IMDb > "Northern Exposure" (1990) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 6 of 6: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6]

What is the deal with the Doug Ballard listed as being all all NE episodes

Author: rsmith24 from United States
31 January 2007

What's the deal with this "Doug Ballard listed as being in all of the Northern Exposure episodes? As someone who's seen every episode several times, I can vaguely recall him in a couple of episodes, but certainly no more than 10 and he certainly wasn't an important character.

BUT Because he is listed as being in all the episodes, he is listed 2nd on the cast listing BEFORE the main series star Rob Morrow, and before the other Series stars - John Corbett, Barry Corbin, John Cullen, Darren Burrows, Janine Turner, and the series regulars Marilyn Whirlwind and Peg Phillips.

These people made Northern Exposure what is was, not Doug Ballard.

It may seem trivial, but the stars listed above spent 6 years working on this great series and the data needs to reflect their work correctly.

So-so

Author: SanteeFats from United States
18 April 2013

I loved the first three seasons. The reason I gave it a five overall was because of the last three seasons.Great humor, the sexual tension between Maggie O'Connell and Joel Fleischman is hilarious, and the overall writing was excellent. I would give the first three seasons a 9+. After season three things started going down hill. I started to detest John Corbett's character Chris some where in season two, his pseudo intellectual, smarmy, spaced out deliveries especially those on air sucked. Morris Minifield is a bigoted, nouveau riche, I am better than everyone and if not I can buy him or run them out of town. As the show went on he got worse. Ed is just strange. I liked Ruth Ann, Holling, and Walt when he showed up in the show. The romance between he and Ruth Ann was one of the high lights of the last couple of seasons. Fleischman going totally native at the end was stupid in my opinion. Season six really went downhill, O'Connell becoming mayor, the new doctor and his wife, and all the rest had lost any humor or effective interaction. I really regret the diminished writing and there for the acting that bombed with a lot of the characters.

A DIFFERENT LAST EPISODE.....

Author: gary renfield (gary_renfield@email.com)
2 August 2001

This may be an inappropriate place for a link, but as a loving fan and student of Northern Exposure, I'd like to share a fan's idea of closure. The final show provided by the 'powers' was very unsatisfying.

I've received alot of very nice emails concerning my story. I tried to make it a 'fun' read, something lacking in some of the others I've read. There is NO financial gain for me, it's a labor of love... Check it out... I call it....THE EAGLE HAS LANDED... and it should give you an unexpected original dose of Cicely .....

RetroWeb Classic Television: Northern Exposure http://www.retroweb.com/nexp.html

ENJOY....

Good show that ended too soon

Author: lupe65 from El Paso, TX usa
23 January 2001

I never did like the way "Northern Exposure" ended. Why are creator's of successful television shows and movies afraid of happy and believable endings?

The end of NE with Rob Morrow had him walking through some wilderness in Alaska and stepping into Manhattan! What was that all about? A little over done on the fantasy part. To top all, he leaves Maggie behind.

Here is the way I think "Northern Exposure" should have ended. First off, Dr. Joel Fleischman fulfills his contractual obligations to Maurice and the little town of Cicely and establishes a very successful practice in Manhattan.

Of course the man marries Maggie O'Connell and they live in a nice apartment next to Central Park and have two kids. One a boy that looks a lot like Joel. The other a girl who obviously looks like Maggie. The rest of Maggie's dreams and aspirations are fulfilled marrying Joel and living the good life in the city of New York.

The town of Cicely gets a happy and dedicated doctor couple and staff who run the new clinic that was built and named after Maurice Minnifield with his gracious endowment.

Sadly, Maurice finds he has terminal cancer and the man does a complete about face with his greed and riches. So, Maurice becomes the complete opposite of the character he was on the show. He realizes he has led a successful and fulfilled life and wants to die happy and leave those who were always close to him happy. Maurice leaves his house to his close friend Holling Vincoeur and Shelly Tambo Vincoeur and their little daughter who stay in Cicely keeping the Brick in business. The Brick is now a major tourist attraction for the town.

Maurice also leaves a very generous amount for the movie making aspirations of Ed Chigliak who attends one of the best film schools on the West Coast. Ed later becomes the creator of some of the country's most successful films that have an environmental and Native American theme throughout. Films that are both suspenseful and thought provoking.

Maurice leaves another big chunk of his money to help out Disabled American Veterans. Another big part goes to Native American social concerns in Alaska and the Northwest that is overlooked by a Tribal council that is headed by Marilyn Whirlwind.

Chris Stevens with his insightful commentary and through Maurice's connections gets a job at a radio station in Seattle or San Francisco or in New England. His radio show, liked by many through out the country for raising the environmental and social consciousness of North America, becomes nationally syndicated on NPR.

