IMDb > Armour of God 2: Operation Condor (1991) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Fei ying gai wak

Armour of God 2: Operation Condor More at IMDbPro »Fei ying gai wak (original title)

Page 5 of 6: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [Next]

Too much of a good thing

Author: George Parker from Orange County, CA USA
9 June 2003

"Operation Condor" is an action comedy with Chan (who else?) in the spotlight leading three babes to Nazi gold buried in the Sahara with a small army of bad guys on his tail. A very busy flick which is chock full of the early and less sophisticated slap-happy Chan action, this flick is a benchmark in Chan's career; a sort of break-through flick for Chan in the international big-budget a al Hollywood film market. The flick features quantity over quality with nonstop blatantly silly comedy and countless contraptions and contrivances in a kind of "Indiana Jones tomb raider" desert milieu. Not for the jaded, "Operation Condor" is a must see for Chan fans and okay stuff for others into the Chan brand of action/adventure comedy. (B-)

Indiana Jones Spoof?

Author: DON SERIBUTRA (H5O) from Houston, Texas
12 December 1999

This was the first Jackie Chan flick that I have seen, not counting the bit parts in the Burt Reynolds Cannonball Runs I and II, where Chan was a race car driver.

The entire film is a modern-day spoof of Raiders of the Lost Ark, beginning with a mission to an Amazon, and a plot involving Nazi treasure. One thing that I noticed was that the scene in a warehouse (where Chan is being pursued by hoodlums in Fiat sedans) had empty boxes. All of the boxes that were tossed around were empty, which was a shipment of bananas from South America, but the empty boxes made this particular scene too silly, like a Roger Moore 007 flick. Maybe the boxes were empty, because of the possibility of having a stunt double injured on the set.

Lots of laughs and Roger Moore-esque jive, but worth watching. Chan is no Harrison Ford, when it comes to Nazi treasure hidden in the Sahara.

Operation Kick Ass.

Author: Python Hyena from Canada
6 May 2015

Operation Condor (1991): Dir: Jackie Chan / Cast: Jackie Chan, Carol Cheng, Eva Cobo De Garcia, Shoko Ikeda, Daniel Mintz: Two hours of stunts with little plot to be seen. It involves a hidden base that Jackie Chan is sent in search for gold. Equipped with a pass-way key he ventures to the desert accompanied by three women who cannot act. Predictable and dense with a screenplay where the heights of excitement is Chan kicking someone's face in. Chan is no better directing than he is acting. He is terrific at the stunts, which seem to be the point anyway. He has a likable sense of humour and an impressive physical disposition but the stunts are the norm. He seems to be in combat in nearly every scene but then again, people do not go into a Chan flick expecting dramatic payoff. Nonetheless the plot should be intriguing enough to be worthy the price of admission. The photography and production seem to be the only element that can cut in. He is joined by Carol Cheng, Eva Cobo De Garcia and Skoko Ikeda and they are an embarrassment. These three women give good indication as to why the divorce rate is so high. They overact to the max in every miserable scene we have to process. The purpose seems to be the stunts and how far Chan can slam his foot up someone's ass. It is an exercise in bad acting and three annoying women who should never be caught on film again. Score: 1 / 10

OK Chan but far from his best work

Author: bob the moo from United Kingdom
29 June 2003

Special agent and adventurer Jackie Condor is enlisted to help find a fortune in gold hidden by the Germans near the end of the second world war. With his team and the granddaughter of the soldier who hid the gold, he travels out to the desert but finds that he is not the only one who is looking for the gold and comes up against several groups who will kill to find it.

I have seen this before and have never fully understood the Western titles for this film or `Longxiong hudi'. My understanding is that this film is a sort of sequel to `Longxiong hudi', yet in the dubbed versions, this film is called Operation Condor and `Longxiong hudi' is named as it's sequel (Operation Condor II – the Armour of Gods!). I still don't get it as one came several years before the other. Anyway, aside from being a pendant, that really doesn't make any difference to the film itself. The plot is a sort of Indiana Jones spin for Chan to work with and is pretty meaningless and hollow. If you tried to apply logic to this film it would disappear in front of your eyes, so don't. However suffice to say there is gold in the desert and Jackie must get it before two other groups do – everything else is just detail.

What covers this silly plot is a great run of comedy throughout. Chan's comedy is well known and it is used well here. The film itself is no great shakes and feels a little cheap and dated. The lighting is often too dark for the shot and the film doesn't feel very professional – but the comedy works well still. Although there is no one standout fight scene, all the action is good and enjoyable making use of objects in ordinary ways – it's hard to find fault with Chan, but he has set his own bar high meaning that stuff like this, which is good, often appears to be average for him.

