IMDb > Coupe de Ville (1990) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Coupe de Ville

Coupe de Ville More at IMDbPro »

This film must be released on DVD immediately!!

Author: doobcentral from United Kingdom
15 April 2005

This film is an absolute classic and it is a crime that it is not available on DVD.

There must be something us film lovers can do to rectify this injustice.

This film is hysterical, moving and poignant all rolled into one which is a rarity in itself.

For me, Patrick Dempsey and Daniel Stern steal the show as the feuding brothers who constantly clash with great hilarity.

Sterns performance had me in tears of laughter, especially in his moments of rage.

A great cast, a great script and an extremely well hidden master piece which does not get the credit it deserves.

I can not really say any more than that!!

Excellent

Author: Andrew David Brown (andy3@cableinet.co.uk) from Gloucester, England
12 September 1999

This is one of those films that slipped by virtually unnoticed. It's a shame because this film is one of best comedies I have seen.

Stern, Dempsey and Gross are excellent as the squabbling brothers who drive a Cadillac Coupe de Ville from Motor City to Miami for their mother's birthday.

They get into lots of scrapes along the way, most on the actual car. Their fight about the Louie Louie song is a classic.

Funny and poignant. 10/10.

One of my favorites!

Author: Dave Kobus from NYC
22 October 2001

This is one of the best all time sleeper hits. I have yet to recommend this someone who hasn't liked it. A wonderful, brother film. A nice story about 3 brothers who learn about each other, and what they mean to their family.

One of my favorite movies ever!!!

Author: skhollohan from Canada
15 May 2005

Let me start by saying how i feel about the movie and what i think of some of the comments i have read. I happen to love Coupe De Ville very much. I am the youngest of five sons so I can relate to this film on so many levels. When I first seen it I kept relating to all the scenarios, all the bickering and all the heartache. it is a simple and truly honest film which i feel is extremely underrated. I have five copies all in different stages of condition, but I cannot for the life of me understand why it has not yet been released on DVD. With all the lemons that are released each week, Coupe still remains unconverted. As for some of the comments which I have read, I feel that some people may be a little too critical of the story. What were you expecting, an epic, historic account of a legendary world event with "Oscar night" written all over it! It is just meant to take you away for an hour and a half and help forget your daily troubles, and hopefully put a smile on your face in the process. Try to take this film for what it is, an innocent, funny and heartfelt look into the lives of a not so functional family eventually being brought together by unavoidable, undying love. Let me finish by saying that it is probably not everyone's cup of tea, but just give it a chance, you might surprise yourself. I highly recommend Coupe De Ville!

A road movie that is full of soul.

Author: Rohan Berry Crickmar from Edinburgh, Scotland
8 February 1999

Coupe de Ville is just one of those films that you like, but can't put your finger on quite why! The direction - by Roth - is straightforward and not terribly unique. The script is just the right side of sentimental. The actors are by no means A-League big-hitters. But this is quite possibly what makes this film so good. It is a film that you watch with absolutely no expectations. By the end of it however you know that what you have just watched, has touched some part of you that has not been touched for a long time. The trio of Stern, Dempsey and Gross are nigh on perfect. The beauty in their acting is, that they act just like brothers. They feel right as a bickering trio of siblings. But the real boon of this film lies in Alan Arkin. So often Alan Arkin has simply played a variation on a theme. But hear the bronchial tones of his voice are given a stage perfectly suited to them. It is with Arkin that the real emotional punch of the movie lies, and working like a super-extended episode of 'The Wonder Years', it suckers you every time. The pacing is perfect, the cast truly 'stellar', the music absolutely incredible. Besides I never would have known that 'Louie, Louie' was a sea-shanty, and for that alone this deserves viewing. A hidden gem.

The best movie that no one's ever seen

Author: Steve Anderson from Southern California
28 November 2006

I have watched "Coupe de Ville" nearly twenty times and I have loved it every single time. This is a textbook example of how great acting, a brilliant screen play, simple dialog, and clever plot twists all work together to form a wonderful movie. Every character is brilliant and original. It is hard to believe that I can still laugh at the same lines long after other more popular movies leave me bored and unsatisfied. The scene with the brothers arguing over the garbled lyrics to "Louie, Louie" has to be one of the best written and inventive five minutes of film ever shot. The relationship between the father and his sons is somewhat akin to that in "Big Fish." And the final scene brings tears to my eye every single time I watch it--the message and the subtle emotion is among the best ever.

