IMDb > "Tiny Toon Adventures" (1990) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"Tiny Toon Adventures"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

"Tiny Toon Adventures" More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 4:[1] [2] [3] [4] [Next]

A great series

Author: Alexis (griffin84) from Kansas City, MO
7 May 2003

This was one of my favorite series. I used to come home from school and turn it on instantly, I couldn't stop watching it.

The plot was pretty simple: The original Looney Tunes characters have now become professors at the Acme Looniversity, a school for younger toons. What I really liked about this show was that they had so many different types of humor that applied to such a broad audience. From Buster's quick wit, Babs's endless amount of props and imitations, Plucky's wild takes, GoGo's wackiness, or Elmyra and Max's slapstick: it always brought a smile to my face.

Though some of the humor did seem a bit "mature" for such a young audience, it never stopped me from watching it. I just wish that they had kept making more shows.

Tiny Toon Adventures!

Author: Movie Nuttball from U.S.A.
15 August 2004

When this show was on I watched it every time I could! I thought that the characters were really funny and all had great personalities. The animation in My opinion was crisp, clean, and really clear. Not to mention beautiful! Most of the characters in this show are like the older Looney Tunes characters that we all love. These I believe are just as funny and as talented. In fact, Some of them are arguably funnier than the originals! The things that goes on in this series' cartoons are in My opinion nuts which that is what makes them hilarious! There are so many to like and laugh at and the silly things they do! If you like the original Looney Tunes then I strongly recommend that you watch Tiny Toon Adventures!

Movie Nuttball's NOTE:

If you like Tiny Toons then I also recommend Taz-Mania and Animaniacs!

A groundbreaking show. Seriously.

Author: lockemaison from United States
15 December 2005

It's now 2005 and 15+ years since this cartoon first aired. I haven't actually watched it seriously or closely in about 10 years. Now that I'm an adult in my 30s I can look back with a serious eye as I watch the episodes again.

In concept, the cartoon is partly an homage to the classic Looney Tunes but also its own original show. There are a few episodes that are structured like the old cartoons. For example, there is a singer that attacks Buster and so he exacts revenge on this singer's concert -exactly like the old Bugs Bunny cartoon. The ensuing cartoon is similar to Looney Tunes, just in a different era. If you look at the old Looney Tunes, they did an awful lot of stuff exactly like Tiny Toons did. The old Looney Tunes made a lot of social commentary and parody. There were celebrity impersonations. There were a lot of corny period jokes, slang, and dialog. The comedy was surreal and wacky. You can say this exactly for Tiny Toons as well. The comedy styling is 'spiritually' the same. Most definitely a throwback to the classics which hadn't been done well (if at all) in cartoons in the decades prior to this show. We recognize the cultural references in Tiny Toons and we can roll our eyes when something we don't like comes up. But the reason we don't think Looney Tunes are corny is because we weren't alive back in the 40s. Also, Looney Tunes was original back in those days but today cartoons are rehashed over and over. So it's easy to perceive Tiny Toons in an unfair light due to our exposure to current events and our overexposure to cartoons in general.

There certainly are differences in many respects - the timing, the delivery, and obviously the duration of the shows. They are two different styles from two different periods, being done under two very different circumstances - Looney Tunes being made for adults in theaters and Tiny Toons being made for kids watching TV. Even so, they did a good job making an original show with original gags AND still paying homage to and patterning after the comedy stylings of the old Looney Tunes.

Since Tiny Toons had a lot more time to play with, they had some genuine moments of great animated inspiration. You only have to look at episodes like 1 minute to 3, the baby Plucky toilet episode.. there are so many more. For example, one of the best comedy dialog exchanges ever animated is in ThirteenSomething when Babs and Buster are on the phone in a split screen, hoping each misses the other. The miscommunication is spectacular. Notably, the character development in this episode and in several others (usually the ones penned by Deanna Oliver or Sherri Stoner) is rather good. The female characters were taken seriously as personalities and developed, unusual considering the opposite is usually true for cartoons of that period.

This was the first modern cartoon that had lots of both pop culture-referential and self-referential humor. This was way ahead of its time. Tiny Toons really opened up a door for writers to take comic liberties that are so common in the cartoons today, instead of doing the boring old crap we endured as 80s kids. Yes, I loved Transformers and Thundercats, but Tiny Toons totally jumped away from all that. It was a breath of fresh air. Bakshi's New Adventures of Mighty Mouse may have been a precursor, but Tiny Toons made this surreal style of comedy cartoon writing a real success.

As a kid I totally overlooked some jokes. For example, one episode is an homage to the Marx Brothers that I completely ignored as a teen. Now I have a newfound respect for it. There are so many inspired gags that I never noticed that are genuinely brilliant. It's that kind of comedy that makes me think of Looney Tunes and Family Guy. I NEVER noticed that kind of comedy as a kid. I've been thinking this for most episodes I watched recently.

You'd notice these kinds of things if you actually WATCHED the show. Unlike some other reviewers here who I know are unfairly judging it, I've seen all the episodes and have thought about them thoroughly, exposed both as a kid and as an adult.

