IMDb > Cyrano de Bergerac (1990) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Cyrano de Bergerac

Cyrano de Bergerac More at IMDbPro »

Page 4 of 7: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [Next]

Planted in my soul for years

Author: histoiredeamelie from Burgas, Bulgaria
21 June 2014

Have you experienced watching a movie in your childhood you did not know the title of and merely remembered the actors , but was obsessed with the idea of it? Well, this movie was one of these.

Until a few days ago I decided to look for it using my memories for the plot. And I found it, cannot tell you how happy I was! The idea behind this movie is outstanding! I can only quote the Little Prince: "L'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux."

The world presented in this movie is different than ours. Starring actor is moved by feelings unknown in the material space we live in. His actions look like the actions of the fighter for overall justice and happiness without having the privilege to ever be awarded for that. The only award known to him is freedom and self-satisfaction.

A masterpiece ; if you aren't moved by this film, please contact Area 51, for you're an Alien

Author: ericmarseille from France
22 December 2013

Summary : near the middle of the 17th century, Cyrano de Bergerac is the most independent-minded and talented poet, the most feared duelist, and, in the "Cadets de Gascogne" Regiment, one of the most valorous military men on the place of Paris.

Yet, secretly, he feels miserable...Deeply in love for years with his cousin, the radiantly beautiful Roxanne, he never confessed it to anyone, including the beauty herself, for fear of ridicule...For this hero has a terrible flaw : his hideous, overgrown, cartilaginous nose, destroying forever his chances to live a normal life.

One day however, Cyrano's routine of hiding his sorrow behind his pride is turned upside down : Roxanne wants to talk to him...Trembling with a mix of fear, hope and excitement, he goes to the rendezvous, only to learn that Roxanne is in love with a handsome young man, Christian de Neuvilette ; Christian is to incorporate the Cadets de Gascogne, and, not being a Gascon himself, she fears he may be roughed up or worse and is asking for Cyrano's protection, which he gallantly promises, accepting his defeat with secret despair.

But in those days to be handsome wasn't enough and to win the heart of a "precious" meant to master the art of eloquence, and Christian, as chivalrous as he is, not only has none, but doesn't understand that it should be needed so badly when a man an a woman are already inclined to each other, risking to lose Roxanne with his directness.

Cyrano decides to help Christian in wooing Roxanne, through his utmost brilliance in eloquence ; he'll be his voice at their secret rendezvous, his hand in writing his love letters...But won't he risk burning his proverbial wings getting closer and closer to what has been his personal sun for so many years? From then on you should watch the film without knowing too much, for it is a masterpiece on so many levels. The end, particularly, has drawn oceans of tears from hundreds of millions of eyes (the play book is a best-seller).

But before giving my own appreciation on the film, one has to know the following facts : - There was actually a Cyrano de Bergerac, in the middle of the 17th century, and, except for the love story, he was EXACTLY what he is portrayed in the film, and perhaps even more interestingly so, in that he is considered a precursor of the enlightment and perhaps agnosticism ; he composed also incredibly touching poems about nature, yet one just needs to know that the most historically accurate fact in the film is his famous fight, and victory, against one hundred henchmen at the Porte de Buci, which was related by many written accounts of the time, to understand that he was a larger than life, extraordinary character.

- The french play writer Edmond Rostand, by the end of the XIX century became engrossed with this almost forgotten historical figure, and decided to revive him in a play, adding a love plot, using the historically attested, enormous but not particularly ugly, nose of Cyrano, as the catalyst for the story. The play was instantly a triumph and never ceased so, despite a curious use of the metric and some arguably convoluted verses, but the emotion is so there that no one in his mind can resist it ; this play is almost entirely respected in the film, verse for verse.

- Now the film in itself : first, hats off to Jean-Paul Rappeneau for his recreation of XVII th century Paris : it isn't a film played in this era, it is a film LIVED in this era ; one must watch it to believe it! it's an absolute shock, never have I felt such an immersion in time! the costumes, the streets, the houses, the light, the settings, the people, everything feels (and probably is) authentic.

- But especially hats off to Gérard Depardieu, who has understood the character so well, turning his frustration into bursts of pure fury, yet showing the widest palette of emotions, the deepest gallantry, the deepest sorrow, with such delicacy...If it were just for his act, one should watch the film. it's not for nothing that this is considered his career's pinnacle.

I have only two negative remarks to make : First, Anne Brochet as Roxanne isn't convincing enough in my opinion, and she isn't as radiantly beautiful as I would have liked, but her role is difficult (who wouldn't be turned off eventually by such a pretentious lady nowadays?), and she acts magnificently during the end scene.

Second, the fight scenes with Gérard Depardieu are more reminiscent of his role to come as Obelix, rather as to the finest fencer of his day ; now, one has to understand that the real Cyrano was only twenty when he did all his exploits, before being gravely injured on battle at twenty-two, and that good old Gégé was probably well in his thirties in the film...

For the rest : a must watch, absolutely. If the end doesn't draw tears from your eyes, please contact Area 51 for you must be an Alien.

Cyrano - the representative of many a men

Author: Manoj Murali (manoj.back.in.action@gmail.com) from India
26 March 2013

There is a Cyrano Bergerac in majority of men. The man who can fight with hundred at a time, but doesn't have the courage to express his love. His complex, his fear is something which I myself have experienced in life. Apart from all this what makes Cyrano special is the happiness he finds in making his loved one happy. Even if that means letting her unite with the man she loves. As Cyrano himself says towards the end - " While I was down there in darkness, others climbed up and kissed the flower". This one line is valid not just in the life of Cyrano but many of us around. The film is filled with similar heart pleasing one liners. If ever you thought you are a loser who cant win hearts, turn on to this masterpiece. There is a beauty in being a loser. A beauty that is eternal..

