IMDb > Madhouse (1990) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Madhouse

Madhouse More at IMDbPro »

"If we have a nuclear war, the only remaining living thing will be houseguests"!!

Author: (teenwolf97@aol.com)
30 August 2000

Ah,Madhouse. One of those great movies yours truly can't get enough of. I saw this movie in theaters when I was 11, and it has gotten better with every viewing. The jokes in this movie are hilarious and well-placed. John Laroquette and Kirsty Alley are magnificent in their roles as Mark and Jesse Bannister. They are two,happily married people who have it mad in the shade until Mark's cousin Fred comes to visit on his vacation. Oh, he also brings his wife Bernice and the cat Scruffy. Circumstances beyond their control lead to them staying longer than expected,and this leads to everyone shacking up at the Bannister's like it was a Holiday Inn. Soon,Jesse's sister Claudia and her son Jonathen,and the neighbors all live in the same house,while managing to drive Mark and Jesse out of their ^&%*ing minds. In the end, they manage to stand up against the terror that is their family and friends. *Some of the funniest moments include Jesse's interview segments,the cat and its ability to rise from the ashes,and Mark's scene at the end where his boss attempts to give him a raise.* All,in all a 9 out of 10. Also watch for Monday Night Football's Dennis Miller in a bit part.

This is one cool comedy!

Author: wishkah7 from Brooklyn, NY. (Where I'm from originally.)
19 January 2000

This was one hilarious movie to begin the 90's. I've always been a fan of John Larroquette since he appeared on Night Court. This movie rocks! And I was just a pre-teen kid when I saw this in the theater, and it's still funny to me now that I'm an adult!

It's about John Larroquette and Kirsty Alley playing these yuppies who have some relatives visiting, and then before we know it, practically the whole neighborhood becomes their houseguests! Also the news interviews were amusing, too!

So, if you're in a mood for a screwball comedy from this past decade, you're in for a ride with this one! I highly recommend it!

Excellent feel-good screwball comedy which will leave you smiling!

Author: Grace Zeh (filmgirlgz@gmail.com) from Chantilly, Virginia, USA
28 February 2007

MADHOUSE, in my opinion, is an excellent feel-good screwball comedy which will leave you smiling! If I had to deal with a bunch of uninvited guests the way that Mark (John Larroquette) and Jessie (Kirstie Alley) did, I would go just as crazy as they did. Still, I say it's always a good idea to be a good Samaritan. Last night, before I had to leave to go somewhere, I watched half of this, and this morning, I watched the whole thing, and I must say that I really enjoyed it. I even purchased it last night. Anyway, if you want to know what kind of mayhem ensues, see the movie for yourself. I guarantee you that you will have a smile on your face afterward.

"Madhouse" has non-stop laughs.

Author: Barry Leger from Greenville, New Hampshire
20 December 1998

John Larroquette, Kirstie Alley, and Dennis Miller star in this incredibly hilarious film. Mark and Jessie Bannister (John Larroquette and Kirstie Alley) have the perfect marriage, a nice house and wonderful jobs. When long-lost relatives Fred and Bernice show up uninvited everything starts to fall apart. Soon they have about 8 guests in their house and have nowhere to go. Then they decide to get even. Filled with a tremendous amount of humor, "Madhouse" is a great comedy that is worth watching again and again.

Why oh Why isn't this on DVD yet?

Author: writer8008 from California, United States
24 March 2012

If you're not a John Larroquette fan nor a fan or Kirstie Alley at her heyday, don't bother to read on. But if you loved John in Night Court and Kirstie in Cheers, you're in for a treat.

This is the best of both of them. And as a couple they really work - the chemistry, the timing, everything. Tom Ropelewski really hit it out of the park in writing and directing this. So many great quotes, so many great characters, and subplots that all come back together at the end.

I've always heard, in writing school, that if you want us to care about a character or laugh at a character, keep making things fall apart for him/her. Well, I've seldom seen things fall apart so many times in a row. Just when you thought it couldn't get any worse...it gets worse. Over and over.

Sure, it's as dated as a film could be for its era. The clothes, hair, music, everything. But nobody could play it better. Nobody.

It's a bit PG in a couple of places, where there's a bit of foreplay and one racy part where Kirstie starts to strip, but my 10 and 13 year olds haven't been grossed and they think it's hysterical.

Just showed it to a friend that's 36 (another writer) and he loved it.

So-o-o-o...why isn't this out on DVD yet, when so many people are clamoring for it? I'd sure buy it!

The houseguests from hell. (spoilers)

Author: Pepper Anne from Orlando, Florida
30 July 2005

'Madhouse' is a mild comedy made much funnier by the presence of it's two lead actors--John Laroquette and Kirstie Alley--who both have good chemistry together and create the necessary counterweights to a goofy situation comedy.

This is the story of a Californian couple, Mark and Jessie Bannister, who just bought a house in L.A. On short notice, Mark gets word that his wimpy cousin and his irritating wife (John Deihl and Jessica Lundy) are coming to visit. As annoying as the wife may be, these are the least of their worries since they will be followed by a number of other equally annoying characters who the Bannisters just can't seem to get rid of. It is a mild, simple situation comedy, but as the situation becomes more outrageous as the visitors become more numerous and the Bannisters more desperate to get rid of their houseguests from hell who have taken over their once-comfortable home and are slowly invading their lives (including their work). By this point, it's destined for a lot of laughs, especially as the Bannisters become more neurotic.

