IMDb > "Northern Exposure" (1990) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"Northern Exposure"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

"Northern Exposure" More at IMDbPro »

Page 4 of 6: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [Next]

May be one of the GREATEST shows ever...

Author: josephmcclellan74 from United States
27 November 2006

With the holiday season currently in-tow, I couldn't resist the urge to pick up the first season of this show. After only the first 3 episodes, I'm reminded that art is truly impactful when a person can remember every detail of it when experienced from a young age. I'm in love all over again. I'm already planning my first trip to Alaska and scheduling it for the Spring of 2007.

The only downside to this show; I'll never be as cool as Chris or Ed. Only as cool as Joel.

Does anyone know why the cast, network, or the devil himself pulled the show?

Twin Peaks is the only comparable series that I can think of. Where else can you find humor in the term 'Macinstosh?'

Still fresh

Author: mattsinc from United States
16 May 2006

Years later, watching the DVDs or tapes I have of the episodes, I still love seeing the characters' relationships develop and evolve. Like those on the West Wing, these characters felt almost fully formed in the pilot episode, yet they still grow and change, as the best characters do. No matter how many cameos he does in other shows, John Cullum will always be Holling to me. Sure, John Corbett has made a nice career for himself with Greek Wedding and Sex and the City, but he'll be hard-pressed to play a more interesting character than Chris in the Morning. Perhaps the mark of a great ensemble cast is that they don't fit properly anywhere else, at least not for several years. Rob Morrow has finally re-emerged in Numbers, and the beautiful Janine Turner became a doctor on Lifetime, but neither have found the spark that they shared as Dr. Joel Fleishmann and Maggie O'Connell.

I wish I lived with the people of Cicely Alaska

Author: anniesrose from Colwyn PA
8 March 2006

The characters of NX are so real. Chris with his crazy philosophies, Maurice with his dream of an Alaskan Riviera, Joel who acted as though the only thing he wanted was to leave, Ed who always dreamed of being a big producer, Maggie looking for the perfect man (and finally finding him!), Holling and Shelley with their great love and of course Ruth-Anne and Marilyn looking on in amusement. I watched it from the beginning and will watch it until my eyes go.

If only it was real! I am collecting the whole series on DVD as quickly as it is being produced and only can dream along with them! I would surely love to find a town like that in this crazy day and age.

Still a favorite of mine. I loved Janine Turner(Maggie).

Author: Matt (lobokhan@hotmail.com) from United States
26 February 2006

One of the best shows to come out in the 1990's. Every episode was entertaining and never failed to pull me in and keep me coming back for more. Maggie was very hot with a sexy girl-next-door/outdoorsy look and personality. She made me wish I was Joel Fleissman! The actress playing her(Janine Turner), is still very sexy. Ed was a cool character, acting slow and weird but essentially a good natured film buff. I enjoyed the native American characters. They brought a natural/spiritual, zen-like feel to the show. Is there really a town like this anywhere? Somebody please let me know so I can see it for myself. I don't know why they ended the series. The show would have been fine if they didn't have Fleismann go back to New York. I think the show revolved too much around his character. Definitely worth buying all the seasons on DVD.

"NoEx" now on The Hallmark Channel

Author: Patrick E. Abe from Wahiawa, HI
11 February 2002

Yes, the Hallmark Hall of Fame people now broadcast "Northern Exposure" at least twice an evening for those wishing a jar of Holling's Special Brew and listening to Chris-in-the-Morning. (Unfortunately, like "WKRP In Cincinnati," these are "edited for syndication" episodes that differ markedly from the originals--I have 5 Laserdiscs and know what I speak of.) So, let's go to The Brick after a hard day dodging flung pianos and The Devil for a Moosehead and a Caribou Dog! ("I see the Minnifields are out for a walk tod

