IMDb > "Wings" (1990) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 1 of 6:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [Next]

Wonderful And Underrated

Author: Thor2000 from Collinsport, Maine
10 April 2001

This show had me from the start when Steve Weber in the first episode complimented the owner of the rival flight company for getting rid of the life jackets to save money and hiring a novice pilot right out of flight school. Just when I think I've caught my breath, a voluptous brunette walks past and he blurts out, "Major Hooters," only to save himself from her wrath by introducing himself as his alter-ego, "Major Bob Hooters." This was the kind of writing and creativity that made this under-appreciated series a hit for almost ten years as NBC floated it all over it's schedule. Yet, the fans continued to follow it. The other thing that made this show was sexpot Crystal Bernard, a survivor from the last season of Happy Days. The show had an incredible ensemble of talent including Bernard, Weber, Tim Daly, David Scramm, Rebecca Schull and Thomas Haden Church who played the slightly annoying mechanic Lowell Mather. Replaced by the dynamic Tony Shalhoub as the haplessly unlucky Antonio Scarpacci, the series even became a cousin to the equally successful Cheers with crossovers with its best talents. Underrated for its time on TV, this incredibly funny and relentless series lasted an enjoyable seven years until Amy Yasbeck joined the cast as Helen's jinxed sister, Casey, possibly named after Bernard's Happy Days character, K.C. Cunningham. Yasbeck's arrival signified the sign that the series had run out of ideas as Daly and Bernard's characters got married for the marriage jokes and millions of Crystal Bernard fans lost their hearts.

It's Irrestible

Author: (sylviastel@aol.com) from United States
13 September 2004

Wings has always been a great show with a wonderful cast of colorful actors like the Hackett brothers, the Chappel sisters, Lowell, Antonio, Fay, & Roy but I am probably leaving somebody out. Unlike most sitcoms, the show is set in Nantucket, far from the Los Angeles or New York City which is another reason to watch alone. Set in a small airport, Fay and Roy are always a pleasure to watch. Lowell is a unique character. The fact that the Hacketts, Lowell, and the Chappel sisters have a history in Nantucket is also useful for creating great plots around their history. I have plenty of favorite episodes like the psycho Valerie Mahaffey's character in recreating their senior prom, honeymoon, wedding etc. I also liked Farrah Forke's character but she left one season. These actors appear to have a good time on screen and off-screen which makes it another reason to watch. I just watched the Christmas episode where Antonio's girlfriend is the wife of his kidnapper, the new air traffic controller, who takes him hostage when he takes his donut. Sure the absurdity sometimes is half the fun of this show.

Wings - the best and the funniest show I have ever seen

Author: adamik (adamik@biskupin.wroc.pl) from Wroclaw, Poland
29 December 2000

I think that serial "Wings" is the best and the funniest show I have ever seen. Most of series are funny only for the first seasons and this show was funny for all 8 seasons. I like all characters especially Joe, Brian and Helen. At the end of last 8th season Joe and Helen said that they would come back from Vienna in one year (that means that "Wings" should have been continued in one year too). Now it is 3 years, but I still hope that the show will be continued. I am so glad that polish television also give us the chance to watch the reruns. I am still waiting for new episodes of this great show....

Boring is Interesting and Very Very Funny!!!!

Author: dataconflossmoor from United States
17 July 2007

The initial response to this show is that it was a spin-off from the sitcom, "Cheers"; "Wings" was not easy to identify with, and maybe, it would last two seasons, three tops!! Much to the pleasant surprise of everyone, the superb character portrayals, and the exceptional writing to this series, made it one of the most popular shows in recent times!! The show focused on the Hackett brothers, Joe and Brian, and their unexplainable disappointments in life... The other characters followed suit!!! Joe, (Played by Tim Daly) was the super jock of yesteryear who tried to be perfect, he was only recognized in the small, one horse, town of Nantucket, and slowly but surely, even that fame began to quickly erode!! Brian, (Steven Weber) was the hapless Casanova who burdened his brother with his grotesque lack of responsibility in dealing with even the slightest matter!! Helen (Crystal Bernard) was the former childhood chub, now fit and trim, yet, she was still very non-motivated about her life!! Roy (David Schramm) was the biggest jerk in the world, having a halfway decent mind made this situation all that much more nauseating to stomach!! Faye (Rebecca Schull) was the conscientious and faithful worker who was an emotional Mardi-Grass! Lowell (Thomas Hayden Church) was the goof ball with a surprising succinct accuracy about certain issues!!(I had a friend, Ian, who was just like this) Those were the intricacies to being just the mechanic!! Antonio, (Tony Shaloub) he was the taxi driver who's life always went from bad to worse... Also on the show, were both Casie and Alex who were love interests of Brian's, they were attractive women whose lives were on the decline in one way or another!! When describing everyone's life in this series, it is tantamount to preaching apocalyptic doom!! These were lives which were besieged with unadulterated boredom, and, it nestled a kindred spirit with much of the television audience (unfortunately)... It is the element of monumental failure in everyone's lives that created wonderful cannon fodder for this situation comedy!! This show articulates copious aspects of lackluster behavior from always being defeated with the ill fated endeavors in these character's lives, and, the television show's witty dialog was written commensurately!!! The one episode which illustrated a domino effect scene, with regard to Lowell wanting a Kodak moment ,and missing the perfect one, because he was looking the other way, kind of summed this whole series up!! I love the T.V. Show "Wings" Tim Daly is one of my favorite television actors, and Steven Weber is so incredibly funny!! The writing was fabulous on this show, and the character portrayals on "Wings" are some of the best I have ever seen on television!! I rate this show 10 out of 10!!

