IMDb > Everybody Wins (1990) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Everybody Wins

Everybody Wins More at IMDbPro »

This Movie Is Drama/Mystery... Not Shoot 'em up bang, bang...

Author: largeGROUCH from Providence, RI, USA
18 May 2001

The Chemistry between Winger and Nolte is very dry. If you need a lot of blood, gun play and explosions then this movie is not for you. It unfolds in a tortured manner which I happen to enjoy. The people of this small town are not flashy or larger than life, They are ordinary and have settled into a predictable pattern. The importance of each character is presented to us in an unpredictable sequence which tends to keep the audience off balance and somewhat unsettled. Most of the interplay is understated- another feature which, in an era of grandiosity, is refreshing. If the viewer has the patience to allow the story to unfold the reward will be well worth the investment of time.

not that bad

Author: pro-andy from Helsingborg, Sweden
16 January 1999

Everybody I know say that this is a horrible movie.I can´t understand why.Good story,good acting by Nick Nolte and Debra Winger.OK it is not a masterpiece exactly but you can watch the whole movie and afterwards think about it for 1 hour or so.

worth a look

Author: DanielKing from London, England
29 October 2003

I can see why this film was not a success at the box-office. For a thriller, it is far too talky and at times the plot unfolds purely through scenes of conversational exposition. There are no chases, no shootouts, and only the briefest of sex scenes and courtroom sequences. The reason is because the film is concerned solely with character. Even the film's supposed theme, that of corruption infecting everybody (even down to O'Toole's teacher sister), is only half-heartedly dealt with. There has been speculation that the play upon which the screenplay is based was inspired by Arthur Miller's relationship with Marilyn Monroe and this is an interesting consideration. Angela is a frustrating character although not without charm. O'Toole certainly falls for her in a big way and I suspect that might be the reason this got termed a film noir. Sometimes you wonder just how much effort the critics put in. Yes, a cursory scan of the plot would reveal the elements of a noir: private investigator, mysterious seductress, murder, corruption - but watching the film it feels less like a noir and more like one of those small town dramas, like Gene Hackman made in the 1980s, such as TWICE IN A LIFETIME or FULL MOON IN BLUE WATER. And the gang of church-building bikers, led by cinema's favourite fruitcakes Patton and Wilhoite, seems to have wandered in from an entirely different movie. That said a script by Miller will undoubtedly give up some fantastic dialogue, which is definitely the case here. You can tell the guy's pedigree as even some of the throwaway lines are beautifully written.

It has something....

Author: gridoon
18 June 2005

In 1990, Nick Nolte made two films about large-scale corruption, in the police ("Q & A") and in public offices in general ("Everybody Wins"). One difference is that in the former he is the villain, in the latter he is the hero. Another difference is that in "Everybody Wins" the subject gets a decidedly uncommercial treatment. This movie has its own rhythm, its own personality, and you have to sink in to it. It's more of a subtle satire than the thriller suggested by the video cover / plot description / trailer. And it has a couple of great lines, too: "He's just a second-rate man in a position of power. It's the oldest story in the world!". At times the film is TOO slow and low-key, but I still recommend it to those seeking the offbeat. (**1/2)

It's a loss for all concerned...

Author: moonspinner55 from las vegas, nv
27 June 2014

Modern noir, written by Arthur Miller, drowns in pretensions while pretending to be a murder mystery; the only mystery is how this murky, congested screenplay attracted stars Nick Nolte and Debra Winger (both treading water). After a New England doctor is murdered and a young suspect is named, a schizophrenic local woman, who believes the boy is innocent, hires an investigator from out-of-town to ferret out the facts. Winger's performance is like a high-wire act: she's fruity, irrational, always teetering on total collapse. Perhaps with handling that was more restrictive and writing that had more focus, this unbalanced character might have generated audience empathy (or at least made some sense). As it is, she's the wobbly centerpiece of an already-shaky melodrama, one that eventually crumbles around the actors like a house of cards. NO STARS from ****

...except the audience

Author: Grann-Bach (Grann-Bach@jubii.dk) from Denmark
23 March 2008

No, I didn't really expect much of this. It was given to me by someone who went by what actors was in it, and who does(or did at the time) realize the talent of Nolte. I'm not sure I've heard anything about this, one way or the other. For any other Danes out there, in our tongue, this goes by a title that translates to Innocently Convicted. I tried to give this a chance, I really did. I watched, I paid attention, at least a lot of the way. This begins with an opening sequence that mainly brings to mind the word 'awkward'(and sadly, that's not the last time during the film), and we soon follow ol' Nick investigating a case... uh... sort of. Unfortunately, for both him and the audience(in fact, us in particular... he's a highly paid Hollow-, sorry, *Hollywood*, however did I mix those two up... anyway, actor, and the part he's playing is a fictional character, his pain ends the moment his likeness disappears from the television), every single person that he meets(not the ones he already knew) that has anything, at all, to do with the case is among the all-time weirdest people in the history of human beings. Editing and cinematography are undistinguished and more camera angles would have done wonders. Writing varies. Story-telling is standard. Little in this is effective. At the end of it, you're still not sure what really happened, or what was true and what not. I can basically accept that, if the film built a mood or did something otherwise worthwhile, anything at all, really, except to just create confusion(in the end never relieved) and curiosity as to what the answers are. At least it's not much longer than 90 minutes. I recommend this to mystery fans who are fine with not knowing... and who don't mind something essentially devoid of atmosphere. 5/10

Worst Movie I've Seen In Ages

Author: Mike Taddei (mtaddei1@rcn.com) from Ridley Park, PA
20 February 2003

I rented this movie with my wife via Digital Cable because the teaser sounded interesting and we honestly hadn't heard anything about it. After watching it, I understand why. This movie is pointless and stupid. I knew as soon as it opened that we were in trouble. The scene the opening credits and the music all look like the belong in three different films. I couldn't say enough bad things about this movie.

Read a book, watch TV...instead of watching this movie

Author: magicmtndan from United States
20 April 2005

Watch paint dry or grass grow - this movie's awful.

The opening scene sets the viewers' expectations that this might be a comedy. Leon Redbone's singing isn't for me but the selection of songs is at best a mystery - they don't fit in with the movie at all.

Debra Winger's character is just that. And Nick Nolte plays a supposedly reputable private investigator who doesn't investigate anything. He says he's in love with the wacky Winger character just after meeting her and that's just the beginning of what is one of the worst flicks I ever sat through.

Save yourself and your friends. Go contemplate your navel instead.

Not for "Everybody"

Author: Thomas Roberts from Groton, CT
17 April 2001

Oh, my goodness, this was quite possibly the worst movie I've ever seen. At the end of the film, I found myself asking what the point of the whole thing was, and yet I couldn't come up with an answer. This movie has almost NO plot. The fact that it was filmed in my hometown couldn't even save it. Not that Nolte nor Winger did a bad job, but I definitely would not recommend this film to anyone who may be on the edge of whether to watch it or not... You'll find yourself, at the end, saying "Whatever..."

Fails miserably

Author: helpless_dancer from Broken Bow, Oklahoma
18 February 2000

Absolutely, positively one of the most boring, hard to digest films I've ever seen. It flitted from one oddball scene to the next with no apparent motive or logic. Appeared to be a collection of bits and pieces thrown together.