IMDb > The Godfather: Part III (1990) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
The Godfather: Part III

The Godfather: Part III More at IMDbPro »

Page 10 of 53: [Prev][5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [20] [Next]

Fitting conclusion to the series

Author: Leofwine_draca from United Kingdom
14 April 2014

THE GODFATHER: PART III may not be the best film in the world, but it does serve as a fitting conclusion to the Oscar-winning series. The story (as well as the director and actors) have now moved on 20 years, allowing the narrative a change to explore the differences that age and time have had upon them, making a story that in some aspects feels superior to the second film, which didn't really add much that we didn't know from the original.

Coppola's direction is assured as ever, and there are enough returning actors from the original series to make this a joy to watch. The newcomers are also pretty interesting, in particular Andy Garcia, who seems to be channelling Pacino's spirit from the first two movies. I didn't find Sofia Coppola to be distracting in the least, only that the camera is clearly in love with her, which you'd expect given that the director's her father.

What I enjoyed most is that the film gets back to the series origins: this one's about corruption in high places, religion, betrayal and violent murder. The characters visit some dark places, which is what we the viewer wish to watch, and the extended opera set-piece works nicely along with the helicopter assault. It also doesn't feel as slow as the admittedly superior second part, which is also a point in its favour.

A satisfying conclusion.

Author: antonyturbo98 from Australia
24 January 2014

An underrated and unjustifiably criticized conclusion to the Godfather trilogy. This movie is not in the ''elite'' category of its predecessors, however it deserves acknowledgment and appreciation. Centred on Michael Corleone, the film explores the cost his lifestyle has inflicted upon his own existence. We see that he has been weakened by the pressure and barbarism of being the ''Don'' of the Corleone family. This is shown throughout the film, as he comes to the heartbreaking and miserable conclusion that he has damaged everyone he was meant to care for. He is unable to escape the cold darkness of crime, and it eventually engulfs him in a fascinating, beautiful and emotional way. What truly is this films' saving grace, and what changes it from a good film to a great one, is the epic finale, in which Michael witnesses the death of his daughter, and reflects upon his life of misery. The ending is perhaps one of the most powerful in the history of cinema, as Michael, an old and decrepit man, due to the emotional agony he has been exposed to over his life, slowly and sadly passes away with not one loved one near him to witness his death.

Perhaps what let this movie down, and what lowers it below the standards of it's flawless predecessors is that the other characters displayed are either victims of poor acting (Mary Corleone), or under development. Certain scenes are victims of mediocre script writing, which is a disappointment for the higher standard displayed in the previous installments of the trilogy.

Despite these weaknesses, the Godfather Part 3 is a satisfying conclusion with areas of absolute perfection, but blatant weaknesses which remove it from it's flawless predecessors.

8.3/10

A Disappointing Conclusion to the Godfather Trilogy

Author: leomirelesortiz
31 December 2013

This movie is not terrible, I mean it has it's flaws, and doesn't live up to the high standards the first two movies established, it's plot is messy, most of the actors (especially Sofia Coppola) are bland, and boring, but Al Pacino is great, and the directing work is just as great in the last two installments, but it is still not as good as them. Overall it's pretty weak, and it's just doesn't live up to it's predecessors, but it is still pretty good movie, with some flaws here, and there, but also some strong points, so I wouldn't recommend to skip it because it gives good closure to Michael Corleone's story, and it is not a happy one.

Ghost of great movies past

Author: SnoopyStyle
27 December 2013

This starts with a recap of the previous two movies. It's an opening montage indicative of this movie. It's a shadow living off the ghosts of past greatness.

It's 1979, the new characters include Mary (Sofia Coppola) daughter of Michael Corleone (Al Pacino), and Vincent Mancini (Andy Garcia) the illegitimate son of Sonny Corleone. Michael is trying to go legit, but the Corleone family crime partner Joey Zasa (Joe Mantegna) is disrespecting Michael. All out fighting breaks out between Vincent and Joey. "Just when I thought I was out... they pull me back in." It is the only quote worth quoting.

