IMDb > "Keeping Up Appearances" (1990) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"Keeping Up Appearances"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

"Keeping Up Appearances" More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 7:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [Next]

Outstanding entertainment

Author: tpendleton from Charleston, WV
9 March 2005

I've been watching this British comedy for about 10 years now; first on PBS and then recently on BBS. I'm sure I've seen all 44 episodes; most of them more than once; some of them three times or more. And I've never gotten bored with a single one. It's true that some of the plots were pretty much repeated over and over. But, still, watching Hyacinth, Richard, Daisy, Onslow, and all the others always gave me a chuckle. I've seen them so many times now that I feel I know each character personally. I wish I could have attended one of Hyancith's candlelight suppers, or spent an afternoon watching TV with Onslow, or gone for an afternoon drive with Hyancith and Richard. It would have been a scream. Situation comedies, British or American, don't get much better than "Keeping Up Appearances".

excellent British comedy

Author: hyperexcel from USA
22 July 2003

The dry humour of the Brits has no problem mixing up the slapstick in Keeping Up Appearances, a delicious series poking fun at the social graces of upper crust English society in the eyes of a lowly middle-class British wife.

Patricia Routledge can't be more perfect as Hyacinth Bucket, the charming and altogether frightening definition of an English lady, despite her mediocre financial status. The series follows her incessant efforts to make a name for herself as a social elite, inviting neighbors and important townsfolk over for "candlelight suppers," among other social events she so daftly names. Of course, the whole Hyacinth image wouldn't be nearly as funny unless the hysterical supporting cast weren't there to ground Mrs. Bucket (pronounced "Bouquet") in her place. Her working class sisters, the hussy Rose and the meek Daisy are perfect as Hyacinth's inescapable link to mediocrity. The image is complete with Daisy's slob of a husband Onslo, who dispenses his frank advice with racous results. Rounding up the innocent bystanders of Hyacinth's misadventures are her nervous neighbor Elizabeth and her brother Emmitt, but most of all Hyacinth's whipped yet sardonic husband, Richard, whom you can't help but pity and root for at the same time.

This is a British comedy to end all comedies. The chances for conflict between Hyacinth's goal as a social mistress and her bourgeois reality are infinite, and the laugh track doesn't lie when Hyacinth is caught between a rock and a hard place - more often literally than figuratively. If you aren't a fan of Brit comedy, you may only be able to stomach a few episodes before the formula seems to wear. However, a true social connoiseur of such a series would scoff at the idea. :-)

Hyacinth inisist's that all things be simply the best & her show IS!

Author: Wolf (alphaspace) from Baltimore, Maryland
7 August 2001

All words fail to adequately describe our Hyacinth. To say she is a totally consumed, self important, myopic social climber is to be meek in one's definition. But our Hyacinth is also sweet in her own odd way. Hyacinth honestly wants to do good by and for all but she just wants to be seen be all the right people while in the midst of doing it. Her friends love her despite the fact that Hyacinth requires her friends to be long suffering and, selfless in their love of her. Hyacinth's son Sheridan who is suspected to be totally gay to everyone but her while off at University calls home constantly to his doting mommy and cash cow dad. She makes the post man, the power & light dude, tradesmen, heck all visitors to her home go through tons of changes like remove their shoes at the door. Hyacinth was just like my mother so I love her. Hyacinths family was awesome ranging from her one sister whose husband is a cross dressing turf accountant to Daisy whose husband is a Big bone idle man with a great heart and, a car thats s joke.

This is a awesome show from the UK and, the best imported show we here in the US have ever been graced with. If you love laughing till your sides hurt this is the show you must have.

Funnier than America's current sitcoms

Author: davilbr from Slidell, La.
12 July 2005

My wife and I discovered "Keeping up appearances" several years ago on PBS and we've been hooked ever since. As many times as we watch it, we never tire of Hyacinth's relentless efforts to climb the social latter within the backdrop of her less-than-classy family. KUA is certainly funnier than any sitcom produced in America today. The humor is an excellent mixture of traditional brit, old-fashioned slapstick and numerous sight gags and with facial expressions that are often more telling than dialogue. Patricia Routledge is the greatest comedic actress since Lucille Ball and couldn't possibly be more realistic in this hilarious role. She and her supporting cast lend such an element of realism to the show, one is almost tempted to look outside to see if they may be lurking next door! kudos and cheers to the Brits for this classic.

The Actors

Author: minimeburton from Australia
17 June 2005

Absolutely fabulous TV series. Great Actors are Patricia Routledge (Hyacinth), Clive Swift (Richard), Josephine Tewson (Elizabeth), and many more. I think it is a fabulous, interesting and very hilarious TV series. I saw Patrica at a Show she did at a venue in Sydney, Australia. Her acting skills are fantastic. She has the knowledge of a professional comedian. She is just one of the best actors (to me) in the world. I read and interview on her on the internet, and she has no need to retire. She says "Retirment, hmmmmmmm..........Rubbish it is. Can't even spell the word" quite frankly, with her skills, I am with her 100%. Clive Swift is another great actor, but also 7 years younger then her, still has a bit of acting skills to catch up on her. Josephine Tewson, another fabulous actor, plays the timid neighbor, Elizabeth. Every time she 'pops in' for a cup of tea or coffee, she ends up spilling something or breaking on of Hyacinths porcelain cups! All the actors on Keeping Up Appearances are great, and should start to think about making another series. WELL DONE!!!