A Terrific Comedy!!!

Author: dreamlanzer from USA
1 July 2004

Wing is a very funny and humble show about a bunch of normal people living normal lives and having normal jobs. But they are able to make something funny out if it. It is my favorite television sit-com of all time. When I say Wing is a humble show I really do mean humble. The setting is non-pretentious place on the island of Nantucket off the coast of Massachusetts. It is not your typical and played out Los Angeles and New York setting. Wings takes more imagination than other shows because they don't take place in either of those cities. This may be the most down to earth sit-com ever. The characters are normal everyday hardworking individuals. The stories tells about little struggles as well as big ones. The relationship of the characters to one another are realistic and involving. The theme music is also humble. I think Wings had the best and most innovative filming set out of all television series. The set consist of a lunch counter, car rental, two airline counters, upper deck for lockers, airplane gateway, stairs, an office and a hanger. The set just makes me feel at home because anything and everything happens there.

Now what makes this show funny is the normal everyday character who are smart and witty. The characters are neither extraordinary nor rich, they are the ones you can relate to. And thanks to the great writers, the characters deliver smart and funny dialogue. The writers come up with great original stories too. The show doesn't resort to cheap gimmicks to draw in viewers like physical comedy like Three's Company; sex like Sex and the City; pretty people for image like Friends; special effects like The Simpsons; ridiculous humor like Seinfeld; and crude humor like Married with Children. And we don't even need to bother mentioning the bathroom humor like the show Jackass and the other MTV creations. Reality sitcom shows don't even deserve to mentioned in the presence of the greatness that is Wings. But it is not to say that the above mentioned shows aren't good. They just don't have the witty style, originality and charisma like Wings.

Wings is truly a great show. It has become a classic already. It was Must See TV at the same time as Seinfeld, before Friends, Fraiser and Will and Grace.

One of the best shows ever!

Author: Rose-35 from Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
7 March 1999

I loved this show! I looked forward to tuning in every week to see Joe, Brian, Helen and the rest! There was just something about them that kept you watching. It was a shame that it had to end but 8 years is a lot of shows plus with reruns I can watch it again and again! Wings forever!

The Absolute Best and Funniest Show on TV

Author: ericdabomb (ericdabomb@aol.com) from Houston, TX
23 June 2000

I can't even begin to describe the beauty of this amazing show. I have loved every episode I've seen and I'm so happy USA is running the reruns. Every character is great and hilarious. I especially like Brian and Helen. I think everyone should check this out and hopefully you'll get into it too. Set your VCR's for this one.....

One of the greatest...

Author: Quills113 (monkeybutt56@hotmail.com)
5 April 2002

Wings is a very funny show. The jokes are great and the writing is superb. I love the characters and the actors portray them wonderfully! If you like Wings then you'll like Cheers and Frasier, The Golden Girls, Taxi, and Mary Tyler Moore.

Not much better than this.

Author: NHNeil from United States
24 December 1999

I believe this show got better as the years went by, except for the Farah Forke years (thought she was terrible & made the brothers look like fools). Even as I watch the re-runs on USA I believe this to be one of the best sit-coms ever made. I'm not sure any of these characters could have done a spin off and been successful but as a group I don't think you could get much better than this. I'd rather watch these re-runs than most of the new crap that's out there today.

Wings Will Send You Soaring High With Sentiment and Laughter!!!

Author: rhoward-14 from United States
11 April 2006

I have discovered Wings to be one of the most underrated and under-appreciated of comedy series that I have ever watched. The writing is crisp, witty and often warm. The main setting is a small Nantuckett airport, wherein a madcap cast of characters attempt to cope with a hilarity of usually self-created misadventures. The chemistry between the major characters, Helen Chapel (played by Crystal Bernard,who gives a flawless delivery of her punch lines) and Joe Hackett, is superb, and gets even better as the show has more seasons. Brian Hackett, as Joe's immature, misbehaving younger brother, adds by often creating the plot dilemma and simultaneously provoking his serious, overly fastidious older brother. Add to this an exquisite supporting cast, consisting of: an aging female flight announcer who's been through the deceased husbands; a wisecracking self-centered rival airline owner; a luck-deprived Italian taxicab driver; and a lunk-headed airplane mechanic, (played by a wonderfully deadpan Thomas Haden Church). In later shows, Amy Yasbeck appears as Helen's neurotically shallow older sister, and teams unwittingly with Brian to create more madcap, particularly in an episode where she and Brian give a surprise gone awry.

The comedy is only enhanced by several repeat guests, including a whiny senior citizen named Carlton; an old flame of Joe named Sandy, who forces him to reenact a "missed" high school prom; and even few characters who reprise their same roles from the Comedy "Cheers". Throughout the series, there remains a well-grounded sense of love and admiration among this cast of characters, which sometimes surfaces to provide unexpected, and often very touching moments. Wings is a series not to be missed by any true fan of comedy!

Page 1 of 6:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [Next]