IMDb > Ghost (1990) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Ghost

Ghost More at IMDbPro »

Page 3 of 26: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [Next]

"Godspeed Your Love To Me"

Author: bkoganbing from Buffalo, New York
8 December 2009

If nothing else the popularity of the film Ghost guaranteed a revival of that great love song Unchained Melody. It's always a pleasure when good music is heard on the airways and we have Ghost to thank for this little treasure making a comeback.

Ghost also provided Patrick Swayze and Demi Moore with a couple of career roles as a typical yuppie couple settling in Tribeca when tragedy strikes one of them. But as it turns out, that's only the beginning of the story.

If you were to describe Ghost I guess the best way you could describe it would be a drama/fantasy with some humorous moments, mostly as a result of the casting of Whoopi Goldberg as a fake psychic. But she comes into the story in the middle of the film. Patrick and Demi, those brat pack alumni are now eager young urban professionals, Demi makes and sells her own pottery and Patrick works in a bank, in the high end area of one, he's not just a teller. When we meet them they are starting to fix up their Tribeca loft with one of Swayze's co-workers, Tony Goldwyn.

But one fateful night after seeing a performance of MacBeth, Swayze is killed as a result of a street mugging. But was it just that, a simple robbery? Not by a longshot and Swayze who was killed before his time is angry enough to stay on Earth and find out what really happened.

Of course he needs an ally and that's where Whoopi comes in. Turns out that there might be a little truth in her advertising as a spiritualist and consultant to the dead. Good enough for Whoopi to win an Oscar for Best Supporting Actress, the other Oscar Ghost won was for original screenplay.

But you won't forget Patrick and Demi as a pair of literal starcrossed lovers. You also know that the universal fates will reunite them because people who care for each other as much as they did aren't destined to stay apart.

I do so love Unchained Melody. Introduced originally by blues singer Al Hibbler in the Fifties it got a revival a decade later by the Righteous Brothers. Tony Bennett also recorded a fine version and after his death a previously unreleased version of it was put out by Bing Crosby's estate. It's a perfect song for the theme for Swayze and Moore.

One of the best love stories of the last decade of the last century, despite the tragedy that takes place, Ghost is one feel good motion picture.

Amazing...

Author: Mariano T. Dandre from United States
8 September 2008

I just finished watching Ghost and I honestly must tell you it was one of the best romances I've ever seen. It was a great film because it blends like every genre together into one amazing movie. The scenes with "Unchained Melody" will leave you with a chill. This movie is beautiful and breathtaking. Having only thing Swayze in "Dirty Dancing," I must say I was a heck of a lot more impressed by his role in this where he was VERY convincing. You felt like Demi and Pat shared a binding love. Honestly, the only thing that looked dated were the "demons". And it was funny seeing those ancient computers. Whoopi was hilarious. Even though this movie is 15 years old, it's still wonderful. Highly recommended.

A Really Entertaining Film!

Author: moviewizguy from United States
24 March 2007

Sam and Molly are a very happy couple and deeply in love. Walking back to their new apartment after a night out at the theater, they encounter a thief in a dark alley, and Sam is murdered. He finds himself trapped as a ghost and realizes that his death was no accident. He must warn Molly about the danger that she is in. But as a ghost he can not be seen or heard by the living, and so he tries to communicate with Molly through Oda Mae Brown, a psychic who didn't even realize that her powers were real.

This film probably has every genre in it. It has romance, comedy, horror, thriller, mystery, action, suspense, and fantasy! It was really freaky because first you're laughing your head off but then it all turns into a horror film. There were even some "edge-of-your-seats" scenes! The cinematography of the film is also fantastic!

This film is highly entertaining! There are some memorable romantic scenes between Patrick Swayze and Demi Moore and hilarious scenes mostly done by Whoopi Goldberg, which is one of the most memorable character in the film winning her an Oscar. The three and Tony Goldwyn were great in the film.

As I said, this is a highly entertaining film. It will probably fit well for everyone because of it's various genres. This is one of the best films!

awesome

Author: Jemma (hippyjem2k@hotmail.com) from North Yorkshire
4 January 2003

In my opinion this film is probably the biggest tear-jerker I've ever seen. It is the only film where half an hour after the film has finished I'm still sat there in floods of tears. Brilliant. This film is funny, scary, weird and romantic.