great experimental unconventional exposure

Author: lana lucas from slovenia
29 May 2004

I used to watch Northern Exposure series every time they were on. I simply adored it. It was years ago they were like once a week episode showing on television. I remember the most attractive and passionate feeling that overcame me as it was about seeing The Northern Exposure part. It was never the same but always fresh and at most interesting. The cast crew had this unique stiles and played the non-conventional role models. As to an artist, the Northern Exposers always gave me plenty of useful knowledge in building a theme or showing a scene or playing with the characteristics of an individual. There used to be this native American Indian's - shaman thing and musical influences (Chris and his radio station and about book information), different life styles, an age relations, it was all like funny but in serious ways. There were not any similar series that I would like that much and no other with such unique style and very own humorous way and life perspective as Northern Exposures. I miss it.

The Best Show Ever To Air!

Author: K. Furtado (kfurtado2@aol.com) from Grover Beach, CA USA
28 August 1999

I have been watching the series and it's subsequent reruns since it first came out in 1990. Having lived and worked in Alaska for several years, I was thrilled to see that Joshua Brand and John Falsey have really captured the wonderful "essence" of the Alaskan Spirit. Everyone in Alaska is a unique and interesting person because they are there because they WANT to and therefore make the place very neighborly and friendly. I never had more friends than when I lived in Alaska. After watching "Northern Exposure" and taking a return visit to Southeastern Alaska this past summer of 1999, I find that I want to return to the way of life that is really what is displayed in the "Northern Exposure" series. Bravo Brand and Falsey! Too bad the show had to end but I am grateful for reruns and VCR's! Thank you for such a wonderful and endearing show. Kathy A. Furtado in CA

We need more intellectually stimulating TV like Northern Exposure

Author: verite-2 from New York, NY
16 March 1999

When I saw the pilot for Northern Exposure, I saw a hit in the making. The setting was pure escapist for most of us in the lower 48, and the philosophical discussions courtesy of Chris in the morning on KBER were a pure delight. Essentially, the show demonstrated that anything is possible in this the best of all possible worlds. If you want to catapult a piano, do it. If the Aurora Borealis has strange powers to transfer dreams from one to another, see it as one of nature's mysteries and groove on it. The show was strong up until the point when Rob Morrow (Joel Fleischman) left. His character developed beautifully from the beginning to the end and played well against Maggie's independent personality. Fun to watch, you'll be pleasantly surprised when you expose yourself to Northern Exposure. It's TV for the mind (Not quite like the Bill Moyers series that explored the mind), but you'll energize from its good scripting and fine acting. Next stop, Cicely, Alaska...see you there!

One of the finest series I've ever had the pleasure to view.

Author: sylvia weinglass (slyjack2@aol.com) from Boynton Beach Fl.
25 February 1999

Each week, and now at least once a day I have the privilege of being part of Cicely. Each episode is another experience. Sorry to say that after Joel left I couldn't bear to watch. My dear friend and I discuss each episode via email since we live 1500 miles apart. We try to pick out favorite episodes but find it difficult to pinpoint just one. Each individual character is in a class by themselves. My friend and I refer only to character name and use NE as shortcut. The music is superb. We have been trying to get in touch with Falsey/Brand to give our thanks but so far no luck. The dream sequences, again the music, the marvelous acting, bring me to another wonderful world each time I am priveleged to watch this wonderful series. Thank you, thank you.

Great DVD

Author: joe-aronson from United States
1 May 2006

One of the most intelligently written shows ever...almost like a Woody Allen movie. The references are great and the characters even better.... Worth the over price cost of the DVDs... I would recommend it to anyone I am not trying to pad my comment but I can't Think of much Else to say I am happy Morrow's doing well on Numbers I know Jamie Turner's in Texas and hasn't really worked in awhile My favorite episode is "Jules et Joe" or "War and Peace" I also like when Maggie and Joel were at the hotel 10 lines is kind of a lot considering they mash them together Minnesota and Alaska seem a lot alike Can anyone recommend other shows like this?

Page 4 of 6: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [Next]