convince me as they meaninglessly mouthed the director/author's acid epigrams.

I will probably rent this again. And I will enjoy it again. But I will also mutter "So fake" as the puppets go through their paces.

boooooooooooring!

Author: Robert D. Ruplenas
16 June 1999

This leaden effort is about life in the Waspy social circles of N.Y. (I think it was N.Y.; I was too bored to remember). The critics went ape over this dog, but the endless, pointless, droning, fatuous conversations among people we don't give a fig about were to me a kind of torture by dialogue. Maybe that was the point, I dunno, but they should have put a warning label on this one. The movie to me gave a whole new meaning to the word "sleeper".

Page 6 of 6: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6]