Ghost really has the power to make you believe

Author: sharkattack1978 from United Kingdom
4 March 2008

This film has helped me through so many bad times. Round about the time this was released on DVD i lost my mum to cancer. This was the last film I watched with her so nowadays it has sentimental value. This is a perfect film to watch if you're depressed as it does make you feel better after you watch it. This is my fave movie ever. I watch this nearly every month because I love the movie so much. This cannot be repeated twice, there can't be a sequel to it, It's a golden tear film (meaning weepie) The power that this film has is unbelievable. If you have lost a loved one then you'd know the power that i'm talking about. The acting is superb. Patrick really does make you believe in this character and this nightmare he is going through and by the end you really do feel the magic that the character goes through. It does really make you wonder what that life beyond death is really like. The romantic side of this film doesn't miss a beat. Patrick and Demi's chemistry is paramount to the story and it doesn't feel faked, it feels real. The inclusion of Whoopi Goldberg's character gives it a lighthearted style humour which by the end has a message to it. Jerry Zucker who recent flicks before this one were Airplane! does a great job mixing the heartfelt sentimentality with the stand out humour that you get when Patrick and Whoopi are together on screen. Whoopi quite rightly deserved that Oscar she got for this role. Her acting was brilliant. Two cast members has been outlooked by every one but without there characters this movie might not have worked. I'm talking about of course Tony Goldwyn as Karl and Rick Aviles as Willie. The subtle acting brings out their most evil side and you are genuinely shocked when you found out he was in on it the whole time. How could you allow your best friend to be murdered? You feel that their just desserts are quite literally deserved after how you see them as and what they had done to Sam. It is scary in some parts and even a little gruesome but the message does still shine through. Love is forever if you believe. By the end yes even i was in floods of tears. That is the power that this one has, to literally bring you to tears. No matter how hard you try, it will always do that. I have watched this time and time again and I still cry buckets at the end, even before the scene even starts, I'm already filling up. The end scene is the standout moment of the film. It is the magic of GHOST. There is no more powerful word than goodbye. Industrial Light and Magic create an effect that pulls at the heartstrings and the acting from the stars pulls even more. The real magic of this scene is Maurice Jarre's powerful soft instrumental theme of Unchained Melody. The soft violins lets the tears flow. It is truly beautiful. Even right now i'm thinking of it and i'm getting a lump in my throat. If you haven't seen this yet, see it now. If you want a great tearjerker, they don't come better than this.

Get Out and See It ***12

Author: edwagreen from United States
9 March 2006

The unexpected hit of 1990 earned a best picture nomination and a best supporting actress Oscar for Whoopi Goldberg's portrayal of Oda Mae Brown, a psychic delivering comic relief in a film.

Patrick Swayze and Demi Moore are lovers separated by fate. The fate being that Swayze is murdered. Murdered by his best friend, played quite well by newcomer Tony Goldwyn, the great grandson of Samuel L. Goldwyn.

There are some scary moments as the plot reveals itself. Oda Mae is hilarious at a memorable bank scene. Those devils coming out to punish Goldwyn and others are quite eerie but necessary for the plot to sustain itself.

The movie discusses the fact that not even death can prevent love from being pursued. As hard as that is to swallow, you leave the theater knowing that love conquers all.

excellent movie of there time

Author: Logan McNeil (thirteeninthecity@yahoo.com) from United States
1 January 2006

This is such a great movie of the nineties. It's about the love between too people so strong. Then all of a sudden Sam gets shot for money and his spirit is set free to the mortal world. So basically he's trying to stop Carl from killing Molly and Oda Mae. Oda Mae (Whoopi Goldberg) made this movie happen with her witty humor and talent. She defiantly deserved that Oscar for her role. I hate Carl for betraying Sam the way he did. That was messed up. I love the chemistry between Oda Mae and Sam and how she had to help him to warn Molly. That was terrific. I love this movie so much. Best romantic comedy of the early nineties. This is a perfect movie to watch with your loved ones. This movie will always be remembered.

"You're dead, Willy."

Author: Chris Howard from Australia
16 October 2005

I don't know why but this is my favourite movie of all time... Wait, I do know why I like it so much. It just came to me. The actors were really good and correctly cast, I think. The plot made sense and the characters were believable. It's a little known fact that lots of comediennes's favourite movies are actually thrillers. My favourite movie is this and it's also a thriller too. How bizarre... Sam Wheat (Swayzee) is in love and has moved in with his girlfriend, Molly. (Moore) What he doesn't know is that his friend Carl is about to betray him. Whoopi Goldberg puts humour into this black storyline to create a lighter feel to the movie which I think is good to have. This movie kept me hooked the whole time. Dead on great film. I give it 10 stars. I also urge anyone out there to see 'Point Break' another one of Swayzee's films.

Loved it....

Author: MrsAlexDeLarge
14 September 2003

I loved this movie. It was very touching and nothing was wrong with it. Great performance by Whoopi...she was hilarious and kept the movie going along even better. I liked the part when Oda didn't want to give the money to the nuns. Overall a tearjerker it was so sad at the end. ***1/2 out of ****

extremly beautiful, broke my heart in the most amazing way

Author: Roddy (rodsouthbeach) from united states
23 June 2002

inpecable directed, rich in emotions and situations, absolutely lovely whoopi goldberg is hilarious, demi moore is a sweetheart and patrick sweise is perfectly good....a touching film that nobody will forget ever personally i couldn't stop crying......