IMDb > Lisa (1990) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Lisa More at IMDbPro »

Light my candle

Author: Justin Stokes from Cleburne, TX
1 September 2010

Lisa (the lovely Staci Keanan) is 14 and boy-crazy, but Katherine, her overprotective single mother, refuses to let her date until she turns 16. While Lisa is out getting groceries one night, she literally runs into Richard and instantly develops a crush on the much older man. Along with her best friend, she finds out where he works and uses sneaky tactics to get his phone number. She begins calling him repeatedly, engaging in seductive conversations without revealing her identity. When Lisa's stalking gets more and more risky, her friend convinces her that if she revealed herself to Richard, he'd be furious about the age difference. Lisa then devises a plan to push Richard and Katherine together in an attempt to get her mother's mind on something other than controlling her life. What Lisa doesn't know is that Richard is a serial killer who was leaving the scene of his latest crime when she bumped into him.

Director Gary Sherman's output has always been largely ignored. Even "Dead & Buried", which is one of my absolute favorite horror films, wasn't widely known for the longest time. "Lisa" is no different. Unlike the aforementioned gem, however, it doesn't have a DVD or Blu-ray release to help it gain more viewers. That said, it is certainly worth seeking out.

The film contains some strong performances. Staci Keanan, who was the sole reason to watch popular sitcom, "Step by Step", carries the picture. She is infinitely charming with a quick wit and my kind of quirkiness. She's also great at portraying this naive, vulnerable girl who thinks she's tougher than she is. Lisa and her mother share a good relationship, but we see the wedge that is driven between them as the former grows increasingly bitter due to the rules placed over her. It doesn't help that she witnesses Katherine spurn a friendly guy at the local bowling alley, an act which leads Lisa to believe that she's being punished for her mother's past mistakes. Cheryl Ladd is well-cast as Katherine, and her chemistry with Keanan is palpable. Short of casting Jordan Ladd herself in the titular role, I don't think we could have seen a more believable mother and daughter pairing. D.W. Moffet makes for an interesting maniac. Rich, good-looking and suave, he could easily get women, but he would rather slaughter them. Dubbed the "Candlelight Killer" by the press, he leaves messages on his victims' answering machines warning them of what he's about to do before he does it. Jeffrey Tambor is in the film too, but he's underused in a throwaway role.

We get some solid suspense here, particularly during a scene where Lisa finds herself stuck in Richard's vehicle. It's made worse by the fact that she doesn't know just how bad it would be if he found her. The film's climax is also tense and surprisingly violent. We also get an amusing bit, be it intentional or unintentional, where Richard uses Katherine to head-butt her own daughter. I will say that the film falters a bit towards the end, mainly due to a poor decision made by one of the characters. This in turn makes for a predictable finale. I also thought that the look of the film wasn't as impressive as it could have been, especially taking into account the eerie, fog-drenched photography of "Dead & Buried". The score sort of made up for the generic look, being moody whereas the atmosphere wasn't.

In the end, this is a worthwhile effort thanks in large part to the performances on display. It's a well-acted film, and the suspense benefits as a result.

An excellent movie choice for suspense fans.

Author: triple8 from Conn
24 August 2003

This movie freaked me out when I saw it many years ago. The plot concerns a young single mom raising a rebellios teenage daughter(Lisa) who, tired of what she deems her mom's overprotectivness, begins crankcalling handsome strangers and unwittingly begins a phone flirtation with a serial killer.

This movie would be a great choice for mothers and daughters to view. What makes it so scary is it's realism.This is a situation that could happen to anyone, It stays with you, there are a few really terrifying scenes.I'd recomend this movie to anyone who likes thrillers, "Lisa" will make girls wonder just who it is their striking up a conversation with.

Yes, Cute Guys Can Be Psychos, Too, Girls! Watch Out!

Author: ilovelucy77
2 March 2000

This was a beautifully crafted suspense thriller about an overprotected 14-year-old girl named Lisa (played by Staci Keanan) who, in her innocent attempts to have some involvement with the opposite sex, becomes tied up in conversing by phone with a handsome guy, who unknown to her is the crazed serial killer responsible for several murders of young single women in the area where she and her single mom live.

Staci Keanan and Cheryl Ladd made a wonderful mother-daughter team. There are many suspenseful moments involving Lisa and the killer, yet the whole time she has no clue just how dangerous this handsome young man she stalks really is. It would make any teen think twice before trying to pick up a handsome stranger. I was thirteen when this film was first released in 1990. "Lisa" sure scared the hell out of me when I first saw it.

GREAT PHONE STALKING SLASHER!!!!!

