IMDb > The Godfather: Part III (1990) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
The Godfather: Part III

The Godfather: Part III More at IMDbPro »

Page 15 of 53: [Prev][10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [20] [21] [22] [23] [24] [25] [Next]

A good story ruined by one bad apple

Author: adube from Standish, ME
3 October 2001

I found Godfather Part III to be a plausible, but somewhat flawed, ending to the Godfather saga. The story of Immobiliare and corruption within the church was riveting. Most of the parts were acted well, especially Pacino's and Garcia's. The notable exception, as many have pointed out, was Sofia Coppola - she was definitely miscast for the central and crucial role of Maria. The woman just cannot act, at least in this film. A good film would have been a much better one had Winona Ryder stayed on.

Other shortcomings: the hit scene in Atlantic City was just not believable. More people would have fled that room than what was shown. Also, the final scene in which Mary is killed is overly melodramatic, while it defies the law of physics. I don't know of anyone who could take a shot in the chest from a 9mm at close range, then have enough strength to keep standing and say "Daddy" before collapsing (OK, maybe the guy from Halloween could).

Also, what happens to Connie, and Vinnie after the hit at the opera? A short glimpse of their lives after would have been good.

Despite the flaws, it is still a good film. It could have been much, much better, perhaps even one of the best in the saga, with better writing and casting.

eh not bad

Author: the don-15 from dallas, texas
8 July 2001

this movie is underrated cause well if you think about it is a good movie as its own it doesnt live up to the first two but it has some good points in it. i like how michael is depicted in this one he is nearing death and he wants to clean his sins with holy water, and andy garcia has the qualitys of sonny and sometimes as an early michael.the plot is good but..here comes the but..there are flaws ..first robert duvall should have been in it.. he should have..second sofia coppola...god bless her should have been replaced by wynonna rider.and second the movie is missing one thing all of the movies or the first two have been father to son and in this one it is father to daughter? i mean she shouldnt have been givin that much screen time in it...but overall this movie is pretty good in its own ways. but it is a wonderfull ending to the corleone saga. 8/10

Works Better Than It Should

Author: DanB-4 from Canada
21 May 2001

Godfather II and I are number I and II on my all-time movie list respectively. There are timeless, awesome, skillful films worthy of their Oscars and accolades. GIII does not make my top 25.

That's not to say it is a bad film. It is quite good. But take away these rich, wonderful characters and links to the previous classics and you have a long and confusing film.

The plot is well known - patriarch Michael Corleone's attempts to buy his way out of the criminal empire he built and ruthlessly ruled, thwarted by his enemies and his bloodthirsty, power-hungry nephew Vincent(brilliantly played by Andy Garcia), who is poised to take command of the family business. There is also the strong theme of Michael's guilt for his past offenses, most notably the murder of his brother.

It is a sad a grim tale, with what I thought was a very satisfying ending. Without spoiling, lets just ask this question - does a life long criminal and murderer deserve any better?

The movie's best scene takes place when Michael sees the wise and powerful Cardinal Lamberto and receives a reluctant absolution of his sins. I love this scene because the Cardinal understands him so well, and knows that he can be more than he is, but won't.

The movie has a flaw which comes very close to ruining it completely - and that is of course the infamous casting of Soffia Coppola in the pivotal role of Michael's daughter, Mary. A great deal of this plot revolves around the passionate, dangerous love of Vincent and Mary and it simply does not work. She lumbers around on the screen like an amateur and destroys every scene she has. I never bought in for a second that Vicent cared at all about her as anything more than a trick.

All that said, Diane Keaton, Eli Wallach and Joe Mantegna all offer wonderful supporting roles. Talia Shire shines again as Connie. The script is great and the theme of the trilogy is very clear - don't take sides against the family. I value this film a great deal primarily because it does a great job of winding up the story of Michael. Do not see this first, see the three in order.

***1/2 out of ****.

A disappointing finale to a great saga.

Author: ssjohnq from Chicago, IL
11 October 2000

As a huge fan of the first 2 movies, I was disappointed with Francis Ford Coppola's final chapter. Events surrounding the production of the movie doomed this picture to be a letdown from the start. Director Francis Ford Coppola cast his own daughter, Sofia, to play the part of Michael Corleone's daughter since Winona Ryder had backed out due to an illness. Ms. Coppola's performance was laughable at best. You would think that Mr. Coppola would have at least paid for some acting lessons. My other problem with this movie is that Robert Duvall was missing in his role as Tom Hagen, family consigliere. Mr. Duvall wanted way too much money which was rightly deserved. I couldn't get used to seeing a sun-baked George Hamilton advise the family. It's a shame that all this overshadowed great performances by Al Pacino, Andy Garcia, and Joe Mantegna as Joey Zaza, but it did. I would've enjoyed seeing Andy Garcia reprise his role as Don Vincenzo Corleone in a fourth installment but now that screenwriter/author Mario Puzo has so dearly departed us, we may be stuck with this disappointing third and final picture as our only memory of his legacy.

