IMDb > "Zorro" (1990) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"Zorro"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratings

"Zorro" More at IMDbPro »

Awesome version of the story

Author: Jan the Man from Las Vegas
13 December 2001

I loved this version of the Zorro story. It was such a shame that the show ended right when it was reaching a climax. Don Diego was about to reveal to his father and Victoria Escelante that he was Zorro. The episode in the last season where his lost brother discovered his identity was awesome. This series, unfortunately, was cancelled without a desperately needed resolution. I really wish they at least would do a reunion movie to tie up he loose ends, but unfortunately, it will never happen.

Great TV series; awesome hero

Author: Syed Mansoor Haque (smh16@aol.com) from Baton Rouge, Louisiana
22 February 1999

I began watching this installment of Zorro when I was about 10. I hadn't discovered superheroes or even comic books yet (shocking, I know) and to me, Don Diego was the coolest character on TV. He was Batman, he was Daredevil, he was the virtuous good guy without superpowers who valiantly fought against insurmountable odds, hoping to rid his home of evil. He did this week after week, and it was glorious. He used his intelligence, his wits, and had luck on his side. Also, there was emotion behind the characters. I loved the last few episodes (where he fought his long lost twin brother) and I also loved the episode in which Adam West guest-starred, and as Bruce Wayne's great-great grandfather, no less ! If you ever have a chance to watch this show, take it. You won't be disappointed.

Great Show, Excellent Acting

Author: skiesfullofstars from United States
27 March 2007

This is a wonderful version of Zorro! In this series, Diego de la Vega, played by the classy and intelligent Duncan Regehr, is a Renaissance man - artist, poet, scientist, and scholar. Fine actors Efrem Zimbalist Jr.,and Henry Darrow both portray Diego's father, Alejandro de la Vega.

Injustice in old California inspires Diego to become El Zorro (The Fox). He battles numerous villains as well as the tyranny of two alcaldes (Michael Tylo and John Hertzler), and is halfheartedly pursued by the funny and lovable Sergeant Mendoza (James Victor), who obviously admires his superiors' nemesis. The fight scenes and the fencing are fun and fascinating to watch!

There's a cute sidekick for Diego, his mute but not really deaf servant boy, Felipe, (Juan Diego Botto), a junior Zorro in training. Diego and Felipe have a great batcave, where they develop scientific experiments designed to aid the mission for honor and truth. Zorro has a gorgeous Andalusian stallion, Toronado, with intelligence and personality.

Enchanting and fiery Victoria Escalante, the local tavern owner. is in love with Zorro, and regards handsome but bland Diego as a kind friend. Diego's angst and desire for Victoria render Zorro - despite his super swordplay and heroic qualities - very human. Love for the beautiful Victoria is the fuel which feeds Zorro's passionate fire. Que lastima! Diego sees her every day and can't tell her who he really is. She looks for Zorro around every corner, and doesn't have a clue that he is right there in her tavern eating her tortilla soup! Figuring out how to solve this troublesome triangle is Zorro's most difficult dilemma.

The acting is excellent, with Duncan Regehr bringing panache, mystery, humor, and excitement to the Zorro part. In real life, Mr. Regehr is also a highly gifted artist - talents he draws upon with fine result. (Look carefully in Zorro's cave, and you'll see some of Regehr's artwork on the walls!) Guy Williams was terrific, but Duncan Regehr is the best Zorro ever! Patrice Martinez is a lovely and appealing Victoria, an excellent match for this hero. They really set this show apart, and create one of the most memorable romantic couples on TV.

Even though underrated, it's one of the best television series ever, a great family show - enjoyable for both kids and adults. Values such as true love, justice, honor, faith, family, respect, kindness and loyalty are held to firmly. (Good music, too.) Don't miss it!!!

My words on the "New Zorro."

