IMDb > I Love You to Death (1990) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 1 of 5:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [Next]

Comedy of Errors

Author: Matthew Ignoffo (mermatt@webtv.net) from Eatontown, NJ, USA
4 February 2001

Remarkably, the film is based on a real event. But it takes off from that base and becomes a screwball comedy in the classic style.

Wonderfully droll performances are given by everyone in this Hitchcock-like farce about a murder that doesn't quite work and a man who just won't die. Joan Plowright steals every scene she is in -- which isn't easy in a film that is full of so many zany plot twists and hilarious lines of dialogue.

This film is a little gem of a comedy. See it if you can.

Strange-But-True Characters In Dark Comedy

Author: ccthemovieman-1 from United States
24 March 2006

A surprise hit....at least with me. I found this dark comedy hilarious in spots and so-so in others, but overall a funny movie. With comedy that's what happens anyway: some jokes connect; others don't. Most are pretty good in here but beware: some of the jokes are in poor taste, but that's a dark comedy for you. Also, some Catholics might be offended because the film takes some shots at them, or at least people who go overboard in rationalizing their sins, as Kevin Kline does in here.

There is an odd assortment of actors in here and they all contribute to the fun: Kline, Tracey Ullman, William Hurt, River Phoenix, Keannu Reeves, Joan Plowright and James Gammon.

Supposedly, this film was based on a real-life happening, which makes it all the more interesting and lending credence to the saying that "truth is stranger than fiction."

Plowright almost steals the show from Kline and Ullman, the husband-and-wife team who have problems because of Kline's persistent cheating on her. Plowright in Ullman's mother and has some of the best lines in the film as mother and daughter plot how to kill the immoral Kline.

Phoenis plays a young New Age devotee and Hurt and Reeves are funny as two totally stoned-out hit men. Hurt is particularly good.

This movie is so-so to start until Ullman finds her husband cheating. Then, after a heart-wrenching minute or so, she and her mother plot to kill the unfaithful spouse. The comedy then goes full out as they hire these really goofy hit men and things don't go smoothly. The ending is quite different and quite touching with a very good message....which is all I will say in case you haven't seen this.

Stays funny, even in milk

Author: waia2000 from Florida
30 December 2000

Clever writing, able direction and a stellar cast make this film a modern classic that stands up to multiple viewings. Tracey Ullman and Joan Plowright star as Rosalie Boca and her mother Nadja, both so furious at the infidelity of Rosalie's husband Joey (Kevin Kline) that they decide to kill him. The ensuing misadventures are VERY funny, particularly the attempts by hired hit-men Harlan and Marlon James, not-too-bright cousins played by William Hurt and Keanu Reeves.

Many funny scenes

Author: Boyo-2
29 October 1999

All of the actors in this movie do hysterical work and make this movie very enjoyable to watch. Even Kline does a great Italian! Plowright and Tracey Ullman really resemble one another and their scenes are great. Add Harlan & Marlon (Hurt & Keanu) and River Phoenix, and a great cameo by Miriam Margoyles are Kleins' mother, and you've got yourself a highly watchable movie.

One of the best comedies ever.

Author: beanheadsforever from Okie from Muskogee
16 January 2005

Yes, although Heather Graham is indeed in very little of this movie, it still makes my list (and I hate almost everything) for one of the very best comedy movies ever made. I was introduced to this movie by my best friend and barber, and every time it comes on Showtime I am compelled to watch - it never gets old. Chock full of shock humor and one-liners, it has never failed to bring down the house, no matter who I show it to.

I Love You to Death includes many of the best elements of the blackest comedies you will ever see, but without leaving you with a bitter aftertaste. That being said, be warned that if you are truly a fan of black comedy, you may find the ending a bit disappointing. One of Kevin Kline's best, and a showcase for the talents of the one and only Tracy Ullman. Also starring River Phoenix, Joan Plowman, and Keanu Reeves in a typical role for this stage of his career. A longtime favorite of mine and everyone I know (or if it's not, it will be).

The truth is stranger than fiction!!!!!

Author: William Cox (deepthinker) from Arlington, TX.
23 January 2001

I love it when you sit down to watch a little cable/satellite television and there's nothing on, but then you stumble on a movie as good as this one. This is one of those movies that slipped through the cracks. The fact that it's based on a true story is one of the things that makes this movie so funny. I think Keanu Reeves and William Hurt offer some of the greatest performances I have ever seen. The cast is top notch. Rent this one when you have a free hour and a half. It'll be well worth the $3 or $4.

Almost too funny to be true.

Author: tmccain1 (tmccain1@tampabay.rr.com) from St. Petersburg, Florida
23 April 2001

In spite of Kevin Kline's fractured Italian accent, this is one of the funniest movies ever. It is a true story. I've seen the couple interviewed on two television programs.....they are exactly as Kevin Kline and Tracy Ullman depicted them. I have shown this tape to guests and most recently to a large group of seniors. My popularity rate has moved up a notch or two because of choosing this movie. It's a "feel good and leave you laughing" story. Well worth a trip and a search at the video store.

Funniest movie ever!

Author: geef87 from Seattle, WA
20 May 2002

It's such a subtle movie that at first you're not sure if you should laugh... this movie is based on real people who did the talkshow circuit in the early 80s-- her from prison, him in person. Kevin Kline is brilliant as Joey Boca and Tracey Ullman is hilarious as his oblivious and then vengeful bride. So, if you feel like laughing, you should. Don't let this one pass!

6 out of 10

Author: ray.cooper from Cologne, Germany
26 June 2000

Kevin Kline is excellent in this modest, very well-cast, though not entirely successful black comedy about a betrayed woman (Tracey Ullman) and her mother Joan Plowright trying to kill husband Kline with the help of friend River Phoenix and nutty blokes Keanu Reeves and William Hurt. Funny and quite charming, this looks better than it is. If you want to see a film about perfectly killing your not-so-beloved husband or wife, then dig to DIVORCE - ITALIAN STYLE with Marcello Mastroianni.

This movie was anything but a crime

Author: Lee Eisenberg (lee.eisenberg.pdx@gmail.com) from Portland, Oregon, USA
21 May 2005

Kevin Kline is my favorite actor, and "I Love You to Death" strengthens that. He plays Joey Boca, a philandering pizza maker. When his wife Rosalie (Tracey Ullman) finds out about it, she sets out trying to kill him. Unfortunately, Joey somehow has the best luck in the world. So, Rosalie and her mother (Joan Plowright) decide to hire two outside men (William Hurt and Keanu Reeves) to do the dirty work. It turns out that these two men are a pair of uber-incompetent stoners. The whole fiasco ends in a really crazy situation.

Kevin Kline's Italian accent isn't totally believable, but his manic performance makes up for that. William Hurt and Keanu Reeves do a great job as the stoners. Excellent.

Page 1 of 5:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [Next]