Fans of late 80s/early 90s mainstream situation comedies should enjoy this one. It's a good weekend afternoon snoozer comedy. It's on the order of oddball disaster comedies like Mystery Date or After Hours (although with much less humor than After Hours).

It's a madhouse...or so they say!

Author: Scott LeBrun (Hey_Sweden) from Canada
21 November 2015

This engagingly nutty farce stars TV icons John Larroquette and Kirstie Alley as Mark and Jessie Bannister, an average, fairly successful L.A. couple who've just moved into their dream home. Wouldn't you know it: their serenity is almost immediately interrupted by a nonstop barrage of uninvited house guests. Circumstances spiral way out of control, ensuring that these human pests are obliged to stay at Mark and Jessies' place for an extended period of time.

At best, the material by debuting writer / director Tom Ropelewski is no more than mildly amusing. It's certainly not for everybody, considering just how abominable some of these characters are, such as Jessica Lundys' obnoxious Bernice, the wife of Marks' cousin Fred (John Diehl), bratty psycho in training C.K. (Aeryk Egan), the son of the next door neighbour Dale (played by The Exterminator, a.k.a. actor Robert Ginty), or Jessies' spoiled rotten, stuck up, gold digging sister Claudia (Alison La Placa). But the cast is so good that they keep this wacky comedy watchable for 91 minutes.

By the time the movie has ended, we'll see a baby elephant running amok, a pet cat that steadily uses up a number of its nine lives, a police raid, an on air nervous breakdown for reporter Jessie, a harness designed for the pregnant Bernice when she slips and falls, and some remodelling (when Dale and his brood move in, he takes it upon himself to make bleachers (!) for the TV set).

This talented cast makes the most of the situation; Larroquette, Diehl, and La Placa are particularly funny. Also appearing are Bradley Gregg as Claudias' no-good son Jonathan, and Dennis Miller (making his film debut), sporting his ridiculous early 90s hair as Marks' co-worker Wes.

It's all too easy to sympathize with our heroes as they try to take back their house.

Six out of 10.

With friends like these...

Author: Son_of_Mansfield from Mansfield, Pennsylvania.
1 June 2007

A happy couple live alone in their house until a series of unfortunate events bring family members and annoying next door neighbors to live with them. It's the ultimate nightmare as the two end up waiting on these people hand and foot until they finally snap. A good idea that has some very funny moments, but is held back by lazy directing. Tom Ropelewski, who would later write and direct Look Who's Talking 3, Lord forgive him, did the same on Madhouse and he doesn't have the same mad glee in directing it as he had in writing it. There isn't any umph to the directing. None of the scenes have the kind of energy that script gives off. About the best thing is the main title theme that I still remember even though I haven't seen the movie in years. The cast, especially leads John Larroquette and Kirstie Alley as the besieged couple, are all good. John Diehl isn't usually in comedies, he is more of a b action movie man, but he gives good shlub and Allison La Placa is the rich husband seeking sister from hell. There is enough here to like, but given the penchant to remake movies, why not do so with one that wasn't done right the first time around? Kaddir: "Don't you choke my cherub! Don't choke my cherub!"

You'd have to be mad to visit this 'House'

Author: moonspinner55 from las vegas, nv
19 June 2007

Great cast of TV-comedy hams can't save this one, a dud written and directed by Tom Ropelewski--it resembles an unsold television pilot sans laugh-track. Married couple John Larroquette and Kirstie Alley are dismayed to find their home overtaken (and positively trashed) by an eccentric assortment of witless relatives and obnoxious friends. Ropelewski apparently didn't learn a cardinal rule of the movie makers' handbook: wild party sequences are rarely ever funny on the screen (and this picture is ninety percent brawling). Too bad; Larroquette and Alley make a potentially funny couple, and dryly disengaged Alison La Placa has a wicked gleam in her eyes (you keep expecting her to say something hilarious until the anticipation itself becomes funny). * from ****

Dr Jack Penix....with an X....

Author: FlashCallahan from Leicester, United Kingdom
10 July 2013

Mark and his wife Jessie have just moved into their own house and are nearly out of money.

But everything is perfect, until Mark gets mail and discovers that his cousin Fred and wife Bernice are coming to stay for a holiday.

Fred used to be a wild-guy but now he is a jobless man with no self-esteem thanks to his dominating wife. Bernice is pregnant, and when she has an accident she ends up in bed for the rest of the pregnancy.

Also, Jessie's gold-digger sister Claudia and son Jonathan and the next door neighbours are forced to stay in the house.

This causes unwanted pressure on Mark as he tries to land an account with a multi- millionaire and the stress causes Jesse to nearly lose her TV job, just as she is ready to hit the big time......

I've always wanted to see this movie, ever since I were thirteen, and the one sheet was outside my local cinema. Now I've seen it, I still prefer the one sheet.

It's one of those weird eighties crossover movies, that had the token yuppies, the big offices, and when Kirstie Alley was still very hot. It's as if the screenwriters have gotten every trope and cliché and threw it onto the screen.

The biggest cliché is Mark and his big deal, in every comedy like this, the main lead always has a something big happening at work, just as something bigger happens at home. See everything starring Steve Martin in the nineties for proof.

Other than that, its not that bad, just not memorable enough, nor bonkers enough, to warrant another viewing. And the ending just seems a little too 'Last House On The Left' to sit well in this type of movie

At least Dennis Miller has great hair.