IMDb > "Twin Peaks" (1990) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"Twin Peaks"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

"Twin Peaks" More at IMDbPro »

Page 4 of 17: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [Next]

quite simply, a Tour De Force

Author: clash_city-rocker-1 from United States
7 June 2010

Twin Peaks is quite simply a Tour De Force. It's a term I am hesitant to use. It's a term that seems to be thrown around quite often when talking about something popular. However trust me when I say that Twin Peaks fully deserves the honor of being called a Tour De Force. The show is like nothing I have ever witnessed in my 25 years of life on this earth. I'm quite sure the experience I had watching it for the first time is a feeling I will never feel again. It's type of love that is only experienced once or twice in a life time. That one single piece of TV, book music or what ever, that completely opens the flood gates of your mind to senses you never you even knew existed. The type of feeling you will spend the rest of your life trying to feel again, even though you know you never will. That's what Twin Peaks has done to me. It captured my imagination and permanently branded it self inside my brain. It is the most bittersweet moment of TV history for me ever.

Twin Peaks takes place in the sleepy logging town of… well Twin Peaks. When The home coming queen and the towns favorite sweet heart Laura Palmer is brutally murdered Special Agent Dale Cooper of the F.B.I. is brought in to investigate and solve the crime. However, The Murder or Laura Palmer is nothing more then a vehicle for the writers of the show to explore the deepest of human emotion and intrigue. The most Purest of hearts and the most darkest of Evil. Like an Onion each layer pealed back only leads you to more tears and even more question. But at no point during the shows run do you feel like the writers are just stringing you along for the sake of making a drama. No Cliffhanger is unearned and no answers is without its consequence. Like any good story its multiple layers can be viewed from almost any angle. The core murder mystery is enough to drive any viewer forward and for those who enjoy digging and dissecting threw plot points and foreshadowing Twin Peaks will reward you with jewels and diamonds you never even knew existed.

Sadly the show was canceled after only 2 seasons. do to the fact of ABC feeling uncomfortable with such an out there show like Twin Peaks. My recommendation for any first time watchers is, stick with it! The pilot can be a little slow to some and it's universe its introducing can seem down right ridiculous. However I promise by the end of episode 3 you will be doing just as I did my first time watching. Leaping out of your chair screaming "WHAT THE F**** IS GOING ON IN THIS SHOW!?" It will have you. You will want to know more and see more. It will go with you to bed at night and rise with you in the morning.

In closing Twin Peaks is a amazing work of American TV. Even in the year 2010 I promise you it will be nothing like you have seen before and by the finale episode you too will be cursing the corporate god's of ABC for not allowing such a thought provoking and mesmerizing show the chance it deserved. In short… you'll love it. Now, how about a nice hot cup of coffee?

Excellent with coffee!

Author: Shaolin_Apu from Seinäjoki, Finland
23 December 2006

If I had one vote only to select the best television serial ever this would probably be the one. Why I would do it is because Twin Peaks does not have lame moments or lame characters at all; everything just works in its own sheer weight, note perfectly. The story could be like any ordinary crime story but the twists in the plot will distort everything into something that seems weird but looks so real; it's all psychologically so catchy that you must have more of this all the time.

It has already passed some time since this was seen in television but now as another young generation has probably never seen this before I can guarantee that it will make it all happen again. Even those older ones who still fragmentarily remember the events and the twists will find the serial exciting as ever. It doesn't matter even if you know the solution in the end, what is real turns into surreal and it will put you to watch this for another time.

It's all scary, funny, intelligent, erotic and weird but nothing in excess. And the music. Nothing is so well balanced enjoyment as this.

both the show and the movie were brilliant!

Author: moiraine2002 from frankiln PA
10 February 2001

this series is a must see! david lynch is a genius! to this day, my two favorite charachters are "the log lady" and dennis/denise. david duchovny really is so funny in the few episodes he appeared in. kyle machlachlan was perfect in the role of Cooper, he was just bizarre enough to fit right into that weird little community! the movie was not as good as the show, but still excellent! incidentally,if you are an x-files fan there is a certain episode in which Agent Scully stands up and behind her on the bullieten board you can see a picture that looks suspiciously like Laura Palmer.

Highly overrated

Author: The Couchpotatoes from Belgium
16 February 2015

Maybe that in the nineties this was one of the favorites series for a lot of people but compared to what they make now for top series I think Twin Peaks is much to much overrated. I remember David Lynch's creation had a lot of people talking every day after an episode but I never watched it then when it came out. So now I thought I give it a try and I have to say that I am more then disappointed about it. The first season was not bad at all, with enough intriguing twists to keep you interested. The actors are all fine as well and the filming is more then okay. But what to say from the ending? That is really a bad ending, he must have been out of inspiration. If it was not for the ending I might have score it a bit more but with this ending it does not deserve more then 5 stars. Glad I watched it so now I can talk about it when somebody brings it up but I will for sure never watch it a second time.

