IMDb > Ghost (1990) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Ghost

Ghost More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 25:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

This is one of the most touching love stories ever made.

Author: lynx99
13 March 1999

Ghost is one of my favorite films. It is romantic and touching. Ghost shows the love that transcends even death. The chemistry between Demi Moore and Patrick Swayze is incredible. The way they look at one another is sexier than any of those very graphic "love scenes". They make a real romantic connection just through their eyes. Ghost not only has wonderful, likeable characters in Sam Wheat, Molly Jensen, and Oda Mae Brown, but it has an engrossing plot that moves right along. Entwined in all this is a beautiful score. The theme song "Ghost", written by Maurice Jarre specifically for the movie, is enchanting, and, of course, an oldie, "Unchained Melody", adds another magical touch to a magical film.

Forever a classic

Author: Robert W. (Robert_duder@hotmail.com) from Ontario, Canada
15 November 2004

Certain movies will just always be hard to write a review for. You can give your opinion and say what you enjoyed or didn't enjoy but I find myself hesitating in certain aspects just because a classic must be left some space to be a classic. Ghost as far as I'm concerned will forever be a romantic classic. It's sheer brilliance is it's twists, it is incredibly, deeply, romantic and at the same time terrifying, and has an underlying story that is never fully explored. It's got action, mystery, horror, and at the heart is the pure, simplistic romance of it all.

The story is about an investment banker played by Patrick Swayze and his girlfriend, played by Demi Moore. Sam and Molly are deeply in love, planning for the future and happier in their lives than ever before. Until Sam discovers laundered money in investment accounts. He is robbed and subsequently murdered for his password to the computer in order to empty the laundered money from the accounts. But Sam doesn't go the other side. He is kept on earth in spirit form because of his unfinished business both with Molly and to discover his murderer. He must learn the ropes of being a ghost and nobody else can hear him until he runs into a so called psychic who scams people into believing she can contact their dearly departed. However it turns out, Oda Mae Brown played in her academy award winning role by Whoopie Goldberg can actually hear Sam. Together the unlikely team must help each other uncover the horrible murder plot and save Molly.

Swayze and Moore make an incredible couple..hot on screen. Their careers have perhaps slipped since then one might say but this was them at their best. Swayze was indeed at the top of his game coming out of Dirty Dancing and Roadhouse and Moore was young and a new hot commodity which made them undeniably perfect together. Their roles fit them perfectly. Whoopie Goldberg was hilarious and believable as Oda Mae and her character was such an integral part of the film. Tony Goldwyn plays a great villain as the betrayer of the film. In a short time director Jerry Zucker establishes a best friendship between Goldwyn and Swayze, a deeply loving relationship between Swayze and Moore, and a plot line that goes far beneath the movie. Obviously Goldwyn's character is being used by a much higher up criminal to launder money although we never see him. Is he being blackmailed? Paid off? Something held over his head? Maybe he's not the bad guy but rather forced to commit these acts? It's a big job because we also know Willie Lopez played by Rick Aviles is involved in this as well. And deeper than that we have the theology in the film. The light brings good people to the afterlife and the dark shadowy beings torture the evil.

This film is one of a few that is endlessly watchable meaning you can sit down any time and watch it through over and over and over again which is exactly what makes it a classic. It has it's holes, it has to with a plot like that. And it has it's disturbing moments, a gratituous death scene, a make out scene which although features Swayze and Moore is actually Demi and Whoopi...you have to see it to understand it. Also if Sam Wheat must learn how to physically touch things in his ghost form...how does he sit, walk, etc before he learns that? And his first experience with walking through a door happens days after his death. I'm sure sometime between then and that point he would have had to have walked through something. Perhaps those are minor points but they are things that will come up especially if you have seen it as many times as I have.

The film is a must see and if you haven't seen it, go watch it right now!! Because it's one of those staples of films that everyone must know about. Ghost is amazing!! 9/10

Happy Anniversary to my beautiful Sam...we watched Ghost together last night.

When You're DEAD, It's ALL OVER; but When You're LOVED, It's FOREVER !