Chan does lead the film well though, he is funny and does everything he was supposed to. The comedy is well handled by this female trio in support. Cobo is funny but quite wooden and not very attractive, but I did find Cheng and Ikeda to be a lot better and also quite sexy (Cheng especially). The bad guys are typical rent-a-thug types but the two Arabian types chasing the gold are quite good value comedy-wise.

Overall this is an enjoyable film but is not near Chan at his best. The fights are enjoyable but the film's saving grace is that the laughs runs right through the film like a stick of rock! One word of advice is to look out for the subtitled version rather than the horrible dubbed version I had to suffer. The voice actors are poor and sound like they are dubbing a cartoon – certainly Chan's `voice' doesn't suit him at all. It was still a good movie in this version but it did take me almost half the film just to get over how corny all the voices sounded.

One of the lesser Jackie Chan flicks.

Author: stickler
19 October 1998

This is a so-so movie from Jackie Chan, not on the level of "Rumble in the Bronx," or "First Strike." The script and dialogue are somewhat preposterous, and when Jackie isn't causing mayhem, the movie lags. Of course, any action movie with Jackie is much more comic and exciting than the other run-of-the-mill efforts being produced nowadays.

Not bad

Author: tiger86-2 from Bulgaria
3 March 2006

When I saw "Armour of God", I was disappointed. Why? Don't ask. Just see it. May be you will understand why. "Armour of God" fails as a Jackie Chan's movie. It fails as a kung fu movie. And it fails as an adventure movie. "Armour of God" is a pretty bad imitation of Indiana Jones movies. But "Operation Condor" is not bad. It is much better than the original. Why? First: There are much more and much better fight scenes. In "Armour of God" there were only two or three fights and they wee not very good. Second: there is much more adventure and more fun. The story is also better than the original, but it is not something special. But you don't need story in a Jackie Chan's movie, do you? You need fun and action. That is it.

Poor sequel to Armour Of God

Author: Jaroslav Penaz (gothic.child@seznam.cz) from Czech Republic
3 September 2005

Well, there were many positive reviews, on this. Some people even consider it one of the best Jackie movies ever. I must say I was really looking forward to this movie, but when I saw it I was quite disappointed. It's a sequel to the hit Armour Of God, so I expected quite a lot, because Armour Of God was perfect. The first cca 30 minutes are very entertaining, and I thought the rest of the movie will be great as well. Ahhh....was I wrong!! The main disaster are two women who join Jackie in his mission. Their acting is so terrible it's beyond belief and it's almost unbearable. They keep on screaming (they don't talk, they just scream and screaaaaaam) all the rest of the movie and it nearly caused me a headache. Some of the moments in this movie could have been really funny, but these two 'sirens' totally destroyed all of the comical scenes. The movie contains some fantastic stunts, beautiful scenery, but the fight scenes aren't as interesting as we are used to. Yeah, they are good, but they are edited with other scenes too much, so I didn't have that WOW feeling as I usually have in other Jackie Chan's movies. Overall this movie isn't bad, and if those two annoying "actresses" weren't present and some "wannabefunny" moments were cut, it could have been great.

Sloppy, cartoonish fluff with great stunts.

Author: gridoon
28 December 2003

Yet another extremely slapdash Jackie Chan film, redeemed only by his awesome stunts (watch the way he "climbs" over a gate) and some intricately choreographed fight scenes. Out of 4 stars, I would give this *** for the stunts and action and * (generously) for all the rest...rounding it off at **.

what a disappointment

Author: yossi forkush
5 October 1999

they fooled me to think this is a sequel to the groovy operation condore! sadly this one was not funny or stunning as the original... and the dubbing and screenplay are truly corny in a bad way

Not very flattering to women

Author: mezzb from Boston
11 February 1999

I didn't think this movie was so great. We take for granted a little something called the women's movement here in the US. It obviously didn't hit Hong Kong around when this movie came out. The cast is overflowing with useless, screaming, childlike women who serve only to get into trouble, scream or in the worst cases be assaulted. in the US we're used to seeing less violence against women (believe it or not!) than in some HK films. it kind of spoiled the fun in places.

When this stuff isn't happening the movie does shine as do most of these Jackie Chan stunt fests. There is some decent humor but much of it at the expense of all the demeaning women characters. Add the usual needlessly dangerous stuntwork and you may find something worthwhile.

This is 1950's material, folks. Instead, see Supercop with the incredible Michelle Yeoh (i think), who in this film is Chan's equal, not just an annoying distraction.

Page 5 of 6: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [Next]