Twin Peaks losing its plot

Author: Eugenia Loli from Bay Area
25 July 2008

Warning: *Some spoilers are discussed*.

"Twin Peaks", is a surreal thriller, serialized for the TV, by acclaimed writer and director David Lynch. The show is seemingly about the murder of teenager Laura Palmer, but eventually it becomes apparent that it's about good and evil and the duality of everyone, wrapped in a paranormal way. In many ways, "Twin Peaks" is a lot like "Lost": people who are not what they seem but are interconnected, deep mysteries, and paranormal elements that drive their fans into theory frenzy! "Twin Peaks" did it first: it put people into theory mode, it's just that unfortunately for it, the Internet was not widespread at the time, and so much of the glory was lost in localized conversations (aka the "watercooler show") rather than becoming an international phenomenon.

The first season was almost perfect. It was up to the point, interesting, haunting. I regard the second season being split into two phases: the Laura Palmer investigation, which is a continuation of the first season, and the aftermath after the killer is found. The first phase of the second season is not too bad, but it's apparent that things started to get a bit haywire with the writers, David Lynch having very little involvement with the show, and ABC trying to drive the project. For example, the Harold Smith outdoors-phobic and Japanese investor subplots where useless and silly. But you haven't seen silly yet.

In the second phase, 90% of the plot is downright silly. From the pregnant Lucy and her two silly men, to James and rich lady subplot which had nothing to do with anything else, to James in general being portrayed like a man whore having the hots of four women in 15 days time while at the same time he's supposed to be level-headed (remember, 1 episode is 1 day in the "Twin Peaks" world), to Josie becoming a maid (what the hell?), to Ben Horne becoming crazy and then sane again, to Leo getting controlled by a dog collar (!), to Nadine and mayor's stupid subplots, to David Duchovny guest-starring and appearing in woman's dresses. I mean, the consensus is that "Twin Peaks" lost its audience because the killer was revealed, but the truth is, it's lost its audience because the show lost the plot entirely, all by itself. I could barely sit through and watch the second season's second phase. I would pause it every 10 minutes and go eat something, or check out my email. I just couldn't sit through an entire episode anymore (except the last two where Lynch came back to direct).

The truth is this: "Twin Peaks" should not have had more than 16 episodes. It should have ended when the murderer is revealed, and should have replaced some unneeded subplots with some of the (rare) points found in the second phase, like the Lodges, Cooper getting possessed by BOB after Laura's murderer dies, the army's involvement & Major Biggs etc. And after the series' run, the three movies should have been created, just like Lynch wanted it. Only one movie was shot at the end, because by that time, the peaksmania had died down, exactly because of that disastrous second phase, and so the movie didn't do well in the box office. Maybe these movies should have been tele-movies.

In conclusion, "Twin Peaks" failed because no one could take the step "Lost" writers took with ABC in February 2007: to give an end to the series and not let it go on and on forever like that. If Lynch was to strike such a deal with ABC before he started shooting, then "Twin Peaks" could have become the ultimate series today (both TV and cinema). It's a shame really.

Too much for mainstream America's TV?

Author: bob the moo from United Kingdom
3 July 2002

When Laura Palmer is murdered in the quiet town of Twin Peaks, the similarities to another murder brings the involvement of the FBI in the form of Agent Dale Cooper. Cooper teams up with Sheriff Truman to help catch the killer. However using Cooper's less than conventional methods they find a mysterious world of goings on in the small town leading as far as drugs, deceit and demons.

David Lynch's television series falls somewhere between the themes of his films without the 18-rated content and a bit of a failure. Since Lynch's films don't get multiplex audiences it's perhaps surprising that this series was so successful (apart from being cancelled of course!). Lynch's look at oddities etc in normal life and his themes of things being wrong just behind the picket fences (see also Blue Velvet) come through well, as does his eye for quirky characters. Each episode had a cliff hanger of sorts although sometimes the plot spun wildly out of control. The actually twists in the identity of the killer and certainly the overall ending was maybe too much for mainstream America to deal with in a TV show but most of this is pure Lynch.

The performances are all good and link with his quirky vision well. Lynch favourite Kyle MacLachlan is good as Cooper while the rest of the cast are made up by TV actors on the whole who manage to hold a small town, TV drama feel to the whole thing that makes it feel that little bit more uncomfortable when the weirdness comes. Small roles from the likes of Miguel Ferrer, Lynch etc add interest.

Overall this is a long Lynch movie. Demons, drugs, weird characters all in a normal picket fence community. Very enjoyable if a little to much to last several series. Depending on how you feel about it the ending is either a superb place to leave it as it shows the power of evil, or a huge let down. I liked it myself.

