IMDb > Ghost (1990) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Ghost

Ghost More at IMDbPro »

Page 8 of 24: [Prev][3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [Next]

All time favorite

Author: fogfrogblog from United States
25 December 2007

Ghost has everything of a genre, drama, sexy scene, suspense, romance, a little action, thriller, comedy, sci-fi, and even a painful death in the end that is so simple it would make SAW like a joke. All the chemistry between actors work very well. It's a movie that plays with your emotions constantly, not a dull moment. Sixth Sense is boring compare to this movie. Very creative writing, very smart. Even the editing, the transitions were ahead of its time. And this is before digital special effects were popular.

This is really a classic, that you can watch over and over. They did sound effects really well in this film.

I would recommend this to everyone, specially those who are in the film-making business.

This film delivers time and time again

Author: mjw2305 from England
7 January 2007

Sam Wheat (Patrick Swayze) is murdered, just as he and his sweetheart, Molly Jensen (Demi Moore) were enjoying their near perfect life. Not ready to accept his early departure from the realm of the living, Sam is left walking the earth as a ghost. He is trapped, only able to witness the truth behind his murder and the threat that now surrounds Molly.

With the help of Oda Mae Brown (Whoopi Goldberg) a spiritualist with a questionable history; Sam tries to solve the mystery and save the one he loves.

The cast is very strong and they all deliver, the direction is sublime and the story is both complex enough to provoke your thinking and simple enough to captivate everyone. The result is a movie with many humorous moments, visuals that really work effectively, a love story that is very moving and a mystery that is thrilling to watch.

Ghost is enjoyable time and time again, and it is still remembered for its originality and impact years later.

You Know You Can't Give Up The Ghost

Author: gavin6942 from United States
1 January 2006

Sam Wheat (Patrick Swayze) is gunned down by a Puerto Rican hit-man after stumbling upon a co-worker illegally funneling four million dollars into a fake account. His ghost then tries to avenge the murder and protect his girlfriend Molly, a young Demi Moore who looks like a 12-year old boy. Hilarity ensues when he recruits the worst actress ever, Whoopi Goldberg, to act as a medium between ghost and human world.

One evening in January 2006, I had nothing better to do than watch "Ghost" on the ABC Family network with my sister. And I freely admit it sucked me in. This was my first time seeing the film since being considerably younger, though I recalled most of the plot. I re-watched the film yet again in October 2007 and August 2010.

The real fun of the film begins when Swayze learns to touch the human world thanks to Vincent Schiavelli (a character actor who coincidentally died a week before my January 2006 viewing). Not unlike "Ghost Dad", the challenge is to make things happen in the world of the living while you remain dead. And unlike "Beetlejuice", you cannot come back by having someone say your name three times.

The special effects in this film I always thought were pretty good by 1990 standards. The walking through walls looks fine, and the "hell spirits" (for lack of a better term) really scared me when I was younger (and even now are somewhat creepy). Sure, the microscope vision when he walks through doors and such is cheesy and was completely unnecessary, but it answers a question some viewers may have had about what ghosts see.

I've heard physics people complain that Sam can go through walls and doors and other objects, yet is able to stand on the floor just fine, or even go up stairs. That is a really valid point... but let's just admit it: the plot would be less interesting if they had to deal with such limitations, or brought Sam back as a mere spirit with no shape.

Quicker than you can say "turn me on, dead man" this film will work its way into your heart with a simple, romantic (yet somewhat action-packed) plot and classic song ("Unchained Melody"). You've probably already seen this movie a dozen times, but if not (if you're like my sister) you should see it soon.

A film beyond words, although I'll supply many

Author: j-cooney from United States
5 December 2005

Although often marginalized by my contemporaries, colleagues, and the world of academia at large, the character of Ode May Brown is one of the most riveting, pivotal, and important literary characters of the past two centuries and quite possibly ever. Not since Charles Dickens' character of Louis Fontaine and Shakespeare's obscure and typically underrated Thomas Jack Abercrombie has a character sparked a national revolution, packed theaters (stage, projection, or otherwise), and redefined the term "exoneration." The 1980's, similar to 1923, was a time of prosperity, indulgence, and limitless thinking. With this hotbed of bohemian sentiment and excessive wealth to invest in the outrageous, the timing was perfect for imaginative works of zaniness and the fantastical. While stock-brokers were hitting it big on Wall Street, Andy Warhol was working in his "factory" in New York with Basquiat, Robert Greenwald was directing the yet unknown glitter-encrusted light and roller-epic "Xanadu" and Ridley Scott was preparing for work on his unicorn fantasy dream known as "Legend." Nobody was prepared for the cesspool of cinema stinkers to come in a period known as "the nineties." Being the final decade of a century, one would think the world was ready for images and sounds that were out of this world. Instead, the world was treated (heavy on the sarcasm) to such gems as "Reality Bites," "The Silence of the Lambs," "The Piano," and "Basic Instinct." Not only were these films and every other film in the decade minus two completely devoid of anything spectacular or colorful, but they lacked the charm of the previous decade. In fact, the only other creative work to hit cinemas in this decade in addition to the piece discussed in this manifesto was Evita (review coming soon). The decade had the number 90 in it and was a time of grunge, filth, over-sized sweaters, garbage, flannel, and various other low-life things. The stage was set for something better for audiences to feast on.

