IMDb > Mermaids (1990) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 1 of 6:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [Next]

A magic potion!

Author: budmassey (cyberbarrister@gmail.com) from Indianapolis, IN
27 March 2001

A delightful period piece set appropriately in 1963. Appropriate because Charlotte (Wynona Ryder), like the nation, is about to shed a little of her innocence and face some difficult realities. Cher, Ryder and an adorably young Christina Ricci are perfect as a single parent family. Cher, in her best work ever, including Moonstruck, is a free-spirited mom who only cooks finger food because anything else is too much of a commitment. Ryder, who narrates the film from her character's perspective, is a high school student who, despite her fervent wish to lead a devout life, falls in love with the local handyman. Ricci is the youngest, a champion swimmer who steals the whole movie with scenes like her pumpkin scene. (Watch it and you'll know what I'm talking about. It's unforgettable.) Bob Hoskins is hilarious as the shoe salesman who falls head over heels for Cher, family and all.

Set in coastal Massachusetts, the scenery is breathtaking, and the idyllic depiction of life in a small town in the last days of American innocence is dead on. Director Richard Benjamin, who also gave us such charming films as Milk Money and My Stepmother is an Alien, rivals Penny Marshall and Rob Reiner with this gem.

This film is perfection, an absolute 10. It's a magic potion that can make me laugh and feel good even on the worst day. I sometimes wish I could step inside a la Pleasantville and stay there.

**** Endlessly charming

Author: Bil-3 from Toronto, Ontario
17 February 2000

I first saw this film as a preteen and have loved it ever since. Endlessly entertaining performances are the best thing about this underrated and understated coming-of-age comedy that features Cher doing what she does best--convincing you she rules the world, and she really does. As Rachel Flax, a headstrong and independent mother of two (Winona Ryder, Christina Ricci), she thinks nothing of jumping into her car at the slightest sign of trouble and moving to another town ("Life is change", she says). Ryder is excellent as the fifteen year-old Charlotte, a girl who thinks that the best way to fight her burgeoning hormones is to devote her life to the Catholic church as a nun, despite the fact that she's Jewish. Of course, the boy next door (the sadly now retired Michael Schoeffling) gets in the way of her holy ambitions. Bob Hoskins is also a riot as the awshucks shoe salesman who falls over himself for Rachel, first out of fascination, and then out of love. Great music, great period feel and very light, warmhearted direction by Richard Benjamin.

A Delightful Little Film

Author: TheAnimalMother from your daughters bedroom
17 May 2010

I've seen this film a number of times, and I always enjoy it. What stands out most about this film is the acting, and the overall feel of the film. It feels tremendously authentic to its time and subjects. The acting is very good throughout, and the movie is just a very fun, and very human story. One that is easy for almost anyone to relate to in some way.

There are a number of great performances in this film. Winona Ryder plays one of her most interesting characters, and she pulls it off very well. Bob Hoskins is very strong and enjoyable as usual. Personally I have always loved Cher's acting. I can't say I'm a huge fan of her music, but I've always had some respect for her there too. However her acting has always been very strong in my opinion. I know she has been nominated for multiple Oscars and even won one for Moonstruck. However I still think her acting is somewhat underrated by most people. (And she also gave Nick Cage his first huge break after demanding that the studios cast Cage opposite her in Moonstruck. Cage was thought to be somewhat of a risky bet back in those days, and Cher basically made the major studios take the chance with him. Which I find somewhat funny, and also very Cher like.). Cher also had the original director of this film, and the girl who was originally cast in Winona's part fired. So Winona fans also have Cher to thank for her even being in this film. It's hard to criticize Cher for getting rid of these originals either, seeing as how well the film turned out with the people she approved. She is a very strong minded and hearted woman in my view, and if you take a look at Silkwood, Mask, Moonstruck, and this nice little film. You will undoubtedly also see that this woman can flat out act. She has some other decent films as well.

Anyway, all in all, I highly recommend Mermaids to anyone that likes character driven film. And basically to any teen, male or female. It is basically a coming of age story in terms of Winona's character, and even for Cher and Hoskins characters to some degree too. :) And there is a lot to relate to in terms of the parent/child relationship, especially the single parent. Those with Attention Deficit Disorder , or those who get bored easy may not get into it however. :) I gave this film a 7, but I'm a pretty strict rater, and this film is a very solid 7 in my opinion. In fact, I'd give it a 7.5 if I could.

7.5/10

"The 400 Blows", as seen through a girl's eyes

Author: Varlaam from Toronto, Canada
7 August 1999

(Small-town Massachusetts fills in for Paris.)

Every shot, every nuance in this film is just right. That's mostly Richard Benjamin's doing, but the great cast got inspired -- maybe by the glowing fall colours, maybe by the nostalgic fashions of 1963 -- to really outdo themselves.

