IMDb > Jetsons: The Movie (1990) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Jetsons: The Movie More at IMDbPro »

Lots of fun!

Author: Monika-5 from United States
22 March 2000

My family bought the video one Christmas as a gift for my dad, who has been a Jetsons fan for years. Our whole family enjoyed the Jetsons Movie. Tiffany plays the voice of Judy and sings some really nice songs. I liked their attempt at a politically correct story. Besides, this film is the Jetsons! How can you not like that? ;)

Excellent film adaptation of a classic TV show with appealing performances

Author: Grace Zeh (filmgirlgz@gmail.com) from Chantilly, Virginia, USA
20 July 2006

JETSONS: THE MOVIE, in my opinion, is an excellent film adaptation of a classic TV show with appealing performances. Also, even though everyone gave an appealing performance, it's hard to say who I liked the best. In addition, I thought that Mr. Spacely (voice of Mel Blanc) was a very cantankerous guy. However, I thought that Teddy 2 (voice of Dana Hill) was an absolute a******. Before I wrap this up, I'd like to say that everyone involved in this film did a very good job. In conclusion, I highly recommend this excellent film adaptation of a classic TV show with appealing performances to any fan who hasn't seen it. You're in for a good time, so go to the video store, rent it or buy it, kick back with a friend, and watch it.

The first-ever Jetsons big-screen, musical, eye-candy romp!

Author: ExplorerDS6789 from United States
20 May 2010

Since it's the Jetsons' first big screen film, Hanna-Barbera had to work hard to bring something fresh and original to their space-age series, right? Nope. So the day begins with George heading off to his job, and getting caught in traffic. Same old, same old. Unfortunately his new traffic-beater: Inflat-a-Cop didn't help much, a REAL cop showed up and made him give it a fatal deflate. So after arriving at Spacely Sprockets and Spindles, George sits at his desk and takes a nap, while Mr. Spacely meets with some legitimate stock brokers, looking for them to invest in his orbiting ore asteroid. But when he receives word, right in front of the brokers, that the man sent to operate it has run away, they quickly withdraw. Yes, Throttlebottom was the 4th vice president to run off the job at the asteroid, so Spacely needed a new man. Guess who he picks? Right, when he had no other viable choice, he goes with his man Friday, and every other day of the week, George Jetson. Unfortunately briefing him on his new job sends him into overtime so he misses Elroy's basketball game, and he scores the winning shot! George comes home to tell the family that they have to drop all immediate plans because they're moving out to the asteroid. This means Elroy will have to quit the team and Judy will have to give up her random date with Cosmic Cosmo. Her life is over, says Jane. But the important thing is... George is a vice president. Yep, it's all about what George wants. This seems reason enough for the family to agree with his reasoning. Judy was too heartbroken to agree, but apparently nobody seemed to care. They all fly off into space, eventually getting to where the ore asteroid is located as well as their new home: Intergalactic Garden Estates. Well they arrive at their new apartment and find it empty, highly unusual, but thanks to Rosie's remote control, the place instantly fills with their stuff. They meet their happening new neighbors, the big blue fur covered Furbelows...and sadly, we won't be seeing them again for the rest of the movie; VP George Jetson heads off to the plant the next morning, finally getting to be his own boss. Let's just hope he doesn't fire himself. The plant's supervisor, robot Rudy 2, gives George the breakdown on operations, in a catchy song.

