IMDb > Edward Scissorhands (1990) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 1 of 56:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

A poignant miracle

Author: IlyaEck from Los Angeles, CA
18 September 2004

Many people say the cried at the end of this movie... Huh! Knowing the plot already, I (a grown up man) can barely hold my tears from the very beginning whenever I watch it. Much more than just a "cute and sad fairy tale", this movie is a true piece of art. This is one of those rarest cases when a bunch of talented and truly, but truly dedicated people set out to create something beautiful, some chemistry occurs and ... a miracle happens. Fortunately for all of us, this miracle immortalized on film.

Throughout the human history, the wisdom of generation was conveyed through fairy tales. This tale is no exception. This story, told in magic simplicity, actually has some deep philosophical meanings. While mercilessly debunking the true nature of human beings, this tragic story really tears your heart, and yet it fills it with hope. That is the true and, perhaps, the only purpose of art, if you ask me.

Why do we need music, painting, theatre, poetry? Is there a real excuse for their existence? To me, the only purpose, the only excuse is to help people go on, to give them hope. And it's well worth it!

To sum up, easily Tim Burton's best, this film is a masterpiece, my favorite American movie, and probably one of the best movies of all times. 10/10

If Tim Burton never did anything else, this film would be enough to call his life worthwhile

Author: Robert Reynolds (minniemato@hotmail.com) from Tucson AZ
31 October 2000

There is absolutely no way I can view this film in even a remotely objective manner, so I won't even try. Like eveything I've seen by Tim Burton, this film is at one and the same time, warm and frightening, tender and heart-wrenchingly evil, uplifting and dark. The good and bad in humanity are shown in stark relief quite clearly for everyone to see. But in the final analysis, the most important message the film has to offer is this: Love truly does make the world go 'round and redemption and just living to see another day is a kind of victory. There will always be bullies, just as there will always be kind souls who actively try to make things better (and who sometimes make things worse through their efforts). The most important thing is to be true to yourself, treat others as you wish to be treated and that if the bad guys win, we all lose-including the bad guys. Excellent cast, fine script and just overall a worthy effort not to be missed. One of Vincent Price's last performances, if not the last. I love this film! Most highly recommended.

A dark fairy tale about a man who only wanted to fit in

Author: Kristine (kristinedrama14@msn.com) from Chicago, Illinois
18 November 2003

I have watched Edward Scissorhands ever since I was a little girl, this movie has always held a very special place in my heart. I think because I could relate to Edward… no, I don't have scissors for hands, but what I mean is that this is a fairytale story, but this is a simple story of a man who just wants to fit into a society of "norms". This is completely Tim Burton's creation and story, he's a very criticized director, he's either loved or hated. Some consider his stories to be too dark and strange, but when you get inside his head, you realize this is a man who is pure genius. He thinks completely outside the box and doesn't just resort to what Hollywood wants, he knows his audience and doesn't insult their intelligence, he brings us a charming story about Edward Scissorhands.

An elderly woman tells a story to her granddaughter of a man with scissors for hands named Edward, the creation of an inventor. He raised Edward as his son and tutored him in various subjects, but died while in the act of offering a pair of hands to Edward. Many years later, local Avon saleswoman Peg Boggs, after failing to make profits in her suburban neighborhood, visits a Gothic mansion on a hill. There, she finds Edward, and convinces him to have her take him in. Edward befriends Peg's young son, Kevin and her teenage daughter Kim. Peg's neighbors become curious and thrilled at Edward's masterful skills at hedge clipping and haircutting. However Kim's jock boyfriend Jim dislikes Edward immediately. Edward's innocence becomes an easy target for everyone to take advantage of him as often as they can. Wither it's destroying his reputation or putting him in danger, Edward was never prepared for this harsh world when he was given the kindest heart.

