IMDb > "Blind Faith" (1990) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

"Blind Faith" More at IMDbPro »

Absorbing, Poignant Story

Author: keylight-4 from United States
3 May 2007

This is a well-acted and absorbing drama, with appealing and talented actors. The piano soundtrack by Laurence Rosenthal was absolutely beautiful -- poignant and evocative. Robert Urich was very good as the weak and self-absorbed husband, and everybody in the movie was watchable, really. To me, the most tragic thing about the aftermath of Maria Marshall's murder was that her sons couldn't even look back on happy memories for comfort. In one scene, the boys are watching some old home movies of their parents and themselves when they were just toddlers. Their mother is laughing and playing with them in the swimming pool, while the father is roughhousing with them and laughing into the camera. But these sweet scenes are fractured by the knowledge that the mother they loved so much was murdered by their father, and they can no longer watch them with a normal feeling of nostalgia, or look back in sentimental memory at their family life.

Blind Faith

Author: duesouth1420 from Jamestown, NY
19 February 2005

Actually, I found this movie to be very good. Granted, it was long but on a snowy Saturday afternoon it was very entertaining. I say this because I think the acting was excellent. Robert Urich did a fantastic job as the self-centered father. The casting for all the characters was also very good It was intriguing how the whole story unfolded and kept me very interested. Also, I thought it was very important to show how the mother's death (and their father's possible involvement)effected the sons. It is one thing to deal with the death of your mother but to then have your father implicated in her death was done meticulously. The interaction among the three brothers was very interesting. I would definitely recommend this movie.

Excellent retelling of true NJ crime.

Author: jpaparozzi from North Carolina
6 September 2004

This is an excellent, heart wrenching film; I cry every time I see how devastated those children were with the murder of their loving mom and the trial of their father. This film, more than any other film depicting a true crime story, takes one through the tumultuous upheaval that a victim of a violent crime suffers(in this case, these boys are the victims of their mom's murder by their dad.) Other true crime story films depict the violence or the plight of the defendant. As a former prosecutor and prison counselor, I know first hand that the victims of crime are too often ignored by the criminal justice system. This film hits an emotional home run in telling the victims' stories. The relationship between Maria Marshall and her sons is the cornerstone of the film, and it makes one realize the depth of suffering one endures with so senseless a crime. Her beauty as a loving mother is contrasted with Robert Marshall's self absorbed obsession with himself and his needs. Caught in the middle are three innocent children, devoted sons to both parents, believing with "blind faith" in the innocence of their dad despite the overwhelming evidence unfolding before them. Despite its length (4 hours), the film and the book by Joe McGinnis are worth your time. The 20th anniversary of Maria's murder is September 7, 2004.

Well Told Tale

Author: Dominic Greenleaf from United States
10 April 2012

I'll admit, I haven't seen Blind Faith since it first aired on television 22 years ago and my memory of this 1990 movie is a little blurry. But it did impact me enough at age 15 so that to this day anytime I hear the song "Take the Long Way Home" I am reminded of a scene from the movie (still clear as day in my mind), where the 1979 Supertramp hit plays on the car radio while a bubbly Joanna Kerns drives one of her sons home. It's one of the sweetest scenes in the movie, which fans of Robert Ullrich, Ms. Kerns, true-crime stories, and New Jersey history should enjoy if they're in the mood for a vintage TV movie. The acting is top-notch, the characters likable and memorable, and the plot is intriguing (even gripping, given the fact that it's based on a true story). However, like most films of this genre—TV movies—it does require the right day and state of mind to fully appreciate and enjoy.

A Sad Tragedy South of Me!

Author: (sylviastel@aol.com) from United States
13 August 2006

This mini-series is one of my personal favorites. It was one of the first to show New Jersey not as gang-related or as urban but suburban Ocean County in Toms River, New Jersey. Joanna Kerns does a beautiful job playing the mother and the late Robert Urich does an equally superb job playing the father. The boys were played exceptionally well in despite of the growing suspicion of the father's involvement and his obvious guilt. He is still on New Jersey's death row and will never get executed in the state. I remember when I first watched this mini-series on television and later I watched it on lifetime. The mini-series depicts the story of a family who should have had it all only to blow up in the face of Mr. Marshall who arranged his wife's murder to collect insurance money. You can't forget Dennis Farina as the prosecutor in the role, Doris Roberts who plays the loving blinded older woman who helps with the boys, and Robin Strasser does a superb job playing the mistress who finally helps bring down Marshall. I am not saying that she wasn't guilty but you know that you can't judge somebody.