Author: Cihan Sean Victorydawn Vercan (CihanVercan) from Ottawa, Canada
25 September 2008

The imaginative but well-conceived idea of dishing up a romance upon lovers communicating spiritually owing to one of them is dead, was first filmed by Steven Spielberg 8 months before the Ghost's silver screen release. Spielberg's movie Always(1989) had classy use of visuals fulfilling the needs of viewers with mystery-based expectations. Yet, Always lacked the sense of essential romance concept, despite having the same plot and even the same storyline in Ghost. Originally the idea has been created by Chandler Sprague and David Boehm.

However, Ghost accomplished of what "Always" tried and failed to accomplish. Thanks to the great acting trio of Patrick Swayze + Demi Moore + Whoopi Goldberg, for together they registered indelible moments into Ghost. It is scraped in our memory how in time Molly and Sam happen to keep their thoughts off each others' feelings, and that taught us: "Love begins with emotions, ends with thoughts". On this account they never called off their faith on believing that they will keep an enduring love affair. These indelible scenes in Ghost are conceptually cut where the editing was so impressive that instead of trying to make the story more plausible, it empowered the devotion of lovers onto their relation. The scene which Sam's ghost drew upon Oda Mae's body to break the longing with Molly by kissing her is an imperishable cinematic instant.

I was in love with someone, and it was February,2005; we were both watching the Ghost on TV, both talking on the phone. Then that scene came upon(Sam's ghost kissing Molly in Oda Mae's body), I felt lost deep in my heart seeking the girl I'm talking on the phone. I heard she was crying and sobbing, and keep saying to me: "I will never forget the first time you kissed me and I don't need to be alive to recall this" Ghost is one timeless romantic masterpiece that had its moments. For me the kissing scene was the best kiss in movies of all time. MTV had honoured this kiss as well, several years after the release of the movie, as the best kiss in '90s. Superimposing that, the scenes where Oda Mae Brown convinces Molly that Sam's ghost is around her and then Molly reasons with police that Oda Mae knows what nobody is able to know but Sam and herself only, are the scenes that deliver the magic beyond eyes and beyond ears.

To watch Ghost is in the to do list of what to do when you're on a date.

It has a lot more subtext than its naysayers will tell you...

Author: moonspinner55 from las vegas, nv
29 June 2003

It may be easy to write this fantasy/love story off as a bloated box-office winner with a heart of F/X, however the performances are so winning, and the Oscar-winning script so satisfying, I can't believe it doesn't rate higher with viewers. Murdered businessman (Patrick Swayze, not a good actor but doing OK here) sets out in ghostly form to bring his killers to justice--and to watch out over his lovely girlfriend (Demi Moore, hitting all the right notes of a grieving lover). Whoopi Goldberg won a Supporting Oscar as a fake medium and Tony Goldwyn is uncanny as a slimeball ex-friend (his sniveling is so convincing it may have cost him real-life celebrity). Extremely well-directed by Jerry Zucker--in anybody else's hands, this might have turned to mush. ***1/2 from ****

Excellent

Author: fuzzyfeller from USA
27 January 2004

I cant believe all the people who are slamming this movie for bad acting or miscasting. Its a wonderful movie and demi moore and patrick swayze do great.Whoopi gives her oscar winning performance in force as a psychic who helps the ghostly swayze avenge his murder.I couldnt believe the user who commented that they wish they could go back in time and recast with nicole kidman and jason patric as the leads -WRONG . now that would be moronic recasting esp jason patric ? who the hell is he? some beverly hills 90210 punk and nicole kidman would not pass for the sweatshirt type woman period. great movie ignore the naysayers

Excellent romance about true love that lasts eternally

Author: Grace Zeh (filmgirlgz@gmail.com) from Chantilly, Virginia, USA
25 November 2005

GHOST, in my opinion, is an excellent romance about true love that lasts eternally. When Sam (Patrick Swayze) got mugged, I got really scared. You'll have to see the movie if you want to know why. If you ask me, Maurice Jarre's score is absolutely beautiful. To me, Carl (Tony Goldwyn) was a very creepy guy. Also, Willie (Rick Aviles) was just as scary as he was. I was amazed at the way Sam could step through anything in his ghostly state. All in all, everyone involved in this film did an outstanding job. In conclusion, if you like Patrick Swayze or Demi Moore, this is definitely a movie to see. You will really be touched by it.

