IMDb > Arachnophobia (1990) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 1 of 13:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

itsie bitsie spider

Author: colinwhitefan
1 June 2003

I have seen this movie a lot since it came out and everytime I still don't get bored with it, Jeff Daniels as Dr. Ross Jennings is great, lots of cool stuff in this movie and especially if you like those spiders. John Goodman was awesome as Delbert McClintock the local exterminator, this movie will keep you at the edge of your seat. Arachnophobia is a must see for horror and spider fans, its a nice piece of movie making.

Ewwww, Spiders...

Author: Ryan from King of Prussia, PA
13 February 2005

Spiders are not a favorite of many people, something about eight legs does not appeal to the masses. The movie Arachnophobia plays on the fears of an audience, while mixing in enough humor to engage the viewer with a standard horror story. Jeff Daniels plays a big city doctor who moves out into the country to take over the practice of the soon-to-be retiring doctor who has served for about 140 years or so. The Daniels' character is also scared of spiders, so when killer spiders enter the town, we have the standard ingredients to the standard horror movie. The spiders look convincing enough to scare almost anybody, and the exterminator, played by John Goodman, offers enough jokes to lead to an entertaining movie. There is nothing Earth-shattering about the film, but for popcorn season, this movie will not disappoint.

Freakish thriller

Author: jhaggardjr from Chicago, Illinois
10 November 2000

"Arachnophobia" is a very entertaining horror movie produced by Steven Spielberg. It's takes the fear of spiders to the next level. The film opens with an expedition in South America where a very deadly tarantula puts the bite on an American photographer, killing him in the process. Just before the body gets transferred back to the U.S., the spider sneaks into the coffin. Once in the states, the tarantula quickly mates with a domestic house spider and that creates the ultimate nightmare. Before you know it, a new strain of spiders have been born, that these little creepy crawlers are just as lethal! Jeff Daniels is excellent as the new doctor in town who hates spiders. He begins to realize something strange is happening. A couple of deaths occur, and the doc feels that these unexpected demises might be spider related. And man it's a scary ride to the finish. "Arachnophobia" literally gave me the creeps. And it's also funny. Many of the film's comedy is provided by John Goodman as the town exterminator. He's literally a hoot. The thing about this movie that surprised me is that I was pulled into the story right from the beginning and it kept my attention all the way to the end. "Arachnophobia" was directed by Frank Marshall, Spielberg's long time collaborater, in his directorial debut. Marshall did a very good job his first time out helming a film which looked like a promising career move at first. He made his second film, "Alive" a few years later (I've not seen this one yet). Then he made "Congo", which was one of the worst movies of 1995, and hasn't directed another movie since (at least not to my knowledge). But "Arachnophobia" was an above average debut for Marshall. He's got good potential as a director. This isn't a brilliant movie, but a good one. And it's lots of fun. One word of warning: if you have a fear of spiders, don't watch this. You'll probably hate it. Don't say I didn't warn you.

*** (out of four)

Arachnophobia is a good spider flick!

Author: Movie Nuttball from U.S.A.
20 October 2002

Arachnophobia is a great spider film that stars Jeff Daniels,Harley Jane Kozak,John Goodman, Julian Sands, and Peter Jason. The film isn`t really scary but its the creepyness that gets to you! Arachnophobia has good acting and it has a great beginning! Good music too! I recommend Arachnophobia to all creature and horror film fans alike!

Scariest Movie Ever!

Author: tayster12-5 from SLC, Utah
16 November 2002

I've seen a lot of movies in my life...too many movies some might say. I have never been so scared in a movie than I was with "Arachnophobia".

I'm terrified of spiders. I think everything about them is just evil. And don't give me that "They eat bugs" bull, I don't care, spiders are still evil. My wife kills the spiders in our home. I know that's pathetic, but she earned that duty.

See, I would've never seen "Arachnophobia" had it not been for my wife, then fiance.

While it was in theaters, my buddies all wanted to see it, but in fear of wetting myself in front of them, I told them that I had other plans.

Fast forward four years, my fiance & I were at our local Blockwood video store, looking for the perfect scary movie, and she finds "Arachnophobia", knowing darn well that I'm terrified of spiders.

She asks if we can get it, and I agree, trying not to look like a pansy in front of the girl I want to spend my life with. By the end of the movie, I was as white as a sheet and gripping her hand so tight, she couldn't feel anything in her hand. I seriously spent most of the movie with my eyes closed.

For that reason, she kills the spiders in our home. She felt so bad about scaring me like that.

I know that there are quite a bit of you that think this movie is too humorous to be scary. That's biggest load I've ever heard.

