IMDb > The Death of the Incredible Hulk (1990) (TV) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
The Death of the Incredible Hulk

The Death of the Incredible Hulk (TV) More at IMDbPro »

Ang Lee was not here...mercifully!

Author: uds3 from Longmont, Colorado
6 May 2005

For all the phony fx and Ferrigno's campy though lovable Hulkisms, this film is everything that Lee's pathetic re-hash wasn't!

Bixby as David Banner had such pathos and dignity. Being older than most reviewers here, I remember fondly the late Bill Bixby in "My Favorite Martian" (another TV series unwisely and embarrassingly updated for the big screen....think "The Flintstones," "Mission Impossible," "Wild Wild West," "I Spy," etc - all complete and utter dead losses) But as I was saying, Bixby was an utter gentleman, and in this film he gives us the tortured scientist who carries this unwanted creature of destruction within him. He conveys vividly, his pain, his desperation and his regret for his wayward experimentation. Bana in the remake was a totally miscast idiotic wuss and with less credibility than the tea lady. Everything Bixby and Ferrigno stood for was washed down the plughole in two hours of split-screen insensitivity and dumbass special effects. Ferrigno...green and in tight beach shorts looks way better!

I recently bought this DVD for a miserable $2.95 in a bargain-bin. It is the only time I have ever felt saddened by the fact. This film and Bixby himself should never have been thus demeaned.This is a movie that is far better than its production values might otherwise suggest. Bixby directs (and acts) with commendable emotion.

At the end, it is almost as if he sensed his own approaching mortality. The Hulk had been such a huge part of his life, those two words "I'm free" might be seen as pretty much his epitaph.

If you laugh at this film, you should never have been watching it!

Great film

Author: eaglewayprod from California
18 March 2004

The Incredible Hulk was my favorite series growing up and when they started doing these movies I was thrilled. I've watched every Hulk film they did including this and I didn't like the way they ended it. I loved the film I just would have given it a different ending. It's a very sad film to watch not just because it's the end of an era, but also because Bill Bixby is no longer with us. The world will miss his talent. He was a talented actor and a talented Director. I recently purchased all of the TV movies on DVD and they were suppose to do another Hulk film after this one, but after Bill's death this became impossible. This is a must see for fans of the series.

Great Film

Author: HaddonfieldJason from United States
16 June 2003

David Banner wants to be cured. When he finally develops one,a spy destroys the lab.Now Hulk will have to destroy the spy's evil boss,and rescue the doctor who can cure him.But will he die doing this task? I loved this film. It was a lot better than the new hulk film which I was very dissapointed by. Lou Ferringo is the Hulk period! I love it! A lot better! See it!

3.5/4

Bill Bixby's Curtain Call.

Author: Miyagis_Sweaty_wifebeater (sirjosephu@aol.com) from Sacramento, CA
24 August 2005

The Death of the Incredible Hulk (1990) was not only the last appearance of the Incredible Hulk, but the final role for David Bruce Banner. After years on the run, David has finally made an ultimatum. He'll either cure himself or die trying. The government and other people want the hulk. But will David find a cure and get rid of the green menace once and for all or is this just a dream? You want answers? The watch THE DEATH OF THE INCREDIBLE HULK.

Bill Bixby directed this made-for-t.v.-movie. He also stars as the world weary David Banner. Lou Ferrigno reprises his most famous role, The Incredible Hulk. Even though Mr. Bixby has passed on, he'll always be remembered for his role as David B_ _ _!

Recommended for die-hard Incredible Hulk fans.

It's not easy dying green

Author: 4-Kane from Arlington, MA
10 April 2001

I can still remember watching this post-series HULK TV-movie the first time it was shown (February 18, 1990). I was only 17 at the time, and I have to admit that after it was over, I almost cried. As a huge fan of the INCREDIBLE HULK television series since 1979, I found it to be painfully depressing to see the Hulk die.

When you consider all the things the Hulk survived throughout the TV series (such as being buried alive, electrocutions, poisoning, car accidents, being shot, drowning, and even having a car collapse on him), it's implausible that he could die by simply falling from an airplane. In fact, he survived a similar incident on the show (episode "Free Fall")!

The story was good, though. However, since many believed that this was the end of the TV saga for our green hero, they must have been surprised that his nemesis, newspaper reporter Jack McGee, was nowhere to be seen. This meant that McGee missed his last chance for closure!