You can tell there was an awful lot of care taken with the voice acting too. I'm not talking about just the main characters, but the side characters were done really well and creatively too. But back to the main characters, some of the main characters were brilliant. Tress MacNeille had, in my opinion, her best performances in this cartoon. She hasn't been the same since. Rob Paulsen also did some incredible stuff here, too.

This is all not to say the show didn't have some bad episodes. It had plenty. It had a lot of mediocre ones, too. But by far it certainly had a lot of genuinely funny episodes. Especially back when it first aired it was actually funny to watch.

Out of 10 I give the show an 8.5 - and kudos for pushing the envelope and breaking down the doors leading to a new era of cartoons.

Best spin off series of the Looney Tunes

Author: emasterslake from United States
19 June 2006

Unlike the average Looney Tunes, this series contains characters resembling Bugs Bunny, Daffy Duck, etc.

Their younger, hipper, and have different attitudes.

Buster Bunny and Babs Bunny are the stars of the show. While they're accompanied by other crazy and funny characters.

Every episode is like seeing a Looney Tune short. Only set in the 90s and the gags are the same.

You get to see the old school Looney Tunes appearing in a few episodes every now and then. The Tiny Tunes go to Acme University to learn how to be funny from the Looney tunes. Often you'd see Foghorn Leghorn or Bugs Bunny as a Teacher in most episodes.

Best of all this is one of the earliest Spielberg cartoons. Because Spielberg likes Looney Tunes so he produced this series. And sometimes includes himself in a few episodes.

It's a must see series. And probably one of the best things from the early 90s. It only lasted for 3 seasons. And hope one day it'll be available to own on DVD. It's also something that the whole family can watch. Those who grew up watching it still love it, and the new generation may enjoy it too.

A Classic...

Author: Ginger87 from New York City
30 July 2004

Tiny Toon Adventures is one of the cutest shows I ever watched. I grew up watching them and I still watch them when I get a chance to on Nicktoons. The Tiny Toons were always there to give me give me good laughs and the characters are so cute! My favorites are Babs and Buster bunny, they are so funny and so cute. I also like Furball and I feel so bad for him. The Tiny Toons is a classic like Bugs Bunny and the Looney Toons. The Tiny Toons deserve a full:10/10 stars. P.S. Thank you Steven Spielberg for all the good laughs and thank you all cast members for your excellent voice talents on this classical show.

Good for kids and cartoon lovers.

Author: tweiss1981 from Pleasant Prairie, WI
15 March 2001

C'mon, people, this show wasn't THAT bad. I know it got a little preachy, had a lightweight premise and Kennedy cartoons (established by shuffling feet, cigar chewing mouths, and excessive stretching/bouncing), but past all that, "Tiny Toon Adventures" is a good cartoon. I watched it from it's premiere in 1990 until they stopped it in 1992. "Tiny Toons" was an attempt to return to making more respectable cartoons for young 'uns, and I congratulate Steven Spielberg and Warner Brothers on that.

About the characters: The guys in this cartoon fare nicely. Buster Bunny is neutral; not great, but not aggravating, either. There's nothing wrong with him. Plucky Duck is the funny man, and his straight man Hamton is always his friend/target (as in Batduck, where Hammy became Decoy, the Pig Hostage). Montana Max was definitely one of the better characters/stronger villains. Plus, Dizzy Devil probably got Taz some more recognition, too.

As for the females, well...most of them need a little work. Babs Bunny kinda sorta got annoying. She doesn't seem to have much personality (more than Lola Bunny of Space Jam, I'll give her that), just a whirlwind of impressions and voices. Sweetie Bird is no Tweety, actually, she's quite loud and tough! Shirley the Loon is a character with a valley girl voice and attitude, but she doesn't really seem to have a Looney Tune counterpart. Is she Foghorn Leghorn's, or maybe Miss Prissy's? Political correctness, I tell 'ya. Elmyra? *shudder* ...Let's just say that SOME Elmyra is okay, too much Elmyra is bad. That leaves me to believe Fifi La Fume is probably the best leading female character (still, she's no Pepe Le Pew, my ultimate fave Looney Tune). Take her away from the 'Pepe chase' scenario (trust me, they show Pepe just can't be duplicated) and put her in a 'Babs, Shirley 'n me' episode and she's getting my vote as 'Best Female Tiny Toon'. (good example: The Amazing Three)

Overall, I say give it a shot. You might just like it. After all these years, "Tiny Toons" still has a large fanbase. And hey, this cartoon more than likely needed to get the success it's had, otherwise we'd probably never have gotten other shows like "Animaniacs" and the like.

In-joke: (also listed as a gag credit) On the "Tiny Toons Music Television" tape they picture on this page, they have Elmyra lead in the 'Name Game' and all the Tiny Toons' names get rhymed except Plucky. (Don't ask why!)

Classic Show!

Author: crazychap from London, UK
18 November 2004

I remember when I was a kid, I always fancied an endless series of cartons, ranging since the dawning of television. The Flintstones, The Jetsons, the Smurfs, The Chipmunks (old and new), Teenage Mutant Hero Turtles (as it was called in the UK and in Europe), Batman, Tom and Jerry (both versions) and, of course, Tiny Toons.