If you hate spiders, DO NOT SEE THIS MOVIE!

highly recommended

Author: Special-K88
1 June 2003

Dr. Ross Jennings is a renowned doctor from the big city who relocates to a small town in the country. Not only does he not fit in with the local residents, but he also has an uncontrollable fear of spiders which are prevalent in the surrounding area. To make matters worse, a new, lethal breed of spider has made its way from South America to their hometown, and produced a far more deadly breed that's slowly taking over their once peaceful little community. Exciting, creepy thriller with first-rate special effects, hair-raising chills, and an excellent cast. Not for the squeamish or anyone with the titular fear, especially at the film's nail-biting finale. ***

Monsters everywhere

Author: Raul Faust from Joinville, Brazil
8 April 2013

This movie used to scare me big time when I was much younger, and as far as I know, I've always been a fainthearted when it comes to spiders. I thought that, maybe after all these years without facing a spider situation, this movie would be just a simply entertainment to me. Boy, I was wrong. From the first time the characters see a spider I got anguished. After the first spider bite, I asked myself if I really wanted to go on in that journey. Jokes aside--I'm a bit serious actually--, I can honestly state this is a very well done movie. It uses an unexplored theme in horror movies-- at that time-- to create a terrifying story that chills almost everyone. Characters are well developed, and so is the plot, giving credibility to most scenes they built. Also, plot has enough elements to entertain you, even thought they don't talk/show spiders every time. Of course when it wanted to reach a climax spiders were all they showed, but that's the way horror movies use to get there, and I respect that. We have 103 minutes of tension, fun and jumps, and even thought we know or imagine how it's gonna end, it never fails in any aspect. I just don't know why they label this movie as comedy-- in my opinion, this is a very serious business hahaha. All in all, "Arachnophobia" is a surprisingly good movie that impacted many children in 90's and will scare everyone who has this phobia, for sure.

Scared of spiders?

Author: BringBackFear from United States
2 November 2013

Are you afraid of spiders? We believe everyone is afraid of the furry eight legged spiders.

If you are afraid, then force yourself to watch this incredible movie! South American killer spider hitches a lift to the US in a coffin and starts to breed and kill. This is one of the scariest spider films of all times.

A great cast with Jeff Daniels, Harley Jane Kozak, John Goodman, Julian Sands and more.

We'd recommend this movie to anyone who has not seen it. Check it out and you won't be disappointed especially if you have Arachnophobia.....

By the numbers.

Author: Robert J. Maxwell (rmax304823@yahoo.com) from Deming, New Mexico, USA
13 February 2009

It follows the formula as if in a Marine boot camp. Strictly lockstep. A nice young doctor, his beautiful wife, and two lovely kiddies move out of the city and buy a ranch house in a small town. The house seems to have everything they want. It even has a large, well-stocked wine cellar. The cellar is always dark, cluttered, and musty.

One after another, townspeople begin to die mysteriously. The young doctor, Jeff Daniels, an arachnophobe, thinks something is going on and asks for autopsies. The old doctor, Henry Jones, the one who refuses to retire, disagrees vehemently. Nobody believes Daniels. The people of the village scorn him and tease his children. The local infestation controller ("exterminator" to you) is matter-of-fact about the affair. Then the old doctor himself becomes a victim and Daniels finally gets his autopsies.

Spiders did it.

An forensic arachnologist, or whatever he is, Julian Sands, is called in on the case. He identifies the culprit as a deadly Venezuelan species that is organized like the social insects -- termites, bees, ants, and so forth. They have drones, workers, scullery maids, boot blacks, queens, and all that.

Then, more or less suddenly, the little creatures are all over the place, dropping from the ceilings, crawling into the shower to spy on Daniel's teen aged daughter, proving that they're not entirely evil. A final confrontation involves the wine cellar, Daniels, and the queen of spiders, now grown to the size of an elephant seal.

The direction isn't bad, given the idiocy of the plot. What can you do with a thousand spiders except have them crawl all over the place and leap at people from hidden places? What else can you have them do? A toe dance to the incidental music from "Rosamunde"? Form a twenty-foot pyramid like tiny circus acrobats? In case you're in any doubt about what you're supposed to be thinking and feeling, the musical score stuffs innumerable cues down your throat. Yes, when Daniels explores the wine cellar or the barn with a flashlight, it's a spooky scene. You can tell because the violins are going orgasmic with tremolo.

Jeff Daniels, by the way, is the perfect actor for a role like this. His instrument only has one note. Not that that's necessarily bad, because Gary Cooper only had one and a half. That marmoreal aspect fits precisely. If he were more expressive he'd have become screaming mad by the movie's end.

The film is bound to leave its mark on the history of cinematic mediocrity.

A Spider from South America comes to The US in a man's coffin and starts killing people in a small town.

Author: boondock_saint_la from United States
2 June 2005

This is a great film on spiders. I first saw this when I was a child. I am proud to say I have it in my DVD collection. This movie has two big stars in it that I feel give a good performance. They are John Goodman and Jeff Daniels. Daniels plays a doctor from a big city who is to take over as the head doctor in a small town. When he gets there though the old man thats supposed to retire does not feel his is ready to retire. John Goodman plays an exterminator. You have to see the movie to know more on it.

The story is pretty good. It may require some thinking. It is like this. The opening scene is a guy going on a trip to South America. After taking picture some pictures he goes to sleep in his tent back where they are staying. A very venomous and deadly spider crawls into his tent and bites him. They way this bite works is he goes into like a seizure for a few seconds and then he kills over. He complained of a fever when he was there so they though it was the fever that killed him. When they are shipping the body back to the US the spider crawls into his coffin.

When they get to America the spider finds its way into a barn. In the barn it breeds and creates smaller faster versions of itself. Very slowly people in the town die. The new town doctor decides to get to the bottom of this.

I recommend that everybody see this movie. I think it is a pretty good thriller movie. The spiders can look creepy and is a must see for any spider fan. Don't be turned off by films like spiders 1 and 2. Don;t let a movie that is over done with action and special effects like eight legged freaks. This is a good popcorn movie. So if you like thriller movies go watch this.

Page 1 of 13:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]