IMDb > Crazy People (1990) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Crazy People

Crazy People More at IMDbPro »

A "video nice" to counteract all the video nasties.

Author: Guy Chapman from United Kingdom
2 April 2002

This is not the most intellectually stimulating film ever made. Nor is it the most believable plot - but it is funny, whimsical and charming, and occasionally surreal. If you want a film to brighten up your life, this fits the bill just nicely. The supporting cast are also very engaging, being far more than just a backdrop to Moore and Hannah. I like it a lot.

This movie won't just make you laugh, it'll make you stop breathing and die.

Author: Malkav X. Toaster (malkavthejester@yahoo.com) from Lincoln, NE, USA
25 May 2004

Well, I almost did. The first time I saw Crazy People, I thought it was a work of comic genius. Now, several years later, I still do.

Emory and Steve (Dudley Moore and Paul Reiser) are ad executives who need to come up with new advertisements in a hurry. When Emory's relationship falls apart, he becomes disillusioned with the whole business of lying and makes up some honest ads. As his partner, Steve is naturally concerned, and has him committed to a mental hospital. While they're doing that, the honest ads accidentally get printed. People everywhere are told that they should fly United Airlines because, quote, "Most of our passengers get there alive." This is just one of the hilarious and truthful ads we get to see in the film.

When the honest ads become wildly popular, the head of the ad agency wants Emory to come back to work. He doesn't want to leave the hospital, so the members of his group therapy group become ad writers to help him. As it turns out, the lunatics are very good at writing honest commercials. The New York tourism campaign was particularly good. Ad #1 told us that "It's not as filthy as you think," whereas Ad #2 assured us that "There were fewer murders last year."

There is a bit of tension in the middle of the movie, but I'm not going to spoil that for those people who haven't seen it yet. Trust me, it's worth the rental price. If you're looking for a good laugh, get ahold of this movie. If you're looking for intelligent discourse on the subject of dishonesty in society or mankind's relative dishonesty with himself or others, rent something else along with this movie.

One more ad, in case you're not totally convinced yet: "Metamucil: It helps you go to the toilet. If you don't use it, you'll get cancer and die."

Go on. You know you want to. Okay, go to the toilet first. But then, rent this movie!

Forget France - Come to Greece. We're Nicer.

Author: Jim Jeremiah from Lake Havasu, Arizona
3 March 1999

I saw this movie back when it was in theatres, and busted up laughing when I saw it, it can make an excellent addition to your home video collection. It makes you wonder whether advertisers in real life should start acting like the ones in the film... "Forget France - Come to Greece. We're Nicer."

A fine fun movie

Author: Dave Kobus from NYC
22 October 2001

This is just one of those movies that you can just enjoy. A very pleasing movie with a ton of memorable lines. If only advertising was really like this. See "The Freak", this movie will not only scare you, it will f**k you up for life! A classic.

Hilarious

Author: artbyshan from Fort Oglethorpe, Georgia
18 December 2004

This is in my opinion Dudley Moore's funniest movie. However, the cast of characters in this movie also aid in helping with the laugh's. Of course the advertisement's (Designed to be brutally honest about products/services) that are created by these members of a mental hospital are the highlight of this film. Even though the advertisement's probably would not work in real life and would probably cause consumer outrage in this politically correct society we live in today,(e.g., Visit New York it's not as filthy as you think), it makes for some good laughs. I highly recommend this movie for those that enjoy a good comedy.

I laughed until I stopped

Author: ccdesan from Salt Lake City
5 November 2004

Truth in advertising... if only it were so! No, it's not the slickest film and the performances are just a bit flat, but there's a lot of good material to work with. The "R" rating is for a lot of scattered profanity (which really isn't necessary, but.. wait! wait! here's a slogan for Hollywood screenwriters: "We're really stupid dullards, but we say 'F---' a lot so you'll think we're smart!"), but if you can stand it, this movie has a lot of funny moments. Darryl Hannah playes a cute dysfunctional inmate who falls for a stressed-out and temporarily committed Dudley Moore - there's a lot stolen from "One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest" here, but it's entertaining enough that you shouldn't mind. Worth watching at least once.