The third generation doesn't have it. Only Andy Garcia has any acting prowess. He has the cockiness of a street punk. Sofia Coppola is just a symbol of the lack of depth in the cast. It's shocking since I would expect that all of Hollywood would be jumping through hoops to get a bit part or some background work in this iconic franchise. Francis Ford Coppola doesn't have anything left in this franchise. Even Pacino looks dried up. Instead of muscle and threats, Michael does business deals. It doesn't have the same power and menace.

Clearly the worst film in the trilogy, but nevertheless very good!

Author: axel-koch from Austria
15 December 2013

The last installment in the Godfather trilogy, The Godfather Part III, has some obvious flaws. Including real life events out of the time of the Vatican's crisis in the late 70's and early 80's, for one, let the whole plot seem a bit weird and didn't work all the time. Even more crucial, the casting of Sofia Coppola as Michael's grown-up daughter Mary. Although we've come to experience her directing qualities a decade later, she just didn't succeed in her role and was utterly unconvincing throughout the film. And, as in the two first films, it's also more than a tad too long, which makes for some rather dreary moments. Nevertheless, The Godfather Part III is a very good film and can very well compete with the rest of the series, despite being yet another step back from The Godfather's initial quality. Not only can the audience still enjoy fabulous cinematography, set design, and score work (all of these securing the film's respectable amount of Oscar nominations), but also some final 20 minutes that will keep The Godfather Part III in your memory. As we can relish in the insanely well-made shots of all the people that have just died under most unnatural circumstances, the crew concocts what are, in my opinion, the three best shots of all three films: Frederick Keinszig, hanging dead from a bridge, Calò stabbing Don Lucchesi with his own glasses, and Archbishop Gilday falling to his dead. It may be just a bit too little of everything to establish Part III's place on the same shelf as the first two films in the series, but it's still the great Francis Ford Coppola that directed it and made the most out of a story significantly less interesting than I had expected.

Good film - but it's the worst of all three, in my opinion.

Author: The_Riddler_1948
8 July 2014

The Godfather was good, with some outstanding scenes, acting, and directing. The Godfather II made its predecessor look like an outdated piece of mushy cake with a left-over warped-face - it was JUST THAT GREAT, and it was BOUNDS ahead of the first one. And then, there's this one - The Godfather Part III - which is a very interesting and concluding film to the series. Thrilling, entertaining, and so much more. But you can't help find difficulty in saying it's "better than any of the predecessors" as it, in all honesty, is not.

The Godfather III is a very good crime-thriller that concludes the much- loved trilogy in epic ways - however, that being said, it's still far worse in comparison to the second one, and it's not as the first one either. With plenty of good acting, of course, you can't help but love it; or parts of it, even. Was part of the problem HOW LONG THEY LEFT IT!?!? Nah, probably not. But presumably, it's because there wasn't anything spicy, or new they could add to the bowl --- all the greatness had been left behind, ultimately, in Part II - which is a masterpiece, might I add.

The Godfather III deserves its 7.6 rating, I guess. But I wouldn't give it 7.6, I would give it 7.0. EXACTLY SEVEN. It's a good film that you'll probably enjoy MORE if you ACTUALLY HAVE seen the first two.

Decently good rating of 7.0, I award it.

stinky pooh

Author: jacobjohntaylor1 from barry's bay
2 July 2014

Don't get me wrong the first 2 movies were piles pooh pooh. This is much fresher pile of pooh pooh. Then the first 2. That not good because fresh pooh pooh is worst then manure. All the Godfather movies stink. This one is the worst. Later they are the worst they are. The first one is the beast one and that does to say mush. All these movie are the same no good guys just bad guy killing each other. That is just pointless. All these movies are pointless there was no resin to make them. They suck. I used think that the worst gangster movie ever was the Godfather II now I stand corrected. This is worst gangster movie ever. Do not wast time and money on any of the Godfather movies all is to short.