But it turned out that there were plans for a follow-up entitled The Revenge of the Incredible Hulk (a.k.a. The Rebirth of the Incredible Hulk). Unfortunately, it was never filmed because of Bill Bixby's untimely death (from prostate cancer). So when Bixby died, plans for another HULK TV-movie went with him. :(

Sadly, the Hulk's death also ended up meaning the death of David Banner, whose final words were: "I am free." To David Banner and the Hulk: may you both rest in peace.

a beautiful film

Author: saculnamron from United Kingdom
19 December 2004

one thing that i must admit to first i am new to the hulk.When i was a child my brother and my dad used to watch it every week while i would run away as fast as i could as soon as i heard the opening theme. Fast forward twenty odd years and i get onto a website about the hulk and start to get interested.I first bought the pilot movie and this movie the death of the incredible hulk.I also have the ultimate collection.The story of David banner is so sad and when watching any episode you want to give him a hug and tell him everything will be alright(the part is played so very well by the lovely late bill bixby)sad to say in this the last installment as it turned out(due to bixby's untimely death)all does not end well and i cried my eyes out as he fell out of the plane crashed to the ground and finally says 'i am free'Before he dies.a lovely series and a wonderful film thanks for the memories.See this film do not miss it.though i too would liked to have seen jack mcgee in it.

This Movie Is So Sad!!!!

Author: possumopossum from United States
14 July 2007

When I saw the title of this movie, I thought that they would have found a way to rid David Banner of the Hulk once and for all, but I didn't figure on him dying himself at the end. That seriously sucked bricks. I just knew that he was going to rid himself of the Hulk and go off somewhere with that defected Russian spy and live happily ever after, as the old cliché' goes. What was really sad was that Bill Bixby himself died shortly after he made this movie. This movie signified the end of an era.

I like the fact that they made this kind of like a spy thriller. It was probably the last of the Cold War movies. Some of the scenes in this film were worthy of a good James Bond thriller, only not so many gadgets. All in all, a good but sad farewell to Bill Bixby. 7 out of 10.

A long story comes to an end...a good one

Author: Bjorn (ODDBear) from Iceland
2 January 2007

Once again David Banner is on the brink of finding a cure but fate rears it's ugly head and thrash his chances of becoming normal again.

A good conclusion to the Bixby/Ferrigno Hulk saga. This is a well written and acted finale which brings the story to an end, and while it's sad it's not disappointing. In fact it's quite fitting.

Spoiler

David's last words are "I am free" and that's the real truth. He was damned when he injected the gamma rays into his body and there was simply no other way of being free

End of spoiler

The story here is interesting, well written and suspenseful. This movie is a huge leap over the previous The Incredible Hulk Returns and The Trial of the Incredible Hulk which went for camp instead of drama. No such mistake made here as David's quest finally comes to an end.

As always Bixby is magnificent and Ferrigno as well. The other characters are well played by some very fine actors. The Incredible Hulk not only gets to have an ending but fortunately it's a good one as well.

RIP

Author: GemmaGoodman_100 from England
9 January 2004

Being just 18 I wasn't even born when The Incredible Hulk was being aired first time round...and living in England we get to see things a lot later that America.

The Incredible Hulk was one of the few 'adult' Tv shows that I would sit, watch and enjoy from around 4 years old.

Despite his size and rather odd colouring I found him rather charming with a vulnerability that made him rather cute...

Bill Bixby played Banner wonderfully...I had no idea he was dead until I read his bio...it's really quite sad

I will always associate him with The Hulk...I don't have a favourite episode as they were all brilliant...I cried when he died

I am glad that they didn't bring him back from the dead...Some say that the death of the Hulk bought about the death of Bixby...but I believe that maybe it was meant to be...that way the actor and character who he made truly real both went together...both finding the freedom that they had both deserved.

A Truely sad ending.

Author: navydav from Western North Carolina
7 May 2002

I have always been a big comic book fan since I was a kid. I loved the TV show and the movies that came before and after. I was a little guy when I was younger and was picked on alot, so the Hulk episodes and later films let me fantasy at times I could change into a big creature and protect myself.

Anyway I think this was a good final chapter to the Original Hulk and a new one will begin next Summer with the 2003 big budget outing. To answer you questions about how this fall from that airplane could kill the Hulk, the answer is simple. He was in the process of changing back to Dr. Banner, so by the time he hit the ground, the good doctor took the full force.