Every time I arrived home from school (my father could afford American channels),I would watch the various cartoons aired (remember that London is 5 hours ahead of NY), re-airing of previous episodes appeared on WGN at 1030 PM UK time (but I usually watched them on Saturday afternoons) and was impressed by all their antics and jokes. The Tune theme, like those of the classics and TMHT, really influenced me and I would always sing and play it at music class. Tiny Toons was one of the shows that brought me to the world of the film industry and changed My whole life. Unlike most of today's cartoon's and even its succesor series Animaniacs and Tazmania, this one has a sense of charm and originality that stands the test of time, just all classic cartoon shows. One of the best shows of the early '90s and of all time!

Even know, living on my own flat at and in my final year at Cambridge, I would embrace many of those childhood moments and would still feel like as if time didn't truly pass. I enjoy the show now at the age of 20 every Inch as much as when I was between 7 and 9 years old!

The Best Cartoon Ever

Author: Brett Walter (StreepFan126@cs.com) from Santa Clarita, CA
2 July 2002

They just don't make cartoons like they used to. This one had wit, great characters, and the greatest ensemble of voice over artists ever assembled for a daytime cartoon show. This still remains as one of the highest rated daytime cartoon shows, and one of the most honored, winning several Emmy Awards.

Brilliant

Author: V-Money from NY
10 June 2001

One of the funniest and smartest cartoon series ever. Tiny Toon Adventures was one of the sharpest, wackiest, and most beloved cartoons of my childhood. Kids will love it for it's slapstick and conventional humor, whereas adults will get a kick out of its pop-culture savviness and satirical nature. Like most older Warner Brothers cartoons, the show was full of inside jokes about the entertainment industry, self-referential humor, some lightweight sexual innuendos and witty social commentary. It featured plenty of crazy characters, memorable songs and is definitely a classic from the early nineties. I loved it when I was 9 and continue to do so at 20!

Cartoons of the 90's: Tiny Toons

Author: FloatingOpera7 from United States
20 April 2006

Steven Spieldberg Presents Tiny Toon Adventures (1990-1993): Starring Charles Adler, Tress MacNeill, Joe Alaskey, Don Messick, Gail Matthius, Maurice LaMarche, Frank Welker, Rob Paulsen, Cree Summer, Candi Milo, Kath Soucie. Director Ken Boyer, Writer Charles Adler From 1990 to 1993, when I was 10-13, I remember coming home to watch my favorite cartoons, Tiny Toons. The premise: The Looney Tunes (Bugs Bunny, Daffy Duck, Elmer Fudd, Porky Pig, etc) are now professors of ACME University in a beautiful, grassy cartoon land called Acme Acres. The Tiny Toons are the students of the university. The lead characters were Buster and Babs Bunny (NO relation!), Plucky Duck and Hampton J. Pig. The cartoons followed their adventures as a group and as individuals. Sometimes, the episodes had no formal plot and worked effectively like cartoon versions of Saturday Night Live sketch comedy, including parodies of MTV and other early 90's inside jokes/spoofs. I was surprised at the time as I am now that director Steven Spieldberg was behind production of these cartoons. Dozens of episodes in the course of about three to four seasons. These cartoons were well-written and far more enjoyable than today's anime garbage cartoons. Buster Bunny (Charles Adler) and Babs Bunny (Tress McNeill) were adventurous, witty, and heroic, always managing to extract justice, usually when their rival college tried to humiliate them. Buster was practical, resourceful and controlled but Babs had a strong desire to attract attention and wanted to be a star. She was sort of like Lucille Ball. She was very animated in more ways than one. Their evil counterparts were Roderick and Rubella Rat. Plucky Duck was a selfish, greedy, scheming individual and Hampton was a sweet, clean and shy pig. Shirley the Loon was a Buddhist, hippie, New Age chick with a Valley Girl accent. Fifi Lefume was the female version of Pepe LePew the amorous French skunk. I can't describe how entertaining this show was. Admittedly, the writing was so good that it was really above the intelligence level of younger children. It was actually a cartoon that could be better appreciated by young adults and older adults. There were tons of inside jokes. There were references to Albert Einstein's theories, New Age stuff like animal rights (maybe PETA was behind the making of this show LOL) stuff about the soul, the Acme University theme music was in actuality Brahms' Academic Festival Overture and many other things. Another hilarious figure was Elmyra, a sort of female Elmer Fudd girl. She was mentally retarded and abused pets without knowing it! Another one was Montana Max, a rich, spoiled young kid who was a nasty piece of work. The cartoon series lasted for quite a while as it was actually successful and the ratings were high. They even released a film that went to VHS, "How I Spent My Summer Vacation" sometime around 1992 or early 1993 at the height of the show's success. I don't recall every episode in perfect detail but it was so enjoyable to watch these characters scheme and engage in adventures. I hope they can bring these cartoons back on DVD.

Page 1 of 4:[1] [2] [3] [4] [Next]