Author: Jonathan (pjehle@capecod.net) from USA
6 December 1998

I got interested in Zorro around age 9. Since then I think Zorro is one of the best heroes ever. That is because he has character, true courage, moral values, and displays the truth. That is what I like about the "New Zorro" episodes. There is a lesson for each episode. A good moral lesson. Heroes today lack these characteristics. Even the new Zorro. It's all about Romance and schemes not true justice and values. The "New Zorro" portrayed the corruption of politics and government when tyranny takes over. The income tax is referred to as a "bizarre concept," and rightly so. I hope these episodes go back on tv. These episodes were a voice speaking out in our modern day of what good moral values are and what are government is supposed to be and ought to do.

Simply the Best!

Author: storywaters from United States
12 January 2008

The finest version of Zorro, bar none. Regehr possesses a truly unique combination of intelligence, athletic ability, grace, charm, class, discipline, artistic skill and terrific good looks to portray one of the favorite heroes of all time. Martinez is lovely, full of fire and passion, and is graceful and appealing. Victor is a lovable, clumsy, and ethically conflicted Sergeant Mendoza. All of the cast - Henry Darrow,Efrem Zimbalist Jr., JG Hertzler, Michael Tylo and Juan Diego Botto, do an excellent job. Sets are great, music is stirring, and the writing is superb on most occasions. Should have received more recognition, needs to come out on DVD. Not to be missed!

The real Zorro!The best of All!

Author: Francisco
17 July 2002

I have got this series and this is the real Zorro!This masked avenger is spectacular and his enimie Luis Ramon is evil.Patrice Martinez his fantastic in the role of Victoria,Duncan Regher has got class,his interpretation his superb!James Victor is good and he does not fall in the ridicul like henry Calvin in the role of the seargent Garcia in disney's version of zorro with Guy Wiliams

Used to watch it with my dad...

Author: Pythe from Plainfield, IL
19 October 2007

I don't remember much about this show, except that my dad is a Zorro fan, so we used to watch this when I was all of four or five. I remember it featured the hot Mexican lady from Three Amigos. There was a bumbling fat guy who looked sort of like a Latino Oliver Hardy. He was naturally the comic relief. I think there was a deaf kid who was sort of Zorro's sidekick. I think the episodes usually culminated in some impressive fencing. I thought the Zorro costume was pretty cool. I believe the theme song was the generic late-80s theme song they used on every action pack show at this time, that kind of passionate hair-metal-meets-orchestral-score music, except it had sort of a Hispanic flavor to it.

Like I said, I have great memories of sitting on my dad's lap watching this show, along with Rifleman and Star Trek: The Next Generation. Unfortunately, at some point there was a scheduling conflict wherein they started showing ST:TNG at the same time they were showing this, so usually we opted for the latter. Had we known TNG would still be showing in reruns fifteen years later, while Zorro would die a quiet death and never be heard from again, I suppose we would have rethought our decision. But you know what they say about hindsight.

Nice production, well done

Author: Jon Torino
18 April 2001

I found this movie and another at our public SF library and was happy to see them. This movie is entitled "Zorro, The Legend Begins" and offers Efrem Zimbalist, Jr. (Stephanie Zimbalist of Remington Steel fame is his daughter) as Zorro's father. The one difference in this telling of Zorro is his younger deaf mute companion.

The film starts off with Don Diego (Zorro) as a young man sent from his father's prosperous ranch in a small Mexican village to a bigger city to broaden his education and to train with a famous swordsman. Diego returns many years later, his little deaf mute playmate has grown up as has the lovely Victoria (Patrice Camhi) who now runs the local tavern. The town is controlled by a vicious "Alcade" (Michael Tylo) who taxes the poor ranchers and tax people and is brutal to them.

Zorro is being chased by the soldiers when he falls over a cliff and his horse goes back to the ranch to fetch Felipe (Juan Botta, the young deaf mute. As he lay there he takes us back through his memories of his life as Zorro.

We learn how and why Don Diego creates his Zorro identity and watch as he saves the townspeople from the cruel Alcade.

This is not a cheesy production. The costumes are well done as are the sets, including a glorious clipper ship that is real and takes Don Diego on his journey to learn how to be an expert swordsman.

