IMDb > Almost an Angel (1990) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Almost an Angel More at IMDbPro »

Completely taken by surprise.

Author: Ruc_A_Buc from Huntsville, U.S.A.
22 February 2004

I happened upon this movie just channel surfing and was just floored. Great movie from start to finish. Elias Koteas gives an awesome performance that just shows once again how he is one of the most overlooked actors in Hollywood. But what really caught me was the story and dialogue. This movie was wonderfully written. I would've never guessed Hogan had it in him. Enjoyable movie and I strongly recommend it. Two enthusiastic thumbs up!

Enjoyable and warm

Author: Lord Onim from Sweden
22 September 2003

Just like Crocodile Dundee this is a humor-packed film from beginning to end. Paul Hogan is as charming and charismatic as ever and the jokes are at five minute-intervals, enough to make it a somewhat serious (and sad) film.I am glad I stumbled across this film, as I think you will be.

It had quite an impact

Author: leftyguns2 from Woodbridge Twp NJ
12 October 2004

This is one of the best movies, I've seen it has all the essentials excellent moral plot, humor, great acting. I's like to see more films follow this fine example of what it take to make a film great. Now all this comes from someone who disliked the crocodile Dundee movies, so in order for me to go to these lengths to complement this film, and it's fine plot and acting attest to how strong and impact this film had on me. I found that the way humor was combined with strong moral content, and the way all the characters are portrayed, as being human with many character flaws, but doing the right thing when it came down to it. Among my most favorite scenes were the jail release when he terry Dean (Hogan) hits the switch and makes his parting, as well as the part where he has the cross lit for the benefit of a possible benefactor sure made for some entertaining viewing. A must see.

Requires a sequel

Author: daveb6575 from United Kingdom
29 June 2006

An entertaining story of a convict who goes straight, well almost. The opening scenes set the pace and style. And throughout the film it just gets better and better. Rated at PG this film gives me no doubts about my kids seeing it. They did, they laughed and they cried and then laughed some more. This has to one of the most under-rated films starring Paul Hogan. It is certainly one of the best he has written. The film is a good mixture of story and humour and any fan of Paul Hogan should enjoy this film. I had to get my copy from ebay because they have stopped producing it. As somebody else says 'come on do it on DVD'. And after you have seen it, I think you will agree it is worthy of a sequel.

Hogan's hidden writing qualities.

Author: Neil Ferris (n.ferris@uea.ac.uk) from Norwich, England
14 December 1999

One of the most overlooked performances in years goes to Elias Koteas as the paraplegic who introduces the 'born again' Hogan into the story of a care centre under threat of closure. It is sensitive and touching without being over sentimental or condescending.

This shows a hidden quality in Hogan's writing that Hollywood missed in his post-Crocodile Dundee movies, and is also in evidence in Lightning Jack and the part of Cuba Gooding Jnr. This movie may not have the charm of Dundee, but the comedy is there and it is certainly more thought provoking about our attitudes to the disabled.

A very good movie.

You and me boss, we make a good team.

Author: Spikeopath from United Kingdom
7 September 2008

Terry Dean is an exceptional career criminal, after his release from prison he is hit by a car whilst saving a young boy. He awakes in what appears to be a heavenly place, and much to his surprise he is visited by a deity and told that he is on probation, he is in short...almost an angel.

Paul Hogan will forever be known as the bloke from Crocodile Dundee, a highly efficient fish out of water comedy that became a huge hit. However, the sequels and his other subsequent film's are either roundly ignored or highly frowned upon. That's a shame because Almost An Angel is a very engaging comedy, the sort of picture that stands up like a Capraesque piece for the 90s. It's the sort of fable that cheers one up when the blues draw in and then turn into a blackly dark cloud, yes it be true, old craggy faced Paul Hogan has the gift of comedy. True enough the doses of sentiment are at times like a treacle itch to be scratched, but is that a bad thing? Watching a street wise criminal turning his less than honourable skills into a thing of goodness?

The film has many visual gags to go with the ream of religious ones that flow within the piece, be it Hogan attempting to fly or a quiet word about Elvis, Almost An Angel delights if one accepts the nature of the beast. Linda Kozlowski again teams up with Hogan (after the earlier Crocodile Dundee pairing), here she has very little to do but she slots in very nicely, even if a pre-end credits sequence does her and everyone else no favours at all. The best actor on show is the criminally undervalued Elias Koteas, playing the wheelchair bound Steve Garner, he exudes a believability factor that many modern day actors can learn from, where, the ability to act with just your face is high art if it's done correctly. Check out both the first and last scenes that Koteas shares with Hogan, great stuff that seems to have been forgotten due to the disdain shown for this particular film.

