IMDb > Ernest Goes to Jail (1990) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Ernest Goes to Jail

Ernest Goes to Jail More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 4:[1] [2] [3] [4] [Next]

Funny, Harmless, Silly, Stupid, Safe, etc.

Author: ccthemovieman-1 from United States
6 January 2007

This "Ernest film" is a typically silly, stupid-at-times one but still wholesome in its humor and sometimes very funny.

The best moments in here, at least the ones that made me laugh hardest, were in the bank with Jim Varney ("Ernest") and a runaway vacuum cleaner. Yes, there is a lot of juvenile humor in here, but the totally-innocent lightweight humor is fun.

Varney also does some imitations in here, and he's quite good at it. He's done this in several of his movies and it is always entertaining.

For those wondering about their young kids watching this, there is absolutely no offensive language in this movie, too. Now that's a rarity for a 1990 film.

Jim Varney's Best Ever!!!

Author: (teenwolf97@aol.com) from Tuscaloosa, AL
25 May 2000

Ernest Goes To Jail is the 3rd installment in the popular series, and in my humble opinion, the best. Jim Varney brings so much humor and character to the table in whatever he is in. So many jokes in the Ernest movies I did not get as a child, however, after viewing them as adults, I find them even more funny. Ernest was actually quoting Shakespeare and his arrogant soliloquies were classic. Varney shines in this movie:doing all the different voices, faces, and characters we have grown to love. What I really like about this film is his portrayal of Mr. Nash,the villain. Jim Varney does a complete 180 turn from his bumbling, idiotic Ernest P. Worrell. The look, the voice, and the attitude are very different from the other character, which is a what a good actor should do if playing 2 roles. Varney pulls them both off remarkably well. Also Chuck and Bobby provide great slapstick humor as always, and this film is a comedy classic that can be viewed by all ages. Jim Varney left this old world way too fast, but he also left us comic treasures in film such as this movie.

Jim Varney at his finest!!!

Author: dootuss from PA
4 October 2002

"Ernest Goes To Jail" is probably the BEST "Ernest" film ever made out of all of the films. Jim Varney once again gives us more laughs as he plays the idiotic Ernest P. Worrel. In the movie Ernest is assigned jury duty for a murder trial. Nash (who wants out of prison badly) the man who is on trial looks exactly like Ernest, and switches places with Ernest to escape from prison. So in the process, our rubber faced nit wit gets to spend some time in the slammer. Jim Varney once again does an excellent job as the bumbling fool Ernest P. Worrell as well as escaped criminal look a like Nash. I thought it was cool how Varney switched continuosly throughout the movie with the 2 characters. Overall this movie rules!!

Gotta love Varney

Author: bug76 from United States
25 March 2011

Some may say that people will get tired of Ernest. It's hard to believe. He's been gone for 11 years and there's still no sign of people forgetting Ernest. If people were tired of him much earlier on, why, I ask you, did Varney make 4,000 commercials? Yes, 4,000. I didn't add an extra 0 here. That's unheard of with any one else. Varney was the only one to reach cult status with 30 second ads. I don't even like commercials and I found his thoroughly entertaining. I loved them so much,I bought them on DVD. With that said, "Ernest Goes to Jail" is hilarious. And, we get to see him play bad-guy, Mr. Felix Nash-quite a difference from Ernest's goofball slap stick. Nash is far from Ernest, being organized, clever and mean. In this installment from the Ernest line, Varney shows off his God given rare talents. Looking in the mirror in jail, he tries to come off as Nash by using different voices and facial contortions. It never fails to make me laugh. The ink pen scene is classic. It's so funny watching him try to clean off the ink only to smear it worse all over his face. Plus, he gets electrocuted 4 times in this movie. "Hey,Vern! No one gets electrocuted like Varney, KnoWhutImean?" The beginning of the movie has Ernest trying to start the floor polisher only to have it take on a mind of its own by dragging Ernest all over the floor and up the wall. Ernest's screams are just adorable. Especially 4 minutes and 34 seconds into the movie. Any other jail movie would be loaded with violence and bad language and the fact is, I wouldn't care to watch them. This is probably the only jail movie that was free of vulgarity and was still a treat to watch. Varney made his Ernest movies kid friendly-for all ages to enjoy. C'mon, we all know that Ernest was Jim's true calling because mostly everyone refers to him as Ernest. And no one will ever be able to replace him. I know that Vern missed Ernest. He even left a note for Ernest at www.vernssuicidenote.blogspot.com. I've read it. It's quite humorous as well. When I first saw "Ernest Goes to Jail" at 14 when it first came out, I wanted a house like Ernest's, right down to that cool washer and dryer. The 'electric toothbrushes' would be pretty nice to have, too. Brush all your teeth at the same time in half the time. We all know that Jim paved the way for people like Jim Carrey and Larry the Cable Guy, but Varney kept it clean. Though, Jim Varney is still my number 1. Of course, with any Ernest movie, it will receive the highest rating possible.

The importance of being Ernest...

Author: Lee Eisenberg (lee.eisenberg.pdx@gmail.com) from Portland, Oregon, USA
29 May 2006

This time, the lovable dimwit gets summoned for jury duty, where a corrupt attorney notices that he looks like a jailbird who wants to break out, so the two get switched. Of course, most of the movie is a series of gags; in "Ernest Goes to Jail", most of the gags relate to electricity. I really liked the whole vacuum cleaner sequence early on. Overall, the point of the movie is just to have fun, and I'm sure that you will. This is possibly the ultimate movie that you watch with a bud. It's quite safe to say that Jim Varney will truly be missed. Knowwhaddamean? FYI: the only other cast member whom I recognized was Randall "Tex" Cobb, who played Lyle. You've surely seen him somewhere.

