IMDb > Follow Your Heart (1990) (TV) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Follow Your Heart (TV) More at IMDbPro »

Good drama set in beautiful mountain country

Author: helpless_dancer from Broken Bow, Oklahoma
14 February 2002

When a man fresh out of the Marines breaks his jeep down while traveling through a small town he winds up staying at a widow's ranch. While waiting impatiently for his ride to be repaired he comes into contact with many of the locals and thinks less and less about eventually moving on. Very entertaining.

Nice film,but very inconsistent.

Author: Markesbluud from Texas U.S.A.
20 May 2004

Spoiler Alert I saw this made-for-t.v. film last week so it is still fresh in my mind.The film description read something to the effect of a young man trying to "find" himself.As the film starts it seem as though the movie is going according to the it's own description when his car breaks down and decided stay in town until his car gets repaired(automatically we all know he not just passing through)as we see many cliché like characters early in the film.The film leaves too many "open stories" that the lively characters of the film our "hero" comes into contact with.You wish the film would delve more into the characters,as they all seem to have their own stories.Here is a list of the characters that I felt the film left open to no further explanation: 1)The ex-vet who hires Patrick(the main character) 2)The gal who services truckers

3)The father(who by the way has sex with the gal that services truckers)4)the son of the cowboy father(3)

5)the mechanic who takes Patrick into town

6)the gritty old white rustic woman and her slow son

7)the Asian girl that Patrick takes under his wing

8)the family of the abandoned Asian girl 9)the abductor of the small Asian girl(who looks like a caricature of an Old West bad guy 10)the guy who wanted to go and tell the police that they killed the abductor(9)

11)Katy(who,I assume,was the hero/Patrick's love interest,but the film never really went in too much into that) Believe it or not these are just the ones I can remember from memory!I don't know if the makers of the film were too careless that they left so many inconsistent character deadends or just didn't know what to do with them all.It seems as though you could make a made-for-TV film for each of the characters on the list above(LOL).I didn't really get the sense that Patrick was trying to find himself as though he was going on a journey of self exploration,but a level headed guy who found himself in a small town and a new family member(the Asian girl).On an ending note it seems as though our main character(Patrick)wasn't so heroic because when the guy who wanted notify the police of the abductor's murder(because he did want this on his conscience,even though he wasn't the trigger man,the slow son of the old gritty woman was your man)Patrick objected,and said that it he did not want to go through with notifying the police.This guy should have been the main character.When the police arrive they asked Patrick,the gritty old bat,and her slow son if they knew anything about the abductor's death or if they were present at his killing they denied.Here is another inconsistency,because you never see the police again,as if to say they gave up the investigation"just like that".The moral decision of doing what's right against lying to the authorities of law makes me question the undeniable Pragmatist overtones of the film.Shouldn't Patrick tell the truth and comply with the authorities.In the end it could have worked out well because they never really committed any crime because before the gritty woman's slow son shot the abductor(a.k.a.Old West bad guy)he tried to reach for his pistol while the slow witted guy tried to help him off his horse,so in reality the slow witted guy committed NO crime.The film ends with Patrick and the old woman standing against a fence and then waving at Patrick's foster daughter and the old gritty woman's son on their horses.Then the credits roll.