Cyrano De Bergerac

Author: baloga09 from United States
7 December 2012

Cyrano De Bergerac was a very energetic and passionate movie. The actor that played Cyrano did such a great job. The enthusiasm and power that he put into the role was amazing. I love how Cyrano was so prideful. He had his own path and he did not care who he angered. I also enjoyed how the ending was not a happy ending. I feel the way they ended it was more believable than the way an American would of ended it, with the guy getting the girl and living happily ever after. The directer is Jean-Paul Rappeneau. He is a french film director, screenwriter, and actor. Rappeneau is known for creating the most elaborate film version of Cyrano De Bergerac. The film was one of the most expensive French films ever produced. A great idea is the idea about how people think very superficial about themselves. This idea is seen throughout the whole film. In the beginning Cyrano freaks out at a man in the theater and ends up in a sword and word battle with the guy because he makes fun of his nose. Also Cyrano feels no woman would want him just because of his nose. Even in the end when he is told that Roxanne loved whoever wrote the letters and did not care if the person was ugly, Cyrano still waited until his death was eminent to let her know he wrote the letters. Another good idea is that a man should stand up for what he believes in. Cyrano shows this constantly throughout the movie. First when he is in the bathhouse and Comte De Guiche comes to ask him a question. Cyrano could get one of his plays put on stage but he would have to join Comte De Guiche. Cyrano basically spits in his face and does not respect the man. The largest thing that stood out to me that made this movie French was the fact that it did not have a happy ending. If this were an American film Cyrano would of ended with Roxanne and Christian would not of died. But with having Christian die and Cyrano not tell Roxanne he loves her we get this interesting ending where no one ends up happy. It has a very dark Shakespearian feel to it. Another thing from the movie that was very French was that you were entertained by more words than fighting. In an American film there would of been more fighting and less word play, but in the French movie the people are more proud of being able to speak more diverse than be rich.

beats Hollywood at its own game

Author: Michael Neumann from United States
12 November 2010

Edmond Rostand's celebrated swordsman/poet is the ideal role for Gerard Depardieu, demanding a physical presence and a level of energy few other actors could muster. Taking its cues from the swashbuckling entertainments of Hollywood's golden years, the film may well stand the test of time to become the definitive version of the story: thrilling, romantic, literate, and larger than life in a way that not even subtitles can hide. But it isn't all swordplay and daring-do: director Jean-Paul Rappeneau and his co-writer Jean-Claude Carriere devote equal attention to the humor in Cyrano's character and to the tragedy of his unrequited love for the fair Roxanne, and Depardieu responds with a generous performance filled with bold flourishes and subtle gestures. It was a sure bet for the Best Foreign Film Oscar, but Academy voters apparently don't appreciate European features comparing so favorably to their American role models. An ill-timed and too candid interview with Depardieu, during which the actor revealed too much (for Stateside viewers) of his delinquent adolescence probably didn't do the film any favors either.

simply a superb film

Author: zb95 from United States
20 July 2009

Just a wonderful film. So many memorable scenes but my favorite was Cyrano's sword and verbal battle with the dude who made a simple common insult of his nose which Cyrano then responded with dozens of funny and clever alternate versions he could have used instead. Just a spectacularly witty and superbly acted scene! It has to be one of the best of all time in my opinion.

But the entire movie was superb top to bottom. Great lines, great costumes, great acting. The English translations appeared to be perfect -- I cannot imagine it being any better in French but I suspect it was. It deserved all the awards it got. A ten in my book!

Beautiful, Poetic, and Masterful

Author: HulotderSpeiler
5 February 2009

Although much of the greatness of this film comes from the immortal story of the French play written hundreds of years ago, there is something special about this adaptation that sets it apart from others. It may be simply that it is French, and the French understand this play more than anyone else. It could be Depardieu's riveting performance that would make you forget that he is acting. It might be attributed to the magnificent sets and stunning cinematography, or the perfect mix of tragedy and comedy. All of those things are part of it, but the true greatness comes from the translation. Some say that it may kill the poetry to make the lines that rhyme in French rhyme in English, but in this film it is not so. Cyrano's eloquence grips you in such a way that you feel like applauding the screen. The poetic soul of the story is backed by the characters speaking in poetry. The opening scene is masterfully shot, establishing the greatest character in film or literature in one of the greatest scenes of all time. Above all, Depardiu gives a performance for the ages in a demanding role. You will see why he won the top prize for acting at Cannes

The most beautiful romantic film

Author: casanuev from Boulder, CO
17 November 2001

In this magnificent film, Gerard Depardieu does his best job in all the movies I've seen from him. The story is so beautiful and the mise-en scene is just incredible, simulating perfectly the period in which the story happened. The costumes are just amazing, incredible!!!

For people who speak or understand French this must be one of the most beautiful films in this language, and for those who think it is a romantic language, please watch this movie!!!

I can only recommend this film. Enjoy!!!

The definitive version of Edmond Rostand's play

Author: Jason Berkley (jdberkley@hotmail.com) from Chicago, Illinois
2 November 2001

I'm not certain a better "Cyrano De Bergerac" is possible. It has the right actors, starting and ending with Gerard Depardieu in a performance that should have won him an Oscar. It has the right settings, the right look, the right music, the right comic-elegiac tone. I don't think we'll see another film version of this play for a long while-- there's really no point.

Best actor

Author: jimcora from Wisconsin USA
28 July 2001

This is an excellent movie - wonderful sets, costumes, acting, direction - a must see. All I can add to the comments of others is that Depardieu was robbed. He should have won the Academy Award for his memorable Cyrano.

Page 4 of 7: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [Next]