Good Direction And Acting

Author: Cottsteph from United States
5 June 2005

I found this movie to be well acted and directed.It was a drama that left me feeling a little puzzled.What happened to a marriage that seemed so happy and solid at the beginning of the movie?When the story skips ahead two years,something has happened to Rob's marriage that has made him unhappy with Maria.He's now obsessed with Felice.Obsession is probably too weak of a word.He acts like his very existence depends upon Felice's love for him.There's really no explanation as to what has made Rob stop loving his wife except a small inference to a better physical relationship with Felice. What happened emotionally to change Rob's love for Maria?What made him seek out another woman?I guess we'll never know unless the answer is in the book which I admit I haven't read.The late Robert Urich's acting is good in this movie.One change I would have made in Rob's character is more discretion.He comes out and pretty much let's everyone know,including his three sons that he's been having an affair with Felice.He doesn't seem to care what anyone else thinks.He wants to move her in the house right away. This is soon after the death of his wife.He doesn't show a trace of sadness over the death of the mother of his three boys.Why doesn't he at least have the sense to know that his cold behavior may look a little suspicious not only to his sons and family members but also the police who are investigating the murder.If I had been Rob, I would have at least pretended to be grief stricken even if I didn't feel any grief.Doesn't he realize how this insensitivity might be interpreted by others.To me he's sort of saying "I'm glad she's gone". This behavior opens the possibility that he may have some involvement in her murder.The relationship that the three brothers have in this movie is moving.These brothers really do love each other and are not ashamed to show it.Jay Underwood does a super job as Chris and Johnny Galecki is appealing also.The actor who plays Roby,David Barry Gray is outstanding.I cannot praise this actor enough.I found my attention to be focused on him throughout most of the movie. His acting is so good that you don't realize he's acting.He's totally believable and living the part of his character.He comes close to stealing the movie in my mind.He is not afraid or ashamed to let his emotions be seen by anyone.This trait is important in an actor.It makes his performance more believable.I noticed in the internet movie database that he hasn't acted in any movies for a few years.This is a big mistake on someone's part.David Barry Gray needs to be cast in another movie soon.I know I would watch anything this talented actor appears in.

so great this true story as i am here in new jersey.i hope the three sons are doing well,at least somewhat like mother would want them to be.

Author: ShaKaarii Melendez from United States
11 July 2007

the way the father was all calm through it all was too guilty for me meaning his WHOLE NON CHALANT UN CARING attitude towards marie's death. what a real creepy guy,handsome charming etc.but you just really DO NOT always know how men are,even some women too in the world as i know just by looking at this jerk that he was guilty as urich puts on a great acting performance.

almost made me feel as i am watching him that HE HIMSELF was the killer he just LOOK guilty,was TOO quiet through it all and too suspect to me when your THIS quiet with something so serious like this involving the ex wife,or wife.

i love this film,real passion within his three boys.great acting as emotional scenes regarding acting to look AUTHENTIC AND GENUINE for most actors in movies TV is hard to do but they pull it off greatly they just loved their beautiful mother so much.

i am watching it this morning again,try to always see it when it is on. glad the father was truly seen for how ruthless he REALLY is. JERK.

may the mother rest in peace forever and live through her son's always.

was so sweet the youngest one who had a kid at 17 years old named his first daughter after the mother MARIA.now that is love.

Blind Faith

Author: aarickasmom from Alexandria, LA
14 November 2006

I have been a huge fan of Robert Ulrich and JoAnna Kerns for a very long time. I never watched them on their TV Shows, but I have enjoyed watching them in Mini Series and on Lifetime Movies. I also read Joe McGinnis' book about this case.

It was a very good Movie. Great Cast and great Author. I like watching True Crime Movies but am always saddened by the tragedies that the real life People that had to live through these moments in their lives.

I just found out several days ago, that I am kin to the David Andrews in this Movie. I think he may be my second or third Cousin (if he is the Son of Actor, Dana Andrews). I have seen him in several Movies but never knew I was kin to him. I have a Son whose name is also David Andrews and we used to kid him whenever we saw David Andrews' name on TV, that he was a Movie Star. :)

I thought it was pretty well done - a bit long.

Author: aballen from United States
24 January 2006

I have seen this TV movie twice - and even though it seemed a little dragged out - I thought that the three sons were wonderful - not just as the sons and their reactions to their father - but all of CD) whatever, and he starts mouthing the words, and then recalls being in a car with his (now dead) mother, and she joins in the song and they spend a special time together. I loved the song, but I do not know who sings it or who wrote it, and would like get it. It's "hook" is 'Its a long way home". Can anyone help me on this? It is by a group I think and is on an album, but I couldn't catch the name from the TV movie.

Thanks.

from toms river

Author: truered713 from United States
9 October 2008

I grew up with the Marshall family. We went to elementary school, middle school, high school east and mass at St.Joe's every Sunday. I knew John pretty well and he was always a sweetie and really funny. My older siblings new the older boys better then I. The movie was good. I feel bad for John, Chris and Roby though. The father was a very mean man and Mrs. Marshall was never nice to us either. God rest her soul. I think Joanna Kerns is a great actress but I cannot remember Maria being so nice. She was very rude to my Mother on one occasion and my Mother cried for days. I will never forget that. I hope the boys do not read this but it is true. They where in fact the richest family in my school and back in the 70's and 80's they seemed to be very well off. I remember there home and it was beautiful. To bad the parents looked down on people that where not on there social status.