IMDb > Ghost (1990) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Ghost

Ghost More at IMDbPro »

Page 4 of 27: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [Next]

Get Out and See It ***12

Author: edwagreen from United States
9 March 2006

The unexpected hit of 1990 earned a best picture nomination and a best supporting actress Oscar for Whoopi Goldberg's portrayal of Oda Mae Brown, a psychic delivering comic relief in a film.

Patrick Swayze and Demi Moore are lovers separated by fate. The fate being that Swayze is murdered. Murdered by his best friend, played quite well by newcomer Tony Goldwyn, the great grandson of Samuel L. Goldwyn.

There are some scary moments as the plot reveals itself. Oda Mae is hilarious at a memorable bank scene. Those devils coming out to punish Goldwyn and others are quite eerie but necessary for the plot to sustain itself.

The movie discusses the fact that not even death can prevent love from being pursued. As hard as that is to swallow, you leave the theater knowing that love conquers all.

excellent movie of there time

Author: Logan McNeil (thirteeninthecity@yahoo.com) from United States
1 January 2006

This is such a great movie of the nineties. It's about the love between too people so strong. Then all of a sudden Sam gets shot for money and his spirit is set free to the mortal world. So basically he's trying to stop Carl from killing Molly and Oda Mae. Oda Mae (Whoopi Goldberg) made this movie happen with her witty humor and talent. She defiantly deserved that Oscar for her role. I hate Carl for betraying Sam the way he did. That was messed up. I love the chemistry between Oda Mae and Sam and how she had to help him to warn Molly. That was terrific. I love this movie so much. Best romantic comedy of the early nineties. This is a perfect movie to watch with your loved ones. This movie will always be remembered.

"You're dead, Willy."

Author: Chris Howard from Australia
16 October 2005

I don't know why but this is my favourite movie of all time... Wait, I do know why I like it so much. It just came to me. The actors were really good and correctly cast, I think. The plot made sense and the characters were believable. It's a little known fact that lots of comediennes's favourite movies are actually thrillers. My favourite movie is this and it's also a thriller too. How bizarre... Sam Wheat (Swayzee) is in love and has moved in with his girlfriend, Molly. (Moore) What he doesn't know is that his friend Carl is about to betray him. Whoopi Goldberg puts humour into this black storyline to create a lighter feel to the movie which I think is good to have. This movie kept me hooked the whole time. Dead on great film. I give it 10 stars. I also urge anyone out there to see 'Point Break' another one of Swayzee's films.

Loved it....

Author: MrsAlexDeLarge
14 September 2003

I loved this movie. It was very touching and nothing was wrong with it. Great performance by Whoopi...she was hilarious and kept the movie going along even better. I liked the part when Oda didn't want to give the money to the nuns. Overall a tearjerker it was so sad at the end. ***1/2 out of ****

extremly beautiful, broke my heart in the most amazing way

Author: Roddy (rodsouthbeach) from united states
23 June 2002

inpecable directed, rich in emotions and situations, absolutely lovely whoopi goldberg is hilarious, demi moore is a sweetheart and patrick sweise is perfectly good....a touching film that nobody will forget ever personally i couldn't stop crying......

One of the most amazing and touching movies ever made.

Author: famousgir1 from London/England
4 July 2001

Ghost is definitely a one of a kind movie. It's a total tear-jerker that is just amazing. Patrick Swayze, Demi Moore, Tony Goldwyn and Whoopi Goldberg are all absolutely brilliant and the chemistry between Patrick and Demi is great. Ghost is a definite must-see for everyone. 10/10

Had some ups and downs

Author: Rasim Adem (Morbidium) from Bulgaria
26 February 2017

This is a decent fantasy/romance movie that has some interesting moments and good characters, although it felt like they couldn't find the right tune to tell it. Clearly a better and smarter screenplay could elevate this movie a lot, especially some dialogues were so out of place.

I liked the chemistry between Patrick Swayze's character and Whoopi Goldberg's character, for me that was the strongest aspect of the movie. The other good thing about this movie was how they kept the story simple and focused. However, the drama never worked for me. Movie telling you how to feel all the time combined with cheesy romance and bad acting wasn't something that I can ignore.

Totally Watchable!

