IMDb > Fall from Grace (1990) (TV) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Fall from Grace (TV) More at IMDbPro »

"Fall From Grace" typical Hollywood hype

Author: Rick4404 from United States
19 December 2006

"Fall From Grace" only aired on NBC twice way back in 1990-91 sometime. Then the film was shelved, and as far as I know it hasn't re-aired anyplace else.

Kevin Spacey (playing Jim Bakker) and Bernadette Peters (playing the now-former Tammy Faye Bakker; who since remarried and became Tammy Faye Messner) both turned in stellar performances. Bernadette's singing left a lot to be desired, versus the real Tammy's fantastic singing voice.

However, this movie was typical "Hollywood hype" if you ask me. It really was not an accurate portrayal of either the Bakkers nor the Christian empire that was known as Heritage USA and the PTL Club.

It seemed that most of the movie was shot on a Hollywood sound stage. It would have helped to at least shoot some of the scenes on location there in South Carolina on the former Heritage USA property.

Tawdry, vulgar and inane movie that perfectly suits its subject.

Author: Jim Barker (jimthing@globalnet.co.uk) from Basingstoke, England
26 December 1999

This must be the nadir of Kevin Spacey's career. Who ever thought he'd be a good person to play TV evangelist, philanderer and chipmunk look-a-like, Jim Bakker?! The poor man does his best with cotton wool stuffed in his cheeks (hey! It worked for Brando!) and a toupee that could stop traffic. Bernadette Peters does an equally brave job of portraying bushbaby bimbo Tammy Faye Bakker, a woman who is truly without any merit or value. This is a very bad movie, but is never less than entertaining in that slow motion carcrash kind of way... God bless you Jessica Hahn for exposing these morons for what they are! It is you that is the instrument of the Lord!

Preacher gets a little on the side, gets caught, then hollers "I have sinned!"

Author: helpless_dancer from Broken Bow, Oklahoma
23 June 2002

"Judge not lest ye be judged". True, but this little twerp Bakker is guilty as sin. He thinks it is fine to cheat on his spouse but when he is caught it's "hey, it was just this one time and, hey, I'm real sorry Jesus". This whining, blubbering clown could have been a success had he stayed true to his calling instead of selling out to the Gods of power, sex, money, drugs and vanity. How could anybody be gullible enough to fall for the spiel of these 2 God hollering bozos? There was enough plastic in them to produce enough 4" schedule 40 pvc to totally re-pipe the state of Texas. These 2 losers deserved each other and the fate they suffered. Good flicker with the 2 leads being played to perfection; almost had me believing they were the genuine article. I'll never trust another televangelist....hell, I didn't anyway.