I'm hoping there are many more of these productions that I just haven't found yet. The second flim in this series (that I will review also) is entitled: Zorro: A Conspiracy of Blood. Apparently these movies were created for television. They are all in color and about 100 minutes long (1 hour 40 minutes).

The Hero We Need

Author: Kathryn Harrigan from Riverdale, NY
12 March 2012

The New World Zorro DVDs are a wonderful find. Subject treatment is both savvy and thoughtful. Duncan Regehr creates a hero that follows a behavioral code that many of us would find difficult to maintain. Moral dilemmas are posed in many episodes that offer great opportunities for constructive discussion with family members. For adults, there is the impossible (but unconsummated) love story between Zorro and Victoria which receives sensitive treatment when Zorro finally asks Victoria whether her fantasies have made it impossible for any man to measure up to her expectations. The ensemble acting is great; so much meaning is conveyed by nuances and facial expressions. My favorite moment is when the evil Alcade finally discovers Zorro's identity: Regehr's eyes are so compassionate as he faces his obsessed nemesis. I wish that the series could have been completed to the end of the story arc.

This is Not So Good

Author: fcabanski from United States
9 January 2016

I can't believe the other reviews I've read. Maybe they're talking about the first season, before the move to Family Channel and the total cast revamp. But the Family Channel version of this series, "Zorro" leaves a lot to be desired. It has some good points, that's why it's 4 stars instead of 1 star, but overall it is pretty bad.

The main issue with this version is its swash doesn't buckle. Zorro is associated with terrific sword fights, and overall action. The version lacks both. The sword fights are poorly choreographed. Overall, the fights and chases are poorly done. Soldiers often trot after Zorro with their hands at their sides, not looking like they're running. Then Zorro steps aside so soldiers odd running from two directions run into each other.

For some odd reason the beginning of the series, when Don Diego first becomes Zorro, is saved for the middle of season 1. The becoming Zorro part is pretty boring. But the wrapper story, Zorro supposedly killed falling off his horse, wraps up with some nice scenes, especially when Zorro takes the place of a dummy used to lay in for dead Zorro at his funeral. For a moment, there was hope for the series.

The opening theme is weak. It's not Zorro music. It sounds like 80's techno music.

The kid who plays Felipe is an awful actor. He often smirks or even smiles when he's supposed to be reporting dire news, or when he's in a sad or dangerous situation. For some odd reason, he's often used as an extra too. For example, in one episode the actor appeared as a tax delinquent farmer: he wore a cheesy mustache for that "role". In the same episode he was, while supposedly off to get Don Alejandro, also a towns person throwing rocks from the roof. The towns people walk on the roof without problem, but Zorro constantly stumbles and has to walk carefully on the same roof. Old ladies, old men" they maneuver more easily on a roof than Zorro maneuvers.

Time and distance are oddly distorted. In one of the first episodes Felipe rides off to get Don Alehandro after Don Diego is arrested. Felipe rides off in a wagon. Less than a minute later Diego arrives in the cell. He looks out the cell window to see Felipe and Don Alejandro riding into Los Angeles on horses. Felipe rode home, told DA what was going on, traded the wagon for a horse, and rode back to Los Angeles in less than a minute.

This Zorro tries to be more like batman, Zorro is always conducting scientific experiments. He builds various contraptions and devices which he uses in his adventures. But he uses them in odd ways. In one episode he makes a scope with special lenses that see in less colors, but also with less required light. He uses the night vision scope to see food foot prints on a roof. WHAT? Episodes frequently have big mistakes. For example, in one episode Don Diego compares a note sent by the new Padre of the mission with a note sent by a fake Padre. The note from the real Padre is a note about a new species of bird Diego discovered. The note from the fake Padre is supposedly about demanding a higher offering from the land owners. Diego notes the handwriting is not the same on the two letters supposedly sent by the same Padre. But when the camera pans to the letters, although the handwriting is different, both letters are the same: the letter about the birds.

This is a disappointing Zorro series.