Breaking into this "Bleak House" that was cinema in the mid-90's, 1990 brought us a revolutionary picture that nobody would ever forget yet everyone strangely already knew because it was so engrained into the fabric of their being. Tired of grit on their movie teeth, people ate up this film with such enthusiasm. This film was Jerry Zuckers, "Ghost!" (Editor's note, the actual film title does not have an exclamation point in it because the marketing person at Paramount Pictures is an idiot. The exclamation point has been added because it should have had one in the first place.). Everything from the music (who will ever hear the Righteous Brothers' Unchained Melody the same way again?) to the special effects were unfathomable.

However, while the film was superior to every film effort up until that point, the actual film paled in comparison to a small unassuming character housed within the feature presentation. Much like a priceless Merlot in a Dixie Cup or scribbles writing musings from Plato, "Ghost!" was simply a cheap container from Wal-Mart to hold something which surpassed everything anyone has ever known. That character was Ode May Brown. A character with such warm charm and charisma that anything that surrounded it was rendered meaningless and often profane.

It is well known that the actress Whoopi Goldberg won an Academy Award for her portrayal of Ode May Brown. Many of my fellow and sometimes accomplished critics feel that her performance was nothing short of, well, amazing. This is the general malaise' and rhetoric that plagues both my writings and my acceptance in the mainstream media world. But I ask, and perhaps I digress, but to what capacity was Goldberg actually participating in? Going against the grain, I feel that Ode May Brown existed before Whoopi was even born and her character was not acting at all. Furthermore, the writer of this entry loathes Goldberg and feels that she has completely the only task she was put on this Earth for and can just as well disappear for all I'm concerned. The only thing about about Ode May Brown and the only thing Whoopi can do on this Earth that is worthwhile would be to make "Ghost! 2!" I'm not sure what exec. at Paramount has not set this production into motion, but rest assured, once this article gets out, "Ghost!" sequels WILL get made which, unfortunately, will revive the career of Ms. Goldberg, but more importantly will bring back Ode May S. Brown (if you know what the S. stands for, please e-mail me!!!) and her 2 lovely sisters to the big screen. For me, this mythic character is the most enthralling..."thing" I can imagine and I would pay sums of money to learn more of her origins. Prequel anyone?

"Ghost" - Do you believe?

Author: dee.reid from United States
10 July 2005

The best thing that can be said about "Ghost" is that it's starkly earnest in the portrayal of two people whose love for one another is boundless, not even by death. So when Molly Jensen (Demi Moore) coos to her yuppie boyfriend Sam Wheat (Patrick Swayze) that she loves him, to which he dimly replies "Ditto," it's genuine romance - it's the real McCoy.

"Ghost" was the romantic hit of 1990 and was directed amiably by Jerry Zucker (of "Airplane!" infamy) and written by Bruce Joel Rubin, who also scripted "Jacob's Ladder" that same year, which was another film that questioned the paranormal activity that is life after death. "Ghost" contains many of the comedic elements on display in Zucker's earlier "Airplane!" hit but remains pretty loyal to the seriousness of its subject matter.

Sam has led a pretty charmed life: he has a beautiful girlfriend, a trustworthy friend Carl (Tony Goldwyn), a well-paying job as a Wall Street banker, and a brand-spanking new apartment with the woman he loves. But Sam's charmed life comes to an abrupt end one night when he's gunned down during an attempted robbery by Willie Lopez (Rick Aviles) - "he's Puerto Rican."

But the movie's not over, as Sam is left to roam the streets of New York City alone and without any way to communicate with the living. He can't be seen or heard by living people, so he spends his days walking the streets and watching carefully over the grieving Molly as she attempts to piece together her life without him. Between doing this and that, Sam eventually learns the identity of his assailant and where he lives but cannot do anything about it.

But when all hope seems lost, Sam wanders into a shop run by a storefront psychic named Oda Mae Brown (Whoopi Goldberg, who won the Oscar for Best Supporting Actress), who likes to swindle grieving people out of their money by convincing them that she can talk with the dead. It's from their dynamic interactions that much of the film's comedic elements are derived.

Oda Mae is shocked when she finds that she really can hear Sam (but can't see him) and he uses her as a medium so that he can communicate with Molly and inform her that she's in danger. (He's able to convince Oda Mae to help him by singing "Henry the Eight I Am.") Sam, with Oda Mae's help, gradually learns that his death was no random street mugging, and that he was murdered: Willie had been instructed by a mysterious third party to kill Sam and then retrieve his wallet, as he was on the verge of uncovering a money laundering scheme involving drug dealers.

"Ghost" does boast one of the most compelling and moving love stories ever told. The story is effective and is certainly a revealing and engaging look at the afterlife. The acting is powerful and profound, as each of the performers fill out their roles with perfect glee and believable emotions. The special effects are dated, but are also quite effective as well in showing us the processes in the afterlife, as it turns out that spirits can interact with the living and doesn't even attempt to spare us the darker sides of death.