Elroy joins a new basketball team and instantly meets his match in Teddy 2 who is a well known cheater. I think they're going to be best enemies; Lucy 2 , Jane and Judy check out the ginormous shopping mall, but Judy goes off by herself to pout...until she literally runs into a handsome young alien-man, Apollo Blue, and it isn't long before they make beautiful music together. Seriously, they collaborate on a really awesome rock song and a music video you'd never expect in a Hanna-Barbera cartoon; Opening day of the plant begins. George presses the button and all hell breaks loose. The machinery blows gaskets, shooting sprockets everywhere. Teddy 2 is trapped in the barrage and Elroy saves him, so now I guess they're friends; Rudy 2 concludes this as sabotage. Who could have done it? Well sir, Mr. Spacely is none too pleased about this and heads out to the asteroid on a really cheap flight; George decides to work late one night to catch the saboteurs, when he gets captured. Elroy and Teddy 2 decide to do some detective work of their own, so they sneak into the plant and soon discover the root of the mêlée: little cute, furry creatures called Grungies. Meanwhile, Jane notices her son is gone and has no problem interrupting Judy's date to ask if Elroy were with them...Stupid question. She makes Judy go look for him. What a nice mom. Astro spills where they are, so now they're off to the plant, where it is soon discovered why the Grungies made it their duty to sabotage the place: it's right above their homes. The big drilling bore destroys a part of it every day. That's terribly tragic! George is discovered bound and gagged, so before untying him, Jane decides it's finally time for him to fess up on how much he REALLY thinks about his family. "You're all I think about." Not lately, George. He hears about the Grungies' plight and decides something must be done. Meanwhile, Spacely arrives and demands the machines be started. Rudy 2 tries to stop him because of the Jetsons were down there, so Spacely commits robotslaughter and presses the button. We get a frantic situation as well as an unnecessary tense moment as we think Elroy may have been crushed by falling rocks. So they all go topside and George finally finds the guts to stand up to his evil little boss, and then each family member as well as Apollo preach to him about what he's doing to the environment...of the Grungies. So in the end, it all works out. Spacely reluctantly makes them partners, they recycle old sprockets, so no more digging, all is well, but now George isn't needed there so the family has to move back. Great, uprooted a second time. So they all bid farewell to their new friends and head back to Earth.

My first question is the title. Why didn't they call it The Jetsons Movie? I guess Jetsons: The Movie sounded cooler. The animation is superb, the soundtrack is awesome, but the story is very weak. It's just recycled plot lines from the TV series, and the voice acting is horrible, mainly due to Tiffany taking over Judy. She was awful, and now Judy says things like "outergalactical". This was probably the final word on The Jetsons and they STILL didn't give Judy much development. Jetsons: The Movie could have been better. It's not GOOD, but it's not terrible. It's better than practically anything animated coming out today.

I Loved It!!! :o)

Author: Katriel from USA
30 July 1999

Let me tell you, when I was a little girl, I HATED "The Jetsons" (even though they were re-runs put on tv like most old tv shows are now these days). I thought that the show was boring and too lame, and for that, I had no interest in seeing this movie. However, when I was at a slumber party one of my childhood friends was throwing for her birthday, they rented "Jetsons: The Movie", and from what I heard from one of the girls was that the movie was good. So, I thought, "Well, we'll see!"

Actually, it was better than I thought! Former teenage sensation, Tiffany, updated Judy Jetson to the 1990's, and I loved most of the songs that were in this movie! I found this movie really interesting and I loved it! I still do! It's a great idea to bring this movie into the 1990's since the show is from the 1960's (or somewhat around that time?) and obviously, the actual show is quite corny if you ask me.

I really liked "Jetsons: The Movie". I was very pleased with it!!!! :o)

I've seen the future and it is good!

Author: OWUbear from Delaware, Ohio USA
29 September 2001

I loved the Jetson family as I grew up. I wanted to see the movie, but I wish that Janet Waldo could have stayed as Judy. I wasn't used to Tiffany. Mr. Spacely's up to his usual conniving best, and Jane is cute as ever. The plot was interesting. See this movie! I also recommend "The Jetsons meet the Flintstones."

The Jetsons Make Their Motion Picture Debut!!

Author: (robocoptng986127@aol.com) from U.S.A
12 July 2002

[CONTAINS SPOILERS]

The Jetsons have entertained generations of viewers ever since debuting on the air in 1962. 27 years later, they decided it was time for a Jetsons movie. After all, the mid '80s was when the Jetsons were popular again and since the door was open, Hanna-Barbera decided to go through it. (Little metaphor there). It starts as a typical morning: George is forced out of bed, eats an incredibly quick breakfast, then leaves for work,

