IMDb > "Parker Lewis Can't Lose" (1990) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"Parker Lewis Can't Lose"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

"Parker Lewis Can't Lose" More at IMDbPro »

Clever and Funny

Author: Matthew Ignoffo (mermatt@webtv.net) from Eatontown, NJ, USA
31 May 2001

This show was clever and funny -- and so the network really didn't get it. Some of the satire of middle-class "morality," school bureaucracy, and human egotism was too sharp for the tastes of those folks who prefer every sitcom to be a carbon copy of every other sitcom, all of which are Punch & Judy shows.

Parker was a bright student with a couple of loyal buds who constantly fought their way out of the snares created by the unimaginative world around them. The show was creative, imaginative, funny, and touching. I'm glad to see that it has a new life on cable reruns.

Mental note: Watch the show!

Release this now please!

Author: milesh from Cabridge, MA US
16 November 2004

I have only fond memories of this show and for me it set the standard for teen comedies when it was running. The later competing Ferris Beuller show didn't hold a candle to it. The site-gags were well done, the cheeziness of the show was an asset, not a liability, and it was consistently witty and clever; the likes of which hadn't really been equalled until the Buffy series arrived on the scene many years later.

Still, I have yet to find this in any video or DVD form. I'd really like to watch the series again (as would my then-college roommate when the series came out). It was a sleeper and still has a semi-cult following. It's a shame that it is yet another common example of good series' that keep falling victim to TV execs who only care about dumbed down franchise material and instant gratification.

What's the hold up folks? Put out the DVD boxed set now!!!!

coolness.

Author: NRG (n000g) from germany
28 July 2003

back in the early nineties, me and my best buddies back then loved this show. parker, mikey and jerry where kinda role models to us.

the show's comic-like presentation is pretty cool, so are the gags. it has its own style. unique.

nowadays, im watching it again. its even better now, because i get more jokes than i did when i was 9 or 10. :) sadly, i have to admit that season 2 isnt at the level of season 1, and season 3 is almost a disaster. way too much love stories. in one episode parker says "i remember when this was my show", what made me think "yeah, me too"...

however, its a must-see. at least season 1 and 2 are. coolness.

Ferris who?

Author: s8-10 (northaustinite@yahoo.com) from United States
15 April 2003

This show illustrated early 1990s teen life with a new at the time method of cramming humor on many levels into a short thirty minute timeslot. Parker became an icon for the changing sense of cool in the early 90s and saw the nation through a time of transition from 80s materialism and glam-rockers into grunge and "alternative"ism. A rare ratings bringer for the at the time newly formed Fox Network, viewers welcomed change from the mentally devoid traditional family night viewing of the era. This show held its own and managed to build up a decent if not cult following for the wisecracking characters and sight gags/slapstick. The first season was a comic success followed by 2 more seasons of half-hearted "doogie howser" type plotlines, however there were "funny" and "cheezy" shows in all three.

The vanguard

Author: mix-3 from Tallinn, Estonia
15 January 2001

I love it. I do. This, IMHO, is what a teenage/youth comedy should be. A perfect example of how a series can be intriguing, funny and yet explore the very real situations high school students come face to face with every day. And it does this without being crude, without offensive language etc. Having seen the series, some of the other similar series like Sweet valley high, Saved by the bell and, yes, Ferris Bueller (TV series) look like pale imitations and wannabes. Granted, Parker isn't for everyone. The surreal situations may alienate or simply bother some viewers. But it depends on the person.

Give it a try.

This show ruled the school!

Author: xaing9 from Tampa, FL
14 June 2003

Me and my sister used to watch this damn show all the time back in the day. We LOVED it. And we wept when it was cancelled. We WEPT. Most GroundBreaking shows do end up getting cancelled though. But like my old man said, "Crying won't do anything. You have to take action!" So me and my sister started a letter writing campaign to get this show brought back. Of course, we started said campaign last week, but you never know! you never, NEVER know!!!

Very much ahead of its time

Author: Apogee_
24 August 2002

"Parker Lewis" was a very unusual show, and that's probably also the reason why it only lasted 3 seasons. The show revolves around the life of the main character Parker (the trendy guy), and his pals, Mikey (the cool guy), Jerry (the nerdy guy) and later on also Kubiac (the bully guy, who turned out to be all right).

It's all about being a teenager, and all what comes with it, love, trouble with the parents, making choices etc. What makes the show unique is the stories, and more importantly how they are told. It's hard to explain really, but it's something out of the ordinary, and it definately worth checking out.

Even though the show didn't last very long, it did help make the way for other brilliant children/young adult shows such as "Eerie Indiana" and "The Adventures of Pete and Pete".

Mental Note: A great show

Author: aplato from Portland, OR
29 September 2002

Somebody happened to say "coolness" to me yesterday who was wearing this obnoxious shirt, and it made me instantly remember this show. I religiously watched this show in college. The first season is nothing short of pure genius. Absolutely helarious with irreverant characters, whacky plots, and some camera work that rivals the Cohen brothers in Raising Arizona.

Every now and then you can catch somebody on Ebay selling off the entire show on VHS. If you get a chance to see an episode, don't miss it. Its genuinely funny stuff.

However, beware the 3rd season. The show's popularity seemed to cause it troubles with the Studio Execs so they retooled the show in the 3rd season and killed off a lot of its charm. Most of the 3rd season episodes are booooooring standard sit-com fair.

A witty, insightful series but with the right dose of humour

Author: BCY from NSW, Australia
11 November 1998

A superb series which only lasted for three seasons. Each episode was meaningful and whilst there were sight gags, the series developed into monologues about relationships, which was handled in a humorous and witty manner. The characters evolved and in particular, Kubiac went from being a brute to someone with a three dimensional character who actually had feelings and emotions.

One of the most memorable series of the '90s

Author: Adam Dobay from Budapest, Hungary
22 February 2005

Although "Parker Lewis" was not a very long-running series, it shortly became very popular in my home country Hungary when it was bought by channel TV2. It took stock characters and stereotypes to the very limit of reality, while the creators successfully avoided clichés and kept focusing on the consistent high quality of the jokes, whether textual or visual. After multiple reruns, this show still leaves a nostalgic feeling in just about everyone who had spent their tens and twenties in the time the show was aired around Europe. The unique style and exceptionally good sitcom humour of Parker Lewis makes it one of the most outstanding comic series of the nineties. You can still hear people quoting the series and synchronizing their watches every now and then. Should it be released on DVD (as it is rumoured by an online petition), the producing Columbia Tri-Star can make sure that there will be many orders from Hungary and from Europe as a whole. Hope we get a release soon.