IMDb > "Parenthood" (1990) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

"Parenthood" More at IMDbPro »

Can this really be the only comment?

Author: jewoods (jewoods@hotmail.com) from Hollywood, CA
26 March 2005

Seriously, can this really be the only comment? This was a short-lived TV show but it was from a very good, popular movie. I just watched the premiere episode today on an old tape I dug up and it really wasn't that bad. In fact, this had the basics of a popular long running show. The first thing, this was a 60 minute serio-comedy, not a 30 minute sitcom (with laugh track) as reported here on IMDb. If anything this show was either ahead of it's time and/or just ill-timed. But a meaty one hour format with a large ensemble cast (this one spanning 4 generations) with thoughtful relevant writing seems to be the way things have gone since then if you think about it. Looking backwards at this one it had a pretty nifty cast including Leonardo DiCaprio, Thora Birch, David Arquette and of course Ed Begley Jr. If you ever see an episode you'll recognize some of the other faces too. Maybe the problem was the "Parenthood" name. A whole new name and tack might have given this show the extra push it needed to build a little following. I doubt if this show will ever rear it's head again but I thought it was good enough to warrant AT LEAST ONE COMMENT!

TV to movies and back

Author: Aldo Renato from United States
3 March 2010

From what I've read over the years, Parenthood was conceived as a series in the late 1980s but never got picked up by the networks. It was then turned into a movie and, after the movie was a hit, relaunched as a series...??!! The series came and went despite a great cast of TV actors (any couple can relate to Ed Begley Jr. and Jayne Atkinson as parents and/or William Windom and Sheila McRae as grandparents, not to mention Leonardo DiCaprio and Thora Birch among the children). Add into this Ron Howard and his partner Brian Grazer and at least five other people credited as executive producers. This show should've clicked as a series but it didn't...??!! 20 years later, it's back...different cast and the same producers...let's see what happens this time around!! This was a great series that should've worked. My wife and I saw the movie and every episode of the series and, as previously stated, we related to the Begley-Atkinson couple. Let's see if 20 years have changed things.

Tendencies to be rehashed in life as in Entertainment.

Author: Stebaer4 from United States
12 May 2006

Yes,cute but like most TV series'of which are inspired by theater movies tend to be rehashes not just of the movie itself but itself on the whole too and of which is why they do usually tend to get canceled quickly too.the 1st episode rehashed the boy in the cowboy hat & gun holster scene with the boy in diving mask & flippers scene. I saw each episode of this short lived series except for the last one of which was the Christmas one.But as anyone could tell especially with the holiday themed episodes is if those were made to celebrate the same holidays again in another season then they'd chances are rehash the previous ones of the same holidays.so if you see the Halloween,Thanksgiving & Christmas ones then you'd agree.As you'll also see the premise is also cute but still very limited limited too.Also look in to this to see how Leonardo Di Caprio was both before he got "Growing Pains" as well as before his career got to be "Titanic".The boy who played Young Gil in the movie had played Kevin on the TV Show.Truthfully, Stephen "Steve" G. Baer a.k.a. "Ste".