but promising his boy, Elroy, that he will be at his basketball game that afternoon. He's soon stuck in traffic, he tries to beat it ala Inflate-A-Cop. It works, until a real cop shows up. At work, Mr. Spacely discovers his sprocket factory on the ore asteroid has decreased in productivity because of leadership problems: the first four vice presidents sent up to operate it ran off. Spacely must find someone new to run it or be out millions of space bucks. He must find someone awful loyal, awful brave and awful stupid. The files match George Jetson. Upon his return to home, he tells his family they must move out to the asteroid. The family is quite surprised. Judy had a date with a rock star, Jane was in to recycling, and Elroy was disappointed that his father missed his game. Everyone soon is happy about the move, sans Judy. They pack Rosie the robot and their stuff and head into deep space to their new home. They meet interesting new neighbors and George is off to the plant the next day. Elroy meets Teddy 2, a basketball pro who is better than Elroy. Judy meets a new beau at the 2,000 level shopping mall and opening day at the plant goes horrible wrong for George. George is determined to find out exactly who or what is sabotaging the plant, so he goes to investigate and disappears. Elroy and Teddy 2 go after him. They were soon joined by Judy (who wasn't too happy about breaking up her date to search for Elroy) and her new boyfriend, Apollo Blue. The kids soon discover an underground world that was being destroyed by the factory. It's a society of Grungies, little furry fun loving creatures. Mr. Spacely arrives and nearly kills everyone when he starts the machine. So in conclusion, Spacely sees the error of his ways and works out a way to stop destroying the Grunies' homes and it's time for the Jetsons to move back home. Pretty interesting movie. Love the computer animated buildings. The original cast from the '60s TV show was used, minus poor Daws Butler, voice of Elroy who died the previous year. Speaking of death, George O'Hanlon (George Jetson) and Mel Blanc (Mr. Spacely) both died in 1989 and never got a chance to record all their dialogue so a replacement was used. See if you can find them. Gone also are Don Messico (Astro) who died in 1997, Hoyt Curtain who wrote the theme song died in 1999 along with Jean Vander Pyl (Rosie), and finally, William Hanna died in 2001. Penny Singleton (Jane) is still around today. She's 94 but she's doing fine. She's gone on to do absolutely nothing. Janet Waldo is still alive too but has recently done nothing. They should've used her in the movie, rather than Tiffany. We're more familiar with Waldo than Tiffany. I guess since so many Tiffany songs were used in the movie, the producers felt they should just put her behind the teenage Jetson daughter. Here's something interesting: in the movie, Judy's pony tail moves along with her head. On the cartoon series, it never moved, always stayed straight up. But anyway, do see this movie when you get the chance. Fans of the 1960's TV series will enjoy it.

*****,a perfect 5 stars,the movie based on the infamous space age family does something most TV-show based films fail to do.

Author: PJS-5 from N.H
1 July 1999

One of the biggest reasons why I gave this film a ***** star rating is because it does something no other TV-show based movie has done a perfect flawless unerring(perfect) translation of the classic TV animated series(I certainly have no problem with artistic license WHATSOEVER! but still its kinda nice on how they do a fully accurate translation for once) & besides the movie has a good story which wouldn't disappoint hard-core jetson fans(although I'll tell you know I'm not a jetson fan I liked the show & the movie did perfect justice to a good series) & it has beautiful CGI & great music(especially the jetsons rap) so all in all this is perfection for any Jetsons fan & even if you're not a jetsons fan (like myself) this film whould give ya fun time anyways,BYE!

What May Be Considered An Extended Jetsons Episode With A Social Awareness.

Author: Dawalk-1 from Hialeah, Florida
2 August 2012

I remember renting a copy of this and seeing it years back. It had also been years since I'd last seen it, but I recall finding it enjoyable. I'd thought about this movie for a while and I was in the mood to see it again. I finally did a few late nights/early mornings ago, after spending some time tracking down a copy of streaming video available for it that wasn't pay per view/on demand or recorded with a camcorder or I-Pod/I-Touch (as I found for a couple of copies on Youtube, each with a different, aforementioned problem with it as I just described). Also had to track it down to watch for free online, due to it airing on a cable channel at times that are inconvenient for me, therefore being unable to catch it.