From the acting, Johnny Depp's first real leading role in a movie, he's so young and so incredibly talented. He plays Edward with perfect sympathy not over or under acting it, to be honest I'm a little surprised he wasn't nominated for an Oscar, but it's such a bizarre role, I think it was very over looked. He makes Edward into a charming beautiful character that you fall in love with. Dianne Wiest, one of my favorite actress as the Avon lady, Peg, who takes Edward home with her, the reason I love her so much is she brings so much class into whatever role she is playing. She seems like the most lovely woman you could meet and makes Peg into a delightful woman who just wanted to help this man and didn't realize the world she brought him into. Winona Ryder, who was dating Depp at the time, had great chemistry and was absolutely beautiful. To the sets, which this world was just bizarre and stands out against so many other movies, like a strange Leave it to Beaver nightmare, all the houses in the suburbia are different pastel colors to this one hill with a dark castle. To the outstanding make up effects, can only imagine the pain it took to get in and out of that costume for Edward. Edward Scissorhands is truly a masterpiece and in my opinion will always remain a treasured classic, because all in all this is one of the most beautiful movies of all time.

Beautiful employment of color, sympathy and human nature

Author: Monica4937 from Florida
8 February 2004

Tim Burton should have won an academy award for this film. It is truelly a masterpiece. Never have I felt more sympathetic for a character before in my life. Edward Scissorhands...a creation...an unfinished product made by an inventor, his father. When his "father" dies he is left alone in the mansion to fend for himself and discover things on his own without any guidance. Next an avon lady comes in and detaches him from his isolation and throws him into a society where everything is pastel, everything is precise and everyone is stiff. Edward Scissorhands gets thrown into a world comPLETELY unlike the one he was used to. Now he is the outsider.

Johnny Depp should have also won an Academy Award for his performance in this film. Although he had very few lines in this film, less than 100, his facial expressions and actions spoke loudly. Every detail he gave his character was so perfect and precise. When Edward examines the water bed, and takes his first sip of (what I'm guessing is) scotch, or in the beginning when he takes his first ride ever in a car into town. Just the look on his face when he finally gets to see what the outside world looks like was pure genius.

I hold this movie very deeply to my heart. In my opinion it encompasses every human emotion and nature. When Edward first arrives the locals accepted him and he became a famed hair/bush stylist. In the end they turn on him and see him for what he looks like, a monster. My rating for this film: 10/10

A Story Told In Beautiful Simplicity

Author: Dark Eye from New York, United States
7 December 1999

Edward Scissorhands is really an amazing movie. The plethora of lush cinematography, beautiful musical score, and great characters are extremely entertaining. The storyline is simple yet very moving. I still get misty-eyed at the end, even though I watched it many times already. The musical scores by the amazing Danny Elfman in Edward Scissorhands are one of his best work. It is achingly beautiful. Everytime Tim Burton and Danny Elfman worked together in a movie, magic happens. Burton's gothic style and Elfman's halloween-like scores always blends perfectly.

The story surrounds an unfinished creation named Edward, played brilliantly by Johnny Depp. The talented actor managed to make Edward a simple being that radiates vulnerability as well as restrained passion suggesting the real, imperfect humanity within. Edward's intimidating scissorhands and strange black & white physical appearance looked out of place amongst the pastel-colored suburban surroundings. He is unique; we both laugh and sympathize when we see Edward having a hard time trying to eat a single green pea with his scissorhands, but then we become slack-jawed to see that his expression of artistry in sculpting are effortless, masterful, imaginative, and passionate.

The movie ends rather sadly, yet beautifully at the same time. The tragic incident at the end over Jim (Anthony Michael Hall) is a single act of both unvented frustrations over the injustices done by Jim, as well as to protect Kim Boggs (Winona Ryder), the love of his life. This shows that although uncompleted, the fearsome scissorhands merely masks our eyes to his feelings, conflicts, and the imperfections of that of a real human being. His body is not completed, but his heart is.

Burton's Best -- and Most Emotionally Touching.

Author: MovieAddict2014 from UK
21 October 2004

Tim Burton is a brilliant visual director but with Edward Scissorhands he managed to combine these talents with pure, classic storytelling – Scissorhands is his best overall film, abandoning the slight characterizations and special effects-driven spectacle of the (albeit hugely enjoyable) Batman and serving up a convincingly detailed left-of-center fairytale romance.

The story is fairly basic, being the standard Frankenstein-esque tale of alienation and the empowerment of love. Edward (Johnny Depp) is a lonely man with scissors for hands, crafted by an eccentric inventor (magnificently played by Vincent Price in flashbacks) prior to his death. After Edward witnesses the death of his creator he stays locked away inside his mansion all day, which is located atop the otherwise cheerfully picture-perfect local neighborhood community.