Adam and Eve with their one healthy kid, are living off the land in Alaska as Adam is the head of a popular Green movement in the state. He works out of his office in his log cabin home. They do a lot of traveling through out the world raising environmental concerns and issues.

Ruth-Anne stays as the proud owner of her little five and dime in Cicely and lives well into her nineties with Walt.

See? That was not so difficult. It would have to be such an ending as this, so as to keep with Northern Exposure's positive sense of community. Now if only the rest of America would wake up.

Better without Rob Morrow!

Author: (sylviastel@aol.com) from United States
23 April 2007

Rob Morrow as the typical uptight Jewish New York City doctor gets relocated to Cicely, Alaska. The show was filmed around Seattle, Washington. While I love the beauty of Alaska, Morrow's role was nauseating, neurotic, and stereotypical. He hates his assignment. It's too far from everywhere, Seattle is the nearest city. What about Vancouver? That's where they shoot Men in Trees now. Fortunately, the show's stellar supporting cast like Peg Phillips as the general store owner, Ruth Anne Miller was unforgettable, Cynthia Geary, John Corbett became a longtime Seattle resident, John Corbin, Janine Turner, and other cast members loved the locale of their show so much that they based themselves there. Who wouldn't love Seattle and the Snohomish Mountains or Alaska? Now they can be seen on DVD, season by season. But for several seasons, Monday night was the place to be to curl and watch Northern Exposure.

Overrated

Author: Katerina Robertovla from United States
1 February 2013

Don't believe the hype. This show is overrated. I could only watch a few episodes. What turned me off the most was the constant bickering between Maggie O'Connell and Dr. Fleischman. Why didn't they make a show about people from Alaska? I would love to have seen that show. Why did they have to put this whining Dr. Fleischman next to all these (mostly) content townspeople? You don't need a spoiled New Yorker to make the show interesting. Maybe Maggie would have been more appealing if that kvetch the doctor was out of the picture. The characters I would have enjoyed seeing more of were Ed. What a terrific actor. What hair that guy had. I also enjoyed the radio announcer, Chris. He was believable and had a terrific voice. Marilyn's character was delightful also. See? Would these characters make a great TV show? Maybe after all these years they'll do a real character-driven show in Alaska. And, maybe they should do a sitcom with Dr. Fleischman as a stand up comedian.

A big disappointment

Author: toberwino from Northern Ireland
31 December 2010

I had never seen this series when I saw the DVD of season 1 on offer. I checked IMDb and saw it had an 8+ rating and was listed as Comedy/Drama so I purchased it. I have watched the full DVD and don't think I laughed once - comedy? Someone is joking. It is a corny, predictable, third rate drama. Some of the characters are really weak and unbelievable - for example, Maurice the astronaut? It must have been part of the program to send chimps into space. The best part of the series is the occasional glimpse of Alaskan scenery. I would suggest you avoid this unless you are really bored and have watched all the other DVDs in your collection.

An aged and boring once cutting edge hour show.

Author: jkd15-1 from United States
26 July 2008

I used to watch this with some frequency. Unfortunately, time has not helped this once great program.

This show has gone into a time warp and reappeared 20 years later without the same punch it once had.

I find it now to be slow moving and not very engrossing as it once was.

I think the evolution of TV shows and their quick scene changes and edge of seat action has ruined this show.

I was somewhat bored watching and found myself drifting off into doing other things while it played in the background and then eventually turned it off without finishing.

Maybe it was the episode I was watching. The one where the doctor got a dear john letter. Lots of dream and imaginative scenes that left me snoring.

Chris's narrative and psycho babble seemed corny and assumptive to me 20 years later.

Maybe I need another 20 years and then give it another view.

grossly overrated

Author: R W from michigan
9 February 2007

I don't understand... I always remember this show as being a cerebral and highly-regarded sitcom from my youth, and after re-watching season one I have to say that the only reason I continue to watch is because of the comments I found on this site (which are surprisingly well- written). Though the writing may be decent (is it, really?) I find the acting to be sub-standard and the protagonist to be dislikeable at best (irreconcilably so, not in the seinfeldian/ undeclared way), the plots awkward... where is the redeeming value here? The contrived love interests? the awkward portrayal of locals? Maybe it is an age issue. I am 25 years old now and find this program nearly unwatchable (except in an ironic way, of course, but isn't everyone sick of that by now?). What are we comparing this to? two guys, a girl, and a pizza place? I could knock my score up to a five, in that case. When it comes to people who are looking for a reasonable sitcom, northern exposure proves itself to be dated and lacking in any high points whatsoever. Rob Morrow is such a disgusting character in the show... maybe this show is funny to 'new-yorkers'.

Page 6 of 6: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6]