WeLcOmE tO tWiN pEaKs

Author: Petri Pelkonen (petri_pelkonen@hotmail.com) from Finland
21 March 2001

This is a unique show with unique people.It all starts with the murder of a high school girl called Laura Palmer.Kyle MacLachlan plays an FBI special agent called Dale Cooper who comes to this little town called Twin Peaks to investigate the murder. All kind of weird stuff happens to Dale in Twin Peaks.David Lynch created this excellent TV series and it ran in the years 1990-91.I myself saw this show first time in 1991 when I wasn't even ten years old yet.I'm pretty sure I couldn't follow everything that was happening in the show back then.Second time I saw this in 1995 and the third time in 2000 and yesterday I saw the last episode of it.I guess it takes a few times to watch this show to understand it completely.There were many memorable characters in the show.Michael Ontkean played Sheriff Harry S.Truman, Dana Ashbrook was Bobby Briggs, Mädchen Amick was Shelly Johnson, Benjamin Horne was played by Richard Beymer, Sherilyn Fenn his daughter Audrey, Lara Flynn Boyle was Donna Marie Hayward, Harry Goaz was not so bright Deputy Andy Brennan and his sweetheart Lucy Moran was played by Kimmy Robertson, Sheryl Lee played Laura Palmer and her cousin Maddy, Ray Wise was Laura's father Leland and Frank Silva was the scary Bob.Who could forget the log lady and many other special characters.The show kept you interested from episode one to the final episode.This was very surreal and weird show and that's why people liked it so much.Now it's known as a classic television series. The dialogue was the best.Everything just worked perfectly.If you haven't seen this masterpiece yet now it's time to take a look.Once you go to the world of Twin Peaks there's no turning back.And remember;the owls are not what they seem...

Revisionist crime drama, black comedy

Author: (maxastree) from New Zealand
3 November 2015

Twin Peaks appeared as a two season television series, initially to soaring audience interest, and then largely ignored except for the art-house cult that like most Lynch productions. Some are excellent, others aren't; halfway into season two the show concludes the main story arc, making the later episodes less resonant, in fact pointless. However, Twin Peaks featured exceptional dialogue, tasteful scenery, beautiful, well written characters and a sense of intrigue and profound suspense, taking place in a quaint, idiosyncratic logging town near Canada, where a senior school girl has been murdered, for unknown reasons.

The crime is investigated by Kyle Maclachlan's character Dale Cooper - a clean cut FBI agent surrounded by likely suspects; failed, hateful lovers, corrupt wealth, drug smugglers, small town losers, a wacky psychiatrist and a handful of eccentric, possibly insane people that appear throughout the show, enabling all sorts of symbolism and dramatic experimentation in an otherwise highly conventional genre. And its funny.

The show is something of a revision (or parody) of the standard murder mystery/cop procedural show - these shows are usually overwhelmingly "masculinist", a central character (always male) uncovers clues using pure logic and reasoning, the story peppered with conveniently detailed clues and story pieces, structurally sound but rather cold. Lynch's Twin Peaks turns the convention on its head - the FBI agent receives, and announces clues from dreams, empaths, obscure eastern philosophy and other arcana.

In a similar vein, the shows clean cut all-American style masks a subtle satire of the very same American values as well as the consumerist, fussily-produced style of network television. Worth seeing more than once.

Damn Fine Work from David Lynch and Mark Frost

Author: LogLady25
15 August 2015

This is without a doubt, the best thing that I have ever seen. This show and then the rest of David Lynch's work is what made me want to go into film school. People say that this show was ahead of its time, and it was, but it still is. There's still nothing that compares to the beauty and mystery of this show. There are plenty of new crime shows that have twisted killers and brutal murders shown on TV. That was only part of the reason why Twin Peaks was and is so groundbreaking. The show was canceled after the second season because so many people stopped watching when Laura Palmer's killer was revealed because they thought that that was all there was to the show, but that barely scratches the surface. After Laura Palmer's killer is revealed, David Lynch gets into the part of the show that so many people don't understand. The supernatural element, The Red room,BOB, the owls, and the giant. Personally, I put most of it together and was mostly resolved to that being the ending, but I'm still very happy that it's coming back in 2017. I don't think that it was done, I just hope that they keep the quirky, dark atmosphere of the show. "Diane, I'm holding in my hand a small box of chocolate bunnies."

My favorite show, I 100% recommend

Author: Alex Stone from United States
25 May 2015

Twin Peaks is truly one of the best shows I've seen, every part of the show, the score, the cinematography, the cast, the clothes, just everything about it is amazing. When I watch it, it gives the air a feeling of magic, a feeling that is specific to anything directed by David Lynch. The plot is extremely engrossing and very original, and the show is often called 'a soap opera for weird people', a description I find very fitting. Even though the main plot line is supernatural, the normal supporting plot lines are interesting and relate able, and it's easy to really fall in love with the characters, and the very active cult following this show has gained just goes to show how great it really is.