Then one day a nosy neighbor decides to investigate, and ends up bringing Edward to reality. He falls in love with a local girl (Winona Ryder), and is witness first-hand to the joys of life, until accidentally injuring a young boy and becoming the enemy of the overzealous town. Soon everyone is out to get him for no good reason – the climax is beautifully done and, because Burton has allowed his characters to expand so much, it's also very touching.

The movie is decidedly odd but in a good way – the only problem is that it is occasionally quite thin when it comes to actual depth. Burton's never been as good at telling believable stories as he has mythical, exciting fables (see Sleepy Hollow for a similar example). Even Burton's Big Fish – arguably his most story-oriented film of his career – was somewhat shady. The mix of screwball dark comedy, horror, drama, romance and elements and familiar happenings of other genres results in a very different combination. You can literally "feel" the vibe of this picture, its heart pulsing black blood.

The movie was a childhood project of Burton, who drew sketches of Edward as a boy and used to alienate himself from his hostile surroundings by taking refuge in fictional stories involving the scissor-handed hero. As a result Burton's true affinity for the subject is evident – it's clear that he takes this entire project very seriously.

The acting is marvelous – Depp's performance is one of his finest and, arguably, one of the most convincing and fun of all-time. Depp has formed a Scorsese/De Niro-like companionship with Burton over the years, teaming up for various pictures (including Sleepy Hollow and the upcoming Charlie and the Chocolate Factory). He's always had fun relishing his over-the-top and absurdly dark roles, such as Ichabod Crane in particular. In Scissorhands he gives the equivalent of a Travis Bickle – a man who feels shunned by society, only to open his heart and have it feel crushed again. This is possibly one of the reasons the film is able to affect its audience so well to this very day. The tale does not grow old because the values are timeless.

Edward Scissorhands, despite its occasional flaws, finally gave Burton the chance to unleash his talents as a visual filmmaker along with a pretty solid story mold – the result being a sublimely dark rom-com-drama that never conforms to the typical genre clichés and becomes quite a unique film in its own little world.

4.5/5

As good as any movie ever made

Author: joeestlinbm from United States
18 February 2005

This movie impressed me to such an extent, that I had trouble sleeping for the first few nights after I saw it, not because he scared me. I just kept thinking about this guy who had scissors for hands, and was so unfamiliar with the world,

He had a wonderful talent for making things with his unique hands, but he was still confused about the way the world worked.

He finally wound up back where he began, which in a macabre sort of way was where he belonged, because his background just wouldn't let him fit into a so called normal world.

The ending was very sad. I'm a relative old man, and it made me cry. Watch it!! It's probably the best movie you'll ever see.

the rise and fall of Edward Scissorhands and the inhabitants of a small town

Author: dbdumonteil
1 February 2003

You could have thought that Tim Burton would rest on his laurels, following "Batman"'s huge commercial success. Well, not at all. "Edward Scissorhands" appears like a more serious, more mature and even touching movie. This modern fairy tale links skilfully elements from the basic fairy tale (the castle) and elements from the social life (Peg's job as representative for a cosmetics firm) and it can be divided into two parts: the first one that epitomizes Edward's rise: thanks to his scissorhands that give him gifts as a hairdresser and a gardener, he becomes the idol of the town. The second one that shows Edward's fall, following a burglary in which he was inconveniently involved in, he becomes the town's bête noire (and the movie becomes painful) Tim Burton tells this modern fairy tale by introducing a lot of poetry, and during his movie, he tries to create an aesthetic beauty and he succeeds in, especially with the gardens of the castle, Edward's sculptures and Edward himself is good-looking in spite of his scissorhands. But "Edward Scissorhands" is also a movie of contrasts. There's an obvious contrast between the brightly coloured town and the dark rooms of the castle but also one between the bright town and its inhabitants who are scornful or mocking. Besides, they're the object of a satire of the actual society and Burton tries to underline its weaknesses. Of course, the inhabitants appreciate Edward but only for his gifts. Otherwise, they're mistrustful towards him because, in their eyes, he's different and eccentric (you could be one of the inhabitants!) and the single mistake (the burglary) can lead to unexpected consequences... Whereas Johnny Depp, he's simply extraordinary and finds here, one of his best roles. He provides to his character, a lot of tenderness, affection and above all, a deep sensitivity. At last, Tim Burton knew skilfully how to blend several cinematographic styles in just one film. In "Edward Scissorhands", you find everything: comedy, fantastic, horror and drama. Moreover, Danny Elfman's gothic music is widely gorgeous to create an intense emotion. It's sometimes difficult to hold his tears... All in all, a movie which is both tender, cruel and Tim Burton's best movie after "Ed Wood".