Since Sam lacks a physical human body, he cannot move objects. But with the help of the tragic ghost (Vincent Schiavelli) that haunts the New York subway, Sam is able to physically interact with the living. He learns that by controlling one's emotions and then letting them erupt like a reactor, he can physically move an animate or inanimate object.

Do you believe in ghosts? I believe in karma, and I do believe in life after death. These are all elements in the story that are fleshed out well in Rubin's imaginative script, brought to life by the actors and the guidance of Zucker's direction. I do believe that the ladies might need tissues to wipe away the tears too, as the film's ending would prove.

"Ghost," I believe, is one of the best love stories I've ever seen. It's funny, it's heartwarming, and it's all done in a believable fashion. Love is grand, and it's forever; "Ghost" will make you believe.

the ghost vs. crime

Author: hcalderon1 from United States
24 April 2005

Sam and Molly seem to be the perfect couple, they bought an apartment. Sam is a banker and Molly does art work. They think nothing could go wrong, until the night after leaving a play, Sam is shot and the shooter leaves him to die which leaves Molly alone in the apartment. But Sam is a spirit, and discovers that the killer who murdered him is after Molly. Sam teams up with a psychic named Odamay(Whoopi Goldberg) who can hear ghost not see them, in hopes to catch the killer and save Molly. But can Sam's ghostly powers save Molly in time? I enjoyed this movie plus sister act with Whoopi Goldberg playing a big role in the movie. Patrick Swayze and Demi Moore were also great Sam and Molly.

Great!!!

Author: miken-3 (kataman1@verizon.net) from United States
6 February 2005

This is one of my top 50 favorite movies. Everybody is great in it from Patrick Swayze, Demi Moore to Whoppi Goldberg. Even the two villains were excellent though I heard that the actor who played Willie Lopez actually passed away not long after making the film.

Sam Wheat a banker, is murdered during a mugging while coming from a show with his girlfriend Mollie. For some reason Wheat is still walking the Earth, now in ghost form. He follows Mollie and finds that the killer was really after a password that he had to authorize funds transfers through the bank. Now Mollie is also in danger from the killers and Sam feels helpless.

Sam then happens upon Goldberg, who is running a scam as a medium who can communicate with the dead. Apparently, Goldberg can hear Sam talk so Sam uses Goldberg to try to communicate with Mollie and warn her of danger.

Sam then realizes that the only way to protect Mollie is to be able to use some sort of physical force. The only problem is as a ghost he has no physical substance so he cannot touch anything. Or can he? Sam learns that maybe he can touch objects when he encounters another ghost who is able to do just that. The other ghost turns out to be one of the most entertaining characters of the film.

The movie has it all from a love story, to excellent comedy, fairly decent special effects and a great story.

Excellent

Author: jofitz27 from Liverpool, England
8 January 2005

Patrix Swayze is one of my favourite actors. The first time I saw him on screen, he was in Point Break, and was great. When I rented this out and found out he was a character in Point Break, I was much more hopeful. And am glad. This, no matter what anyone says, really is a great great film.

Sam and Molly are a seemingly happy couple living in an apartment in an American city. Sam is in the financial business and Molly is seemingly a house-wife. His supposed best friend Karl and him are partners, only when he is betrayed and killed. His never-ending love for Molly allows him to stay on Earth, but only as a ghost, hence the title. After an emotional scene in which he sees his dead body, he is determined to make contact with Molly and warn her of the trouble she is in. He finds help in a phony "pshycic" who actually has powers, and she, reluctantly (after a hilarious encounter) decides to help him. At first, Molly doesn't believe the seemingly impossible equation. But as more and more things fit, she begins to believe. Could it be possible?

No matter how many bad things you hear about this film (hopefully you won't hear many) do not listen. I'm not a huge fan of romantic comedies but this, as well as making you laugh endlessly, keeps you on the edge of your seat as well as entertaining. Emmaculatly well done, this is a never-ending classic that has found a safe, comfortable place in my film collection.

Overall: ***** out of ***** (5 out of 5)

Million buck movie, don't miss it.

Author: twigfire from Japan
30 December 2004

This. Is. The Best. Movie ever!!! I don't have a favorite movie (so many, how to choose) but this would probably be it. It has sci-fi, suspense, horror, action, drama, romance, sex, comedy, every thing. You're cringing, then crying, then laughing your butt off. Patrick Swayze and Demi Moore play two lovers torn apart by death, seriously making you cry. While Patrick and Whoopi banter and argue to make the funniest scenes. You have your bad guys, the slimy and the scary, but yauaugh, the ending is a bit gross- be warned. But still, you cannot miss this movie, it is sooo gooood. The ending is a big tear bringer, with the saddest song and the even sadder goodbye... I've watched parts of the movie so many times. It's a winner.

tragic, yet funny ghost tale

Author: helpless_dancer from Broken Bow, Oklahoma
12 April 1999

A man is murdered by a mugger and his ghost comes back to his girlfriend. She can't see him, but another woman can; this woman convinces the girlfriend that he is there in spirit. One of the most tender and engrossing films of the 80's followed. The ending is guaranteed to soften the hardest heart. 5 stars.