IMDb > Meridian (1990) (V) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Meridian (V) More at IMDbPro »

Sexual beast.

Author: HumanoidOfFlesh from Chyby, Poland
11 April 2010

Two lovely American girls go to Italian castle to paint and restore pictures.During their visit they run into a traveling sideshow and invite all the members of said sideshow over to the castle for dinner.An orgy results with the girls being drugged and raped by two men.One of them is transforming into beast due to the curse.The romance between the beast and Sherilyn Fenn ensues...I wanted to see "Meridian" because of "Twin Peaks" starlet Sherilyn Fenn,one of the most beautiful actresses of 80's and early 90's.She and Charlie Spradling have some wonderfully sensual sex scenes in this mildly interesting and rather watered down Walerian Borowczyk's "The Beast" clone.Still "Meridian" is worth watching for stunningly ravishing Sherilyn Fenn.6 out of 10.

Atmospheric, but slow

Author: feet-likefins from United States
20 June 2005

The first half hour or so is entertaining, but it tends to shift around from there. It oscillates between interesting and boring.

Meridian is a beautiful movie, and it contains some of the most beautiful actresses I have ever seen. Meridian maintains a dreamy elegance throughout its length and rarely fails at that.

The settings, music, and sequences successfully convey an ethereal world. Despite a few slightly unsettling carnal scenes, Meridian is a pretty romantic movie that may move you. This may be true, if you believe in soul mates, or finding a true love. I was hopelessly in love when I saw this 10 years ago, so it kind of was on the same wavelength as me.

Beauty & the beast...with Sherilynn & Charlie naked!

Author: Dax-21 from Surrey
30 September 1999

Yep, that's about what you get. A strangely warped Beauty and the beast (with twin beasts) story whose main benefit is it's two gorgeous heroine's Sherilynn Fenn and Charlie Spradling. Never can any film have featured two such beautiful actresses and the director is quick to get them drugged and stripped.

The Spradling character (she was credited as just "Charlie" in this film) allbut disappears from the plot thereafter leaving La Fenn to wrestle with the beast twins and eventually fall in love with the good one of the two.

An Eye Candy Snippet

Author: Robbie-43 from Columbus, Ohio
19 August 1999

The film Meridian is basically a live version of the classic cartoon "Beauty and the Beast" but without the singing teapot, candle, and clock and some other plot changes. The heroine, as played by Eye Candy Hall of Fame inductee Sherilyn Fenn, inherits a creepy castle. One day, she and her friend (fellow inductee Charlie Spradling) venture down to the village and watch a creepy little circus. They proceed to invite the creepy performers back to the castle for dinner. The creeps then drug our two ladies, and while in an altered state, the creepy ringmaster disrobes them to engage in a carnal act. Here at the academy we deplore the concept of date rape or any other act of sexual aggression within a film to justify a nude scene. In this case it is an important plot development, the film is of the horror genre, no physical abuse is incorporated in the scene, and the fact that it proceeds at a snail's pace causes us to forget what triggered the event. Putting our bias aside, upon viewing the de-clothed heroines, we realize that Sherilyn looks Fenn-tastic and Ms. Spradling ain't such a bad thing. In fact hold onto your beer while admiring the natural talents of Ms. Spradling. This scene alone fulfills the requirements of the academy but the film alone does not (no more worthy scenes of nakedness). As for the film itself, the story then proceeds along to answer the following questions: Can the curse of the Man-Beast be lifted?, Why are there strange happenings at the castle?, Will Ms. Fenn's character find true love?, and How come some of the castle walls are made of cardboard?

Beautiful scenery and gorgeous babes

Author: kevin-167 from Houston, Texas
16 September 1999

This film will not challenge anyone intellectually. The castle where a good portion of the movie is filmed does have an eerie feel about it. Charlie Spradling and Sherilyn Fenn play the two women who are drugged at the castle where they live by some weird circus performers. The leader of the group takes Fenn into a back bedroom and strips her down and looks like he is going to have a good time with the nubile, lovely lady but then he passes her over to his twin brother. The leader then goes and strips down Charlie Spradling and and ravages her body while his brother gets it on with the drugged Fenn. Weird!

Truly Gorgeous!

Author: geminiredblue from United States
28 September 2011

If there was one word to best describe this movie, it would be: Gorgeous. If a second word was required, it would be: Beautiful. Even though the movie takes place in present-day Italy, we are soon transported to an elegant, dreamy countryside populated by rolling hills and enchanted castles. At the start, an average-looking painting is donated to a church. But the priest wants the picture underneath to be restored. At the same time, the pretty art restorer named Gina is preparing to welcome back her best friend Catherine. It just so happens that Catherine has inherited a magnificent castle. Soon after Gina arrives, they spot a roving sideshow and decide to watch it. As day turns to night, they invite the freaks and magicians back for dinner. But all is not well as soon afterwards, the women are slipped a drug and then raped by magician Lawrence and his masked brother Oliver (get the reference?) You see, Oliver is really a beast and trapped in a never-ending spiral of striving for love and then Lawrence kills the women he loves. However with Catherine, he might finally be able to break free. Yes, it's essentially a modern and very adult-themed re-telling of BEAUTY AND THE BEAST. But please gentle viewer, don't go thinking this is a Disney flick. Everything about this film is near pitch-perfect. The acting is excellent, as are the make-up and special effects. I must especially applaud the location scout. Whether it's a giant castle or a park filled with monolithic statues, every place fits the look and feel. So fall in love with the fantasy once more!