One of the BEST British comedy's ever made!

Author: soap_expert from Scotland
15 June 2004

Keeping Up Appearances has got to be one of my favourite shows EVER!

I remember watching it years ago when it was first on BBC1, and thinking it was SOOO funny! Now it's back on UK Gold, and I can't help but watch it every time it's on.

Patrcia Routledge as Hyacinth is fantastic! The casting and acting are perfect. OK, as some people have pointed out, there are so many running jokes - but that is what is all part of what makes this show great!

Hyacinth's candlelight suppers, her answering the phone "the Bucket residence, the lady of the house speaking!", Elizabth constantly spilling her coffee, always trying to resist her daily order from Hyacinth for morning coffee, Emmett and "she'll sing at me", Onslow "Oh Nice", Vilot - "It's MA Sister Violet, "Daddy!", the vicar, Rose and Mr. whoever, and throughout all this poor old Richard, lol.

And one of the best and most famous Hyacinth lines - "Sauna, Swimming Pool and room for a pony!!!!"

It is a true proper British comedy, and is up there with the likes of that other great 90's BBC sitcom - One Foot in the Grave. And also the likes of To The Manor Born, The Good Life, and Some Mothers Do 'Ave 'Em.

Everybody you talk to always raises a smile when you mention "the Bucket woman"!

Only the other day I watched an episode when Hyacinth wanted to test drive a new Rolls Royce so she could get one-up on another one of her posh local rivals - Lydia Hawsworth, whom had just overtaken them in her brand new Jag.

She made Richard drive it out of the garage without the salesman's permission, and take it to this posh hotel deliberately, as she knew this was where this woman had afternoon tea. Of course Rose, Daisy and Onslow turn up as usual, so they have to get out of there before she bumps into them - how embarrassing! lol. When they get into her "getaway car" as she callas it to Richard, the police turn up and arrest them outside the hotel! And then just at that point who turns up but Lydia Hawksworth!

This is just an example of how great this show is!

Quite frankly, I really don't understand how anybody could NOT like it!

If they don't, then I actually feel slightly sorry for them - as they are missing out on so much enjoyment!

Oh...and contrary to what somebody has said - in my opinion it is just about the closest thing to perfection that a sitcom can get!

Hilarious!!!!

Author: wwjd1983ad from Green Bay, WI
11 October 2002

I watch this program on PBS all the time!! It is so funny!!! Many times it is much funnier than other American sitcoms on the networks. What makes it so funny is Hyacinth's character; she is both believeable and UNbelievable at the same time!! I recommend this show to everyone who wants a laugh!

Love it!

Author: Meaghan Edwards from Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
26 June 2005

I have been watching Keeping Up Appearances for a number of years now, starting from when I was in middle school. My parents have always been fans of the show from day one and initially I didn't think the idea of a snobbish housewife driving her husband crazy being all that funny. Back then Mr. Bean was the only BritCom I liked, but when I saw my first episode of this classic comedy, I became hooked.

Everyone is fantastic for their roles, especially Patricia Routledge as Hyacinth Bouquet. It is a shame that the show is no longer in production but nonetheless I enjoy watching the reruns over and over again and I am planning on purchasing KUA on DVD.

mighty british comedy !!!

Author: lior_survivor from Tel Aviv, Israel
17 December 2003

when i first saw keeping up appearances i thought it was funny, nice and delight, but after a couple of episodes i was amazed by the great actors such as hyacinth, richard, onslow, rose and daisy. they are just funny and perfect for their characters....

5 seasons 5 years of pure comedy the best of britain...

Fantastic!

Author: serendipity from Calgary, Canada
23 October 2000

This show is truly hilarious with its superb writing, excellent physical comedy and biting wit! Although Routledge lights up the screen with her portrayal of class-conscious Hyacinth, she is well supported by a varied and talented supporting cast. From Violet (the sister with a Mercedes and room for a pony) to library-book reading Daisy, the cast provides non-stop laughter and storylines that keep you watching to discover the next crazy twist. Hyacinth's flamboyant snobbery and utter self-absorption is an excellent contrast to her straight, resigned husband Richard. The running jokes 'Appearances' provides keep you laughing from the theme song to the closing credits. You will tune in for each episode to witness another round of Rose's declarations of love, Hyacinth's worries about whether the post will realize she is of a social standing that should only receive FIRST class mail, Sheridan's requests of money and avoidance of women (reportedly because Mummy asks - not because of his dubious interests!) and Elizabeth's inevitable break of china or spill of tea. Watch it! You won't regret it!

Page 1 of 7:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [Next]