IMDb > Graffiti Bridge (1990) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Graffiti Bridge

Graffiti Bridge More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 4:[1] [2] [3] [4] [Next]

Yes, it's a mess, but I do like watching it on occasion.

Author: Craig Carrington from San Francisco, CA
24 February 2003

Okay, okay, it's a mess, but it makes me feel good and I like watching it, okay? ;)

It's not bias, you understand: I am willing to admit that it's just as muddled as anyone else. And it took at least three viewings for me to understand what it was attempting to say. But I finally got the basic idea, and somehow it comforts me.

I'll try to explain since so many have grown confused by it in hopes of helping understanding.

The basic plot: Prince and Morris Day are co-owners of a club called Glam Slam. Prince represents good with flaws, Morris Day represents evil with potential good. It's a battle of good vs. evil for Glam Slam. Prince at first attempts to win with a wildly sexual song (after quite a few wildly sexual songs), but fails to do any good. But finally, he realizes that love and God's grace is the real way and wins with a heartfelt spiritual ballad called "Still Would Stand All Time". And he embraces Morris Day, who realizes the error of his ways, and everyone lives happily ever after.

Seriously, that's the basic idea. It's botched in its attempt, but that's what Prince was attempting to do: make a musical pop parable. And somehow, even with all its muddled attempts, the movie makes me smile and feel good about myself, the world and life in general. So to that end, I'm pleased to own it.

It's a mess and easily the weakest of the movies Prince made, and I don't watch it as much as his other ones by a long shot, but its good intentions and cheerful tone somehow entertain me. So hey, I like it, and I can think of a lot of other crummy films out there which I would diss any day to watch this instead.

Oh dear.

Author: Dom Martin from Brighton, England
15 September 2004

This is a hideously, embarrassingly bad film. Prince spends much of it sliming about attempting to look enticing, wearing a truly disgusting beard and what looks like some kind of toddler's romper suit which gives him the appearance of just having arrived from a special needs pageant. Finding a spider in your bed would be sexier.

As for the story, what story? This was an extended pop video for some shockingly bad music made by someone whose talent seems to have melted away faster than the polar ice caps. The sets looked fake; the spiritual aspect of the babble spouted by the characters was utterly ridiculous and the in-jokes and the feel of vanity on show was suffocating.

I watched until the end, yes, but I enjoy car crashes.

What exactly is going on in this movie?

Author: Rich Meyer (muzik@ptd.net) from Saint Clair, Pennsylvania
30 June 2001

That's the question I was asking myself as I watched it. Now, I know that it is a pseudo-sequel to the much-better and more coherent Purple Rain and it showed, especially with all the motorcycle trips out to the "graffiti bridge" (very similar in appearance to some of the lake sequences in the previous movie). And Morris Day and the Time are around again. That's really where any comparision ends.

Prince's character is hyped-up on spirituality (which of course, isn't popular with the club crowds in the film). But ever other spiritually-themed song is followed by one that is much more sexually-charged and with little if no connection to the theme the character is trying to get past. The phrase "in the Temple" is used way too often in way too many of the songs, and is often the only religious link in any of the tunes.

This movie seems to reflect the quagmire that was inside Prince himself at the time...He was trying new things but very disjointedly. The New Power Generation had replaced the Revolution, and there are many occurences of the symbol that would become his name (at least early forms of it).

The highlights of the film for me were the performances of Morris Day and the Time, Mavis Staples, George Clinton (even though he seemed to be performing a Prince tune instead of his own work) and the short dance number by Tevin Campbell.

If you like Prince, take a gander at the film...just don't expect Purple Rain. If you don't like Prince, don't bother.

"Awful" doesn't even BEGIN to describe this . . .

Author: BrianG from California
18 April 2000

Where do you start? I would rather sit through a nonstop marathon of Madonna's movies; I would rather be chained to a stake and have to fight off a horde of ravenous crocodiles while watching Richard Simmons and 300 fat women sweating to the oldies; I would rather listen to a recording of Fran Drescher singing the aria from "The Barber of Seville" in SurroundSound than ever have to sit through this thing again. Absolutely everything about this film is absolutely awful. The ultimate vanity project. Even if you like his music, forcing yourself to submit to this boring, pretentious, disjointed tribute by an egomaniac to himself isn't worth it. Buy the album if you must. Avoid this steaming pile of offal at all costs.

Pretty Bad and Offbeat

Author: gator1110 from United States
7 April 2008

This was not a good idea to say the least. This was a pretty atrocious movie from start to finish. The major problem was Prince tried to have his hands in everything in this film and it doesn't work. He wrote, produced, directed, and starred in this movie. This was a bad move. Now the music in the movie was slamming because Prince is always on point when it comes to music, but the rest doesn't make a lot of sense. It's very offbeat. Many times in the movie for no apparent reason Prince would lift up his girl and they would just stare at each other for minutes at a time with no dialog. There's a lot of weird and pointless situations that happen like this throughout the movie. Because of this the movie crashes and burns.