Richard Benjamin's direction deserves extra credit because he was not filming his own autobiography, the way François Truffaut was in 1959. Similarities in the two storylines encompass more than just the awkwardness of adolescence. (Charlotte watches the Singing Nun on television, while Antoine lights a candle before a holy image of Balzac.)

Cher is as good as she was earlier in "Moonstruck", while Winona exceeds her performance in "Welcome Home, Roxy Carmichael". And they both prove they can be pretty in pink.

Bob Hoskins and Cher have a genuine chemistry. Who ever would have predicted that they would make the ideal romantic couple?

If there's a better, truer, or funnier story of a girl's coming of age, I haven't been lucky enough to see it.

Funny older and still can touch your heart.

Author: seculardesign from Austin, TX United States
7 July 2005

I have to say that this movie is incredibly underrated. The movie is from the daughter's point of view and Ryder does an excellent job playing the purtian to Cher's mother role. I can't believe Christina Richie's first role- even back then she was incredible. She has a way of stealing the movie. This movie has a sad vibe. Here's the point of the movie, once you see it , you can remember the feelings and 10 years later I'm able to remember how wonderful it is. The music to the movie is awesome. I, along with several of my friends have this soundtrack which makes me think this was one of the first true soundtrack purchases from the 90's

Winona's finest hour

Author: Boyo-2
25 May 2000

Winona Ryder is fantastic in this movie - its a helluva part and she plays it for all it is worth. Whether she is worshipping Joe (the local hunk-deluxe), or watching 'The Singing Nun' on television, she is completely believable. Her relationship with her less-than-perfect Mother (Cher) is also believable. As a bonus, you get Christina Ricci and Bob Hoskins and some beautiful cinematography. It also has a real feel for the 60's.

Downsides are one cliche too many (WHY does every movie that takes place in the 60's have to feature JFK's assassination?) and it goes on a tad too long, but its worth watching for sure.

Delightful coming-of-age film

Author: anonymous from Eugene, Oregon
1 October 1998

I think this is a delightful movie. The period details are fun, Cher is GREAT, and the chemistry between Hoskins, Cher, Winona Ryder and Christina Ricci is excellent. Ryder is especially good at capturing that mixure of idealism, angst and embarrassment which is adolescence.

A Fun Way to Spend an Evening

Author: Real_Girl from United States
21 September 2007

Cher and Wynona Ryder are very believable as Mrs. and Charlotte Flax, respectively. Mrs. Flax is a single mom who lives by the motto "Real women never get too old." Her bright, bold, sexy ways make her a special woman but aren't enough to spare her from all the characteristic pains of single motherhood. Moving from town to town with every new relationship, she finds herself at odds her 15 year old daughter, Charlotte.

Charlotte wants to be everything her mother isn't - pious, proper, humble, and pure. Her good intentions, however, are constantly in conflict with her basic nature, which is more like her mothers. Charlotte develops a fierce crush on Joe, the caretaker at a nearby convent. When Mrs. Flax's potentially serious relationship with the endearing Lou, played by Bob Hoskins, hits a rough patch, she too finds herself attracted to Joe. With competition for his affection to add fuel to the fire between Mrs. Flax and Charlotte, the only thing they can seem to agree on is caring for Katie, Charlotte's little sister, charmingly played by a young Christina Ricci. As things come to a head in the small town where the Flaxes are living, Katie's well-being hangs in the balance while both her mom and older sister try to work through their impulses.

Winona's finest performance!

Author: Stay_away_from_the_Metropol from Minnesota, USA
1 July 2009

Good stuff.

Cher plays the realistic slutty single mom who is never really happy and doesn't know how to commit to any man. Bob Hoskins plays the realistic average guy who wants the hot mom but can't quite have her. ChrisTEENY Ricci is one of the most bad ass 5 year olds or however old she is in this. Chugging red wine and holding her head under water for fun. But it's Winona Ryder who really shines through as the troubled 15 year old who is completely focused on 2 things: 1. becoming a nun, and 2. losing her virginity to the cute bus driver who drives her to school.

The awkward "love story" is quite compelling, as is the believable tension that is constantly erupting within the walls of the family's home. This is probably the greatest performance I have ever seen from Winona. She is intense and emotional throughout and it's extremely genuine feeling.

A classic chick flick right here! It's got a lot of personality! Very well done!

wonderul, cute, sweet comedy/drama, winona's best ever!!

Author: senor_small from san francisco california
18 March 2003

this film was wonderful!!, i loved winona's and christina ricci's acting in their roles for this film! this film shows the lengths, and the relationship, of how a mother and daughter work out their relationship together! it was funny, tragic, sexy, and works for winona fans. it takes place in 1963/64. vcher is snobby, yet, hysterical in a mean way for this film! bob hoskins is wonderful in this film! he's very talented when he hides his english accent. this movie is foir drama lovers, who love mother/daughter dramas! it seems long, but, is enjoyable if you watch it a number of times! see this movie!! if you love winona!

Page 1 of 6:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [Next]