Hugely underrated film

Author: Kyle Sherry from United Kingdom
19 February 2014

The third installment of the Godfather franchise is not given the credit it truly deserves. Although the first and second films are outstanding,arguably the two greatest movies of all time the third deserves more credit. A fantastic story line and incredible acting, particularly from Al Pacino. The third installment is critical in the series and finishes the story of Michael Corleone and his life. The film has been put down and this really is not fair on the movie. The Godfather Part 3 is a brilliant movie that should be watched with an open mind. 8/10 for the excellent acting and the way that Francis Coppola brings the story together.

Unnecessary Sequel

Author: oldgoldtop from United States
27 January 2014

There was a Godfather Marathon on TV this weekend so I finally had a chance to see the final sequel. I give this a 3 because it seemed a pointless addition to the first two films that were so good. I really had expected something more. I am surprised this disappointing screenplay was selected.

Michael's search for redemption seems conflicted, insincere and ultimately unsuccessful. He continues to choose revenge and wreak destruction that damages his family and his soul. So why bother except maybe to cash in? The ending to GF2 was sufficient. There really is nothing new...except he dies (physically). The final shot in GF2 says it all. Perhaps that is how the final shot in GF3 should be interpreted. It almost is as if the last shot of Michael from GF2 could have dissolved into the last shot from GF3 and we would not have to have GF3 at all!

We all have choices on how to live our lives. Michael could have easily changed but instead chose to involve himself in an underhanded business deal with the Church. It makes his claim of seeking redemption and protecting his family seem insincere when contrasted with his desire to profit via the tainted Imobilare deal.

The scene where the bosses are killed in Atlanta is ridiculous and illogical. Don Altobelo's poisoning seemed comical and far fetched as do the Arch Bishops and Leichesi's murders. "I need to whisper in your ear." LOL!!! Many scenes seem stiff and forced. The plot involving the Church complicates viewing and seems a contrived attempt to incorporate real events. It seems cliché to bring in stereotypes of big business/religion and equate them to organized crime and murder. We are left seeing Michael die alone in Sicily yet he had finally opened a connection to Kay and had taken steps to remove their daughter from the former family business. It seems they should have been able to find some common ground and comfort. The ending implies otherwise. Perhaps some things are too unforgivable to ever escape. Here I am referring especially to Fredo's murder in GF2. Mary's death was indirect and is one more nail in his coffin. Nothing in this film really adds anything of substance to the first two.

It almost seems fitting that Coppalas daughter plays Mary. Mafia type nepotism and destruction to the ones you love. Just kidding!

The weakest of the trilogy, but still good

Author: jackasstrange from United States
10 January 2014

I came to watch this film with the lowest expectations. I knew beforehand that it wasn't as good as the previous(masterpieces) installments, and some said it wasn't even a good film at all. Well, I enjoyed it. Not as much as the first two, much less actually, but still a good film. I admit, I don't think it was necessary at all, but hey, neither the second installment was necessary after all. The Godfather could've been finished in the way the first film ended, because after all, it was an excellent ending. But the second still turned to be a masterpiece, so why not right? And anyways, no film is necessary by this logic.

But lets go back to the main subject. The Godfather part III is a good film, that shows the old stage of Michael Corleone's life. Well, there is a fundamental difference in this film. Michael has much less screen time than in the previous The Godfather film, and almost as much screen time as the first Installment (that was no much more than one hour or so). His 'bastard' son, interpreted by Andy Garcia, is the one who shares screen time with Pacino. Unfortunately I don't find his character charismatic at all, what seems to be the intention. I just find him harmless…my opinion, obviously. Those who watched The Godfather will find that his behavior looks a lot like Sonny, no wonder, is his son, so the behavior must be something hereditary…yeah, it wasn't impactive at all.

And anyways, it shows much more about the tragic side of being in the mob than anything else. Michael in that film is not the same Michael as the previous installments, worthy noting. He is full penitence here, and is a totally different person. Not the cold gangster that we met. He don't wants to be a 'sinner' anymore. Well, I do understand why some fans of the first two film wont like it at all. It basically kills the irony that was all around the story.

Technically, it's a great film, almost on par with the other films. Story wise, nowhere near. 7.8/10