IMDb > Def by Temptation (1990) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Def by Temptation More at IMDbPro »

Def by Temptation

Author: Scarecrow-88 from United States
1 February 2007

K(Kadeem Hardison)must find away to stop a succubus/vampire/temptress(Cynthia Bond)from securing the desires of his young minister brother, Joel(James Bond III, who also produced and directed)who is visiting him from a bible belt town from North Carolina. He'll seek help from ladies' man wannabe Dougy(Bill Nunn, well cast)who frequents a popular pick-up bar. The temptress, as seen in flashbacks through Joel's nightmares, caused the car crash and death of his parents. This would be the ultimate victory for the succubus if she could cause a man of God to follow his fleshy lust and fornicate. We see the succubus claim several male victims she picks up in bars through various vicious attacks(Dickerson often shades the violence through some creative photography and set-ups perhaps because the money for the budget was tight and using the imagination was crucial). Will Joel remain faithful to the Lord or surrender his lusts to a demon? Can his brother, K, somehow help Joel before it's too late?

Exceptionally well made considering it's minuscule budget thanks to cinematographer Ernest Dickerson's amazing, imaginative camera-work. The acting is off at times, providing some awkward moments, but the direction is potent enough to hold interest. The plot and decision to use all black performers adds a special ingredient to the horror genre. James Bond III is weak in the lead, but has enough charismatic supporters around him to sell the picture. The low rating on this site is ridiculous.

More of a Religious movie than a Horror movie

Author: larry-522 from United States
27 June 2006

This movie had more of a religious theme than a horror theme. I enjoyed it and recommend it. It is low-budget but a good first effort for James Bond, III. There are a lot of know people from the 80's and 90's in the movie who, I am sure, were just there for the publicity; however, some of the actors actually did a pretty good job, including James Bond, III, who also played in Spike Lee's SchoolDaze along with Samuel L. Jackson. There are movies with bigger budgets that are nowhere near as good as this movie. The storyline and creative aspect of the movie are much better than the set and location. If this movie would have had at least a couple more million dollars in the budget, It would have been a hit and everyone would know about it.

One of the most underrated vampire movies of the 90's!

Author: John Lindsey from Albuquerque New Mexico
30 May 2006

In New York City, there is a beautiful temptress (Cynthia Bond) who seduces men at bars then takes them to her place only to murder them and drain their blood as she's actually a vampire. Joel (James Bond III) is a student from out-of-town who just came to the city to seek the advice of his actor friend named K ( Kadeem Hardisan), he also shows Joel a good time around the big apple especially at bars then has the help of Joel and a detective to find out what's behind these bizarre murders.

Very interesting and underrated vampire blaxplotation thriller from writer-director-producer-star James Bond III. What works in this movie is a good storyline with some sex and violence around, the movie was released by the popular independent studio known as "Troma" in theaters and has gained a small cult following. The acting is very good especially the writing on the dialog, there's also some great cinematography that captures the mood and feel of this flick.

If your into vampire flicks or supernatural horror movies then i suggest you watch this one!

Also recommended: "Vamp", "Dracula" (1931), "The Hunger", "Vampire Hunter D", "Basic Instinct", "Bram Stoker's Dracula", "Near Dark", "Buffy The Vampire Slayer"( Movie and Show), "The Forsaken", "Innocent Blood", "Blackula", "Tales from The Hood", "Fright Night 1 & 2", "Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust", "Blood The Last Vampire", "Blade Trilogy", "American Werewolf in London", "The Lost Boys", "Daughters of Darkness", "John Carpenter's Vampires", "From Dusk Till Dawn", "Salem's Lot" ( 1979 and 2004), "Once Bitten", "Lifeforce", "Demons", "Suspiria", "Interview with the vampire", "Queen of the Damned", "The Night Flier", "Evil Dead II", "Lair of the White Worm", and "Martin".

Not bad

Author: guyfromjerzee from United States
5 November 2004

I think most of the bad reviews for this movie are from people who aren't familiar with the Troma franchise. Troma is an independent film company that showcases unique, unusual and often very twisted projects from up-and-coming filmmakers who can't get a break from other (more hypocritical) film companies. "Def by Temptation" is certainly the work of an amateur, but I can tell that James Bond III put his passion into the movie and he did make a moderately good effort. I can't lie and say that the movie doesn't look low-budget, but its cheapness adds to its charm. And there's never a dull moment. The acting is often good, since quite a few of the actors are alumni from Spike Lee's films. Bill Nunn, who many might remember as Radio Raheem in "Do the Right Thing," gives the strongest performance and to this day I feel like he's one of the many underrated actors who never gets proper recognition for his talent. As you can expect, though Samuel L. Jackson is on the cover of the DVD and video, he's only in the movie for about 15 minutes. Once again, cashing in on the popularity of a big-name actor, who wasn't such a big name at the time. Kadeem Hardison, who many remember as Dwayne Wayne on "A Different World," does a fine job in the lead role, as does the female lead who plays the Temptress. About the only bad apple in the bunch is the director himself, who plays second lead. Bond's performance just seems way too subdued and his emotions seem forced.