Hauntingly Poetic

Author: BaronBl00d (baronbl00d@aol.com) from NC
25 July 2000

I really cannot add too much more to the wealth of praise directed toward this film...much of it very deserved. Tim Burton really shows us his ability to transcend mere comedic situations(Pee Wee and Beetlejuice) and tell a story of humour love, pity, conformity, and so on in an eerie and entertaining way. The way this film is constructed is amazing...the sets are wonderful as they depict something so real and yet so far away. Burton takes us into a kind of fairy land of Suburbia...with a haunting, empty castle at the end of the block that just happens to house a man with scissors for hands. The music in this film helps create a great deal of atmosphere and really lends to character development; I particularly enjoyed his use of the music of Tom Jones. The acting in the film is superb on all accounts. Burton got a subtle and effective performance from Johhny Depp, whose talents cease to amaze me. A nice Burton touch was the use of Vincent Price in one of his final roles. Although only in three scenes, seeing Vincent again was a real joy.

An uncommonly gentle man.

Author: moon tricks from Australia
4 March 2006

BIG SPOILERS.

"Give it to my loved ones?" - Edward Scissorhands.

Created by an inventor who dies before finishing his creation, and so leaving him with razor-sharp shears as hands - Edward Scissorhands (JOHNNY DEPP) isn't like other people.

When kindly Avon lady Peg Boggs (DIANE WIEST) finds him one day, hidden away in a Gothic mansion on top of a hill, she takes him under her wing and decides to take him back to the suburbs to live with her.

When we see Edward in this pastel paradise for the first time, it is apparent that he doesn't belong: his wild, dark and frightening appearance contrasting against the immaculate, sweetly colored people and homes of the suburbs. It's an ironic contrast too, as both of these 'worlds' reflect feelings and thoughts that should not associated with them - as Edward is a good-hearted person, whereas the people of the suburbs are unkind and intolerant.

When Edward arrives there he is welcomed and loved, due to the way in which he can sculpt hedges, dogs and hair into amazing works of art. But eventually, due to human trickery and greed, and Edward's want of acceptance and love, Edward is painted by the townspeople as a monster when he is told to rob a house by the boyfriend of Peg's daughter, Kim (WINONA RYDER), and he is ostracized by the town.

Throughout the course of the movie, Edward falls in love with Kim. Originally treating him as an outcast, she falls in love with him too, realizing what a kind and remarkable being he is. In the end, she is the only one who accepts him, when the entire town turns against him. Kim's boyfriend, Jim, enraged by jealousy of Edward, tries to kill him. In defense of Kim and himself, Edward plunges his scissor-hands into Jim's chest and kills him. Realising both that by what he has done they can never see each other again for his safety they share a final kiss and part ways, Edward remaining in his mansion and Kim returning to the shocked town below. The ending of this movie is one of the most wonderful I've seen. Poignant and bittersweet, it is hard to forget quickly.

Johnny Depp is outstanding as Edward Scissorhands, showing a kind of curious and bemused innocence within in the character, but at the same time a restrained passion. Every expression on his face is full of raw emotion: every cautious smile, and every time of hurt and confusion. Johhny Depp is Edward Scissorhands.

This is a wonderful fable from the brilliant imagination of Tim Burton. It's a twisted and sophisticated Gothic fairytale with a dose of comedy, and a good helping of morality, too. While a family movie, it's not really for kids - some things in there even shocked me.

This movie is amazing, and I was entranced by it the very first time I watched it. I'm not usually one for ridiculous hyperbole about movies, but there is very little wrong with this one. I love this movie.

Page 1 of 56:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]