saved by Sherilyn

Author: panther2pup from United States
29 May 2014

I had never heard of this movie but it was included in a box set of horror I found in a bargain bin. Obviously from a VHS copy, the grainy screen added to the films overall aura. Little Red Riding Hood meets Beauty and the Beast is what came to mind. It is an interesting adult themed version of two girls trip To Italy, one to pursue art the other to take possession of an inherited castle. I thought the pace was rather slow and the scenes of love and rather flat, lacking that abandon I look for in love scenes, leaving the story rather cold. But the lush scenery helped make up for the loss of depth in the theme. Sherilyn Flynn made this bearable for me.

Low budget live action Beauty and the Beast with the most un-PC sex scene ever!

Author: Joxerlives from United Kingdom
8 November 2012

My friends and I went through a period of rather than attempting to rent the best video we could find we deliberately attempted to rent the worst. And if it had beautiful scantily clad women on the cover all the better. Phantoms/Meridian was top of the list not least because we were big Twin Peaks fans and posters of Sherilyn Fenn adorned our bedroom walls.

Really it's a pretty schizophrenic piece. We have a PG rated supernatural romantic love story that takes up the vast majority of the running time. It's OK, nice scenery, some decent acting and dialogue but pretty much unremarkable. The end scene where they disappear into the floodlit skull like cave is quite arresting and I recognised the whip wielding dwarf as Krammer's friend from Senfield.

But then it's like the producers said "We need to spice it up a bit" and filmed THAT scene, the infamous but undeniably strangely sexy sequence where the gorgeous Sherilyn and her equally beautiful co-star Charlene Spraldling are stripped and drug-raped only to succumb to their dark desires and end up willingly and enthusiastically participating in their own ravishment like true Gothic horror heroines. We always wondered what Sherilyn looked like naked and she certainly doesn't disappoint, just as gloriously nubile as we fondly imagined. Spraldling is also fantastically hot (and buxom!)and again, shame she never did much after this.

Pretty astonishing that they could still get away with an amazingly un-PC storyline like that in the 1990s! All the more amazing that the actresses actually agreed to do it no matter how much soft focus, erotic music and slow motion is employed, especially since Sherilyn was enjoying massive mainstream success with Twin Peaks at the time.

And THEN, then when you think it just can't get any weirder the twin having sex with Sherilyn's character transforms into a monster and she still keeps having sex with him!

AND THEN she falls in love with her man/beast rapist! Smacks of GOT/Galaxy of Terror fic, a fetish for beautiful women raped and impregnated by monsters whom they then fall in love with (yes, I am serious, just Google the term or search Monster Sex on Amazon if you don't believe me)

So, if you want to see a film with lovely scenery, a truly unconventional Gothic romance, a weird yet extremely erotic sex scene with 2 very beautiful female stars and a storyline that singlehandedly sets the cause of feminism back about 500 years then this one is for you

It can be made in 1990 all it wants...

Author: Zachary Simon (zsimon@blindsgalore.com) from So. Cal.
16 November 2011

...this is 80s horror cheese to the core. Delicious.

That said, while the STUNNING beauty of the two actresses probably brought you here (and do make the whole thing worth it) the best reason to stay is to see 80s horror cheese try SO. DAMN. HARD. to be a 'work of erotic Gothic film.' There's a special charm to such efforts if you watch for it. There are enough spoilers in the other reviews, so I'll elaborate on how this isn't just another 'so bad it's good' kind of charm. Specifically, while the slow motion shots and synth music must have seemed cliché even at the time, there is never one tongue in cheek or 'we know we're bad so go easy on us' moment. This is a recipe for pretentiousness or misguided sincerity, take your pick. Take it the same way you'd chose to be frightened or swindled out of your aloof cynical money at a carnival spook house.

Cool little romantic horror outing

11 August 2011

Charming young Catherine (a sturdy and sympathetic portrayal by the ravishing Sherilyn Fenn) inherits a large family castle and an ancient medieval family curse which threatens her very life. Charles Band's stylish direction makes inspired use of the spooky castle location and effectively creates and sustains a potently dreamy and brooding Gothic atmosphere. Dennis Paoli's smart script offers a neat contemporary variant on "Beauty and the Beast" as well as a novel take on sibling rivalry and a touching central message on the necessary sacrifices done in the name of love. The able acting from the sound cast helps a whole lot: Fenn carries the film with her striking beauty and charismatic presence, Malcolm Jamieson excels in a meaty dual role as the suave, but evil Lawrence and his more pure and tender twin brother Oliver, busty brunette knockout Charlie Spradling contributes a winning turn as Catherine's perky painter best gal pal Gina, Hilary Mason is excellent as kindly housekeeper Martha, and Band film regular Phil Fondacaro has fun in one of his trademark sinister dwarf parts. A lengthy sequence depicting Catherine and Gina being drugged and ravaged rates as a definite highly erotic highlight. Mac Ahlberg's lush cinematography and Pino Donaggio's moody and majestic full-bore orchestral score both further enhance the overall solid of this dark modern fairytale. A nifty flick.