I understand he's supposed to play a laid-back, repressed, Bible-toting individual, but he plays the role a little too low-key. The concept of an all-black horror movie has been done before in films like "Blacula," but it's not a concept that has been repeated very frequently. Even in our supposedly politically correct times, the black characters still tend to die off significantly quicker than the white characters in scary movies. Some of the dialogue is a little too cheesy, but there's also a lot of funny dialogue. The movie takes itself more seriously than you'd expect, but it never gets too serious. Nowadays, we see tons of campy horror flicks that seem 90 percent comedy and 10 percent horror, so it's cool that Bond didn't want to go that route. From a technical standpoint, the film's best aspect is its lighting, especially during the bar scenes. The DP is Ernest Dickerson, who's worked on Spike Lee's films. The camera-work is sometimes shoddy, with some bad eyeline matching during the dialogue scenes, but the lighting is great. It was also fun to listen to the movie's hip soundtrack, mostly composed of R & B from the early 90's. It helps date the film, but not in a bad way. "Def by Temptation" is far from a masterpiece, but it's entertaining and unique. Just don't expect to see Sammy L. in a big role and you won't be disappointed.

Grade 'A' 'B' Movie!

Author: sylvar-3
6 February 2001

This is more than a, 'blaxplotation' film. It has deep, 'religious overtone's' Director Bond was attempting to make a point to that, 'male unsatisfied lust'! Doing this by way of a scary demon temptress called, 'Temptation'! It was meant to scare, and make you think. (Unfortunately a fixed film budget can only go so far when you're making a horror film which requires special effect's on the order of the, 'Exorcist'.) Mr. Bonds point was well taken here! I recommend the rental!

I enjoyed this film very much.

Author: robert-259-28954 from United States
8 December 2012

I give this film high marks in spite of its limitations, which are primarily budgetary only. I thought the casting was perfect, particularly in Kadeem Hardison (who's career I had thought should have been, by rights, much larger), and Cynthia Bond, who's feature turn as the succubus was terrific—both terrifying and seductive at the same time. There were references to this film being firmly in the genre of "blackspoitation," but again, given the obviously low budget and other factors, I thought they did a bang up job with what they had to work with. Compared to say, "Vampire In Brooklyn," a big budget studio film starring Eddie Murphy, this little film succeeded in every important way, and in comparison fared so much better for all the reasons you watch a movie in the first place, two hours of solid entertainment. In this regard, I think the film succeeds quite well—funny, scary, hip and funky, with a strong undercurrent of the mystery of faith. I loved it.

Great waste of time

Author: owi2001 from Germany
21 February 2009

Well, I really tried! But it didn't help. This movie is so bad it hurts. Dull screenplay, amateurish acting and very bad visuals. And though Ernest R. Dickerson might be the only artist/technician on this project, it didn't amount to nothing but the look of a home-video. And then the soundtrack: O boy, this is even worse than the famous Glen-or-Glenda soundtrack! The sound-quality is very low (home video again) and the music is just horrible and without any connection to the plot whatsoever. I really like low-budget movies, as far as there is any vision you can explore or at least: something. There's nothing here, I can assure you.

Don't let the Def tempt you

Author: labratst from United States
27 August 2001

***SPOILER***

Like the moron I must be, I rented this movie because I like vampire films and I like Samuel L. Jackson. Maybe I didn't do enough research or something, because when the video box says that the movie "stars" Samuel L. Jackson and is what Vampire in Brooklyn should have been, I foolishly thought that (a)Samuel L. Jackson would be in the movie for more than 5 minutes (b) It would be about a vampire (c) it would be better than Vampire in Brooklyn. Boy was I wrong. I respect it as an ambitious independent film but I would have been more impressed had it been the first attempt at film-making. This was amateurish with a capital "A". A few genuinely frightening moments, but they were bookended by some genuinely terrible moments. If you are looking for a fun movie to "MST" with friends at a late night Halloween party...this is a good choice. Otherwise, beware of this temptation.

Def By Temptation: High Caliber Horror

Author: (babygraceblue@teenagewildlife.com) from Berkeley, CA
13 March 2001

"Def by Temptation" is one of the sleekest, most genuine independent horror films to come out in the past 20 years. It is easy to dismiss its credibility due to the reputation Troma has built for itself (and the film does include plenty of creative gore), but it is one of the most poignant and original works of the modern horror genre. An original story, talented actors, great low-budget special effects and a skilled eye on the part of director (and writer/producer/actor) James Bond III for genuinely creepy visuals make this a horror film on the same scale of such other cult classics as "The Hunger" and "Nadja". It is a rarity to find a horror film that still focuses on old-fashioned traditions such as plot and character development, and this film has a refreshing amount of both. James Bond III is pioneer in the spirit of Oscar Micheaux, and has truly created a horror masterpiece with "Def by Temptation."

John Canada Terrell

Author: londa1201 from United States
13 June 2012

The movie was poorly written but i thought it was some really funny scenes in there. The ugly Grandma, John Canada Terrell's ding dong jangling all the way to the door until the beast tore him up. Dwayne Wayne getting sucked through the TV hilarious. I even wrote John C Terrell on Facebook and told him was jangling that little ding-dong. Almost forgot when the Demon lady stuck her claws all the way up the homo's butt that took the cake. Boy did she get really ugly in the end i wonder if John C Terrell will get naked in something again that was such a funny scene to watch will never forget it. There is stuff he can take for shrinkage.