All Hail Varney!

Author: melloyellobiafra from United States
24 March 2006

If I had to decide which was the best Ernest movie, and don't act like that sort of thing doesn't happen all time, it would be this one.

All of the Ernest movies are entertaining, but the best ones are the ones that have Jim Varney doing a number of different characters. Additionally, I am known to enjoy the comedy stylings of Bill Byrge and Gailard Sartain as brothers Chuck and Bobby Tulip. "Ernest Goes to Jail" contains all of those elements as well as a funny script and a supporting cast that features several beloved character actors.

And that is why I have chosen "Ernest Goes to Jail" as the king of all Ernest movies. Disagree with me if you must, but deep down you know I am right.

The best of Jim Varney

Author: wgviper13 from St. Louis
19 September 2001

The last good Ernest movie, and the best at that. How can you not laugh at least once at this movie. The last line is a classic, as is Ernest's gangster impressions, his best moment on film. This has his best lines and is a crowning achievement among the brainless screwball comedies.

"Favorite Of The Ernest Films!"

Author: gwnightscream from United States
14 March 2015

Jim Varney, Gailard Sartain, Barbara Tyson and Randall 'Tex' Cobb star in this 1990 comedy sequel. the late, Varney returns as bumbling, nice guy, Ernest who works as a custodian at a Bank. Soon, he's assigned jury duty and finds himself in jail when switched with a dangerous, look-alike criminal, Nash (Also played by Varney). Ernest tries to act like Nash to avoid suspicion with help from felon, Lyle (Cobb) and eventually escapes after gaining an electromagnetic ability. He tries to stop Nash from robbing the Bank and taking over his life. Tyson plays Charlotte, a bank secretary who likes Ernest and Sartain plays Ernest's pal, Chuck who works as the bank's security guard. This is my favorite of the Ernest films and Varney was great in both roles. I recommend this.

Another Ernest great!

Author: CmHowell99 from San Diego, Ca
23 December 2002

As you probably know I commented on Ernest Goes to Camp back in November. Ernest is a custodian in a bank and to his boss Mr. Peddlesmith he is a screw up who can't get anything right. So his assistant Charlotte helps Ernest and tells him about being a clerk and what it takes. Ernest and his dog take a bath to get ready to go to dinner with Charlotte. Ernest gets called to jury duty but he won't be at jury duty for long soon his enemy Mr. Nash gets Ernest arrested. All the staff at the bank think Mr. Nash is Ernest. Mr. Nash wanted Charlotte as his girl toy. And Charlotte thinks he's gone whacko. But when thing the staff don't know is that Mr. Nash planned to rob the bank. Ernest gets zapped at jail but he escapes and burns the whole jailhouse down. Then the police find out who the real Mr. Nash is and tell him he'll never get away with what he did.

2nd best of the ernest series, great as a b-movie

Author: Edible Fetus (clemensfield@hotmail.com) from Nova Scotia, Canada
13 July 2002

**May contain Spoilers** Okay, I just finished watching Ernest goes to Jail. I had seen it before when i was a kid, so a lot of it came back to me as i was watching it tonight. Basically, it's an alright film. I wouldn't go as far as to recommend it, but i will way the pros and cons for you to decide. The movie is not really funny, it's humorous. Nothing you would laugh out loud at, except for maybe the infamous "Ink Pen" scene in the courtroom. Personally, I love Jim Varney, and I enjoy the Ernest character enough that i can sympathize out of a certain nostalgia. Varney is surprisingly convincing as the "Nash" character of a mean-streaked jail bird. But thats as far as i'll go with the critique`. Here are the main elements that make this film watchable and even enjoyable. Because of the recent death of Jim Varney, and the speculation i've heard that he was actually a pretty cool and very intelligent guy in real life, there is some sort of fascination you can have with him. If you watch this movie not as a comedy, but as a b-movie, it works pretty well, for the following reasons: 1. a small role for Charles Napier, of Russ Meyer fame. 2. the inclusion of "Tex" Cobb of various b-movie fame, also that killer performance in Raising Arizona. 3. Cobb has some sort of a reverse-afro-mullet going on. 4. Ernest shares the screen with his other self "Nash" and they ensue in an on screen fight, which is of course varney vs. varney, sort of like ash vs. evil ash. 5. Ernest's house is wildly eccentric. 6. Ernest gets electrocuted about 6 or 7 times 7. Prison guards that wear bright pink uniforms 8. And lastly, a bit of dark humor particularly in one scene in the last 20 mins of the movie where Ernest is taken to the electric chair to be executed. A guard asks Ernest if he would like a cigarette before he goes, and Ernest replys with something to the note of "No thank you, cigarettes will kill you." Now you may be wondering how that is funny, aside from the obvious paradox. Well here's why, Jim Varney died at the fairly young age of 50. He died from lung cancer. He was a heavy smoker. So cigarettes did kill Ernest. When I heard him riddle off that line about cigarettes killing you, it turned my stomach in a morbid way. So theres your dark humor.

Page 1 of 4:[1] [2] [3] [4] [Next]