IMDb > Flashback (1990) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Flashback

Flashback More at IMDbPro »

"You know what your problem is? You like me but you won't admit it."

Author: mr_doright11 from Gresham, Oregon
10 August 2001

This was a great movie. Dennis Hopper brought to life Huey Walker, an outdated hippy who came out of hiding from the feds for over twenty years. Kiefer Sutherland also did a great job as the strict, stick up the rear fed John Buckner, but has a buried secret of from his past.

This is a very funny movie, but at the same time keeps a solid plot, making this a very enjoyable movie. This is the first movie that Hopper has both played a hippy that isn't stoned on and off the screen. I really liked this movie. It's not for everyone, but for those of us who don't mind a comedy with dirty cops, foul mouthed aging hippies, a surly fed with a secret, and a whole lot of plot twists, than this is the movie for you. Also, Carol Kane was hilarious as Buckner's aunt. 10/10

Peace, love, understanding and Humor!

Author: (ophelia_1969@hotmail.com) from NY
12 October 2000

Huey Walker(Hopper) is an hysterical character to watch in this film as a hippie who is very Abby Hoffman like. He is arrested by John Buckner (Sutherland), a tight-assed, republican, FBI agent. What is supposed to be a simple task of transporting a prisoner turns out a harder job than expected for Buckner. As they make their way from San Francisco to Spokane, they encounter many obstacles. From a kind hearted prostitute to a crooked sheriff to a Haight Ashbury leftover played brilliantly by the ever wonderful Carol Kane (Scrooged, Taxi). Watching Walker and Buckner try to out smart each other is fuuny as hell, and chemistry between Sutherland and Hopper is great. You see the geninue friendship between them. The funniest scene, of which there are many, is when Walker is down on his knees, covering his face in mud. Buckner instucts him to then put one hand in the air and one on his heart and sing "Mammy". The humor however is nothing more than a vehicle for the true meaning of this film : You Can't Change Who You Are or Where You Come From. That message is perhaps best expressed in the lines:

Buckner:So you're a phony? Walker:Yeah so? Buckner:Just like me.

I give this movie my highest rating: 10 stars!

* * * * * * * * * *

Second that emotion

Author: Mark Brasler (minofed@hotmail.com) from Falls Church, VA USA
14 November 2000

Second that emotion

`Flashback' is not a great film. It has a good plot with some nice twists along the way, and top-notch performances by Dennis Hopper, Kiefer Sutherland (perhaps his best work yet), Carol Kane, Paul Dooley, Richard Masur and Michael McKean. But there is too much violence and profanity for this type of film, and the ending seems unbelievable and wrong.

What makes me recommend "Flashback" is that it did something that only one other film has done for me. It took me back in time emotionally. `American Graffiti" made me feel like I felt when I was in high school in the early 1960s, cruising the local drive-in restaurant with friends and trying to navigate unfamiliar romantic waters.

There is a scene in `Flashback' when the Masur and McKean characters are listening to a tape of a speech delivered 20 years earlier by Hopper. At that moment I was transformed back to the late 1960s, a recent college grad trying to find my way in a confusing and rapidly-changing culture. It was a chilling moment for me, one I don't know if I'll ever feel again. And I'm grateful to Director Franco Amurri and the actors for giving it to me.

Author: w_vai from New Cumberland, Pa
20 August 2003

Great movie! Lots of good one-liners, reference to old movies, quotables, etc... Good performance by Dennis Hopper as a "Prankster" Hippy and also by Kiefer Sutherland as an FBI Agent in denial. Carol Kane as the communal Flowerchild is a treat as well.

As with most older Dennis Hopper films, he plays the aging Hippy like noone else can. Makes you feel bad that poor old Huey himself didn't make it to Woodstock. ;)

Quote (by Hopper's character Huey Walker): "Did you know that all condoms have a serial number on 'em? No? Then YOU must not have had to ever roll one down FAR enough!"

Classic.... :)

This is an adorable movie.