Author: SlasherReviewer from United States
6 September 2004

I watched this movie back on Cinemax and Showtime on cable when I was a kid and just got my hands on a VHS release of it not to long ago. Just as good as I remember it. Lots of obscene phone stalking by a 14 year old. Anyway the movie involves 2 cute supposedly 14 year old hotties and they toy with a serial killer and don't know how far they have pushed this psycho!!A really cool movie with a gory ending. Slasher reviewer gives this one a thumbs up and yells check it out for sure!!!!!Great acting, great storyline, cute chicks, unique kill scenes, what more could you ask for?

This movie takes me back!

Author: capri-3 from Carson, CA
25 August 2003

"Lisa" takes me back when I was about 11 or 12 years old. Sometimes bad movies can be good if you grew up watching them. I watch this movie now and I say: "Ok it was kind of stupid, but I still like it". I don't know, I guess I am hooked on the whole fact of Lisa being this stupid kid doing the exact opposite of what I would have done. I get a kick out of watching movies; especially if it is dealing with other people's problems,it makes me feel better if I am having a bad day. Still the movie has it's suspense, and charm, and its about a 14 year old girl making really stupid mistakes, and of course paying for them! Haven't we all! I still love this movie and I'm still going to buy it!

very good thriller as well as chilling, especially towards the end.

Author: Lynn Johnson from California
31 May 1999

I thought this was a very good thriller as well as chilling, especially towards the end. Cheryl Ladd is one of my favorite actresses and I was riveted to her performance. She has done several riveting performances, but this one was one movie I could see over and over again. Staci Keanan was good as well, I've know her to do comedy as she did with Greg Evigan in "My Two Dad's", but her acting in a thriller/drama gave her more depth as an actress. Very good

great movie.loaded with suspense and authentic performances

Author: disdressed12 from Canada
4 December 2007

i was pleasantly surprised by this movie.i thought it was terrific.it's got loads of suspense and tension.i also liked the atmosphere over the movie overall.it's well acted.i found the interaction between the mother and her teenage daughter to be very authentic.the movie is not boring at all.in fact,it movies along at a very nice clip.there is one great ironic scene,which i thought was brilliant.it may not have been original,but it works in this case,regardless.the general premise isn't wholly original,but i like what they did with the material.to me,this movie is quite above average for the suspense/thriller genre.i caught this movie on cable,so it didn't cost me anything(other than my monthly cable bill,of course).i think it's well worth the two hours or so spent watching.for me,Lisa,AKA The Candle Light Killer is an 8/10

Little girls can never wait to grow up

Author: helpless_dancer from Broken Bow, Oklahoma
16 May 2002

A young girl, looking for adventure with the opposite sex, develops a long distance crush on a handsome stranger. This leads to the man noticing her and her mom which, instead of being a nice meeting of friends, winds up putting both in danger. Good, nerve wracking chiller containing a very evil, totally sinister killer.

never forgot this one

Author: kim t from United States
20 January 2009

i was shocked cuz i placed a bid for a VHS on ebay and 10 other people wanted it also, so i lost. but i found another old VHS copy on ebay. it never got to DVD for some reason.

so, great movie, mainly cuz its like a cautionary tale to warn girls a guy can be hot, rich and successful and still be a psycho. they need to make more movies like this, not a goofy scream type movie but a real edgy serious thriller like this one. richard is exceptionally hot in this film. great acting. whats creepy though is i did all this stuff when i was 14. i talked to strange men from chatlines. i thought i was so smart i never told them where i lived or met up with them. i also lied about my age. i was lucky i never met a psycho. or then again some of them were, but they never found out where i lived. my friend and i thought we were so cool we made our voices sound sexy and would have late night chats with 25 year old guys. i remember one night my mom walked in and heard me, of course i lied and told her it was a joke if she only knew what we were doing, so dangerous. Cuz chatlines are dangerous because predators go on there often looking for victims. And sometimes we'd randomly call people and start talking to guys. teen girls are boy crazy and there are a lot of psycho's out there. This movie is so creepy the way they did it was you knew all along who he was, instead of finding out at the end, it made it more creepy that she was playing with his mind and it turns out he was a serial killer. pretty spooky.

also, the mouth on those girls, holy hell! "if you got laid every once and a while you wouldn't be such a bitch" "if you're mom had a boyfriend and "got it" once and a while she might leave you alone and let you date" lol, i forgot how sassy teenagers can be. i should know cuz a couple of those guys from the chatlines wanted to dirty talk and i may have let them so yeah, now that im much older, thats straight up creepy!! lol

Surprisingly, Good

Author: star83 from Maryland
30 July 2001

I enjoyed this movie, and I don't enjoy most. This movie, although its main character is a teenie bopper, is quite satisfying. There is a killer, victims, suspense, and its surprisingly, interesting. It held my interest, and I wanted to know what would happen next. The acting wasn't that bad, either. This movie is surprisingly, good.