Worth the dollar I paid for it

Author: skp14 from United States
11 May 2006

My brother and I spotted this when we were renting a movie in one of those big discount bins of random movies. We sometimes enjoy watching stupid movies just for the hell of it and thought thats what it was going to turn out to be. We were pleasantly surprised with about the first half of the movie. Take out the throughly unnecessary love story and this movie could be an hour shorter and would probably get a much higher rating. Now I sometimes watch it, fast forwarding through the tedious bits. I would recommend it, but I don't know that I would pay more than a coupla bucks for the pleasure of watching it. It's the kind of movie that you get excited about showing friends, and glow with pride at finding such a great movie for a good part of but then sit around uncomfortably for stretches of it because you know they are inexcusably boring.

Half-"Crazy"....

Author: Mister-6 from United States
18 December 1999

I'm kind of stuck. Half of this movie is the most hilarious I have seen this decade, the other half I could very well have lived without.

"Crazy People" talks about two types of nut cases: ones that are committed to institutions and the others who think they are normal and live on the other side of the wall. Of course, the main crux of the story is when Moore's life takes a nose-dive and he cracks, writing brutally savage ads for some very well-known products ("Quaker Oats - How does it taste? Who knows, but at least the BOX is cute"). Of course, nothing tops the tag line he makes for that horror movie "The Freak" or the ticket lady's comment about this movie later on.

His bosses put him away and then, when his printed ads catch fire and turn advertising on its ear, they recruit him to write more. Only this time, he gets the others in the asylum with him to write ads, too.

Now, this part is funny.

What isn't funny is when they start to take the story seriously and try to shoehorn drama into parts where it doesn't make every single person out as some level of wacko. Drama has its place but not in a movie that takes potshots at Metamucil.

Moore is really great, this is his last really funny role since "Arthur". Reiser has some good scenes as does Hannah, Walsh, Paymer and Ruehl and then there's the ads. My gosh, has there ever been anything ever written as funny as these? Not since "Mad Magazine", really.

"Crazy People" is at least half great; the craziest things in it, though, are the people who thought it should have serious parts.

Five stars for "Crazy People" - watch it for the ads.

Rent This Movie. It's Corny, But It's Good.

Author: massadvj from Elizabethtown, PA
26 July 1999

"Crazy People" is about an advertising executive who goes nuts and starts writing "honest" television commercials, as opposed to the puffery and outright lies we have come to know and expect. Naturally, they lock him up. But, lo and behold, the honest approach actually works, so the agency enlists the help of the entire population of the mental hospital to write ads.

The ads themselves are hilarious, as are some of the scenes. There is one very funny scene in which calloused and savvy advertising execs try to write honest ads, but find they are too jaded.

The film could have done without a subplot involving a romance between Dudley Moore and Daryl Hannah. Other than that, it is definitely worth your time.***

"Who here wants to be a fire truck?"

Author: caschiffler from United States
4 February 2014

Crazy People was a really funny movie. Dudley Moore plays a man who works at an advertising agency and it is his job to come up with ads for companies to run.

The problem is that he starts to go nuts and has a huge breakdown because he wrestles with the morals of what he is doing, that is to say he gets tired of lying to everyone through his ads and starts telling the truth. A lot of the ads he makes are really funny and they end up going into magazines and onto television without his bosses knowing, so that when they are discovered he gets fired and sent to live in an insane asylum because they assume he's crazy.

While living there he meets Daryl Hannah who he falls for and a lot of other nice people with mental problems, and when his ads are surprisingly a huge hit his company wants him to come back to work, but he wants to take all his new friends along for the ride.

"Who here wants to be a fire truck?"

Big laughs in this movie!