IMDb > Cyrano de Bergerac (1990) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Cyrano de Bergerac

Cyrano de Bergerac More at IMDbPro »

Page 5 of 7: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [Next]

sound of drum, flags flapping, spears rising toward the sky

Author: spaba from Torino, Italy
1 May 2001

"Cyrano de Bergerac" is a great baroque fresco. The opening in the theater, the fight of Cyrano against one hundred killers, the cadets marching in the night streets towards the war, the siege of Arras, all looks like some big Baroque painting. Director Rappaneau has defintely documented himself very well (probably using as reference the great painters of that period: on how people lived and died during the Thirty Years War: the people pillaging the heaps of dead, the Spanish soldiers praying before the attack, the coming of the Spanish across the wheat field towards the French stronghold. The attack scene is one of the most realistic ever made: with the sky covered by the smoke of the guns, the peasants forced by the soldiers to fill the creek with faggots of wood, so to allow them to cross, the following "melée" is highly realistic, one can almost smell the taste of blood and smoke. The costumes are perfect, so is the scenery. Gerard Depardieu is immense, he fills the screen, showing a character full of dignity and of courage, but permeated of gloominess for the love not reciprocated by the beautiful cousin.

The pinnacle of Romanticism.

Author: Chris D. from Kingston, Ontario, Canada
5 March 2001

A marvelous take on Rostand's classic. Gerard Depardieu is a towering presence playing a towering character. Written in the late nineteenth century, the play was meant to be the last hooray for late Romanticism and conveys all the deep emotions of a Tchaikovsky or a Brahms. The cynics of our times will find its poetry laughable but nothing for me will ever top Cyrano's dying or the balcony's scenes. They are the pinnacle of Romanticism and, like the treetop chase in Crouching Tiger, remind us of the poetic beauty that is to be found in the human soul.

Funny and moving

Author: supercoolpaul (supercoolpaul@hotmail.com) from Edinburgh, Scotland
24 February 2001

I'm aware some people are put off by subtitled films but this is one of my favorites and therefore should be watched by everyone. Mostly, this is because it made me cry and I can't think of another movie that had this effect since, I don't know when. It's a similar emotion to 'Casablanca', basically a love story that has no 'happy ending'. The acting and score is impeccable but it is perhaps the english translation I admire the most because unlike many other subtitled films it succesfully convays emotion. So, please watch it, I'm not a sap, (my favorite film is Goodfellas!)

What can I say?

Author: pstratford from London, England
30 January 2001

An excellent film but I would like to bring non-French speaker's notice to Brian Aldiss' (Empire of the Sun) superb translation work for the subtitles... particularly his ability to get some of the rhyming to work - always tricky between languages!

This movie addressed what is important in a relationship.

Author: jes_sail from Southern California
13 November 2000

This movie had it all, action, romance, pathos and enlightenment. The sword fight scenes were choreographed terrifically. Pierre Lhomme did a terrific job shooting both the fight scenes as well as the romantic scenes. The director, Jean-Paul Rappeneau, did not go for a Hollywood ending but stayed true to the story leaving the poignant ending. The movie is in French with English subtitles but it is so visual you will understand the plot and enjoy it. Do yourself a favor and rent or buy this movie.

Passion for the film.

Author: afdeluca from Buenos Aires, Argentina
7 August 2000

Cyrano de Bergerac is an excellent film, perfectly adapted to the cinema by its screenwriters from Edmond Rostand's novel. It has action, rythm, poetry, passion. The emotional charge in every character drives you into an internal trip where your deepest feelings are touched, and your breathing is paralized by moments.

The tecnical supports are wonderful too: the music, the casting, the weardrobe, the make up, the different stages, the camera takes and its movements. Everything is submitted to the film, to the narration that the director pretends to show.

I would like to say that it is outstanding the performance of Mr. Gerard Depardieu in Cyrano's character. It is magnificent, really glorious. And about Mr. Rappeneau's work, I think that the director and his crew, have demostrated, with this film, that the cinema is the seventh art.

Thank you to all of them !!!

A chef d'oeuvre in poetry

Author: Sputnik3 from Montreal, Canada
21 October 1999

So brilliantly written, you could watch this movie like you can listen to one of your favorite song so abondant and subtle are the rimes. With a very impressive list of great French actors, you can only enjoy the best of acting. Of course you have to be French(language)to fully appreciate the richness of the script but anyone with a serious interest and knowledge of this tongue might discover the genious of Edmond Rostand. He is a Shakespeare of his time no doubt.

this is the best movie ever

Author: Reb-22 from Somersworth, Nh
14 September 1999

I was totally amazed by the excellence with which Gerard Depardieu played this character. I believe that he actually felt the sort of rejection that Cyrano felt deep in his soul. I was swept away by the deep emotions that he expressed, the passion with which he delivered each line. To tell the truth, though, I thought that Roxanne was a little dim-witted to not see right away what was going on between her, Cyrano and Christian. Her knowing about the whole plot would have ruined the drama, though, and made the movie foolish. Her naivety served to bring further tension between Christian and Cyrano and make the movie great. As for being long, those of you raised by bleep-ing computers and video games will not like this movie. Those of us with more poetry than cynicism in our hearts will be lost in the moment as Gerard whispers his famous words. "And tonight, when I at last God behold, my salute will sweep His blue threshold, with something spotless, a diamond in the ash, which I take in spite of you . . .and that's . . .my pinache."

Marvelous even for non-Francophiles

Author: TPK
12 April 1999

Very rarely, you come across a foreign-language film that is so masterfully directed, acted and translated that by the end, you forget you're reading the subtitles. This is such a movie. The story of Cyrano de Bergerac--soldier, scholar, nonconformist and poet, with a beautiful soul and freakish face--is one that should resonate with anyone who has ever yearned for love, but feared rejection too much to take the risk. It's a movie that should be seen by every awkward teenager, every hopeless romantic, and every stubborn soul that refuses to conform.

Fantastic!! Destined to be a classic

Author: Sean P. Doyle from Edmonds, Washington
1 April 1999

So rarely does fine literature translate to screen without suffering terribly. They creators of this masterpiece have done a masterful job preserving the soul of the novel on the silver screen. A truly fantastic, literary movie destined to be considered a classic by future generations!

Page 5 of 7: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [Next]