Now I'm a fan of Prince's music. He's definitely a brilliant artist but he honestly should have had someone else write the script. He's always gonna come correct with the music, but the rest he might not wanna work in. Purple Rain was cool and so was Under the Cherry Moon, but this one shouldn't of been given the green light. If there's anything good that comes from this movie it's the soundtrack.

Very underrated and misunderstood

Author: JonTMarin (JonTMarin88@hotmail.com) from New York
17 August 2004

Coming off his commercially disappointing album "Lovesexy",

Prince was into the whole spiritual thing. He conceived "Graffiti

Bridge" sometime in 1989, planning to make it a film with him and

his then girlfriend Kim Basinger. They broke up but "Graffiti Bridge"

was still going to be made. He took time off to compose the

"Batman" soundtrack and in late '89, he began filming "Graffiti

Bridge". Many that got first dibs on the film forewarned a lot of

people about it. "Graffiti Bridge" was released in the fall of 1990

with horrible reviews. It also bombed at the box office. People that

didn't even see the film gave it negative reviews. What people fail

to understand is that "Graffiti Bridge" is a musical. It is almost like

a homage to the old 50's musicals that were filmed on studio lots.

This was film on Prince's Paisley Park compound, giving it a

cheap look. Perhaps Prince took himself a little bit too seriously

when advertising it, and threw people off making them think it is a

regular movie. "Graffiti Bridge" is like one long music video. And

honestly, the acting is horrible. The highlight of the film has to be

the music. That is the whole point. It is a musical and nothing else.

So don't watch "Graffiti Bridge" expecting a real movie with drama

and great acting. It's a good film but it has it's flaws.

Graffiti Bridge- rated R **1/2 out of ****

Purple Rain II; made me into a fan.

Author: Robert Morgan from Indianapolis
20 July 1999

My Prince-fan friend had to drag me to this film when it came out; I hated Prince, but was a fan of Elisa Fiorillo (the female vocalist for Love Machine), and hoped she'd be in the film. She wasn't, but the movie kind of got to me, and was instrumental in my getting over my phobic "hatred" of Prince. This movie, while a sequel to Purple Rain, is more a *fantasy* movie. It plays out like a dream, and if you have a hard time accepting a movie willing to suspend reality, then you're never really going to enjoy this film. The "romance" between Aura and the Kid develops oddly, just as one would expect anything with Prince to... the music is great, the dialogue throughout is very lyrical (almost like word jazz; the pacing, flow, and delivery is more important than the words uttered.), the sets and costumes are ethereal. Taken as a whole, and with an open mind, this movie works well.

Tragic Disappointment

Author: (shockadelica_869@hotmail.com) from Prescott, Michigan
26 August 2003

I am a die-hard fan of Prince and his music, but even I thought this movie was horrible! The plot lacks sunstance, and viewers are left with little comprehension and a lot of guesswork. This movie was weak--at best! I was, and still am--very disappointed.

God, what in the hell was Prince thinking???

Author: (2freaky4church@my-deja.com) from Las Vegas Nevada
21 August 2000

A mumbling, pandering piece of fluff. Touched by an angel before it was sheik. Great music wasted in bad plot about a spiritual rivalry. A spiritual movie is hard to make without being preachy, but this movie doesn't say a thing. Prince sleeps and mumbles. His acting is like he was reading from a teleprompter in his crotch. The stage bits are all right but the idea that people are all turned off by Princes' wonderful music is laughable at best. Morris Day is good as usual, but he doesn't have much of a script to work with. The angel plot point would make more sense if we actually knew why she was there in the first damn place. Was she trying to save Morris or Prince? Also, didn't realize that a wanton jeep could kill an angel, I thought they didn't die. The sets look like a game show backdrop and you don't feel like this is a movie with much brains. Prince gloated in an interview that the film didn't have sex or violence. Guess what Prince, it doesn't have brains either. A glam, throw away. Great music wasted..Once again, "why was this movie made"?

from purple to blue !

Author: fayesbridegroom from United States
20 December 2006

"graffiti bridge" follows on from "purple rain" prince's movie debut. It is quite a cult film and will only appeal to a limited audience. Visually it is very pleasant to the eye with more delicate choreography than in "purple rain" and musically its a real treat with a sound embraced in the technology of that era, but still lavished with prince's unique musical style. this movie expands on prince's spiritual ethos and retains a quirky mix of childlike innocence and adult sexuality. This movie is quite visionary for musicians as it offers some insight into the need for spiritual direction in music, as in all art. i enjoyed the movie and if you enjoyed movies such as "purple rain" or "interstella 5555" then i think you would probably enjoy this one.

Page 1 of 4:[1] [2] [3] [4] [Next]