Beautiful, touching and moving... a tale of a love so strong it defies death itself

Author: Grann-Bach (Grann-Bach@jubii.dk) from Denmark
13 May 2006

I must say this film surprised me. Coming in, I knew nothing about it but the famous clay-forming scene... I didn't know I was in for such a strong experience. This film had me from the first few moments of it. I never lost interest. The plot is so interesting and intriguing, you can't help but watch, often at the very edge of your seat. I will say that I found one twist somewhat predictable, but maybe I've just seen too many later movies before watching this. There is a lot of suspense in this film. When I found that it was directed by a Zucker(yup... Airplane and so forth), I was somewhat doubtful as to any other quality in the film than the humor of it... if you're reading this and you're thinking the same, trust me; he pulls it off. Excellently. There are few, if any, flaws in directing. The writing is solid. At times, there seemed to be a little too much humor and some scenes were maybe a tad long, but apart from that, there was not really anything with this film that was flawed. The score is great. The pacing is incredibly good. The acting is really good all-round. Goldberg provides a lot of comic relief, without being obnoxious. Moore and Swayze have magnificent chemistry, you truly believe them as a couple. The special effects are grand, yet they don't take over the movie. This is driven by the emotions, by how the plot affects these characters. I was completely into this movie all the way. The humor is very good and surprisingly tasteful for the theme. Much of it is derived from the situation of Swayze's character and his interaction with environment and other characters. All in all, just a very impressive film. I recommend this to any fan of drama, romance, comedy, thriller or fantasy, as well as anyone interested in seeing a non-parody Zucker film and fans of the actors. 7/10

Ghost...........Classic!

Author: cwei-1
22 March 2006

After so many years, every time when I see this movie again, it always makes my eyes water! This is basically a simple story. However, the script writer by Bruce Joel Rubin and the director by Jerry Zucker are intelligent. They made the simple story a touching, interesting one. I think most people cried at the end of the movie. This reminded me another commercial successful movie "Titanic" in the year 1997. The music (composed by Maurice Jarre) was so moving. Patrick Swayze and Demi Moore played well, not to mention Whoopi Goldberg. Her performance was amazing!(she also had excellent acting in Spielberg's early masterpiece "The Color Purple") The visual effects by ILM was extraordinary in that time. By and large, this touching movie is not only a huge commercial success, but also a classic!

This is a good film

Author: mm-39 from Winnipeg
17 August 2001

My wife loves this film, and I found it more then a romance movie. A intriguing story, of deception, death, the after life, and greed. This is a great film, with character you care about, suspense, romance, and a fresh script. This film made Patricks carrier, and after this film he chose a few films that killed his chances of acting in higher budget films. I believe if he picked a couple more scripts like this one he would be on the same level as Tom Cruse. I think the politically correct 90's found him too macho for their tastes, and it drove him to do that film about India which helped kill his carrier. In the end this film is a little about what Patrick could have been, a true international star.

A Zucker for Love Sories

Author: marcosaguado from Los Angeles, USA
27 May 2005

In 1970 we had "Love Story" remember? Ryan O'Neal and Ali McGraw crying and loving all the way to the bank? 1990 gave us "Ghost" love beyond death and corporate shenanigans. I saw it last night for the first time and surprise, surprise, 15 years later I do understand why people all over the world flocked to see, to devour this soufflé, again and again. Bruce Joel Rubin won an Academy Award for the screenplay, I remember Jodie Foster handing him the statuette with a smile worthy of a British diplomat. But in fact, the screenplay should have propelled the Academy to create a separate category alongside Best Original Screenplay and Best Adapted Screenplay. Yes, Smart Ass Screenplay of the year or Most Commercial Screenplay. Jerry Zucker does a masterful job allowing Rubin's stroke of genius to unfold without major interference. Demi Moore is scrumptious and what Maurice Jarre does with her tears deserves an award of its own. Patrick Swayze suffers with a certain amount of dignity, his anger is very virile but his expressions of longing are pure Lana Turner. What makes the whole calculated enterprise worth every bit of its hype is Whoopi Goldberg. She brings the tale where it really belongs. A comedy. A ghostly comedy about enduring love.

Page 1 of 25:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]