Best way to watch it: catch it on TV when spending lazy time on bed.

A tear-jerker!

Author: Brian T. Whitlock (GOWBTW) from WILMINGTON, NC
1 September 2008

Life after death can be real experience after passing from the living. It can be a dream or a nightmare when you have lived you life. In "Ghost", it can be both. A yuppie in New York named Sam Wheat(Patrick Swayze) lives with his sweetheart Molly(Demi Moore) with his life in full motion. Then one night, everything changes. His life is ended with a bullet, and he's wandering the streets of New York confused and scared out of his wits. He does get help with a psychic (Whoopi Goldberg) who happened to be a know con-artist. With her help they make an effort to save Molly from certain doom. Not only Sam's killer is the culprit, but someone from his job is also guilty to his murder: Carl Bruner(Tony Goldwyn), Sam's own friend! How could it be? Somehow, he was the bigger thief than Oda Mae Brown. This movie is strong, uplifting and supportive in every way. Swayze and Moore make a great team, but Goldberg and Swayze are top-notched, that's a fact! If this movie doesn't move you, then you got a problem. 5 stars!

True love transcends time and space

Author: blugrin87
27 January 2008

What an ageless movie. It's been 18 long years since the movie's release but even when you watch it now, you know it's a classic. Shot at a time when Patrick Swayze was still riding high on the wave of fame brought about by "Dirty Dancing", this movie serves to prove his critics wrong. Though not considered a great actor in the mold of other "pretty boys" like George Clooney and Leonardo DiCaprio, Swayze more than holds his own in "Ghost".

It's a movie, first and foremost, about love. Along with it, there are other issues such as betrayal, death, and trust. Sam Wheat was murdered by a thug after watching a theater performance with his longtime girlfriend Molly (Demi Moore), and finds out only in death that his best friend Carl (Tony Goldwyn) was the one who hired the thug to kill him.

It's a powerful message the movie sends- how love can transcend all tangible and intangible barriers, as long as the heart is willing to believe in the one you love. Even as a ghost, Sam does everything he can to try and protect Molly from all dangers.

The film has many touching scenes guaranteed to leave tears flowing freely: when Molly weeps in her grief at home while doing the pottery, and Sam wants so badly to comfort her but she can't see or hear him at all. And nothing will beat the scene when Oda Mae Brown (Whoopi Goldberg) was outside her door, trying to convince Molly to open the door, but Molly refused to believe her. Then Sam uses the power of his mind to move a coin up from the floor to the door and finally into the palm of her hand. The moment was magical.

Great casting, acting, and directing- this film will leave you spellbound long after the credits roll.

Almost perfect. 9/10.

Terrific performances in a sweet movie.

Author: jehaccess6 from United States
2 December 2007

This movie really was a great follow-up role for Patrick Swayze. I was intrigued by his performance in 'Dirty Dancing' and wondered how he would approach this very different role. I was pleasantly surprised by Patrick's ability to shift gears from dancer/actor to straight actor. His portrayal of a man's eternal love for his soul-mate was very convincing. His portrayal of an investment banker was not as strong. That huge mane of curly hair did not seem to fit into the image of a corporate team player.

The strength of the film was in the chemistry between Patrick 'Sam' and Whoopi Goldberg 'Oda Mae'. These two performers played off each other so flawlessly, it was magic. It made for a strong comedic theme in a performer not noted for his comedy skills. On second thought, perhaps it was much more Whoopi than Patrick.

The chemistry between Patrick and Demi Moore 'Molly' was not as strong. They had flashes of excellence between more mundane moments. The scene where 'Molly' making pottery on a wheel turned into an amorous encounter was a very sweet moment.

The performance of Tony Goldwyn as best friend/traitor 'Carl' was extremely creepy and convincing. When he attempted to take advantage of grieving 'Molly' I first suspected that the plot would involve 'Carl' having 'Sam' murdered so that he could move in on 'Molly'. That did not exactly happen, but it seemed 'Carl' would have enjoyed this as an additional bonus to the money he wanted so badly he killed for it.

The finale made the film. Even the hardest heart melted at the love and loss experienced by 'Sam'. He showed how beautiful and loving 'Sam' really was. He had bonded with 'Oda Mae' too and it no doubt made her decide to become a better person from his example.