I rate it 7/10 because it hits my spot when I need a pick me up, perhaps that is too high in this age where comedy is the hardest genre to succeed in? But don't believe the low rating here on this site, it's a delightful little comedy that is far from perfect, but hell! It's a heavenly piece knowingly incorporating the serious side of religious beliefs.

Angelic Humor

Author: (trgusa) from Mt. Pleasant, Mi
21 April 2006

Paul Hogan plays a criminal who steps out in front of traffic to save a child, and becomes an Angel... almost. He says he's on probation, sorta... but what are you to believe? Is he nuts? Hmmm. Maybe. The humor and light-sided religiousness makes this film a delight.

Don't worry about being converted or anything, this is an open-ended movie with morals, granted, but also with that special touch of human bonding, and what it means to love others.

Hogan's writing, directing, and acting career spans just 6 films that I know of, and this is a lesser known one... I had the feeling at the end that it was looking for a sequel, or a TV series. No such luck.

Magical, humorous, charming, disarming, alarming, and inspiring... see it at least once.

Some Surprisingly New Ideas with Some Old

Author: Starrman-3 from Emporia, KS
18 August 2002

A lot of people will watch this movie and shrug it off as a simple comedy or even say that it isn't that great, but the fact is this movie does have some new and unique parts to it. The numero uno of these is the way Hogan's character Terry interacts with the handicap Steve. The lines in the bar are excellent to explaining how one should treat someone with a handicap. But they just don't stop there, they continue to show this throughout the rest of the movie. The scenes with Terry & Steve are priceless at times. But this movie has a good deal of tongue in cheek humor as well. Taking a convict and making him an angel of mercy was quite hilarious, like when he robs the fast food restaraunt to feed the poor and especially the scene where he talks with Charlton Heston as God. And of course the very convincing impersonations of Willie Nelson and Rod Stewart are classic. I especially love the scene where the police are interviewing the bank tellers after the robbery. The movie cleverly uses plays on words like "born again Christian" and periodically makes fun of itself, all of which work. The ending was both surprising and touching, especially since the whole movie you aren't sure if Terry had a dream or whether he really was sent back. All in all I must say I was pleasantly surprised by this film. It's too bad the world didn't feel the same way about this movie.

Paul Hogan

Author: dtremaine from United States
24 March 2006

I have completely enjoyed every single movie that Paul Hogan was in. He is a comic genius. I find it unbelievable that this particular movie is not available on DVD. His movies are not slap stick or like anything else I've seen. The things his characters do is just incredibly funny. Even years later when I remember something he did I can't help but laugh. This particular movie was funny as well as heartwarming. When he picked the fight with the guy in the wheel chair I thought I would bust a gut. But, he was just trying to prove a point. When he was shot with the gun loaded with blanks you start to worry, will he do something stupid and end up dead, or is he really an angel. My all time Hogan favorite. It has everything, romance, comedy, and will bring tears to tour eyes. I can't wait to find this movie on DVD.

Loved it!

Author: aquilotta1 from United Kingdom
19 October 2005

Someone else - who apparently didn't stay to the end of the film - has utterly slated "Almost an Angel". I, on the other hand, saw it to the end, and loved it. Terry Dean (Paul Hogan) is a small-time crook and electronics wizard who, as soon as he's let out of prison, proceeds to plan a bank robbery. But the best-laid plans... In this case, he gets beaten to it by an armed gang. And Terry takes a bullet for a child.

In hospital, an experience convinces him that he has become an angel. On probation. (The viewer is left guessing until close to the very end whether it was merely a delirious near-death experience, or whether it was more.) Charlton Heston makes an excellent God-figure: and probation is a term that Terry understands.

So, believing that he's an angel on probation, Terry is sent back to make a difference... and has to work out what sort of things "The Boss" approves of... Robbery? Maybe not. But what about robbery to feed the poor and hungry?

We follow Terry as he learns - at times hilariously, at times deeply touchingly - to fulfil the terms of his probation... This is a tale about redemption - not merely Terry's, but those people with whom he becomes involved. It's a story about death, but most importantly, about life. It's the story about a man's relationship with "the Boss", and what faith is about.

The film contains action, comedy, cops and robbers, tragedy and victory... No, it probably doesn't rank as One Of Ye Greatest Films In History. But it is a funny, touching, heart-warming, beautiful film, and I only wish that it were available somewhere on DVD. For personal preference... I score it a 10 out 10. And am keeping my fingers crossed that SOMEONE will decide to release it on DVD! Please, pretty please!?