I cannot recommend this movie more highly.

The three jabonies.

Author: Spikeopath from United Kingdom
6 November 2009

A trio of feuding brothers who haven't seen each other for five years reluctantly embark on a road trip orchestrated by their dad. There mission is to simply fetch a vintage Coupe de Ville from Detroit and deliver it to the family home in Florida. Where dad plans to present it to his wife as a birthday present. Tensions run high as the three brothers; one military - one dreamer - and one rebellious teen, must survive each other and ensure the car comes to no harm or face the consequences.

Coupe de Ville is directed by Joe Roth and stars Arye Gross, Daniel Stern & Patrick Dempsey as the brothers; Alan Arkin & Rita Taggart as the parents & Annabeth Gish drops in as the love interest angle. Tho holding few surprises with its basic conceptual formula, it's a film that can brighten up the darkest of days and really should be more well known. Anyone who has been involved with sibling rivalry can identify with the brothers from the outset.

We open with a sequence of them as youngsters, fighting in the bedroom, naturally. Fast forward twelve years and they undertake this journey that has cunningly been set up by the father (a delightful turn from Arkin), cue arguments and a number of humorous set ups executed skilfully by Messrs Stern, Gross and Dempsey. Along the way they of course run into problems and obviously encounter the usual array of interesting characters that tend to fill out the "road movie" genre. But the film is not all about the comedy, it has something to say, and it's possibly thru it's more serious and poignant moments that Coupe de Ville soars a little higher than your basic coming of age picture.

The cast are strong right thru and Roth has a very easy on the eye directing style, while the soundtrack is top dollar for those into 50s and 60s rockers. There's no new ground being found here, something that has in the past been used by notable critics to beat it over the head with. But I love this film, it has a lot of resonance to me, and ultimately it's as funny as much as it is a worthy message picture. Go on, give it a go if you get the chance, it just might strike the same chord with you as it did with me. 8/10

Clumsy but charming

Author: paul2001sw-1 (paul2001sw@yahoo.co.uk) from Saffron Walden, UK
5 September 2003

The premise of "Coupe de Ville" is hardly original - eccentric father gets his three sons, who all hate each other, to drive a car across America for him. Standard road-movie fare, then, and you know they'll all love each other before the end of the trip. Also, the characters are one dimensional (and, in the beginning, impossible to like), while the inevitable disasters that assail them are predictable and yet desperately dull and umimaginitively conceived. The continuous soundtrack sweetens thing up. And yet the film retains a certain charm. It's nicely shaped, not too pretentious, and oddly appeals in a cartoony sort of way - its almost like an adults' film made with the limited sophistication of a children's one. It may not be great film-making, but it's a lot more watchable than you might expect.

A Crime That This Classic Is Not Available On DVD

Author: darrenfrei from Canada
13 December 2007

I don't know who owns the rights to this film, but I am not alone on my rating of this film. I have checked the main page of this movie on this web site every 2 days or so. I like to think my DVD collection is full of all of the classics ever made, including very famous movies and the greatest movies that people have never seen. This is the only movie that I am dying to have in my collection. How is it that with Patrick Dempsey's recent fame and Alan Arkin's new Oscar (it was about time) this movie is still not available? The movie is absolutely hilarious, it's full of great scenes and classic lines. It's funny, it's emotional, it's dramatic, it's realistic and it's all in one movie. So rare these days. But, how do we get it?

Loved It!!!

Author: lmhoops from United States
23 November 2006

I come from a large family (4 brothers and 3 sisters) and I could identify with each character in this movie. The three brothers in the movie reminded me of each of my brothers, including myself AND my sisters ... The bossy brother/sister, the reserved brother/sister and the wild brother/sister. I laughed the whole movie and kept comparing the characters to my own family, including the uncle and the parents! If you have siblings you will absolutely love this movie!

I also enjoyed the ending and the message that the father tells the brothers, because it is the message that every family should share with each other and should live by. The message reminds you of what should matter most in your life and tells you how to keep it that way. This message should also be shared with other families.

This is a perfect movie for a family get-together, to kick back and laugh after a Thanksgiving or holiday meal!