Now, more about the feature. The first thing that comes to mind and what I must mention is the crisper 2D animation as well as the CGI for some of the background scenes. I love how the art style of the former is such an upgrade from that of the 1960s episodes (the animation in the '80s episodes may have also been an improvement a little at least, if not as much as in this), so that's a nice plus. I know that the one notable beef that most would have with the movie is the fact that Judy Jetson's original voice actress, Janet Waldo, was replaced with the former teen pop singer Tiffany. When I first saw this, I noticed that Judy's voice sounded different here than from the t.v. series and I wondered why, what's up with that. Whoever was/were in charge of changing part of the cast didn't even get someone to do a more dead-on imitation of the original if they must replace the original. But recently I found out one reason was an attempt to cash in and ride on Tiffany's success, which I now know the short story behind that. I'm not 100% sure about this, but I think I'd have to hear audio of Janet and Tiffany's takes on Judy's voice played back-to-back, since now I think they're nearly the same. A reviewer on here claimed that this movie just consists of and contains various, previous plots from the series. I'd have to see several of them again to try noticing that for myself, as I only remember a limited number of episode plots, some more than others. What else I love about this movie is the side plots, like the Jetsons meeting their new neighbors, the 2s and the Furbelows, and the eventual alliance between Elroy Jetson and Teddy 2. I love the new characters introduced here and it'd be great if more could've been done with them somehow. Some of those who gripe about the preachy message thrown into the movie act like the whole movie revolves around the environment, particularly that of the Grungees' abode within the asteroid. Maybe I could see the problem if that were true, but it isn't really, as that comes about much later. Another first and only (other than the film itself) is that, yes, George Jetson does stand up to his boss, Mr. Spacely, for a change at last, when he finds the destruction the machines making the sprockets in the factory over the asteroid are doing to the Grungees' homes and that helping to protect them is what's more important in the end. I also learned that the subject of enviromentalism was taken on for this because it was one of the things that were heavily focused on and popular at the time (a couple of other animated media concerning this, Captain Plant and the Planeteers and Widget the World Watcher, come to mind). For first time watchers of this, I say y'all should check it out if nobody reading this has, because another thing it has going for it is the jokes. Like Fergie Furbelow being mistaken for a boy ironically. I'm among all those who find it captivating anyway, despite the few flaws it may have. And I agree with the reviewer who stated that it's still many light years ahead of the majority of cartoons hitting the airwaves these days, even if this could've used something more.

"Thanks George!"

Author: RJ Heck (rjheck)
24 February 2008

This movie was very well done. Tiffany did an awesome job with her songs, as well as her overall performance as Judy. Astro of course, was classic. "Ri Ruv Ru Reorge!" My favorite song was the finale, "Home" by Tiffany. It brings a tear to my eye every time I hear it. The other songs were awesome as well. The overall story was very strong, and very unpredictable. The plant sabotage premise was strong and made for awesome storytelling. Mr. Spacely was up to his usual shenanigans, trying to take advantage of naive George. His classic scream got better and better as the movie went on. It's always sad when a performer dies before the production is finished and they never get to see the end result. At the end, when the Grungees spell out "Thanks George" on the roof of the plant, what an awesome tribute to George O' Hanlon. He put his whole life into that character and it showed. Thanks, George, you will be missed!

"Maybe Love"

Author: Hockey Puck from Richardson, Texas
27 June 2001

I like this movie because of the soundtrack and the adventure. "Maybe Love" is one of my three favorite songs in the movie (my other two favorite songs are "Stayin' Together" and "You and Me") all the songs in this movie seem to have an uplifting beat and I like to sing along to them. I also like to watch all of the adventures that the Jetsons encounter when they move to their new home. George gets a job to produce one million spacely sprockets and after many struggles with the grungies George manages to succeed at his job. Unfortunately for spacely in the end he ends up looking like a bad guy because he did not care if he was destroying the grungies universe, all he cared about was getting his one million sprockets. After Judy's heart was broken over Cosmic Cosmo going out with one of her friends (when he was supposed to date her) Judy found a new boyfriend (Apollo Blue, who was also a musician like Cosmic Cosmo) at her new home. Elroy makes a new friend also (Teddy 2)! When Teddy 2 scored on Elroy, Elroy became very angry with Teddy 2 (and vise versa) but by working together Elroy and Teddy 2 were able to become very good friends (especially when Elroy saved Teddy 2 form flying sprockets). The ending was extremely sad in my opinion, when the Jetsons had to return to their original home. I would definitely rate this movie a perfect 10 along with another perfect 10 for it's soundtrack!