Author: karenskids2003 from United States
5 November 2005

I loved this movie. I am already a Kiefer Sutherland fan thanks to 24, so when I read that Dennis Hopper was in this movie too, I had to have it. Kiefer is adorable in this movie. His scenes with Dennis are fabulous. It is such a sweet movie. Funny and touching. I loved the way the movie made me feel. I was very young in the 60s, but it still gave me a feeling of visiting my childhood. It was great seeing Kiefer and Dennis together. If you like Kiefer, you will love this movie. I must mention the music. Just a great bunch of songs from the era. If you grew up in the 60s, or you just want to feel like you did, watch this movie.

A Fun Period Or The Beginning Of The End?

Author: ccthemovieman-1 from United States
14 March 2007

For the most part, this is an enjoyable "flashback" for most folks, a look back at the wild and crazy late 1960s. I would have enjoyed it more without all the blasphemous exclamations out of Keifer Sutherland's mouth.

For those who loved the '60s and its hippie-far Left political and cultural stances, this will be a nostalgic remembrance of those days. For those who think that period was the beginning of the end, morally and culturally for the U.S., this film will demonstrate that, too.

Regardless of where one is politically, the film moves very fast, is very entertaining, and has almost no credibility. In parts, it's just embarrassing it is so ludicrous.

Dennis Hopper is very believable as the ex-"hippie" and Carol Kane is a hoot as the "flower child." The rest of the cast, led by Sutherland, is nothing but irritating.

Also, the soundtrack of '60s songs is excellent.

An UNBORING Flahback

Author: stoneyburke from United States
1 October 2006

This movie is never boring. Wonderful soundtrack and the actors, ALL, were PERFECT in their role. I have read reviews of this film and the reviews were less than kind. OK, it's not Citizen Kane but it's not trying to be the greatest film in the world. Story isn't complicated... A Fed (Kiefer Sutherland) is bringing in an UNDERGROUND '60's political fugitive (Dennis Hopper.) The sidetracks are entertaining and this may seem silly BUT the story is somewhat plausible...maybe not in the real world but certainly in the REEL world. Bottom line... don't judge it just sit back and enjoy the music and the VERY adept acting....it's a fun fantastic trip.

Deep

Author: Matthew Friend (mat7h3w@gmail.com) from United States
3 December 2005

This is one of my favorite movies. It has all the makings of a great comedy, but it also has several deep meaningful moments that can really move a person watching it. This movie is one that can make you laugh and make you cry. It truly is one of the underrated movies out there. I'd highly recommend anyone watching this film. Dennis Hopper plays his role with near perfection, and it almost seems like he fit the part a little too well. The supporting cast does a great job as well, and overall I'd say the acting, while not Oscar worthy, is well done. This movie is no grand epic, but does carry a lot of depth and meaning for those perceptive enough to pick up on the subtle parts. Both of the lead actors play off of each other very well in their respective roles in the film. I greatly enjoyed this film and I think anyone can get something out of watching it.

A great film

Author: (kaisermikeb@hotmail.com) from Cincinnati Ohio
1 March 2003

This is one of those all around great films that anyone can enjoy. When I was young I thought it was really funny. Now I get all the deeper messages and plot details, and like the movie all the more for it. This is also one of the two movies that can make me cry. The other is Grave of the Fireflies. The other aspects of the film, besides plot, are great too. The characters play off each other really well. The filming is good, and the comedy doesn't compromise the more serious nature of the film.

feel good

Author: kiefer-11 (bassethounds@talk21.com) from kent, england
8 July 2001

I have seen this movie a few times now and it has nothing to do with my attraction to Kiefer Sutherland (well maybe a little to start with!) The plotline is that Agent John Buckner a straight laced F.B.I agent has to get Huey Walker (Dennis Hopper) a hippie from the 60's who has been on the run for twenty years from San Francisco to Spokane, with disastrous Consequences. Sometimes funny, sometimes sad, this film is about self discovery. With plot twists around every corner it makes for compulsive viewing for all ages, and leaves you with a good feeling at heart. If like me you are not a child of the sixties it makes you wish you had a time travel machine, if you were then you'll be dusting those flairs off! A classic old fashioned feel good movie.