Ponderous and self-indulgent

Author: stills-6 from california
1 October 2000

Extremely disappointing given that it's supposed to be a "III" for the first two. Taken by itself, it's just not a good movie.

While the first two episodes are entertaining and spontaneous self-contained tragedies, this one is a ponderous epilogue for the entire story. Instead of a separate story to tell, this movie tries to fill in the previous stories with post-70s psychological motivations, like a middle-aged man looking back on his life and career when he should be focusing on his present life. It's not fun to watch.

This movie sucked.

Author: (idolitor@hotmail.com) from USA
9 August 2000

This movie was a major disappointment. The first film in the trilogy is by far one of the best movies ever made, and the sequel almost lived up to that title. But this third installment uses the name to ruin everything. The first hour and a half is incredibly slow. The opposing families are killed off in an unrealistic action movie fashion. Once the scene changes to Italy, the film picks up a bit, but not enough to save it entirely. Granted, the attempted assassination was intense (although stolen from the first film). The best part was the end, where Michael truly gets his.

Weakest Godfather film (which isn't saying much)

Author: mljhughson (mljhughson@yahoo.co.uk) from Glasgow, Scotland
21 April 2000

After the first two, classic instalments of the Godfather saga, and over sixteen years later, there was no way that this would be able to live up to the hype, in the same way as we've seen recently with The Phantom Menace. Sure enough it's not as good and it drags a bit in places but there are still some amazing moments, such as the break-in in Andy Garcia's apartment and the powerful finale. The acting is great particularly from Garcia and Pacino, and Sofia Coppola isn't as bad in this as she's been made out to be. The weakest Godfather film but the best Coppola film since Apocalypse Now.

Not as Bad as You've Heard

Author: Ephraim Gadsby from USA
6 March 2000

Though no fan of gangster movies, I find the Corleones keep pulling me back in. The Godfather, of course, is the best free-standing movie of Coppola's series, and no sequels were necessary in Puzo's and Coppola's extremely well done near-parody, where a gangster story is raised to the levels of Shakespearean tragedy. Once Part 2 was made, Part 3 was an eventual necessity, as a coda. Taken together, the series raises the gangster story to Homeric proportions and makes all other mob flicks glitter like glass compared to Coppola's diamond.

Welcome in this movie were the Byzantine Vatican intrigues -- and the portrayal of at least one true man of faith (perhaps the last ever to appear in a mainstream movie). Eli Wallach made a fine addition to the series. The cinematography, as always, was gorgeous.

Less than welcome: the fact that Robert Duvall turned it down (it would've been nice for him to have a respectable death scene), and the fact that, good though the film is, the typical bloodbath at the end is confusing. The very very very end scene is cheapened the movie and the series.

The major problem is focus. There are simply too many loose strands in this yarn, and it was understandably difficult to tie the ragged ends together. Then, this movie is simply too dependent on what came before, which gives it nary a chance to stand on its own.

Don't Blame Puzo

Author: genius-15 from USA
12 November 1999

This had nothing to do with his brilliant book. Most of the plot was taken right from Rupert Cornwell's "God's Banker", the true story of vatican banker Roberto Calvi (Frederick Keinszig in this movie), who helped sicilian mob leaders (including the sinister P-2 fraternal society) defraud the church of hundreds of millions of dollars (and was found hanging beneath Blackfriar's Bridge in London in 1982). The rest of the film was Francis Ford Copolla's hastily thrown-together distortion of Puzo's epic, one of the finest novels in history. I was so repulsed by the awful plot that I barely noticed the often cited incompetence of Sofia Copolla, Diane Keaton, and Al Pacino (as well as the incomprehensible casting of Bridget Fonda, Eli Wallach, and George Harrison). Connie, the weak, dimwitted housewife is now the Godmother??? I really feel bad that Copolla's several hundred million dollar salary and royalties was too little for him to avoid tainting his own name with such a disaster.

alright

Author: gazzo-2 from United States
9 October 1999

This was pretty good for what it was, and did well at the box office(66M in 1990-91). I liked the performances for the most part, enjoyed the bow to John Gotti(Joey Zasa?) and the cinematic skill Coppola used throughout.

His kid can't act.

Pacino was good, so was Mrs. Rocky(sorry) and Garcia. I can't say that I was impressed with the last half hour though-just WHO killed the Pope, the Italian Mob or Pacino? The dead guy hanging from the bridge, who did him? Why? And where did Garcia go to at the end?

Roger Ebert made the observation that many of these scenes were shot from afar, and bore the looks of being over-dubbed in post production: i.e. even Coppola didn't really know 'til afterwards, flipping a coin, more like.

But I think they got it right more than wrong, and it is worth watching.

*** outta ****